Los Angeles area: Buying the CORRECT HD Antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Los Angeles area: Buying the CORRECT HD Antenna

sorry... I think I previously posted this question in the wrong forum...

I live in the SoCal area. have cut the cable and want to buy an outdoor HD antenna... but have a few questions.

Many of the antenna's I'm looking at state they are UHF antennas... am I to understand that ALL the HD channels are now on the UHF band and not VHF??? OR, do I need an antenna that pulls in both, UHF and VHF?? My goal is to pull in the major networks: CBS 2; NBC 4; KTLA 5; ABC 7; KCAL 9; KTTV 11; KCOP 13... and any of their sub stations like Cozy TV and KTLA's Antenna TV stations

I am located about 30 miles from Mt Wilson (in a direct line), and the antenna will be install on a mast on my roof.

The units I'm looking at are:

1) Wineguard - Flatwave Air, HL6550A
2) Antenna's Direct - DB8e
3) Channel Master - 4228HD

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
RCA Ant751 http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur.../dp/B0024R4B5C

It's half the price and does both VHF and UHF...yes you need both in SoCal.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Post your TVFool plot. Antenna requirements are based on your location and surroundings as well as the mix of local stations. See NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post for instructions.

Los Angeles requires an antenna that reliably receives VHF channels 7-13 & UHF channels 14-51. Of the three antennas you named, none of them do well on both sets of channels. The RCA that Charles O named is a decent suburban combo that does meet the general requirements for LA, but your location determines if it will be sufficient or not.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Also, remember that a VHF-HB with UHF antenna (like the ANT-751) will not include channels 2-6 and FM Radio.
The upcoming "repack" of OTA channels "may" require some stations to move back to low-band VHF channels 2-6.
A full-band (or, "all band") antenna will work for those channels, and for FM Radio.
You could also use a small yagi, or an omni-directional FM-only antenna for radio.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page