Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2402 Old 10-29-2002, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wygren,

You can't record HDTV programs like a Tivo on these units. There are no HDTV PVRs in the market yet.

Recording programs off the 160 will be down to your everyday VCR using S-Video. Recording off the 165 will have to use the JVC D-VHS using the IEEE-1394 firewire output.

If you are computer savvy, check out the HTPC thread for using a PC for recording OTA HDTV.

Please review the following threads for more education:

1) HDTV FAQ (HDTV Hardware)

2) HDTV Recorders

3) HDTV Programming (for OTA broadcast info in your area).

4) www.TitanTV.com (for OTA schedule in Dallas

5) www.samsungusa.com for product specs of 160 and 165.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2402 Old 10-29-2002, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Josey Wales
So, I'll just mention again, if anyone knows the serial numbers for the bad batch of 160s w/the chroma problem (including those who've already returned their faulty tuner), it would help many of us out here!
I agree, it would help, but at this point I don't know if Samsung even knows what serial numbers have the problem. Take Tom Roper's case: he didn't know whether he had the chroma problem or not, he called Samsung, and they apparently agreed to exchange his unit without asking him the serial number to determine if his unit has the problem.
post #183 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can anyone tell me if the 160 will accept your atenna (OTA) signal and D* signal (combined using a diplexer) into one cable and then into the house with one cable only, like the Hughes E86 and its clones does.

Or do you have to run two line into the house, one for D* and one for OTA antenna?

Jeff
post #184 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 09:08 AM

You can use a diplexer to get the signal into the house on one cable. Just use another diplexer to separate the signals before plugging them into the 160. I do not think it will accept OTA and D* together through a single input.
post #185 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the reason Samsung won't identify or confirm the serial numbers for its defective TS160 units is that they'd then be obliged to offer to replace all of those affected units, even for customers who hadn't complained. By not acknowledging certain affected serial numbers, they only have to do swaps for customers who've heard about the problems in forums like this or are discerning enough to notice.

Call me a cynic, but if the shoe fits.....
post #186 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 10:55 AM

ok gents... Something very strange occured during Monday Night Football. I have had my 160 for nearly a month. Every time I tuned to 12-1 (ABC HD), the box would experience the lock up issue discussed in depth on this forum. It did not matter what type of broadcast was coming across 12-1, the lock always occured resulting in my unplugging the unit, downloading channel guide, etc... HOWEVER, Monday night during the football game, I made the mistake and accidentally switched to 12-1 instead of the regular satellite feed. To my surprise, the lock-up did not occur and I was watching the game on ABC's HD channel even though the game was not in HD. I have checked this channel several times over the past two days and the lock-up is definitely not happening anymore. Has anyone else checked in the last couple days if the lock-up issue is gone on your 160? Is it possible DirecTV has already pushed out the software fix?
post #187 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That raises another question for me. What would happen to all the TS-160s still in the box, unpacked?

Tom
post #188 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Am I missing something?

Mick53, You said first:

"Every time I tuned to 12-1 (ABC HD), the box would experience the lock up issue"

Then you said:

I made the mistake and accidentally switched to 12-1 instead of the regular satellite feed.

You indicated both were exactly the same channel. Both being 12-1. What changed?

Rees
post #189 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:17 AM

D* did do a software download on Tuesday.
post #190 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:28 AM

Good question Rees. I was not very clear there. Always in the past, when I tuned to 12-1 (ABC OTA HD), the lock up would occur. However, Monday night I switched to 12-1 by mistake using the channel guide. Keep in mind that I have never had the lock up issue on any other channel than this. In addition, I never took the step to remove this channel or other OTA channels from the channel guide. Basically, my approach has been to just not tune to this channel. Normally, the lock up would occur within 5 seconds of switching to 12-1. However, since Monday night when I tuned into 12-1 for Monday Night Football (meant to tune to just 12) , the lock up did not occur and has not since. Therefore, from what I have seen on my 160, the lock-up issue no longer exists.

I hope this makes sense.
post #191 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

"D* did do a software download on Tuesday."

They did?? I checked the System Information page in the setup menu and it says no future upgrades available. The last software download shown is from August.
post #192 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mick53:

The lock up issue is determined entirely whether the PSIP data has changed or not since the last time the receiver was tuned to that station. If the data was not updated by the station then you would not have a problem. If the data was updated by the station then you would. Simple as that. PSIP data is that portion of the digital data stream which defines, in part, not only the virtual channel number but also any guide information. Hope that helps.

Rees
post #193 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:57 AM

So Rees... what you are saying is it is likely my local ABC broadcaster changed the PSIP data stream which resulted in the 160 not locking up, correct?. However, it is possible if they change the data stream back to what it was previously, the lock-up will occur. This makes sense. Thanks for bursting my bubble :-) Just kidding of course.
post #194 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 11:57 AM

So Rees... what you are saying is it is likely my local ABC broadcaster changed the PSIP data stream which resulted in the 160 not locking up, correct?. However, it is possible if they change the data stream back to what it was previously, the lock-up will occur. This makes sense. Thanks for bursting my bubble :-) Just kidding of course.
post #195 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"D* did do a software download on Tuesday."

They did?? I checked the System Information page in the setup menu and it says no future upgrades available. The last software download shown is from August.
I concur. Last software version 8/11/02, 1.0.04

Tom
post #196 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Folks:

I just checked with my contact. There was no download for the TS-160 Tuesday. He reports that everything is still "on track" however for a later update.

But to be totally fair, there was a download from Directv for Sony receivers. I own and operate 2 of them and both receivers reported a successful download. However, that download should not be construed to mean it has anything to do with any updates for the Samsung TS-160.

I hope that clarifies things.

Rees
post #197 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 02:47 PM

Stupid question here, but where exactly is the serial number located on the 160s? I looked all over the physical unit itself and haven't been able to find a serial number anywhere. There are a couple of numbers on the box the 160 came in (IRD # and A/C #) - is one of these the serial number or have I just not looked in the right spot yet?

GO BLUE!
post #198 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the IRD # is the same as the serial number. Also, you can go into the setup menu under "system information" and find the serial number there, right along with your access card number.
post #199 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I am working to get some reference links in my signature. Currently they do not work. I am working with avsforum admin to fix this. If you click on them they merely go to the top of the topic.

:) Stay Tuned :)

Rees

Rees
post #200 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Just got the help I needed from avsforum admin. The links now work. They are reference links for anyone who wants to see the original links to answers in this topic. I hope this helps everyone.

Rees
post #201 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 09:01 PM

Since I just got a 160 I'm going to throw in my 2 cents as well. So far I've been very happy with it.

The picture rocks both on High def and regular channels. I haven't tried integrating over the air stuff yet but the channel guide is pretty slick. It's got all the snazzy outputs on the back, etc.

I haven't had any issues with the sound - I'm using an optical cable to a dolby digital receiver and the 5.1 sounds great.

It's not all roses however - problems I have encountered:

I got the red push problem, but corrected that via the TV color setup, etc.

I got the "invalid access card" a couple of times at first. I found that problem the most annoying so I hope it gets fixed - seems like a minor software/firmware fix.

The caller ID doesn't show the name - not the end of the world but would be nice to have.

And finally, I can't get replay TV to work with this unit. From other threads, it looks like Tivo got it working ok and someone from Replay is on the case so I imagine this will be fixed too.

I wish it had been a couple of hundred bucks cheaper but otherwise I'm glad I got it. I bought a 65" HiDef TV about 6 months ago and until I got the 160, I hadn't seen a hi def signal on it. Once I did, I just stared at channel 199 for hours until the drool ran down my chin. :)
post #202 of 2402 Old 10-30-2002, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have sent an email to my contact at Samsung about the Replay TV Infrared codes issue. I will hopefully get a response soon and will share it here.

:) Stay Tuned :)

Rees
post #203 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm planning on picking up a Samsung SIR-TS160 as soon as they're in stock at Best Buy, possibly today.

I'm familiar with the chroma bug, the PSIP problem, and the access card problem, but are there any other issues with the 160? I read someone mention a picture geometry problem, where the entire picture is off center.

Quote:
Originally posted by s2silber
It's most apparent when viewing an SD picture in "Normal" 4:3 mode on a 16:9 TV. The pillar on one side is about an inch-and-a-half wider than the other side. In wide mode, it's a general lopsidedness to the picture. This problem has been referenced by others in this forum.
Quote:
Originally posted by DLB
1 1/2" shift to right with DVI - should be able to fix it with software raster adjustment menu item (just like RCA DTC100)
Do you guys with the 160 have this problem? Can you describe it more precisely? Has Samsung acknowledged it? Does anyone with a 160 not have this problem?

Are there any other problems with the 160 other than the ones I mentioned in this post?

Thanks!
post #204 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 09:36 AM

Just to clarify, if we have the chroma push problem, we need to call 800-522-2946, correct? That problem can't be fixed via firmware?
post #205 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

DLiquid,

Best Buy in Marin City has 160 in stock.
post #206 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks duffin. That's a bit far for me to drive, especially considering how wary I am of buying this thing.

I don't have an HDTV-ready TV yet, but I plan on installing my dish and OTA antenna soon and I want the 160 so I can use it to adjust the dish and antenna, and watch DirecTV and OTA ATSC of course, even if it is through S-video. That way everything will be ready once I purchase my TV later this year.

I also plan on getting two of the new Hughes DirecTiVos, and if those were out right now I'd probably use those to set up the dish and wait on the 160 until closer to my TV purchase.

Part of the reason I'm unsure about the 160 is that I'm not sure I'd even be able to see the chroma problem through S-video on my 32" Panasonic direct view set. How long is the Samsung warranty on the 160, anyway?
post #207 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 12:11 PM

To answer my own post above, I just called 1-800-522-2946. The lady there knew immediately what I meant when I asked about the Chroma/Red problem with the TS160.

She said an update via the satellite would be going out in 2 weeks (approx). I asked her if she's sure about that cause the conseses in the forum seems to be that it's a hardware issue that can only be fixed by replacing the unit.

She assured me that was not the case and the fix would be forthcoming.

Not sure what to believe now, but thought I would pass along the info anyway.

I also told her to thank the Samsung engineers for being so responsive. And while I'm at it, a big thanks to ReesR for being a superstar.
post #208 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

DLiquid,

Check www.samsungusa.com for warranty info.

If you do come to Marin, I'll give you a new basic DirecTV dish and old NTSC Sony DirecTV box for free to get going. This will help me clean the garage out. :}

But I charge to play with my HLM437W.
post #209 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My replacement TS160 came in from Samsung. It was shipped without the remote control, instructions, and access card, just the receiver alone.

Without the access card, I can only watch channels 200 and 201, PPV previews and Customer News with Matt Gallant and Tanya Memme.

DirecTV is Fed-X'ng an access card. They will not reauthorize the one from the first receiver to work in the second.

Here are a few viewing observations since direct comparisons on channel 201 are possible.

The Red Push...the reason I sent it back. As I said, I wasn't sure I was seeing it before, although practically everyone else (it seems) was. Reading about it enough, and whether I was seeing it or not, I was starting to go crazy about it. The replacement unit, from about 15 minutes of direct comparison to the old unit on the same channel, (201), I still remain unsure if I see any difference in chroma. I think the possibility is very strong, that the unit I'm sending back did not have the red chroma problem others are noting, and thus the replacement unit fixes a problem I did not have. It's going to take some more critical viewing after receiving my new access card from DirecTV to verify this. If true, this would offer some support, that shipping units don't necessarily have a red chroma push.

Date codes and serial numbers:
Both units were manufactured in September 2002. I don't want to reveal serial numbers for security concerns, but I will tell you that the first seven (7) digits of the serial number are the same for both units. The serial number is in HEX. The last 3 digits are separated by 081Eh, which if sequential, would indicate 2078 units apart.

Quote:
Originally posted by s2silber
It's most apparent when viewing an SD picture in "Normal" 4:3 mode on a 16:9 TV. The pillar on one side is about an inch-and-a-half wider than the other side. In wide mode, it's a general lopsidedness to the picture. This problem has been referenced by others in this forum.
I noted on the original tuner, the SD picture in 4:3 mode on the Samsung HLM507W, the pillar on one side was about one inch wider than the other side, i.e. picture was shifted to the right. I went into the service menu of the tv set, and adjusted parameter "POS-X" from 150 to 140. This centered the picture. On the replacement tuner, the 4:3 picture remains centered. Whether the offset error corrected earlier was in the tv set, or the TS160 remains in question, but the offset of the two TS160 tuners are consistent relative to each other. I don't consider it a defect in any case, since adjustments are provided to center the picture.

More later...

Tom
post #210 of 2402 Old 10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
I noted on the original tuner, the SD picture in 4:3 mode on the Samsung HLM507W, the pillar on one side was about one inch wider than the other side, i.e. picture was shifted to the right. I went into the service menu of the tv set, and adjusted parameter "POS-X" from 150 to 140. This centered the picture. On the replacement tuner, the 4:3 picture remains centered. Whether the offset error corrected earlier was in the tv set, or the TS160 remains in question, but the offset of the two TS160 tuners are consistent relative to each other. I don't consider it a defect in any case, since adjustments are provided to center the picture.
You don't consider it a defect? Hmmm.... If the adjustments you made were on the TS160 and not on the service menu of your TV, I'd agree.

So the the adjustment you made in your TV's (HLM507W, right?) service mode only apply to the DVI input? That is, you didn't screw up the other inputs by modifying POS-X, right? What about HDTV through the 160? Presumably, you shifted that over also when you modified POS-X. Did that look off-center before? Does it now?
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page