Antenna to Cable Box PVR - Is it Possible? No - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Antenna to Cable Box PVR - Is it Possible? No

Hey Folks
I have a FlatWave FL5500 amplified HDTV antenna made by Winegard that I want to run into a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD PVR.
I live in a condo and the indoor antenna gives me over 20 some odd stations in crystal clear quality. I want the ability to record these channels, pause them, rewind, etc. Plus I run all cables to my TV, wirelessly, with an IOGEAR wireless 3D-HD kit, model GW3DHDKIT to my Sony 70 inch KDL-70R550A 3D TV. This has kept me from having to run messy wires up the wall or try to run wires and cables in the concrete walls to the TV which is mounted on a CHIEF PDR2000B wall mount. I also have a Sony Blu-ray player, BDP-S5100, connected to the IOGEAR using the HDMI.
I figured the Explorer 8300HD would help me kill two birds with one stone.
A) i hoped it would convert the antenna's coaxial output to an HDMI output. The IOGEAR only accepts HDMI, so if I want to keep the system "wireless" and avoid cables connecting straight to the TV, I need to get the antenna's Coaxial output into HDMI, so the IOGEAR can then "broadcast it".
B) it would allow me to be able to record shows, rewind, pause, etc.

I purchased the Explorer 8300HD and It tells me that it needs to activated. How do I activate the PVR when I don't have and don't want cable? I simply want a way to convert the coaxial to HDMI and a way to record, rewind and pause the shows I'm watching?
Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 04:11 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Short answer: NO!

Long answer: NO!!!

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Your cable box is for cable signals only, it won't tune or record ATSC or what we get OTA. I know some satellite DVRs may have a OTA tuner but I've never seen a cable tuner that had that option.
Your cheapest option is something like a iView or Homeworx tuner/DVR. It's a VERY basic(no real guide unless you count PSIP) and only has a single tuner that while it allows chaseplay, you cannot be recording while viewing a different recorded program, it's VERY basic(~$45 price). That said in theory it will do what you want, convert OTA coax to HDMI and has the ability to record.
For more about the iView or Homework, or even a much better but more expensive($250+??) option the Channel Master DVR+ dual tuner DVR that has a real Rovi 14 day guide, check out the HDTV Recorders forum right here at AVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical