OTA antenna extender? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrow OTA antenna extender?

I just cut the cable, and now using OTA amplified antenna to get my local channels.

Question I have is, I have a room in the center of my home that I want to place a tv in.
There is a window in the room, but it is across the room on the other side.
Does anyone know if there is some kind of "wireless" extension kit or wireless OTA antenna that I can hook up to the back of the panel, but have the receiver be placed more close to the window to get better reception? I want to try to avoid hanging a coax cable or anything from the panel on the wall across the room to the window.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
I just cut the cable, and now using OTA amplified antenna to get my local channels.

Question I have is, I have a room in the center of my home that I want to place a tv in.
There is a window in the room, but it is across the room on the other side.
Does anyone know if there is some kind of "wireless" extension kit or wireless OTA antenna that I can hook up to the back of the panel, but have the receiver be placed more close to the window to get better reception? I want to try to avoid hanging a coax cable or anything from the panel on the wall across the room to the window.

thanks
Tablo or simple tv and a roku will do that, and give you a dvr.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
I think the OP's question was asking for an apple, your reply is giving him an orange.

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
I think the OP's question was asking for an apple, your reply is giving him an orange.
ive never seen a "near window, wireless" apple before.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #5 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So basically you're looking for a device that wirelessly transmits the VHF/UHF tv RF bands...doubt the FCC would ever approve of such a device...or at least I haven't seen one. Is there no coax output by where you're putting the TV? You can use the same coax you used for cableTV.

Last edited by bac522; 01-30-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I was just throwing the idea out there. Unsure if such a device exists.

...although the Tablo looks interesting

Last edited by kenchi; 01-30-2015 at 01:19 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
...although the Tablo looks interesting
Except you need a way to display the info on your TV, unless you have a smart TV which opens up the options.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Except you need a way to display the info on your TV, unless you have a smart TV which opens up the options.
yes, it's a smart tv. (LG 84UB9800)
post #9 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

... actually after reading the Tablo, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thank you.
As long as I can get OTA HD channels without the need to hook up a coaxial cable antenna, I think this will work. thanks
post #10 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
ive never seen a "near window, wireless" apple before.
That's when it's time to say "those apples don't grow on this planet" . . .

and Bring Back Huddler!

post #11 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
... actually after reading the Tablo, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thank you.
As long as I can get OTA HD channels without the need to hook up a coaxial cable antenna, I think this will work. thanks
It might be just what you're looking for. But you should investigate the gotcha's before you plunk down your money. Like 10 second channels changes, etc.

and Bring Back Huddler!

post #12 of 21 Old 01-30-2015, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
It might be just what you're looking for. But you should investigate the gotcha's before you plunk down your money. Like 10 second channels changes, etc.
10 seconds ... yikes
post #13 of 21 Old 01-31-2015, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 98
You COULD try hooking up two Antenna's Back-to-Back, preferably PASSIVE, DIRECTIONAL Antennas, such as fol, which is "similar" to old Silver Sensor...but I warn you, the resultant signal levels might not be adequate....YMMV. The two Antennas should be mounted as far away from each other as is practical, the second Antenna away from Windows if possible. BTW: I doubt you will cause any interference problems, since it's roughly equivalent to having a fortuitous "bounce" off your neighbor's homes:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Log.../dp/B0002NRK8K
I'm still using rabbits ear antenna for my HDTV, need better stronger Antenna signal
There are also many DIY Projects to chose from, see my ANTENNA SIMULATIONS link below. Unfortunately, NON-AMPLIFIED Terk HDTVi and Silver Sensor Antennas are no longer readily available.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to NOT simply insert an Amplified Antenna or Amplifier between the Antennas...first of all you are ALSO amplifying signals OUTSIDE the TV Bands, which is ILLEGAL and affects SAFETY OF FLIGHT for overflying Aircraft....it also can set up a Feedback Multipath "Loop" as the Amplified signal bounces it's way back into the first Antenna. In (expensive) Commercial Products a Single Channel Filter for EACH desired channel (or a limited bandwidth Multi-Channel Filter) is used on the OUTPUT to prevent the Amplifier Noise from degrading reception for everyone in the neighborhood, including perhaps your OWN Receive Antenna.

Better performance can be provided by two OUTDOOR Back-to-Back Antennas, with the first receiving a much stronger signal and the second using a HIGHER GAIN Antenna of your choice to direct signals THRU your window into the middle of the room. This also allows Directional Hi-VHF/UHF Combo Antennas to be used, such as Back-to-Back RCA ANT-751's....or larger....

FWIW: I did some rough signal level estimates for an ACTIVE REPEATER in the fol. PASSIVE REPEATER THREAD:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ter#post988910
And info on actual Repeater implementations can be found here, where it is not uncommon in the Great Outback:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...er#post1060579

Repeater Signal Level Calculations:
https://app.box.com/shared/ckfbf117io

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-31-2015 at 02:19 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I actually ended up getting the Tablo.
The channel changing does take some time but sometimes it's buffered in and only takes a couple seconds. Sometimes longer but usually not 10sec.
It is exactly what I needed and works perfectly in my secluded area of the house where my tv will not get any ota signal at all.
post #15 of 21 Unread 04-23-2015, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
TV in remote location - solutions to get OTA TV to it

Hello,

I did some searches and found some information but I could not find my specific situation before growing tired of reading through every thread. I hope someone can give me some good solutions to my problem.

I ordered an antenna to install in my attic and our main TV is above our fireplace which is on an exterior wall. Currently I have an AV Receiver that supports HDMI switching, I apologize for my ignorance if there is a more appropriate acronym or name for that device. The AV equipment is about 20ft away on an interior wall, while the TV above the gas fireplace is on an exterior wall. Because of this I used the RG6 that was ran to the TV location above the fireplace to pull a CAT 6 cable and a CL3 rated HDMI Cable. hind sight being what it is I wish I pulled another RG6 cable. This was a very difficult pull because it is in the dog house of the gas fireplace and I really do not want to pull the TV and make this pull again. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop hooked up to the AV receiver that is running XBMC to play movies off of a NAS device, I do not know if that would add to any possible solutions. The laptop is older and isn't as reliable as I would like. I also purchased a Fire TV box to use after I turn off the cable.

What solutions are their to use the HDMI cable to get the OTA signal to the TV?

I am hoping there is a coax to HDMI converter/box that will keep the HD signal.
post #16 of 21 Unread 04-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Tablo Tv and a Roku. Put the Tablo near the antenna and your network (ethernet or wifi) and connect Roku to your tv via wifi or ethernet. only downside is that you wont get 5.1 sound if its important. Tablo doesnt do 5.1.

post #17 of 21 Unread 04-23-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Any OTA HD-STB or (better yet) HD-DVR can be connected to Antenna's RG-6 Coax and one of your AVR's HDMI Inputs. Best HD-DVR's come from TiVo (e.g. Roamio OTA) but have a mandatory monthly service fee for access to their Excellent OTA Program Guide that it gets via Internet (WiFi or direct connect to Router). [Guide data delivered via OTA signals is VERY, VERY limited in what they provide.]

Best choice for HD-DVR without monthly fees seems to be Channel Master 7500. And for HD-STB's: Channel Master 7001 (aka Centronics ZAT502):
OTA HD-STB's and HD-DVR's: The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis!
HD-DVR Threads: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders
post #18 of 21 Unread 04-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Threads merged and retitled.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 04-23-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #19 of 21 Unread 04-25-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Alternative solution - two Raspberry Pi 2s. One running TV Headend (under Raspbian, OpenElec etc.) with an OTA USB tuner, the other plugged into your TV running OpenElec. Connect the two using WiFi or cabled ethernet.

Plug a USB hard drive into the TV Headend one and you get a PVR too.
post #20 of 21 Unread 04-25-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bitner View Post
Hello,

I did some searches and found some information but I could not find my specific situation before growing tired of reading through every thread. I hope someone can give me some good solutions to my problem.

I ordered an antenna to install in my attic...

...and our main TV is above our fireplace which is on an exterior wall.

Currently I have an AV Receiver that supports HDMI switching... The AV equipment is about 20ft away on an interior wall, while the TV above the gas fireplace is on an exterior wall.

Because of this I used the RG6 that was ran to the TV location above the fireplace to pull a CAT 6 cable and a CL3 rated HDMI Cable. hind sight being what it is I wish I pulled another RG6 cable...

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop hooked up to the AV receiver that is running XBMC to play movies off of a NAS device...

I also purchased a Fire TV box to use after I turn off the cable.

What solutions are their to use the HDMI cable to get the OTA signal to the TV?

I am hoping there is a coax to HDMI converter/box that will keep the HD signal.

I don't quite understand your problem, it sounds like you have the following running to your TV now:

1 RG6 coaxial cable
1 HDMI cable
1 CAT6 network cable

Why would you need a second RG6 coaxial cable?

If you hook up your Tv HDMI-In to your AV receiver HDMI-out, then connect your computer and FireTv to your AV receiver HDMI-in ports.

To connect up your Tv antenna for OTA, there are couple of options:

1) If "cutting the cord", use the RG6 coaxial cable going to your Tv, find the end of the RG6, disconnect from your cable company and connect it to your antenna...

2) Purchase a tuner device, place it near your AV equipment, connect the antenna to it, and connect the tuner to your AV receiver via another HDMI-In port. The tuner could be a non-recording type (DVR Pal, etc),or a recording device (Tivo, Channel Master DVR+, etc).

3) Purchase a HDHomeRun tuner, connect it to your network and your TV antenna, then use your XBMC/Kodi computer to watch OTA.
post #21 of 21 Unread 04-25-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
I don't quite understand your problem, it sounds like you have the following running to your TV now:

1 RG6 coaxial cable
1 HDMI cable
1 CAT6 network cable

Why would you need a second RG6 coaxial cable?

If you hook up your Tv HDMI-In to your AV receiver HDMI-out, then connect your computer and FireTv to your AV receiver HDMI-in ports.

To connect up your Tv antenna for OTA, there are couple of options:

1) If "cutting the cord", use the RG6 coaxial cable going to your Tv, find the end of the RG6, disconnect from your cable company and connect it to your antenna...

2) Purchase a tuner device, place it near your AV equipment, connect the antenna to it, and connect the tuner to your AV receiver via another HDMI-In port. The tuner could be a non-recording type (DVR Pal, etc),or a recording device (Tivo, Channel Master DVR+, etc).

3) Purchase a HDHomeRun tuner, connect it to your network and your TV antenna, then use your XBMC/Kodi computer to watch OTA.
I used to have RG6 but used it as a pull string for the HDMI and CAT6

I ended up getting the Tablo and Fire TV for my solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
antenna , Ota