I Have My Samsung Sir-t165 As Of Today!!! - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Fontana
[*]I haven't figured out how to directly enter sub-channels on the keypad yet. Like suppose I want to go to channel 4-1? The Sony HD-100 I had on loan had a "dot" button on the remote to accomplish this, but the T165 does not. Maybe I'm missing something obvious...
You're not missing anything. There is no "-" or similar feature to directly find digital subchannels. In the Menu, when you do the channel scan, the receiver will go to each numbered channel and find and insert into your channel lineup the analog and digital channels which correspond. But you can't directly enter a subchannel, you can simply go to it by using the channel or favorite channel buttoms. Why Samsung wouldn't have a "-" button is beyond me.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
[B[*]My unit does make the high-pitched whine some others have mentioned. I agree with the hypothesis that it is coming from the power supply, as the tone's intensity varies with the apparent load...
[/b]
My unit is quiet. I plugged in firewire cable right away. Someone else said they had a whine which went away as soon as they plugged in firewire cable. Try it. If this doesn't work, call Samsung and complain and let us know what they say.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #273 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderthud
If you hit the info button on the remote, at least part of the info display stays on the screen. Have to turn the box off and on to get rid of it. Same for the digital stereo indicator, it doesn't always go away on the screen... turn off and on again.
There's an "Exit" button on the remote. Hit that and it should get rid of it.

post #274 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Thunder,

Quote:
2. Unfortunately, the two boxes do share the same remote signals (mostly). Need to put duct tape over the box you don't want switched
Well, at least the Sammy won't get warts...

Actually something like Crestron, using different IR ports will do the trick.

Oh, Steve, did your ISF calibrator use an HDTV signal generator?

Thank you very much

Fury
post #275 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Absoutely he used the Sencore signal generator, which does everything including all HD. See my review of this re-ISFing of my video setup. Michael Hamilton lives here in Phoenix and is available to do meticulousing ISFing ov video displays!!!

post #276 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 04:49 PM
lmn

Liked: 10
There are two antenna inputs, one for OTA, and one for cable. Is there any way to intermix OTA and cable, or at least to select one or the other easily from a single button on the remote? It seems like it only allows you to switch in the channels menu -- not too convenient... I must be missing something...

The manual mentions that on a 16x9 monitor the 4x3 pillar bars should be black. Mine are gray for all analog stations, and on some digital stations. Is there anyway to make them black? It seems like a huge oversight for this not to be an option...

I also find dark areas of the picture to lack detail... Overall the picture is on the dark side. I'm connected via DVI to a Samsung 507 DLP. I've tried all the tweaks, but the only way to get detail the blacks is to turn up the brightness and contrast, and even then the black are not as good as they should be...

Thanks
post #277 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

The TI65 puts the Grey bars on.I also found out that when hooked up to my GWII through the DVI I lose the zoom function on the T165 and the GWII. On the T165 I can go to letterbox or full and on the GWII it will only stay on full and no other options. I hope they come with a cure on this. This is for channels that are broadcasting in HD only. If they go to SD mode then I can use the zoom on the T165. The GWII stays the same on Full only. On HD sometimes I have Grey bars and some times they are black as the station is broadcasting in 16:9 with black bars on the side to give the picture a 4:3 format. If it is in wide screen format I get the full picture. If it is in 4:3 format I get the Grey bars. I hope this makes sense to you.

Just an update. I can now receive 6 DTV channels. Two are from Milwaukee 85 miles away with no dropouts whatsoever. I should have 5 more within 2 months. Most HD formats are 4:3 but it will switch to wide screen 16:9 automatically when the content is there. Overall I am very happy with this unit. 11 DTV stations in less than two months from now and more to follow make buying and installing my stacked Televes DAT 75's antennas worthwhile.
post #278 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 09:19 PM

This is in reference to the problem I am having with the local PBS station. The 165 would not acquire the signal but if I leave it for some length of time (30min-1hr) and I come back the picture is there. Change the channel and change it back... gone.

Now I notice that the lip sync is way off when the signal finally comes in. What is going on here. Seems it does not have problems with CBS or the other standard def digital stations.

Do I send my 165 back?

Kurt
post #279 of 782 Old 11-21-2002, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If your other digital stations are coming in ok, then odds are its not the 165 but your own digital reception. Maybe your local PBS digital station is having some problems??? Post at the HD Local forum asking for other forum members where you live and what they know about the local PBS digital station and are they having similar problems? Find out where the PBS station broadcasts from compared to the other digital stations that you receive fine. You may have to modify your antenna or get a rotor to receive the local digital PBS better. Or, did you previously have a different OTA digital receiver which received PBS fine, which would indicate that
your 165 isn't as good in this regard???? (Questions/Questions/Questions???)

post #280 of 782 Old 11-22-2002, 07:59 AM

My first impressions on the 165:

1.The picture quality is the same as my Mits SR-HD5 receiver.(excellent)
I'm using the Component connections with a high quality HD switcher with remote.

2.The sensitivity on stations is slightly higher.

3.For recording it's connected with the fire-wire to my JVC 30K.
I tried some time recordings and they all went flawless.
No problems with time, all the stations in the Tampa area are running perfect times.

4.The Manual is very easy to follow I wish all of them will be this easy,
then again I'm use to reading allot of them, I own a recording studio with over 80K in recording gear.

I realize from reading the threads there are some issues with the 165
But so far it does what I ask it to do.
I'll give it A- or 9 out of 10.

Tommy
post #281 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone paying attention to the Audio for the 165? I note the following:

On the 165 I only see (and hear) Dolby Pro Logic indication on one of my OTA channels, yet the SONY HD-100 indicates Dolby Pro Logic on all OTA channels.. By indicate, I mean that on my SONY receiver, the Dolby Pro Logic indicator light is lit.

Bill

The World Is Not Flat!
post #282 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 07:16 AM

I just received the Samsung SIR-T165 this week and am testing it with the JVC DH30000 DVHS recorder via the firewire interface. The Samsung is connected to my CRT front projector via RGB.

In general, things seem to be working well. However, I have noticed that the picture is shifted to the right by about 5% relative to my old RCA DTC-100. Does anyone know if the Samsung has the ability to shift the picture horizontally? I scanned the manual but it didn't mention anything about this.

I had a similar problem with the RCA DTC-100 several years ago but was able to resolve it using the horizontal picture shift setting in the special service menu.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Al Schmitt
post #283 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlSchmitt
However, I have noticed that the picture is shifted to the right by about 5% relative to my old RCA DTC-100. Does anyone know if the Samsung has the ability to shift the picture horizontally? I scanned the manual but it didn't mention anything about this. Al Schmitt
Michael Hamilton just re-ISFed my projector the last two weekends. He used the AVIA DVD patterns to ensure I have perfect geometry and centering for my sources, of course based on DVD. I found I had to shift the picture to the right some for my Toshiba DST-3000 HD picture.
And I found that my Samsung SIR-T165 picture, and my Dish 6000 HD pictures, perfectly match that! The 165 doesn't have any picture shift control of which I'm aware.

post #284 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Babula
Is anyone paying attention to the Audio for the 165? I note the following:

On the 165 I only see (and hear) Dolby Pro Logic indication on one of my OTA channels, yet the SONY HD-100 indicates Dolby Pro Logic on all OTA channels.. By indicate, I mean that on my SONY receiver, the Dolby Pro Logic indicator light is lit.

Bill
My Theta Casablanca 2 front display tells me exactly what audio is incoming. And the OTA digital stations per the 165 all have been showing "Dolby Digital +Circle Cinema" (as I have programmed it to take a DD 2.0 signal automatically to expand to Circle in five channels).

What receiver do you have? And in the menu for the HD-100 or 165, do you have it set for default audio at PCM or Dolby Digital? This can make a difference.

post #285 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lmn
I also find dark areas of the picture to lack detail... Overall the picture is on the dark side. I'm connected via DVI to a Samsung 507 DLP. I've tried all the tweaks, but the only way to get detail the blacks is to turn up the brightness and contrast, and even then the black are not as good as they should be...
I had the same problem. I also have a T-165 hooked up via DVI to a 507. For some reason, the DVI makes the pictures dark. I have a good feed from my OTA stations but I ended up routing my cable and DVD directly into the TV because those pictures were too dark. Using the tweaks posted elsewhere on AVS forum, you can adjust the darkness levels for the component and S-video inputs. I don't know if there's a way to do it for the DVI input but I'm sure there is.
post #286 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Steve,
I have the SONY STR-V444ES. I have the HD-100 and 165 set for DD. It is curious that when using the optical output of the 165, I cannot control the various Sound Field options on the SONY. When using the optical output of the HD-100, I can change them. It is almost like the 165 is locking the 444 into the DD sound field mode.

Using the HD-100, all my OTA channels are indicating Pro Logic and when using the 165, only one of the six channels I receive does.

I had a similar situation when I first got the HD-100 and the local PBS station (9-1 and 9-2) indicated Pro Logic and the other did not. I spoke with the Engineer at that time and he did not understand what was happening yet did admit he had a friend who was having the same problem. Eventually both channels started to show Pro Logic.

I am not just speaking of the "indicator" here, but the audio is not proper either. When there is no Pro Logic indication, it does not "sound" as well and nothing comes from my rear speakers.

I suspect that the 165 is less "forgiving" for out of spec broadcasts than the HD-100 based upon the experience with the PBS station. I beleive that most DTV stations are still not "on spec" in many areas such as with the clocks.

Bill

The World Is Not Flat!
post #287 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I have my T165 hooked to a Denon DVD2800. I've played back several DVDs and noted no picture distortion such as described by Mark Fontana. PQ is equal to some of the softer HD movie broadcasts I've seen on ABC & CBS. It is evident the T165's performance (as it pertains to upconversion of 480p sources) might depend on the equipment connected.
post #288 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if my unit is defective. I have it hooked up to a D-ILA and a JVC 30k via firewire running RGBHV to the projector. When watching D-VHS movies, occasionally (sometimes 2 times in a minute, sometimes 1 time every 15 minutes) within a split second there is a "pop" with the picture (black) going all black but it's no more than a millisecond.

Any thoughts

-brian

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
post #289 of 782 Old 11-23-2002, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bruzonsky
If your other digital stations are coming in ok, then odds are its not the 165 but your own digital reception. Maybe your local PBS digital station is having some problems??? Post at the HD Local forum asking for other forum members where you live and what they know about the local PBS digital station and are they having similar problems? Find out where the PBS station broadcasts from compared to the other digital stations that you receive fine. You may have to modify your antenna or get a rotor to receive the local digital PBS better. Or, did you previously have a different OTA digital receiver which received PBS fine, which would indicate that
your 165 isn't as good in this regard???? (Questions/Questions/Questions???)
All the DTV stations are broadcasting from the mountain top which puts them within about 1 degree of each other. I am inclined to beleive that it might be multi-path but moving the antenna really sis nothing for it.

Kurt
post #290 of 782 Old 11-24-2002, 03:03 PM

I just got my 165 and the picture of the HDTV "Tonight Show" through component was amazing as pointed out here many times. However, with the DVI connected to my Hitachi 57SWX20B, the picture was very weird with a serious green color (looked a lot like computer monitor out of syn). As anyone else had problem with DVI connection.

Steve
post #291 of 782 Old 11-24-2002, 08:55 PM

Steve,
I Have a 165 hooked up to a Toshiba 65HDX82 with the DVI input
and it appears to be the same as when I used the component
inputs of the HDX82. Had to change the switch on the back from
component to DVI/RGB
post #292 of 782 Old 11-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

The manual for the T165 is full of interesting info.............................

The World Is Not Flat!
post #293 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The T165 will indeed accept and scale a 480P source. However, it's not perfect, at least not on my equipment. I fed the T165 a clean 480P component source without Macrovision (from Skyworth 1050P DVD player) and found that the bottom 5% of the resulting image chatters back and forth quite noticeably, and the very top and bottom regions of the picture have a brighter black level than the rest of the picture. When I fed the T165 the 480i component signal from the Skyworth instead of 480P, these problems went away. I also tried 480i from laserdisc, and that looked fairly good, except that the picture looked a bit digitally-processed (some slight banding/contouring effects, especially on black and white material). This will bother some people more than others. Certainly the convenience factor of being able to use the T165 as a switcher offsets the picture quality issues somewhat.
I have the same issue using the Pioneer DVD 47a. It's less noticeable when playing a 2:35 DVD vs. a 1:85 aspect ratio. On the 1:85 it interferes with the picture itself. When playing a 2:35, I also notice the "whiteness" mostly from the bottom 5% of the screen. It almost looks like someone is in my set shining a flashlight up from the bottom.

I'll have to disagree with Mark, as the PQ caused by these issues bothers the hell out me. I will be buying a switcher next week!! My DVD setup looked great prior to running through the Samsung.

The overall the picture black level is also set too low, causing dark pictures to wash out in black with no detail both on OTA and DVD pass through. It doesn't effect football games and bright outdoor pictures much, but most TV shows are indoors and dark. I taped Hack on Friday and couldn't believe how dark the picture came out.

My impression of this unit - it is a "hunk of junk" with firewire. If there was another solution to record with the JVC, I would send this back and go there. Samsung has not impressed me one bit. If their intention was to go after SONY, they are losing in the first inning. They got the right box and plugs, they just forgot about picture quality and usability. And don't get me started on the time record issue and menu pass through the firewire! These guys really screwed this box up.

Unless you have the JVC deck...SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! Do Not Buy this as a stand alone decoder, you will be sorry!

And don't anybody flame me with the new technology crapola. The issues that are wrong here have nothing to do with "state of the art" hiccups. These are major oversights that could have been fixed with a focus group of A/V nuts like us. I'm also surprised Gary Reber at WSR didn't pick up on some of this and notify Samsung. He has been touting this box since July and had one in his house. The last time I listen to him....
post #294 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like the DVD pass through is the big issue with some people. All of the shows that I have watched recorded from this tuner look exactly like the live broadcast. The black levels are right on. Hack, Judging Amy, ER, The Tonight Show, and CSI look great. Stations broadcast the digital channels without the 7.5 black level that is on the analog channels. If your set is adjusted to see 7.5 as black, then the digital channels will have what appear to be crushed blacks.
post #295 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 06:19 AM

There's no &%($* way to program a macro to switch inputs on the 165!
Never mind the lack of discrete codes, if at least the unit switched to
OTA when pressing CH up while on a non-OTA input, a macro would be
possible. The only thing one can do is to program point to point macros,
i.e., from AV1 to OTA, OTA to DVD, etc. A whopping combinatorial of
4 by 4. :-)

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #296 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 09:08 AM

fparkerc5r
I have the 165 hooked up to the 50hdx82. With the component input showing digital 4:3 images with black bars on the side, the bars are more or less the same size with the left side bar a little larger. With DVI input, the picture is off to the left with the black bar on the left approx 2 1/2 " and 4 1/2 " on the right. There is a little variation from channel to channel and for different shows, but overall this difference is pretty consistent. Since you did not mention it can I assume you don't have this problem?

I also lose a little bit off the top of the picture in comparison to a direct to the TV analog picture from the same station. Does anyone else have this? Do set top boxes have a service mode for adjusting such things?

Thanks

Al
post #297 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 06:52 PM

Al,
With DVI in, I do have either gray or black bars depending on whether
I am using picture size of HDX2 or aspect of T165 to set and they are a
little uneven side to side, BUT I run very little with bars and do not really
see much if any loss of picture by expanding in a direct comparison.
I do so cause I had a Toshiba factory tech out and he said do not run
much with black edges cause it can cause burn in.
Broadcast material will affect it too since there is not very good standards
that I can tell yet. Boston Public is full size with std 16x9 format on HDX82
but some commericals do show bars.
frank
post #298 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 08:11 PM

Frank,

Thanks for the input. For some reason I can't fathom your black bars from digital 4:3 input using DVI are close to the same size and mine are very different in size. I don't expand any 4:3 pictures using either the TV or the STB very often so I am just hoping there really is a difference with the HD82 CRTs, and that they really are exceptionally resistant to burn in.

Al
post #299 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 PM

Frank

I checked my Hitachi 57SWX20B and Samsung 165 with DVI tonight, and I saw the same difference in black bars as you did. I originally tried DVI-D dual link cable, but that didn't work properly. With DVI-D single link, it appeared as you described. With component cable hookup, everything seemed perfect. The tonight show is fantastic through component cables.

Steve
post #300 of 782 Old 11-25-2002, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

This is a wonderful box. Now able to record OTA HDTV. Finally got a FIrewire cable today and hooked it up and hit the Firewire button. The JVC was there and I just hit the record button during Raymond and am thrilled.
It does what I expected it to do based upon everything I could find out about it before buying! After watching TV since 1948, all I can say is "amazing" !
Bill

The World Is Not Flat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page