I Have My Samsung Sir-t165 As Of Today!!! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 782 Old 12-30-2002, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
quick question that probably has already been covered. Can I get vga 15 pin output to my projector if I hook my dvd player to the component input on the samsung? I think I know the answer but was just hoping maybe someone figured it out.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 782 Old 12-30-2002, 11:16 AM

No. VGA output only works with OTA. According to the manual, it seems to be related to some copy right issue.
post #453 of 782 Old 12-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

The reason why the Samsung 165 seems to be costly is that any STB with firewire has to have an internal MPEG decoder. The 151 does not have this. Until recently, according to Perfect Vision Magazine's latest issue, DirecTV did not allow any of their STBs to have firewire. They have now agreed to this and some next generation units should have it.

ericlhyman
post #454 of 782 Old 12-30-2002, 03:21 PM

An MPEG decoder is required in every HD receiver to decompress the incoming MPEG stream -- in fact, if there were *only* a firewire output, it would not need it.

In addition to the ATSC tuner, MPEG2 decoder, video scaler, some form of Dolby Digital decoder (for analog audio output), and the audio and video digital-to-analog converters of the T151 tuner, it also has an antenna switcher, NTSC tuner, composite/s-video/component 480i/480p analog-to-digital converter, stereo audio analog-to-digital converter, video and audio switching, DVI HDCP output driver, Firewire 5C in and out, a timer and probably more.

The implementations might not be great, but I am hopeful that a firmware upgrade will make better use of all of these functions...
post #455 of 782 Old 12-30-2002, 07:53 PM

Forgive me for not reading back through this lengthy thread, but I'm guessing there's no way of directly inputting HDTV sub-channels with the remote control? It seems you can only manually tune the xx-0 channels, and not the xx-1 or xx-2 channels, and have to rely on the Autoscan feature to find the HDTV sub-channels.
post #456 of 782 Old 12-30-2002, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Unfortunately, that is true and I hate it. I've got the 165 and if you have channels broadcasting ninety degrees apart you've got a real problem. The Toshiba DST3000 allowed you to manually input 7-1 or 18-1, etc. but not the 165.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #457 of 782 Old 12-31-2002, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

This may help someone as I had things hooked up wrong, I did it like you would do a normal VCR.

Credit for this goes to Pete Putman who guided me step by step. First of all the OTA goes to the T165 and then component cables go from the 165 to your TV as well as the audio. The only wire (cable) going to or from the JVC is the firewire, nothing else. For recording and playback only.

This will allow you to view the menu in 1080i, no switching to s-video and 480i.

The key is the component cables going from the T165 to the TV.

All credit to Pete Putman, who btw says he has his T165 and JVC up and working great with no problems, except for the clock.

Hugh Campbell

Hugh Campbell
post #458 of 782 Old 12-31-2002, 05:04 PM

OMG! This non-ability to directly access sub-channel is driving me up the wall because everytime I change the orientation/position of my indoor antenna, I have to re-scan the channels again. This is getting really old, really fast. Ack!
post #459 of 782 Old 12-31-2002, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Patman
OMG! This non-ability to directly access sub-channel is driving me up the wall because everytime I change the orientation/position of my indoor antenna, I have to re-scan the channels again. This is getting really old, really fast. Ack!

Don't scan at all. Just type in the digital channels with the remote, e.g,, channel 39 for WSB-DT (ABC). Get the list of all the digital channels at http://www.atlantadtv.org/stations.htm

If you can pick up the signal, the 165 will add that channel to its memory.

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #460 of 782 Old 12-31-2002, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

But you can't type in the sub-channel number, i.e. 9-1.

Hugh Campbell
post #461 of 782 Old 01-01-2003, 12:32 AM

I am now testing an amplified Radio Shack antenna, and with it in its current position, I can now lock in on:

ABC, FOX, NBC, WB, UPN

If I fiddle with the antenna, I can get TBS, but it's not a big deal for me. But I can't seem to get a lock on CBS yet (I live in Duluth, a suburb northeast of Atlanta, GA).

I actually followed the instructions that came with the antenna and shortened the 2 legs for the VHF portion of the antenna, and played with the circular piece for the UHF portion of the antenna. That helped in locking onto both ABC and NBC for me.

I was also able to get the T165 to lock in on a sub-channel while fooling around with the antenna. I got NBC (10-1) by punching in 1, 0 on the remote and somehow the T165 finally locked in on that sub-channel. If the T165 doesn't see it, then you get the 10-0 channel with a bunch of white video noise on the display. But it's still not possible to tell the T165 to tune only a sub-channel, like 10-1. So it's hit or miss by tuning to the main channel and hope it locks in on the sub-channel. I found UPN again in the same manner after a Scan didn't find it in the first place (after I re-oriented the antenna).
post #462 of 782 Old 01-01-2003, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Grant
Well that blows! I have good old regular NTSC cable for most of my channels, and I've set up the OTA input so that it only remembers the digital HDTV stations. To be able to quickly switch between the two seems like a strange omission to me. Perhaps there is a hidden remote code that will do it? If not, this ought to go to Samsung as a potential bug fix. I would be more than willing to pay for a new remote control if it added a subchannel key and/or a Cable/Antenna select key.

One thing that would be nice, but which I'm sure would never get done, would be to associate digital channels from the antenna with their SD cable channel equivalents. In other words, it would be great if I could go

CATV 7-0 -> TV 7-1 -> CATV 8-0 -> etc.

just by clicking the channel up button. Of course, sometimes cable TV systems move channels around, so if CATV 7 = TV 14, for example, I would want to be able to do

CATV 7-0 -> TV 14-1 -> CATV 8-0 -> etc.
I agree.

My problem is that up to now I've had analog cable going directly to my HDTV and the OTA through the STB (SIR-T165).

Hoping to simplify things, I've now connected the CATV and the OTA both to the STB. However, I don't see how I can channel scan both. It seems to do one source or the other. Am I doing something wrong in trying to scan both?

Has anyone found a substitute "cheap" remote that has a code for the SIR-T165.

Thanks.
ed g
post #463 of 782 Old 01-01-2003, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ed- regarding a cheap alternate remote, you might check out the "jp1" forum at groups.yahoo.com. This is an open source project to hack the various inexpensive One For All and Radio Shack programmable remotes. With some clever Windows software and Excel spreadsheets they provide, coupled with an interface cable you can build for a few dollars, you can make any of those cheap remotes run almost any IR-controlled device and even remap the buttons however you like.

And they already have full support for the SIR-T165 on their site in the files section.
post #464 of 782 Old 01-02-2003, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Fontana
Ed- regarding a cheap alternate remote, . . .
Thanks I'm on my way. It sounds just like what I'm looking for.
ed g
post #465 of 782 Old 01-02-2003, 08:25 AM

I just noticed a possible problem with my 165 -- I'm getting a faint white scan line than passes from right to left. This only appears when I'm watching via the DVI cable direct between the 165 and my Sony KV-34XBR800, but strangely does not appear when viewed from the 165 to JVC via firewire and JVC to XBR via component.

Is this a cable problem (I'm using a DVI cable made by "QVS") or a problem with the 165? And if anyone else is watching the 165 via DVI and does *not* have this problem, please weigh in. Thanks!
post #466 of 782 Old 01-02-2003, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WShackelford
I just noticed a possible problem with my 165 -- I'm getting a faint white scan line than passes from right to left. This only appears when I'm watching via the DVI cable direct between the 165 and my Sony KV-34XBR800, but strangely does not appear when viewed from the 165 to JVC via firewire and JVC to XBR via component.

Is this a cable problem (I'm using a DVI cable made by "QVS") or a problem with the 165? And if anyone else is watching the 165 via DVI and does *not* have this problem, please weigh in. Thanks!

It's a problem with the XBR. Check this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=190083

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #467 of 782 Old 01-03-2003, 12:28 PM

Many thanks, Luis!

I guess I need to start spending time in threads other than this one...
post #468 of 782 Old 01-07-2003, 12:11 PM

This is beginning to give me a terminal headache. Okay, I just finished reading the posts to this thread beginning with Page 18 forward, and somewhere along the way it was mentioned that the SIR-T165 would turn the JVC HM-DH30000U both on and off when time shifting. Well, mine won't ... at least, it won't turn the JVC on. I called tech support and they said that no, it would not. So I've been using my universal remote control with timer to turn on the JVC five minutes before the 165 is set to tape something, it establishes a firewire connection and the program records. Someone tell me; should be 165 be able to turn on the JVC, and if so, what should I do since according to another post here, Samsung cannot yet replace nor repair. Help!!!!

D. Powell Britt
post #469 of 782 Old 01-07-2003, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It'll Only turn it on if the JVC's 'power save' mode is set to off. basically, if you can see the clock on the JVC when it is OFF then it'll work.
post #470 of 782 Old 01-07-2003, 12:47 PM

Thanks. I wish that were the case. I have the Power Save Mode set to off. It still will only turn the STB off. I wonder if this has something to do with the internal clock setting. I'll try some experimenting. CBS has come on line in HD locally, and their PSIP time datastream is right on the money. NBC's is always wrong even after about ten calls to the station engineer to have it reset. UPN and WB are close. The others are yet to begin broadcasting in HD. Again, thanks.

D. Powell Britt
post #471 of 782 Old 01-07-2003, 12:49 PM

Forgive the typo. I meant it will only turn the JVC off, NOT STB.

D. Powell Britt
post #472 of 782 Old 01-08-2003, 10:56 AM

One other DVD passthrough problem I've noted (I think I also noticed someone else with this problem, but way up in the thread. The output coming through is greener than when the DVD is hooked directly to the TV, or when I use my receiver for switching. The DVD passthrough is a nice feature, but the this problem, plus the bottom 5% problem, make the passthrough unusable.
post #473 of 782 Old 01-08-2003, 11:33 AM

I've had the same problem, and it makes the pass thru unusable.
Evidently this has been reported to Samsung via Jon. Now we can just hope!
post #474 of 782 Old 01-08-2003, 12:47 PM

FYI: On page 56 in the JVC HM-DH30000U Instructions Manual, it states, "Power Save Mode, On, Off: When this function is set to "ON", you can reduce the power consumption. While the VCR is turned off, the front display panel does not show the clock. When this function is set to "OFF", an i.LINK device cannot be recognized. As a result, it is not possible to record a program using the digital tuner's* timer function. In addition the device does not pass along data if it is in a branched connection. *A digital tuner will be released in the future." This may be true with JVC's digital tuner to be released in the future, but the absolute reverse is true with Samsung's SIR-T165; which is to say, for time shifting using the 165's firewire to the JVC, the Power Save Mode MUST BE SET TO OFF!!!! Maybe this post will save some folks the heartburn I've been through with this dynamic duo. I hope so.

D. Powell Britt
post #475 of 782 Old 01-09-2003, 07:18 AM

I think my 165 is going back, although I haven't decided if I'm going to try another or just give up on it for now (and wait for another receiver generation or HDTV cable). In addition to the DVD passthrough problems already mentioned, I've had the following issues:
1) Cannot pickup the local ABC DT station. Can pickup every other local station, and doesn't seem to be any reason for this one to be that much harder. This is a big issue for me since the super bowl is on ABC, and also ABC has the second most HDTV content.
2) Extensive flicker when zooming 4x3 content on the DT channels when set to 1080i (I have a 4x3 HDTV). Flicker pretty much goes away when I switch to 480p, but I don't want to be switching all the time, particularly with the switch on the back.
3) Frequent audio dropouts and frequent lip-sync problems
4) No easy way to switch between OTA and cable and no way to input the minor channel

I don't think items 1 - 3 are related to my antenna or location. I'm located about 25 miles from downtown Chicago where all the transmitters are, and in a condo building with a central antenna that brings in everything else just fine. On a thread I have in the HDTV reception area, one person located 75 miles from the antenna was bringing in the ABC station that I'm not getting. If anyone thinks any of these items are fixable, let me know. I love the picture, but not at this price.
post #476 of 782 Old 01-09-2003, 12:25 PM

I live northeast of Atlanta, and the Fox affiliate is normally channel 5 on NTSC, and its ATSC channels are 27-1 and 27-2. Well, yesterday something obviously channels as channels 27-1 and 27-2 now "map" to 5-1 and 5-2. But on my T165, if I channel up to get to channel 5-1, that channel sort of bombs the T-165 in that the video goes away, and the T165's display shows "HELLO". I can get the T165 to act normally again if I channel up a few channels, and then channel back down until I get to 5-2, and if I channel back once more to get to 5-1, it behaves okay.

Anyone else see this "HELLO" error message while changing ATSC channels on the T165?
post #477 of 782 Old 01-09-2003, 01:00 PM

WAGA is working on their encoder. Check out the atlanta hdtv
yahoo group for details at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv

Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #478 of 782 Old 01-09-2003, 01:03 PM

Patman,

I have the exact same problem in Dallas when I attempt to tune in the local ABC affiliate (WFAA) on channel 8-1. The common thread I found is that I only have this problem during the hours in which the station is broadcasting PSIP program data, which is usually just prime time. I do not have this problem with any of the other local stations, but none of them ever transmit PSIP data either. So, the bottom line appears to be that this rebooting is somehow caused by an incompatibility with the station's PSIP encoder. I have contacted the enginner at the station, but he does not know what might specifically be causing it or how to fix it.

Brian
post #479 of 782 Old 01-09-2003, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info! It appears to be a lot better today (channel 5-1 - Fox), so I guess that broadcast of the PSIP data to sync up the channels to their NTSC counterpart was mucking up my T165 yesterday.
post #480 of 782 Old 01-11-2003, 11:49 AM

I am probably wasting my time trying to get the JVC cable mouse to control the channels on the 165, like I do with my on VCR and cable box. Anyone wish to confirm? Took me hours to get this far in the thread.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page