post #631 of 782 Old 03-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by hjw
I've got no picture shift problems with the 165 connected DVI to a 507. Works fine.
It is interesting to note that none of the Samsung owners seem to have experienced the problem with DVI shift. It's all owners of other manufacturers sets that have an issue with the DVI shift.

Can you say interoperability testing? Nah why would we need to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 782 Old 03-05-2003, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I figure I'll just post here instead of creating a new post since it's a pretty busy thread.

I'm having serious problems with digital audio via the coax output. This is the second unit I've had (there were other problems ... although not this bad!). Neither ReplayTV/Dish via AV1 nor HD channels seem to be sending a quality digital signal that my receiver can reliably lock onto. I'm using the optical now and it seems to work fine ... but that's not helpful since it's using my last optical input. When I can use coax, it's the preference.

This problem reared its ugly head last Tuesday (first day in operation). I had no audio and couldn't get the digital to lock no matter what I tried. When I turned the system on later that night, it was working. The audio cut in and out a few times (even on ReplayTV ... signal strength has nothing to do with the problem). After working fine for a week, it died for good last night.

It seems that there's nothing I can do as Samsung isn't supporting us during this beta test. More than anything, I'm wondering if anyone else has problems getting coaxial digital to work reliably.
post #633 of 782 Old 03-05-2003, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My coax digital works fine for many months now.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 782 Old 03-07-2003, 10:52 AM

I had a problem when I used my Pre/Pro for component video switching along with Coax digital. It seemed as if a static charge was slowly building up; I could see the colors shift on the display, and audio would get unreliable. When I touched the rack, I would get a big static shock and audio would drop out, but then colors looked fine and audio would return.

Don't know if the problem was bum cables or the Samsung's Coax output, but I purchased new 'real' component video cables and an optical cable, and now the problem is gone.
post #635 of 782 Old 03-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Bri

I've got no picture shift problems with the 165 connected DVI to a 507.

-Bri
post #636 of 782 Old 03-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have not experienced any picture shift problems with my 165 connecting to my 507 by DVI neither
post #637 of 782 Old 03-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Everyone

I got a T-165 about 4 months ago from Sound City. I had a problem with the sound laging the video on most channels in stereo or in a surround mode. I called them Friday and they are sending me a new one even when I was out of their 90 day return policy. Will keep you updated. A big thanks to Shawn from Sound City for helping me out.
post #638 of 782 Old 03-10-2003, 02:51 PM

I haven't been in this thread since mid-February and was surprised to find out that folks are having trouble with DVI - it's possibly the best of my inputs. I've got the T165/JVC 30k combo running into a Sony 34XBR800, with the T165 going in directly via DVI and the 30K connected to a separate input by firewire and going in via component.

I'm not having any problems with the horizontal shift in DVI and I can also cycle through the inputs without any problems in the disruption of the DVI picture.

I think the DVI has the better picture quality, although my girlfriend favors firewire/component.

Is it possible that you've got a bad cable? I initially used a $32 computer store cable until I could find the $99 Monster 400 DVI - not much of a difference between them other than build quality, but maybe one of those gazillion pins is missing/improperly lined up, or perhaps this single/dual issue (which I don't understand) is to blame.

I'm also leaving my switch on the back at 1080. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference - Alias on 720 and 24 on 480 come in beautifully.
post #639 of 782 Old 03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I have also noticed out of sync sound on my SIRT-165 connected to my Pioneer VSX-45X audio receiver via digital coaxial cable and to my Sony KV-40XBR800 via DVI. Is this a design defect or manufacturing problem in the early production units on the Samsung that has been resolved in the latest units? Or, is this a problem due to different data transfer rates of the video through DVI cable and the audio through the digital coaxial cable?

ericlhyman
post #640 of 782 Old 03-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

I will let you know in a couple days. I have component, DVI, D-coax and Toslink to make the comparison.
post #641 of 782 Old 03-10-2003, 06:23 PM

Location: Atlanta, GA & Delray Beach, FL - Moving to Celebration FL
Hi, Folks -

I just hooked up my 165 for the first time, and I don't seem to be able to program the remote to my Sony TV. I have tried both codes listed in the manual, and neither work. I seem to recall way back in the posts that someone knew a website offering additional possible codes. Anyone remember that so I can save myself some time?

Thanks in advance!

--- David Brown
post #642 of 782 Old 03-11-2003, 03:59 AM

The 165's remote is far from universal! It just doesn't work on MANY sets. I still have not heard one word on any updates, upgrades or anything positive from Samsung on ANY issue in this forum.

Thunderthud
Reston & Ashburn, VA
post #643 of 782 Old 03-11-2003, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody heard about any firmware updates for 165?. There is one for 160.
post #644 of 782 Old 03-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

The 165's remote doesn't operate my Phillips DVD player either. None of the Phillips codes in the manual work.

:(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien, Book I, Chapter 3
post #645 of 782 Old 03-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wdb44
Hi, Folks -

I just hooked up my 165 for the first time, and I don't seem to be able to program the remote to my Sony TV. I have tried both codes listed in the manual, and neither work. I seem to recall way back in the posts that someone knew a website offering additional possible codes. Anyone remember that so I can save myself some time?

Thanks in advance!
Best bet is to go with a true universal remote, I recently got a One for All urc-8811 with jp1 cable and I was able to upgrade it via serial connection to support the samsung sir-t165, which isnt normally supported by any universal remotes natively as it is so new.
post #646 of 782 Old 03-12-2003, 12:15 PM

Ed and Eric - the problem with audio lag that you're having may be with your local station and not your STB. I participate in the local reception forum for my area and some of the local station engineers participate as well. I have complained about an audio lag issue with JAG on Tues nights. The local CBS engineer admitted the problem is on his end and he is working to correct the problem.

Mark

OTA with a Samsung T165
post #647 of 782 Old 03-25-2003, 02:00 PM

Well, this thread is pretty dead. I sure am disappointed that Samsung seems to be doing nothing to address the problems with the T-165. In my case, an upgrade that would let me adjust the DVI image position would help a lot. It is my understanding that Samsung already release new firmware for the T-160 that added this functionality.

It would be nice if the clock problems and the black level issue were addressed as well. In any case, I have some more fuel to throw on the fire.

Because I can't use the DVI connection with my Hitachi 57TWX20b (see posts above), I use the component connection out of the T-165. And the image does look really good to me. Because of the black level issue with the component input on the T-165 (to be honest, I haven't seen it for myself), I hook my DVD player (an old Sony S7000 circa 1998) to the other component connection on the Hitachi.

All this babbling has a point. I recently purchased the hi definition connection for my xbox and decided to try the component input on the T-165 as I have no component switching available. As I don't have any games that support 720p or 1080i, I set up the xbox to send a 480p signal to the T-165 (also, don't think the T-165 will handle 720p or 1080i on the component input).

I don't know the technical names for the problems in the image output by the T-165, but the result was very disappointing. It seemed that the graphic aliasing became much worse. Also, there was kind of a shimmering effect in the image. I would say it looked as if the sharpness was turned up to like 1000 on a scale of 1-100.

At this point I went back to connecting the xbox to the Hitachi via svideo. Tonight I may try connecting to the T-165 via svideo and see what that conversion looks like.

So, I don't have any answers and this is just a bitching session. I'm stuck with svideo or must look into a component switching solution. But if Samsung would just fix the darn DVI issue, I could hook the xbox directly to the TV via component and enjoy hi-def gaming. (If I actually had any hi-def games.)

Drew
post #648 of 782 Old 03-25-2003, 05:57 PM

I agree - I am using the T165 STB via DVI-D connection (Bettercable Dual Link cable) to a Fujitsu P50XHA10US plasma. There is a marked right shift to the picture with this connection. I have adjusted the Horizontal control on the plasma to its maximum but still the picture is not centered.

I called Samsung and they told me this was a known problem with the DVI connection, and that there was no fix available. :mad:

Peter DiCorleto
post #649 of 782 Old 03-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gentle
I sure am disappointed that Samsung seems to be doing nothing to address the problems with the T-165.
Too bad you didn't join AVS when the box came out, you would have seen this box is only for the brave and only for those with the JVC 30K. Otherwise, it's garbage.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gentle
All this babbling has a point. I recently purchased the hi definition connection for my xbox and decided to try the component input on the T-165 as I have no component switching available. As I don't have any games that support 720p or 1080i, I set up the xbox to send a 480p signal to the T-165 (also, don't think the T-165 will handle 720p or 1080i on the component input).
Your right, it only passes 480/ip. If you get to the point you need a component switcher, I bought the Inday for $189 with 4 inputs. No degradation at all.
post #650 of 782 Old 03-28-2003, 12:01 PM

Hi there:

Can anyone comment about this feature: upscale video from 480i to 720p/1080i for DVD sources, does it really work? I'm just an interested possible buyer, thank you:)
post #651 of 782 Old 03-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

isalvarado,

No reason to think it doesn't, since it has the same deinterlacer/scaler as the Samsung DLP TV's. That chip is so much better than the one in my DVD player that I've been sending DVD's @ 480i directly into the Component 1 input on my HLM437W and letting the TV do the work.

Some have suggested playing DVD's via the SIR-T165 in order to use its DVI connection. I'll try it tonight and post the results.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien, Book I, Chapter 3
post #652 of 782 Old 03-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by isalvarado
Hi there:

Can anyone comment about this feature: upscale video from 480i to 720p/1080i for DVD sources, does it really work? I'm just an interested possible buyer, thank you:)
It does work. I have one and I am currently using it to upconvert 480i and 480p sources to 1080i. It seems to work quite well, although many people have reported that their blacks look washed out when using it in this fashion. This can be compensated for by using the black level control on your tv.
post #653 of 782 Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 AM

My firewire connection to the 30K went out during Alias on Sunday night. The cables seem to be hooked up just fine, and the HD signal is coming through DVI.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is the fault on the 165 or the 30K? Is there a way to reset the units?
post #654 of 782 Old 04-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jim.bennett
It does work. I have one and I am currently using it to upconvert 480i and 480p sources to 1080i. It seems to work quite well, although many people have reported that their blacks look washed out when using it in this fashion. This can be compensated for by using the black level control on your tv.
I have a Pioneer Elite 610HD and it still can't compensate enough to overcome this problem. Furthermore, there are other problems with jitter on the screen using this method. Samsung has not made any attempt to fix these problems.

Unless you have a DVHS stay away from this box!!!
post #655 of 782 Old 04-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

I feed 480i component output from my DVD player to my SIR-T165, which then goes to my Sammy HLM437W via the DVI connection. No problems and better PQ. Go figure.

Black and white levels did not change. The T165 did increase the color level, I had to drop the TV's color setting from 48 to 29, but post-Avia PQ is definitely better running through the SIR-T165.

Seems like it might depend on whether your display and the T165 like each other. As always, YMMV.

post #656 of 782 Old 04-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Deacon
I feed 480i component output from my DVD player to my SIR-T165, which then goes to my Sammy HLM437W via the DVI connection. No problems and better PQ. Go figure
I don't have DVI so maybe it has something to do with the component analog run.....
post #657 of 782 Old 04-11-2003, 11:57 AM

I do not know if this has been posted or not, but there is a samsung service bulletin on the 165 receiver to reduce the componenet output of the receiver. You are going to have to take it to a samsung asc though.
David
post #658 of 782 Old 04-14-2003, 02:56 PM

DJWilliams, can you please post a link to the Samsung service bulletins?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark

OTA with a Samsung T165
post #659 of 782 Old 04-14-2003, 04:40 PM

I cannot post the link to the site, because you have to have a user/pass to access the authorized service center site. Here is a explanation of what it is for:

SIR-T165’s Component out level is normally 1.1Vp-p.
When DVD is hooked up with component (1080i), this causes flickering on white scenes.

There are three surface mounted resistors that have to be changed.

David
post #660 of 782 Old 04-19-2003, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know what the answer is to resolving the green push I see when hooking up my samsung progressive scan dvd through the samsung 165's component input? It's supposed to output in converted 1080i or 720p. It does so but with an awful over-riding green push on screen.

Is there a fix for this???
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page