Closed Thread

post #721 of 782 Old 05-13-2003, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
In tracking this problem more closely, I found it only happens when watching OTA HD broadcast by the Minneapolis/St. Paul CBS affiliate (WCCO-DT). Maybe it's a slight incompatibility with their equipment. I don't know that their broadcast is problem-free either.
Mark,

If you just get it with one HD channel and not any of the other OTA HD channels the it does sound like it could be something not compatible with the stations signal.

My pixellations I had seem to be from a few fuji tapes I use. Lately I have just used JVC 300 D-VHS tapes and havent had any pixellations.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 782 Old 07-06-2003, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did Samsung ever release a firmware upgrade to fix the lack of integration between OTA digital and the cable input? It's not very user friendly to be unable to access OTA digital and analog cable directly.

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #723 of 782 Old 07-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin
Did Samsung ever release a firmware upgrade to fix the lack of integration between OTA digital and the cable input? It's not very user friendly to be unable to access OTA digital and analog cable directly.

Thanks
I emailed the guy who issued the firmware update for the DVI shift a while back about the problem you describe above and he said it was a design flaw. I was wondering the same thing as you were, but it doesn't appear that they are going to issue an update for this problem.
post #724 of 782 Old 07-07-2003, 05:06 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked but I can't find any answer. I have a pioneer DV444 DVD connected to my T165 via the component input. I set my DVD to output at 16:9 but my T165 displays it in 4:3 with gray bars on both side. I have to switch to Full mode in order to display in 16:9. Is this normal? I was expecting the T165 to switch automatically to full mode. I guess the question is does the DVD player send out a "mode" signal to any output device or setting the DVD to 16:9 or 4:3 doesn't effect how the output device display? BTW I have the X1 projector as my display device.
post #725 of 782 Old 07-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kin_ng5
Sorry if this question has been asked but I can't find any answer. I have a pioneer DV444 DVD connected to my T165 via the component input. I set my DVD to output at 16:9 but my T165 displays it in 4:3 with gray bars on both side. I have to switch to Full mode in order to display in 16:9. Is this normal? I was expecting the T165 to switch automatically to full mode. I guess the question is does the DVD player send out a "mode" signal to any output device or setting the DVD to 16:9 or 4:3 doesn't effect how the output device display? BTW I have the X1 projector as my display device.
I think this is normal. I have to do the same with my dvd player and 165...
post #726 of 782 Old 07-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

kin_ng5,

My setup works exactly the same way.

SURGE PROTECTION BASICS

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien, Book I, Chapter 3
post #727 of 782 Old 07-16-2003, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin
Could someone refresh me on the OTA digital and analog cable input problem? Is it a lack of inputs? Do you have to physically connect/disconnect cables to share one coax jack?

My setup would be OTA digital and analog cable, should I buy the SIRT165.

Sorry if this has been covered, but only now have I been able to read through this entire thread since discovering AVS forum in April.

As for the clock issue, has anyone heard anything about Samsung providing a clock in a successor model to the 165? The clock problem is the main reason I won't buy it. I fail to see why they rely on stations providing accurate clock time when here in Denver, where we have the national atomic clock in nearby Boulder at NIST, the local PBS stations do not even provide NTSC clock info for my VCR, and NBC used to start their Thursday evening programming early as well as fiddle with the 1/2 hour time slot by making them extra long, and CBS now seems to start all their shows 1-2 minutes early.
post #728 of 782 Old 07-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTimeShifter
Could someone refresh me on the OTA digital and analog cable input problem? Is it a lack of inputs? Do you have to physically connect/disconnect cables to share one coax jack?

My setup would be OTA digital and analog cable, should I buy the SIRT165.

Sorry if this has been covered, but only now have I been able to read through this entire thread since discovering AVS forum in April.

As for the clock issue, has anyone heard anything about Samsung providing a clock in a successor model to the 165? The clock problem is the main reason I won't buy it. I fail to see why they rely on stations providing accurate clock time when here in Denver, where we have the national atomic clock in nearby Boulder at NIST, the local PBS stations do not even provide NTSC clock info for my VCR, and NBC used to start their Thursday evening programming early as well as fiddle with the 1/2 hour time slot by making them extra long, and CBS now seems to start all their shows 1-2 minutes early.
No need to switch cables, as it has a OTA and a cable coax input. The problem is you cant add all of the channels into one common group and to switch between them you have to go several steps into the menu interface and choose between the inputs basically. Once you have selected one you cant see the channels on the other and vice versa. Poor design definitely.
post #729 of 782 Old 07-16-2003, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be better if they would even add a simple discrete code to do the switch without having to go into the menu...

Hmmm....
post #730 of 782 Old 08-25-2003, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Apologies in advance for any of the following that has been previoulsy addressed.

I have an Infocus ScreenPlay7200 DLP with the latest Dcci Faroudja chip and DVI-HDCP input and was considering replacing my Panasonic DST50 (connected to an HD1000) and running my Composite & S-Video sources and possibly my component video switchers output into the Samsung SIR-T165 so that the 7200 PJ would stay in sync when connected through DVI input only as I switch 480i-480P-720P-1080i sources.

I would like to know the following:

What kind of results can I expect from the built-in scaler (as opposed to the 7200’sbuilt-in Faroudja FLI2300DcDI) if I -

(1) Connect the SIR-T165 to the 7200 by DVI-HDCP;
When using the DVI-HDCP outputs, is the OTA HD better over DVI than Y,Pb,Pr on other STB’s?

(2) set the T165 to 720P output;

(3) connect my Toshiba SD-9200 480P DVD Player to the T165 component video inputs; When using the DVI-HDCP outputs, are the component video inputs to the T165 upconverted to 720P or passed through as 480P?

(4) my Dish Network SD 480i satellite receiver to the T165 S-Video inputs.
When using the DVI-HDCP outputs, are the S-Video inputs to the T165 upconverted to 720P or passed through as 480P or 480i?

Have you found the Samsung SIR-T165 does a good - or nearly as good a -job of upconverting 480i sources as a built-in PJ Faroudja scaler (i.e. SP 7200)?

Have you run component video through the Samsung SIR-T165 to your 1280X720P display with "lossless" results?

Also, does the T165 have only grey or does it also have black bars on 4:3 material?

Lastly, does the PSIP EPG present an operational problem for this unit?

Thanks in advance.

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #731 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Murray,

I have an SIR-T165 feeding a Samsung HLM437W via DVI. My DVD player and VCR are both fed into the 165 via component/video respectively.

1) OTA HD is better via DVI from the 165 than via component from the 165. I've never tried a different STB.

2) Is this a question? :)

3) Yes

4) Yes

My 165 deinterlaces/scales about equally to the Faroudja FL2200 in the TV. Running DVD through the 165 and then via DVI produces a slightly more stable, less pixelated or shimmery image. The downside is that the 165 reduces black level lumens and increases color levels vs. feeding the DVD player directly into the TV via component. This means I have to increase Brightness and reduce Color to watch a DVD vs. watching TV. If the DVD player were feeding the TV directly I could calibrate the TV's component input to suit and not have to make those two adjustments. This is not a big deal if we're sitting down to a 2+ hour movie, so we prefer it for the, admittedly slight, PQ improvement.

The 165 has only gray bars on 4:3 material. Dammit!

Hope this helped,
Doug

SURGE PROTECTION BASICS

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien, Book I, Chapter 3
post #732 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 06:30 AM

I tried feeding my VHS into the video input of the 165 with the 165 outputting via DVI to my TV. I got "no signal" on the TV, but with the audio present. I [then] read that you couldn't up convert to DVI [Widescreen Review].

You, Doug, seem to be saying this should work. Maybe I had the cables screwed up. I'll have to try it again.

By the way, I also read that the 165 won't up convert 480p but works with 480i on the component input.

Member of AVS FORUM folding@home team, (team #55280)
post #733 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 06:53 AM

Quote:
By the way, I also read that the 165 won't up convert 480p but works with 480i on the component input
That's how mine works. I had to turn off my DVDs progressive output to get the t165 to upconvert DVD playback to 1080i.
post #734 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 07:08 AM
dwk

Does anyone get signal strength readings higher than 50-60% on the T165?

I was getting 50% readings on WTTW and 10-20% on all others. I installed a CM7777 amp on my antenna and they all jumped to 50% consistently, but WTTW did not increase ss at all.

Someone in another thread indicated he thought he read that the T150 only goes to 50%, so maybe the T165 does the same.
post #735 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Deacon
Murray,

My 165 deinterlaces/scales about equally to the Faroudja FL2200 in the TV. Running DVD through the 165 and then via DVI produces a slightly more stable, less pixelated or shimmery image. The downside is that the 165 reduces black level lumens and increases color levels vs. feeding the DVD player directly into the TV via component. This means I have to increase Brightness and reduce Color to watch a DVD vs. watching TV. If the DVD player were feeding the TV directly I could calibrate the TV's component input to suit and not have to make those two adjustments. This is not a big deal if we're sitting down to a 2+ hour movie, so we prefer it for the, admittedly slight, PQ improvement.

Hope this helped,
Doug
Doug,

Are the DVD/component video inputs to the T165 upconverted to 720P/1080i only when interlaced and not progressive signals are fed in?

Have you tried the Samsung HD931 DVI DVD player to compare PQ?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #736 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Have you tried the Samsung HD931 DVI DVD player to compare PQ?
Does the Samsung have a DVI input which is HDCP compatable? If not, the Samsung HD931 will not work using the DVI connection, since it REQUIRES a DVI/HDCP input.
post #737 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
The 480p signal from my RP62 is handled perfectly by my Samsung. I have not tried my RP91 or Malata with it yet.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #738 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

All,

Long before I had the T165, I chose to use my DVD player in 480i mode. The Faroudja deinterlacer in the Samsung DLP TV is far superior. When I moved the component cables to the T165, I left the DVD player in 480i and have never tried switching it back to 480p. Sorry, but I don't know whether that works or not.

If your DVD player has better deinterlacing than the T165's Faroudja (doubtful?) then leaving it at 480p would make more sense. If that means you can't go through the T165 to DVI, all you can do is try both paths and choose the one that looks best to you in your setup.

I thought I'd sent my VCR output via the T165, but it's been so long since I've watched a tape that I may be mis-remembering. Shame on me if I told you I did something that can't be done. Guess I'll have to go home and dust off the VCR, if I can find it!

I've never tried the Samsung HD931, nor the Bravo D1. Both players have too many problems/bugs for me. I'm waiting for a "real" DVI DVD player. ;)

---
merc, the DVI input on a Samsung DLP TV is HDCP compatible. Samsung's STB's do not have DVI inputs, just a DVI output. I'm not aware of any device that can function as an all-DVI pass-through. To maintain HDCP compliance it would have to have only DVI outputs, or at least no other output capable of higher than 480p resolution.

---
dwk, my signal strength meter never goes above 8 or 9 bars either, which looks about 50-60% to me. There's no numerical gauge on the meter, which is a pain in the . . . neck.

SURGE PROTECTION BASICS

post #739 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 09:19 AM

Quote:
The 480p signal from my RP62 is handled perfectly by my Samsung. I have not tried my RP91 or Malata with it yet.
Hmmm, I just went and checked my system out as well, and, my RP91 works well in progressive as well??? I switched back and forth between the progressive and non-progressive output into the T165 and could not easily tell the difference between the two? In both cases, the T165 does feed the HDTV a 1080i signal.

I don't know why I thought any differently? Sorry.
post #740 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 09:23 AM

As for the T150 and the T165 signal strength meters, I get 14-15 bars on the T-165 for CBS HD OTA here in Houston on the T165. I think that is around 58%? That is my strongest station so that's all I can report on how high the meter goes. I am 50 miles away from the towers and am using a huge Winegard antenna and antenna amp.
post #741 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 10:07 AM
dwk

Quote:
Originally posted by merc
As for the T150 and the T165 signal strength meters, I get 14-15 bars on the T-165 for CBS HD OTA here in Houston on the T165. I think that is around 58%? That is my strongest station so that's all I can report on how high the meter goes. I am 50 miles away from the towers and am using a huge Winegard antenna and antenna amp.

Quote:
dwk, my signal strength meter never goes above 8 or 9 bars either, which looks about 50-60% to me. There's no numerical gauge on the meter, which is a pain in the . . . neck.

Thanks

I never counted the bars, but the strength is about halfway up the meter. I agree its a pain with no numbers. Sounds like the glass is full if it's half full

:D
post #742 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All,

If your DVD player has better deinterlacing than the T165's Faroudja (doubtful?) then leaving it at 480p would make more sense.
I looked through the T165 manual and I could not find any reference to Faroudja deinterlacing.

Is the deinterlacing done by a Samsung designed circuit or a licensed Faroudja DcDi?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #743 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
The RP62 deinterlaces better than the Samsung T165, at least based on what I have seen on my setup.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #744 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
It might be my system or the inputs I was testing with but the SIR-T165's image didn't really hold up to the Sony HD200. Last night I compared MNF (720p) on both along with some 1080i shows. I used RGB and component on the T165 and RGB with the Sony. With each resolution the HD200 displayed a noticeably clearer image.

I ordered the T165 to use with my JVC 40K but since I don't record much (outside of TiVo) and I couldn't see any difference running the 40K through the T165 I sent it back today.
post #745 of 782 Old 08-26-2003, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It might be my system or the inputs I was testing with but the SIR-T165's image didn't really hold up to the Sony HD200.
Hmmm, that's certainly not what I found? I compared the Sony to the Samsung for only OTA HD, and found the Sony to be softer(as though looking through a nylon stocking) than the Samsung. My testing was done using 1080i RGB output and CBS's CSI programming, through the same attic Winegard antenna and antenna amp using the same RF lead, which I switched for testing.

Are you sure you compared apples to apples and not DirectTV to OTA? Even then, I'd bet the added compression/transmission/re-transmission of DTV vs OTA would be noticable? YMMV.

If course, other differences would include the fact that the Sony is a DirectTV receiver and usually can't be bought from an authorized dealer without activating DTV, and it costs from $200 to 400 more than the Samsung, and, it doesn't even have firewire for archiving anything...?
post #746 of 782 Old 08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

merc,

I was only comparing OTA HD and I split my antenna between the two. Now I did leave one stone unturned as I never actually swapped inputs. On my projector I was using RGBHV for the Sony and RGB along with component with the T165. The best I can describe the difference is the T165 looked like film and the HD200 looked like video (if that makes sense to you).

I should have swapped inputs but since I decided I wasn't going to use it for recording it became a mute issue. I do know my JVC 40K looks close to perfect using component so I don't think that input is too weak. And you are right they are totally different beasts.
post #747 of 782 Old 08-27-2003, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles R
merc,

The best I can describe the difference is the T165 looked like film and the HD200 looked like video (if that makes sense to you).
Charles,

The Samsung looked more film-like than the Sony, which itself looked more video-like-is that correct?

Was this on MNF or on the various 108i shows shot on film?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #748 of 782 Old 08-27-2003, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

How distracting are the SIR-T165 grey bars (as opposed to black) on 4:3 material when viewed on a large front projection screen system?

murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #749 of 782 Old 08-27-2003, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

murray,

I thought/think there was an option to turn off the Gray bars which I did (if I remember right). But to answer your question it was very distracting at first though I'm sure at some point you would get used to it.

In the end it wouldn't have made any difference to me since I don't do 4:3 on the projector (talk about distracting!)... it's high-def or nothing (with a rare DVD).

Sorry, I didn't see your first question earlier. The difference was on every source I viewed. MNF (720p), along with a couple of sitcoms and PBS (1080i) - my projector scales both resolutions versus converting one to another. At first I didn't notice it all that much until I had both working at once and I could bounce back and forth by changing the input. At that point it was very obvious. Another way to describe the difference is the T165 looked like the projector was slightly out of focus (compared to the HD200).
post #750 of 782 Old 08-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

There is no way to change the bars to black on the 165. I usually watch in the pillarbox (4:3) mode. I find the slight stretch in the pillarbox mode more annoying than the grey bars. Guess I have been watching 4:3 1080 signals to long!
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page