Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well - other than folks who obtained a unit for review direct from Samsung, like Widescreen Review, or Peter Putnam, am I the first in the continental U.S. to have a 165??? Just got it today, as a custom installer friend had preordered it from his local supplier and it just got in!!!

Hooked up. Firewire to JVC D-VHS works GREAT!!!!!!!!!

As for more info, only as I use it and have a chance.

Note: Don't modify your Samsung like I did the 160 model, with a three prong IEC male. Now Samsung refuses to repair or replace due to the chroma noise/red push problem. And I was the first on the web to note that problem, others noted it thereafter. I would think I did them a favor so they could correct it early on. The unit is hooked up in my family room 30" 16:9 where the bit of red shift at times is nowhere near as bad as it was in my ISFed Dwin CRT projector in my home theater room, where I continue to use my Toshiba DST-3000, and now the Samsung 165 as an OTA digital receiver. Please folks, lets not discuss this particular situation, just don't get in the hassle that I did. I thought about not bothering to say anything about Samsung stuff anymore, but the 165 is of great interest and allows digital and HD OTA recording, so how can I pass up talking about it!!

I will be back later with more info. Suffice to say that the 1394 picture through the JVC is very, very nice.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Steve,

Are you saying that the 165 has the same red push/chroma problem you observed on the 160? If so, it's a bummer waiting for a possible fix? How is the upconversion of cable and DVD through component and/or S-video? Is the comb filtering decent on analog cable?

Andrew Sabin
post #3 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Note: Don't modify your Samsung like I did the 160 model, with a three prong IEC male. Now Samsung refuses to repair or replace due to the chroma noise/red push problem.
Steve:

Be fair!
========================================
Here is Steve Bruzonsky's quote from the TS-160 thread:

Quote:
Steve (at Samsung) said that if I put back the original power cord (would have to resolder it - a real pain in the butt) they would honor the warranty, but otherwise they won't.
Just because you don't want to resolder it back please don't share untruths. I believe Samsung was unbelieveably gracious in their offer.

Here is the post Steve wrote just in case you think I am taking anything out of context:

Original post

Regards,

Rees

Rees
post #4 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin
Steve,

Are you saying that the 165 has the same red push/chroma problem you observed on the 160? If so, it's a bummer waiting for a possible fix? How is the upconversion of cable and DVD through component and/or S-video? Is the comb filtering decent on analog cable?
No, I'm not saying that at all. I've only watched a bit so far with the 165 and haven't noticed any chroma noise or color problem at all!!! So far so good!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #5 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReesR
Steve:

Be fair!
========================================
Here is Steve Bruzonsky's quote from the TS-160 thread:

Just because you don't want to resolder it back please don't share untruths. I believe Samsung was unbelieveably gracious in their offer.

Here is the post Steve wrote just in case you think I am taking anything out of context:

Original post

Regards,

Rees
Rees, What I've said has been accurate, including my own culpability for modifying the AC of the 160. As I've said, Samsung did offer that if I would resolder back on the original AC cord, they'd take care of me. And yes, I refused that "offer". I mean, if they're going to repair my 160 unit, what the heck is the difference??? And if they're gonna take my resoldered unit and give it to someone else as a replacement for a defective new unit (are they doing this - someone else posted they were told this by Samsung, not me), then that's totally inappropriate because I have a three prong male IEC which was placed in a cutout we made in the back of the unit for it - and if I remove that there will be a large hole there which didn't come with unit as new. Is Samsung right in this policy? Probably yes as far as a public policy goes, to discourage folks from tinkering with the insides of their STBs. But was it a fair and good business decision - I think different folks think differently on that. I can tell you stories about companies like Aerial and Bryston that give the consumer every benefit of the doubt, even when the consumer is perhaps mostly wrong. And Rees, if you hadn't initially posted on the forum that the chroma noise would be correctible by software download, after which I did the AC mod, I would have waited to do it. But I take responsibility for jumping on what you said as being fact, although you are not authorized to speak on Samsung's behalf. Do you take responsibility for jumping the gun in your zeal to assure us that the 160 is a wonderful product and have patience, every problem will be solved, and initially advising that the chroma noise would be fixed by a simple software download?

post #6 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Please folks, lets not discuss this particular situation, just don't get in the hassle that I did. I thought about not bothering to say anything about Samsung stuff anymore, but the 165 is of great interest and allows digital and HD OTA recording, so how can I pass up talking about it!!

I will be back later with more info. Suffice to say that the 1394 picture through the JVC is very, very nice.
Rees, sometimes you should take a hint!!!! I would appreciate your apology for saying that I have stated an "untruth". For that is an "untruth" in and of itself and I do not appreciate your abusive comment.
I have no problem with your opinion agreeing with how Samsung handled the situation of my 160's chroma noise/red shift - but I do have an issue with you when you in effect tell folks that I'm a liar.

AND lets otherwise just move this thread onward, strictly to discuss the 160. As I become familiar with it, I will post my observations.

post #7 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SURPRISE:

The Samsung 160 wouldn't sync in 720p setting with my Dwin HD-700 CRT projector and Dwin Transcanner 2.

But the Samsung 165 when set to 720p works absolutely fine with my video setup. good news!

post #8 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 07:03 PM
MAB
AVS Special Member

Is the unit noisy? Fan noise? Power supply noise?
Thanks.
post #9 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 08:37 PM

Can't we all just get along, please............................;)
post #10 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAB
Is the unit noisy? Fan noise? Power supply noise?
Thanks.
NO NOISE at all. If there's a fan I sure don't hear it.

post #11 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
Can't we all just get along, please............................;)
AMEN. I will, provided the personal, abusive attacks on me cease!!!
Newt, thank you.

post #12 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM

Quote:
NO NOISE at all. If there's a fan I sure don't hear it.
I have a DTC-100 and it's so noisy I have to turn it off to listen to serious music. Trees don't let me get the Direct-TV HD satellite. I'd buy the T165 just over the "no noise" statement.

I would be so grateful to know what the SYNC is on the RGB -- positive or negative? If it's negative then I'll buy one first thing in the AM. :D

Thanks!

Dave
post #13 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I h ave the 165 hooked up using a Better Cables Ultra 15 pin VGA/HD cable to my Dwin Transcanner 2. I also have a 1394 cable from the 165 to my JVC D-VHS VCR, which is then hooked up via Wireworld Gold Starlight III+ (silver) component cabling to my Dwin Transcanner 2. (I have previously done lengthy and extensive demoing to determine that the Wireworld silver component cabling give me a much better picture than Belden, Canare or Better Cables Ultra or Silver Serpent component cabling.)
I also use the Wireworld silver component cabling from Toshiba DST-3000 HD Receiver and Theta Voyager DVD for 480p progressive video to Dwin Transcanner 2, and from the Dwin TS2 to my projector.

This takes up all three component/wideband component inputs to my Dwin TS2, leaving two 15 pin VGA/HD inputs available on the Dwin TS2. I now use one of these 15 pin VGA/HD inputs for the Samsung 165. Right now the only 15 pin VGA/HD cabling I have on hand, for the 165, is Better Cables Ultra. I do have Wireworld Silver Starlight III+ (copper which is silver plated) on order for this 15 pin VGA/HD cable (this is the best/thickest cable that Wireworld can terminate, and its not easy, into the 15 pin connector).

post #14 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Initially, viewing (in 1080i setting with the 165) some local OTA digital channels including Ch 8-1 PBS, set at 1080i, I felt that the 165 us ing the Better Cables Ultra 15 pin cable was softer and grainier than I'm used to with my Toshiba HD receiver. Then using the 1394 cable to watch the 165 via the JVC D-VHS VCR, I found the picture to be equal to my Toshiba's in every way. YEAAAA!

Tonight I watched "Birds of Prey" on WB Ch 61-1, but only using the 165 direct via Better Cables Ultra 15 pin cable. I tried the 165's 1080i, 720p and 480p settings. The 720p was a bit better than 1080i, which in turn was better than 480p. Does this indicate that the local WB channel uses a 720p upconverter. I'll betcha!! Especially since its been advertised that their HD presentations of "Smallville" and "Everwood" are in 720p, which by the way, just this week started in real HD!

For some reason, my Dwin CRT projector shrinks the width of the picture some in 720p vs 1080i. I found this two years ago, too, with the DISH 6000 HD OTA module in 720p, too (but I ditched the DISH OTA module and later the Sony HD-100 due to both having excessive fan noise). Due to the setup of my ceiling mounted projector, I am unable to widen the picture enough to fully fill my screen's 80" width, lacking about 1.5 or 2" per side,
but I can live with that if and when the 720p picture looks better!

post #15 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More good news!!! I was switching between, in 1080i, Jay Leno on NBC Ch 12-1 tonight, from the Toshiba DST-3000, to the Samsung 165 using its
15 pin VGA/HD, to the JVC D-VHS VCR using its 1394 cable from the 165; and now, with stuff running a few hours and projector well warmed up as well - they all look IDENTICAL. No problem with the picture somewhat grainer or red shift like I had with the Samsung 160. The 165 is PERFECT for its picture!!! Color, detail, black level, etc. right on so far. I turned to a few other digital channels (a few on, a few already off air as 11 PM here)
and they all looked the same. Again, good news!

post #16 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The bad news!!! Its real easy to set the time in the Menu, just enter if have daylight savings time, and the time zone. Earlier tonight, it showed my time correctly. But for some reason now its showing time as 4 PM instead of 11 PM. Don't know for sure what problem is. And there's no way in menu to manually enter correct time. I suspect receiver gets the time off local digital channel signals so maybe they're a bit off tonight. Stay tuned.

post #17 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I will say that I really liked the remote of the Samsung 160. The 165 remote is a completely different remote, not as form fitting for my hand,
and both the button pushing and the meny and guide on screen seem sort of slow compared to the fast speed of the 160. I can live with this, thanks to the 165 only being an OTA tuner, and thanks to its 1394 port for recording - but I wish it had the remote and speed of the 160.

post #18 of 782 Old 11-06-2002, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Going back to an old point, Samsung likely cannot void your warranty because of your modifications. The warranty can only be voided for problems that occur due to the mod. Since the red push problem is well documented, and existed in your unit before the mod, they are legally obligated to make the repair. Consumer protection laws prevent such broad applications of voiding a warranty. If you want them to act, threaten to consult an attorney about the matter. I think they'd rather make the mod than deal with defending your claim.
post #19 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 03:47 AM

Liked: 11
Did the 165 come with a dvi cable ??

Thanks for the time
post #20 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 04:17 AM
jlm
AVS Special Member

how about reception: OTA and sat?

are you able to record HD-sat (HBO, SHO and HDnet) with the firewire to JVC D-vhs deck or only OTA HD?

john
post #21 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Steve,

Going back to an old point, Samsung likely cannot void your warranty because of your modifications. The warranty can only be voided for problems that occur due to the mod. Since the red push problem is well documented, and existed in your unit before the mod, they are legally obligated to make the repair. Consumer protection laws prevent such broad applications of voiding a warranty. If you want them to act, threaten to consult an attorney about the matter. I think they'd rather make the mod than deal with defending your claim.
XFactor, thanks for pearls of wisdom. Of course, please understand I was trying to be tactful up in my above posts, because I am an attorney, and because I moderate two forums here at AVS Forums. That's why I mentioned, in my post over at that other Samsung 160 thread, that I thought that if I filed in Small Claims Court over this that there's a good chance I could prevail.

post #22 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JS_racer
Did the 165 come with a dvi cable ??

Thanks for the time
No DVI cable came with the 165. One did come with the 160.

No 1394 cable came with it, either. The only cables that came with the 160 are two sets of component video cables and two sets of analog stereo cables.

post #23 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlm
how about reception: OTA and sat?

are you able to record HD-sat (HBO, SHO and HDnet) with the firewire to JVC D-vhs deck or only OTA HD?
The 165 with the 1394 (firewire) is OTA only, no DirecTV. The 160 with OTA and DirecTV doesn't have 1394 (firewire).

post #24 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 07:23 AM
MAB
AVS Special Member

How would you rate the multipath capability? My ex-sirt150 was not good in that department. How would you compare it to the 150 overall if you had a chance to play with a 150 in the past?

Thanks.
post #25 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had a chance to see how the DVI output looks like from the 165?
post #26 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, see my post above. The DVI output looks great. Jay Leno on NBC in HD looks identical using the DVI, then component out from my D-VHS VCR to my Dwin projector, as when I use my reference Toshiba HD receiver!!!

post #27 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAB
How would you rate the multipath capability? My ex-sirt150 was not good in that department. How would you compare it to the 150 overall if you had a chance to play with a 150 in the past?

Thanks.
Sorry, I haven't had a 150. All of my channels receive great, just as they do with the 160 in my family room, and the Toshiba HD receiver in my home theater room, too. But I have a fantastic outside antenna, with rotor, and all our stations are from South Mountain in Phoenix, so I find normally one antenna position fits all stations with high signal strength. My antenna is over my roof a bit to avoid multipath problems as much as possible.

post #28 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 11:44 AM

In the remote section of the manual on page 2.2 there is reference to a row called component selection buttons.
14 COMPONENT SELECTION BUTTONS
Press to select a particular component (STB, TV, VCR, CATV, DVD) to be controlled by the
remote control. See “Programming the Remote Control for Other Components†on page
(4.19).

Just curious to know if pressing these buttons also changes it to the corresponding input.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=187348
post #29 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Folks, I will try to answer questions as I get around to it in my use of the 165. Meanwhile, I will only answer stuff that I've tried and know what I'm talking about. Thanks for patience.

post #30 of 782 Old 11-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have a Dsih5000/HDmod det up? If so, can you try recording by connecting the HDmod output to the 165 and using channel 3 on the 165 with the 165 firewire connected to the JVC 30k?

I believe Pete Putnam had problems with this setup. I'm hoping to learn that you are successful.

Thanks
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page