Sun City Center, FL - Need Antenna Advice - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Sun City Center, FL - Need Antenna Advice

Hello AVS Community,

I received great feedback and advice from the community here on my first OTA & Antenna experience last month. Based off everyone's recommendations I went with the CM-4221HD.

Now, I am back to obtain some advice for my parents who live in FL. They are looking to cut the cord as well. I am not sure what antenna would compliment their location and where it should be facing.

Below are the details of my parents location:

TVfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0463fff4422

Attitc: My parents have an attic in the garage. I have never been up there so I am not sure how big it is.

TV: Mitsubishi 73" 1080p 120Hz DLP HDTV

Towers: I am not sure if I have cellular towers near by.

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Curlyp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 123
This should be about as easy as it can get. All their stations are really strong. A small antenna such as the ANT751 or HBU11 in the attic should get everything in the 32 to 40 degree range pointed at 36 degrees. Do not use a preamp. A distribution amp might be okay if the signal is split 4 or more ways. Don't bother for 2 ways.
Calaveras is online now  
post #3 of 6 Unread Today, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
This should be about as easy as it can get. All their stations are really strong. A small antenna such as the ANT751 or HBU11 in the attic should get everything in the 32 to 40 degree range pointed at 36 degrees. Do not use a preamp. A distribution amp might be okay if the signal is split 4 or more ways. Don't bother for 2 ways.
Thanks for the information Calaveras! If for some reason the attic above the garage is too small, where would you recommend installing the antenna? Or do you recommend a different type?
Curlyp is online now  
post #4 of 6 Unread Today, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Calaveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Ranch
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyp View Post
Thanks for the information Calaveras! If for some reason the attic above the garage is too small, where would you recommend installing the antenna? Or do you recommend a different type?

You're not going to get anything much smaller that's going to cover both VHF and UHF. How about mounting it on the roof?
Calaveras is online now  
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Either of the suggested antennas should fit in most any tight spot. The HBU 11 is a great bang for the buck. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller since you have some VHF stations in the mix.
Digital Rules is online now  
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
You're not going to get anything much smaller that's going to cover both VHF and UHF. How about mounting it on the roof?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
Either of the suggested antennas should fit in most any tight spot. The HBU 11 is a great bang for the buck. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller since you have some VHF stations in the mix.
Thank you both.

I will contact my father and ask him to give me some estimates of the attic size. I am going down to visit next month, so I will setup everything then.

I'll keep you all posted on the results.
Curlyp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off