Antenna cable mystery - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Antenna cable mystery

I have an antenna on top of the house I'm renting and there are cables coming down from it that disappear into a hole in the side of the house. Inside, on the opposite side of the wall where the cables go in, there is just wall, so those cables are going somewhere else. In three different locations throughout the house there are coax cables, dual cables (like they are two separate cables but they are fused together), that come up from the floor. I've connected all of them to our TV and done a scan but none of them provide any signal. Does anyone have a guess as to what's going on in this setup? If there's a splitter somewhere, where is it likely to be?

Also, if I don't want to bother with tracking all this down, can I just cut the cables coming from the antenna and put new ends on them? There seems to be a thin cable also coming from the antenna that's much thinner than a coax cable but it also disappears into the wall in the same spot. Is that power?

Finally, I currently have DirecTV, in case that matters. Looking to ditch it for OTA.

I'm a total newb at all this, sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks!

The more bullets in your belt the more trouble you can shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-21-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can you get to antenna, if so check to see if wire(s) connecting balun to antenna aren't broken, or just replace it if it is old anyway (only cost 3 or $4) test outlets again.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Can you tell if the antenna has/has ever had a rotor? That might account for the thin cable. Since your outside cables seem to go into the wall and your inside ones up from the floor I would go looking in the basement or crawl space for splitters or any junctions.
There is a chance that the house has also been wired for cable TV at some point and the antenna feed may not be hooked up inside any more, again look in the basement.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "

post #4 of 31 Old 03-21-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Can you tell if the antenna has/has ever had a rotor? That might account for the thin cable. Since your outside cables seem to go into the wall and your inside ones up from the floor I would go looking in the basement or crawl space for splitters or any junctions.
There is a chance that the house has also been wired for cable TV at some point and the antenna feed may not be hooked up inside any more, again look in the basement.
How's the signal path of a tv antenna with rotor? I don't understand.
Antenna >>>>(coax cable1)>>>>Amp box with rotor direction control>>>>(coax cable2)>>>>TV
How's that coax cable1 able to receive tv signal and deliver motor power at the same time? Or is there something special about that cable (more than just coax)?
post #5 of 31 Old 03-21-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
How's the signal path of a tv antenna with rotor? I don't understand.
Antenna >>>>(coax cable1)>>>>Amp box with rotor direction control>>>>(coax cable2)>>>>TV
How's that coax cable1 able to receive tv signal and deliver motor power at the same time? Or is there something special about that cable (more than just coax)?
The thin cable is only for powering the rotor, the signal would still go through a coax cable if that's what's up there. So you would see a round coax and the other wire( which can be multiple wires in one jacket). It's more than likely that the antenna predates digital broadcasting so you never know what is really up on that mast. If the antenna is really old you may if have one with a rotor that no longer works. In a lot of areas people don't bother to take down old antennas even when they don't use them.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #6 of 31 Old 03-21-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Some possibilities you might want to investigate:

1) Coax NO LONGER connected at Antenna....or somewhere else in distribution chain....
2) Antenna has a Mast-Mounted Preamp that needs a matching Power Insertion Module....
3) Distribution Amplifier might be located in Attic but needs a matching Power Insertion Module....

All of these require actually finding and inspecting the coax cables....

A trip into the Attic (or basement or crawlspace) is probably required whether you decide to use existing or all new Coax (be sure to lay down boards so you don't fall through).

If the Coax runs are still a mystery, you might want to get a Signal Tone Generator and Signal Detector Set, such as:
http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-3375-...ription-iframe
http://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-T...le+tone+tracer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...E7N6BEKV3VTHSD
I have no experience using ANY of the CURRENTLY available devices, so I have no opinion re how well each of them works to trace Coax Cable. They work by sending an AUDIO frequency square-wave signal down the cable which radiates many harmonics of that signal that can be picked up by the Tracer within a few feet of the excited cable.

Last edited by holl_ands; 03-21-2015 at 08:13 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-22-2015, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The thin cable is only for powering the rotor, the signal would still go through a coax cable if that's what's up there. So you would see a round coax and the other wire( which can be multiple wires in one jacket). It's more than likely that the antenna predates digital broadcasting so you never know what is really up on that mast. If the antenna is really old you may if have one with a rotor that no longer works. In a lot of areas people don't bother to take down old antennas even when they don't use them.
I've seen amp box which has no extra wire, just the standard coax, but still with the ability to rotate the antenna.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I've seen amp box which has no extra wire, just the standard coax, but still with the ability to rotate the antenna.
Where did you see the amp box?

post #9 of 31 Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where did you see the amp box?
This is very common in China, and everywhere else too.
Example of product:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...cket=13#detail
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...cket=13#detail

The amp box does a have a power cable in, but it doesn't have a power cable out to the rotor.

Last edited by Skylinestar; 03-22-2015 at 06:41 PM.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm going to try and take some pictures to share. There's no attic in this house that I've been able to find an entry into and I also haven't found any way to get under the house, but I do believe there is space under it because we have to go up a few stairs to get in. I just haven't found any opening large enough for a human to get through. I'm guessing that there is some other piece of equipment under the house that may be key to all of this. I don't know if there's a rotor, hopefully some pictures will help.

I called an antenna installer and he told me that an antenna is an antenna and that there's no such thing as a "digital" antenna, that old antennas are still viable. Is this accurate? Also, someone mentioned a balun, what is that?

All of this stuff was already there when I started renting the house, including two DirecTV dishes, only one of which I believe are currently being used with my account. Unfortunately there's nobody for me to ask who lived there previously.

post #11 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When TV went from Analog to Digital there was a major reshuffling of the channels...so your OLD Antenna may or may not be suitable for CURRENT channels. To determine how well YOUR Antenna performs in YOUR location, we need to identify the Antenna (photos please) and copy/paste the RESULTS URL (Webaddress at top of Browser) after entering you location into www.TVFool.com.
post #12 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have some preliminary info. Here's the report from TVFool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0cb9475dba8

And here are some pictures that I lifted from Google maps. I will take some pictures of my own as soon as I can. These aren't high quality.

http://1drv.ms/1EKJlnG

The antenna is the tower on the right in the pictures. The other is available to me if anyone thinks it's better but the one on the right has the antenna(s) that have the cables going into my house.

post #13 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi5kenobi View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm going to try and take some pictures to share. There's no attic in this house that I've been able to find an entry into and I also haven't found any way to get under the house, but I do believe there is space under it because we have to go up a few stairs to get in. I just haven't found any opening large enough for a human to get through. I'm guessing that there is some other piece of equipment under the house that may be key to all of this. I don't know if there's a rotor, hopefully some pictures will help.

I called an antenna installer and he told me that an antenna is an antenna and that there's no such thing as a "digital" antenna, that old antennas are still viable. Is this accurate? Also, someone mentioned a balun, what is that?

All of this stuff was already there when I started renting the house, including two DirecTV dishes, only one of which I believe are currently being used with my account. Unfortunately there's nobody for me to ask who lived there previously.
A balun connects the 300 ohm antenna output to the 75 ohm coax, the thin 300 ohm wires tend to corrode and break at spade connectors after years of being in the elements. http://dennys-tv-antenna.mybigcommer...er-mt-75-more/
post #14 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I have some preliminary info. Here's the report from TVFool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0cb9475dba8

And here are some pictures that I lifted from Google maps. I will take some pictures of my own as soon as I can. These aren't high quality.

http://1drv.ms/1EKJlnG

The antenna is the tower on the right in the pictures. The other is available to me if anyone thinks it's better but the one on the right has the antenna(s) that have the cables going into my house.
That's more antenna than house, you should get the antenna guy you talked to come over. Should not cost more 2 to 3 hours of his time (a balun or two and maybe some coax) to get you set up.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpl View Post
That's more antenna than house, you should get the antenna guy you talked to come over. Should not cost more 2 to 3 hours of his time (a balun or two and maybe some coax) to get you set up.
I know that would be the best solution, problem is he's $45 per hour and I'm super short on money, which is why I'm trying to ditch DirecTV and go OTA. Might just have to save up and have the pro come by.

That balun, I assume that's up by the antenna and not down wherever this mystery splitter or whatever is? I'm not even sure how I'd get up to the antenna without a cherry picker truck.

post #16 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I know that would be the best solution, problem is he's $45 per hour and I'm super short on money, which is why I'm trying to ditch DirecTV and go OTA. Might just have to save up and have the pro come by.

That balun, I assume that's up by the antenna and not down wherever this mystery splitter or whatever is? I'm not even sure how I'd get up to the antenna without a cherry picker truck.
Wow, I didn't think he would charge that much figured 20 $25 and yes the balun(s) are up there on antenna(s). He would just climb up tower, definitely not something to do if don't know what your doing. See if he will give you a free estimate, if nothing else you would get info about all that up there for free.
post #17 of 31 Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpl View Post
Wow, I didn't think he would charge that much figured 20 $25 and yes the balun(s) are up there on antenna(s). He would just climb up tower, definitely not something to do if don't know what your doing. See if he will give you a free estimate, if nothing else you would get info about all that up there for free.
I'll call him back and see what, if anything, he'll do for free. Thank you everyone for your help!

post #18 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What you CAN do is buy a Hi-VHF/UHF Combo Antenna...whatever you can AFFORD....and attach it to the tower or your house at a level that YOU can reach comfortably and point it toward 332-deg. [It would help if you could rerun & post TVFool Results for the lower height.]

AntennaCraft HBU-22 is only $38 when shipped to your local Radio Shack.....but may or may not be enough to receive NBC from the lower height. Higher Gain, Higher Cost alternatives include AntennaCraft HBU-33 or HBU-44 or Winegard HD-7694P and others....

You might even find you don't NEED to eventually mount it on top of that Monster Oil Derrick.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 03-24-2015 at 11:09 AM.
post #19 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
IMO...
Get some price estimates for "limited basic" or "antenna service" (locals only) from a cable or FiOS provider. See how that compares to new antenna, new wiring, and health care insurance coverage.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The AntennaCraft HBU-22 is in short supply and getting hard to find. If you take holl_ands advice and mount that antenna at a convenient height, aim it at 319 degrees magnetic, and run a new RG6 coax cable directly to your TV for a test, you should get these channels:

KOVR, CBS, real channel 25, 317 degrees magnetic

KMAX-TV, CW, Real channel 21, 319 degrees

KCRA-DT, NBC, Real channel 35, 319 degrees

KTXL-DT, Fox, Real channel 40, 318 degrees

KQCA-DT, MyN, Real Channel 46, 319 degrees magnetic

KSPX-DT, ION, Real channel 48, 319 degrees magnetic

KXTV, ABC, Real channel 10, 317 degrees magnetic

KVIE-DT, PBS, Real channel 9, 318 degrees magnetic

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-24-2015 at 12:27 PM.
post #21 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
What you CAN do is buy a Hi-VHF/UHF Combo Antenna...whatever you can AFFORD....and attach it to the tower or your house at a level that YOU can reach comfortably and point it toward 332-deg. [It would help if you could rerun & post TVFool Results for the lower height.]

AntennaCraft HBU-22 is only $38 when shipped to your local Radio Shack.....but may or may not be enough to receive NBC from the lower height. Higher Gain, Higher Cost alternatives include AntennaCraft HBU-33 or HBU-44 or Winegard HD-7694P and others....

You might even find you don't NEED to eventually mount it on top of that Monster Oil Derrick.....
I have been wondering if buying another antenna would be cheaper than getting the current setup fixed or reconnected. Probably.

As for the "oil derrick" (lol), the thing that I think you are talking about, on the left, isn't actually on my house. It's behind it and goes all the way down to ground level. The thing on the right, the taller thing, that is actually on top of my house. That is the one with the cables that go down into my house. They both appear to have antennae on them. Here's a picture that may help:

http://1drv.ms/1DUPWOS

So you would recommend the AntennaCraft antennae? Antennas? There are so many options and many of them with good reviews, I was overwhelmed trying to figure out what to get.

post #22 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The AntennaCraft HBU-22 is in short supply and getting hard to find. If you take holl_ands advice and mount that antenna at a convenient height, aim it at 319 degrees magnetic, and run a new RG6 coax cable directly to your TV for a test, you should get these channels:

KOVR, CBS, real channel 25, 317 degrees magnetic

KMAX-TV, CW, Real channel 21, 319 degrees

KCRA-DT, NBC, Real channel 35, 319 degrees

KTXL-DT, Fox, Real channel 40, 318 degrees

KQCA-DT, MyN, Real Channel 46, 319 degrees magnetic

KSPX-DT, ION, Real channel 48, 319 degrees magnetic

Wow, thanks! I'm going to need ABC. I need ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Other than that, it's all extra. Is there an antenna you would recommend to get all of those?

post #23 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 215
sorry, redo of post 20
The new software on this forum is not user friendly.
Quote:
.....Also, if I don't want to bother with tracking all this down.....There's no attic in this house that I've been able to find an entry into and I also haven't found any way to get under the house, but I do believe there is space under it because we have to go up a few stairs to get in. I just haven't found any opening large enough for a human to get through.....I'm super short on money, which is why I'm trying to ditch DirecTV and go OTA....That balun, I assume that's up by the antenna and not down wherever this mystery splitter or whatever is? I'm not even sure how I'd get up to the antenna without a cherry picker truck.
The AntennaCraft HBU-22 is in short supply. If you take holl_ands advice and mount it at a convenient height, aim it at 319 degrees magnetic, and run a new RG6 coax cable to your TV for a test, you should get these channels:

KOVR, CBS, real channel 25, NM 38.3 dB, 317 degrees magnetic
KMAX-TV, CW, Real channel 21, NM 37.6 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KCRA-DT, NBC, Real channel 35, NM 36.0 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KTXL-DT, Fox, Real channel 40, NM 34.7 dB, 318 degrees magnetic
KQCA-DT, MyN, Real Channel 46, NM 33.8 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KSPX-DT, ION, Real channel 48, NM 26.0 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KXTV, ABC, Real channel 10, NM 24.6 dB, 317 degrees magnetic
KVIE-DT, PBS, Real channel 9, NM 23.1 dB, 318 degrees magnetic

If your test gives you good results, connect the coax downlead to a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire. The mast should also be grounded, but that has probably already been done.

The least expensive antenna is the one that holl_ands suggested....the HBU22.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hbu22

The Winegard 7694 would also be suitable.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd7694p&d=winegard-vhf%2Fuhf-hdtv-antenna-(hd7694p)

The antenna that is needed is determined by the real channel number, not the virtual channel number.

It is possible to build a DIY antenna for the UHF (14-51) channels, but after adding up your expenses, making a VHF-high (7-13) antenna for the last two channels, and combining the two with a UVSJ, it would be better to just buy one for UHF and VHF.
http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html

I was wondering what your FM signals looked like, using your estimated location, to see if they would cause any interference to your TV signals:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obi5kenobiFM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	622457  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-24-2015 at 05:39 PM.
post #24 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
sorry, redo post 2
The new software on this forum is not user friendly.
The AntennaCraft HBU-22 is in short supply. If you take holl_ands advice and mount it at a convenient height, aim it at 319 degrees magnetic, and run a new RG6 coax cable to your TV for a test, you should get these channels:

KOVR, CBS, real channel 25, NM 38.3 dB, 317 degrees magnetic
KMAX-TV, CW, Real channel 21, NM 37.6 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KCRA-DT, NBC, Real channel 35, NM 36.0 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KTXL-DT, Fox, Real channel 40, NM 34.7 dB, 318 degrees magnetic
KQCA-DT, MyN, Real Channel 46, NM 33.8 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KSPX-DT, ION, Real channel 48, NM 26.0 dB, 319 degrees magnetic
KXTV, ABC, Real channel 10, NM 24.6 dB, 317 degrees magnetic
KVIE-DT, PBS, Real channel 9, NM 23.1 dB, 318 degrees magnetic

If your test gives you good results, connect the coax downlead to a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire. The mast should also be grounded, but that has probably already been done.

The least expensive antenna is the one that holl_ands suggested....the HBU22.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hbu22

The Winegard 7694 would also be suitable.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd7694p&d=winegard-vhf%2Fuhf-hdtv-antenna-(hd7694p)

The antenna that is needed is determined by the real channel number, not the virtual channel number.

It is possible to build a DIY antenna for the UHF (14-51) channels, but after adding up your expenses, making a VHF-high (7-13) antenna for the last two channels, and combining the two with a UVSJ, it would be better to just buy one for UHF and VHF.
http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html

I was wondering what your FM signals looked like, using your estimated location, to see if they would cause any interference to your TV signals:
This is good info, thank you for taking the time to help me with this!

post #25 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
...AntennaCraft HBU-22 is only $38 when shipped to your local Radio Shack......
Umm.. Radio Shack... Good Luck with that.... RIP

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #26 of 31 Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Umm.. Radio Shack... Good Luck with that.... RIP
That was my thought as well but their web page appears to be active.

post #27 of 31 Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reports of Radio Shack's demise have been greatly exaggerated....in order to avoid Bankrupcy, they have agreed to shut down HALF of their Stores while also making room for SPRINT to establish an in-store presence....so we should now call them "SPRINT CELL-SHACK":
http://www.businessinsider.com/radio...re-list-2015-2

Here is a SEARCHABLE list of stores being shut down:
http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdf...ist_020415.pdf
Unfortunately, list is in store number order...so it's pretty much Random.
Must have been put together by a LAWYER...who delights in obfuscation.....

And here is an Interactive Map to see which stores in YOUR area are shutting down:
http://graphics.wsj.com/shuttering-the-shacks
Unfortunately it doesn't show which stores are remaining OPEN.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 03-26-2015 at 10:49 AM.
post #28 of 31 Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Or... just drive (or call?) to a RS near you and see if they are still in business (open). Place an order and hope for the best.
post #29 of 31 Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Scanning with a TV on an antenna or any random coax setup is unlikely to find any channels, since the TV might be an analog TV.

Instead, try scanning with a modern DTV which contains both ATSC and QAM tuners.

Then run a 'channel scan' on any coax-connection-point , in both ''antenna' mode as well as 'cable' mode, and you may find a place where the roof-antenna is connected.

Another inexpensive/easy test is to try using a $5 UHF loop , perhaps via a $6 RF-adapter, and do an antenna-mode scan with that.

TTFN !
post #30 of 31 Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone give an opinion on this antenna?

Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antennas-Dir...item4191878516

They have really good reviews on amazon.com and I've found them on ebay for reasonable prices. I trust the people here over amazon reviews though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page