Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also have audio drop-out with my new HD200 but it may be in some part a transmission problem. When I go to the local HDTV programming forum I see many of us complaiaing about audio dropout on the same show but with different equipment such as Alias last Sunday. As someone else mentioned, I had no such problems during the super bowl. This is so frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Big Red & Elbig, I can tell you from experience that leaving the Dolby Digital output on is a guaranteed way to drive yourself crazy. There are three possible ways to prevent this.

1. Return the HD200 for a refund.

2. Switch the audio output to PCM and wait patiently for a fix from Sony/LG.

3. Buy a compatible processor or receiver.

None of the above choices may be optimal, but they are cheaper than therapy.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #183 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I'll try PCM for a while. How do I complain to Sony? I am not sure if it will do any good but I want to add my voice to the crowd.
post #184 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 11:31 AM

The only way for Sony to know that there is a problem is for people to call them and let them know. I know I posted this before, but I will say it again; if you return your unit, sony will never know that you returned it because of Audio dropouts. It seems that someone posted here a comment that Circuit City sent the unit for repair and then received it back from repair and placed it on the shelf, and it was obvious that CC repair did not do anything with it but plug it in, turn it on and saw that it worked.
Sony's number is 1-800-838-SONY (7669) and go through the menus that refer to DSS equipment. Of course it's your option and you can return it and get a different unit like the Samsung, but I've read that the Samsung unit has problems of it's own. I still have an open issue with Sony on this and once a week I do call and make sure that the issue is still open.
Take care

Michael
post #185 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Basically I like the unit. The Sammy looks very good as well but it has it's own problems. Thanks for the number. I will call Sony.
post #186 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 05:12 PM

i think the answer is---wait till something better comes along. I know this is tough, espically after you have experienced HiDef. I returned my 160 cuz of it's problems, and i looked for a HD200 at my local CC & BB but they did not have any--their return policy is pretty nice.

RCA & Hughes should be coming out with their versions pretty soon. Hopefully it'll be before ESPN-HD starts up--or i may have to borrow one!

I know it's important to let the manufactures know why you are returning your unit--folks here should call sony---but we are such a VERY small drop in the bucket compared to the folks who are going to buy one and live with all the problems--and think this is just the way it is.

sorry for taking all the bandwidth and really contributing nothing!
post #187 of 234 Old 02-05-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Red One
I am also having all the problems described in this thread with my HD200. I've noticed it on HDNet quite a bit. While watching e.r. and NYPD Blue on OTA HD. During the playoffs on CBS HD.

It's been driving me crazy. I swapped out my AV receiver, a Sony STR 675 (with another Sony model). I swapped out my optical cable. I swapped out my HD200 with a refurbished HD200 that Sony sent me. Nothing fixed the problem. Now I'm thinking maybe I should try another AV receiver.

I'll let you know how that goes.
FYI, Zenith HDSAT520 has the same problem, so don't go there.
Samsung TS160 is better with the DD audio dropouts, except I
had some dropouts on the Music channels. Main problem with
HDSAT520 was a OTA HD signal problem. Sometimes it would
show a picture with 100%, other times it wouldn't with a signal
of 0%.

So all 3 DVI models have their problems.
post #188 of 234 Old 02-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

I received two hd sat 520's from zenith. Turns out they were "renewed" so I just left mine in place and sent them back. I figure they are not any different than what I have. Right now I just leave it in pcm to avoid going crazy.
Paul
post #189 of 234 Old 02-13-2003, 07:04 AM

Just Got Off The Phone With Sony (Level II Tech)

Just to let everyone know the level II tech I spoke with today confirmed for me that Sony was NO software update in the works. I n fact he said they have had very few reports of HD200 owners with the Digital Audio Dropout problem. He suggested for me to return the unit for repair or exchange. I told him I had taken the first unit back to CC and received another new unit that had the same exact problem and my HD100 did not have this problem. His response was this was a minor issue and is not currently being addressed due to the small feedback received concerning this problem.

So for all of you waiting on a software update don't hold your breathe! He told me LG Electronics manufactured the unit and any updates to the software would come from LG.

Everyone with this issue needs to call Sony and let them know there is a problem.

John
post #190 of 234 Old 02-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Zenith 520 and a B&K ref 50. When I changed the B&K setting to thx from surround the audio drop stopped. Anyone else who has this combo or a pre/pro that allows you to specify thx maybe you can try and see if you can reproduce this. The opticalout from the sat 520 is set to dolby digital and the B&K auto detects the bitstream.
Paul
post #191 of 234 Old 02-13-2003, 06:15 PM

I talked to a Level II Tech. She said that she personally had taken several calls on this issue and they all had been referred to "Engineering". She committed to check into the status and get back to me. I'll update next week when she calls. She seemed very dedicated and committed to getting back to me. We will see...........

mdm
post #192 of 234 Old 02-13-2003, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon_E_R
So for all of you waiting on a software update don't hold your breathe! He told me LG Electronics manufactured the unit and any updates to the software would come from LG.
LG is known to be preparing an update for the HD-SAT520--maybe it will work for both boxes.
post #193 of 234 Old 02-14-2003, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have the Zenith 520 and a B&K ref 50. When I changed the B&K setting to thx from surround the audio drop stopped. Anyone else who has this combo or a pre/pro that allows you to specify thx maybe you can try and see if you can reproduce this. The opticalout from the sat 520 is set to dolby digital and the B&K auto detects the bitstream.
Paul
Paul, I've read before that the audio dropout was happening to high end pro-processors due to an unforgiving tight adherence to a specification within the HD200. While the B&K Ref 50 is certainly a high end processor, your experience would seem to indicate a problem not with the audio output of the HD200. Because the signal stream from the HD200 is the same. All that's changing to cause the audio dropout appears to be happening inside the Ref 50 when you change surround modes.

I'm not having the audio dropout problem with the HD200 connected to my "low end" processor, but I'll still swap with you to help you out! ;)

Tom
post #194 of 234 Old 02-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

I tried switching to THX, but no luck. Just got off the phone with B&K though, and they're hoping that the software update will fix the audio dropout with the LG boxes. They know that it works with the Samsung ones, but also believe that the update will fix the dropout problems with the LG boxes as well.

Here's hoping...

post #195 of 234 Old 02-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Jon

Dave,

The update you refer to, is that for the HD200 or the B&K pre/pro amp?

John
post #196 of 234 Old 02-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Jon
It is for the B&K reference 50. According to the tech support people there they developed a software update card for the ref 50 because so many people complained about audio dropout with the samsung hd box. I am not sure which model. He said that they new the problem was not caused by them but rather by samsung (and I assume other hd box manufactures and or broadcasters) not adhering strictly to the DD protocol causing the dropouts. They "loosened" the protocol to allow it to accept the lower grade signal. My card ships today and I should have it in next week. i will let you know if it resolves the problem. If it does then others may be able to get similar revisions for their pre/pro.
Paul
post #197 of 234 Old 02-21-2003, 07:48 AM

For all the people that called Sony, hopefully it has finally paid off. I received a call yesterday from second level support. They received a message from Engineering that a fix will be broadcast through Direct TV, at an estimated time frame of the end of April.
post #198 of 234 Old 02-21-2003, 12:58 PM
LCC

I received a call from Sony as well (Ron) and he stated that a patch would be sent via DirecTV in the MArch April time frame.
post #199 of 234 Old 02-21-2003, 12:59 PM

Did they say the patch would include any other upgrades or fixes?
post #200 of 234 Old 02-21-2003, 02:40 PM

This might be somewhat of a tangent, but am curious about a sound
problem I'm having... scanning this thread and others, not sure what
I'm experiencing is drop out per se...

Basically all my HD channels (SAT and OTA) seem ok... except one...
happens to be our local WB feed... on that one, sound starts out ok
but then fades into static over about a 10 minute span to the point
that you can't understand the dialog... flipping the channel up and
back causes the HD200 to relock on the channel so the sound is fine
again for another 10 minutes or so... if I leave it, once the static starts,
it doesn't seem to ever recover...

The signal strength on this channel is pretty good... guessing 80%...
and other weaker signal channels don't exhibit this problem...

Anyone else see anything like this? Is this something with my HD200?
Is it the OTA feed? Something else entirely? Any ideas?

Thanks...
post #201 of 234 Old 02-21-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LCC
I received a call from Sony as well (Ron) and he stated that a patch would be sent via DirecTV in the MArch April time frame.

All, I too got the same call....they have duplicated the issue, working a fix to be sent via DirecTV. My contact said April or May.

mdm_boulder
post #202 of 234 Old 03-20-2003, 10:51 PM

Any more news on this? Has anyone received a refurbed unit with newer software?

David
post #203 of 234 Old 03-21-2003, 08:15 AM

I've noticed several people are starting to receive refurbished HD200 units with the unpgraded software installed (1.04).

Can anyone report if they had the older software and digital audio drops has the new software solved this issue?

I've been waiting since August to re-purchase the HD200 if Sony could / would solve this issue.

Please report your experiences with the new software!

Thanks,
John
post #204 of 234 Old 03-21-2003, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mdm_boulder
All, I too got the same call....they have duplicated the issue, working a fix to be sent via DirecTV. My contact said April or May.

mdm_boulder

Hmm! When I called in ealry January, I was told the download fix would come in late January. Sounds like it is slipping more than one month per month. At this rate it will not occur in our lifetimes.

jgr
post #205 of 234 Old 03-22-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon_E_R
I've noticed several people are starting to receive refurbished HD200 units with the unpgraded software installed (1.04).

Can anyone report if they had the older software and digital audio drops has the new software solved this issue?

I've been waiting since August to re-purchase the HD200 if Sony could / would solve this issue.

Please report your experiences with the new software!

Thanks,
John
I recived a refurbished unit yesterday with the new software. I always had audio dropouts on CBS and HDNET. After watching 2 days of basketball and other show I have had not 1 droupout. The new patch seems to have fixed the problem.
post #206 of 234 Old 03-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

hallefreakinlujah

post #207 of 234 Old 03-23-2003, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

But this was a refurbished unit. Do we still have a confirmation of the delivery of a downloaded patch for this problem?
post #208 of 234 Old 04-01-2003, 11:11 AM

I finally got around to calling Sony about the DD 5.1 audio dropout problem with my HD-200 (using a Theta Casablanca 2 pre-pro). I talked to two Level I techs who were basically clueless about the problem. I then got transferred to a Level II tech who acknowledged the problem and indicated they're working on a software update right now. It will be downloaded through DirecTV, and he expected it to be available later this month. He said to call back if I don't have it by 4/30/03. The primary reason for the update is to address the dropout problem, but apparently there will be other fixes as well (he wasn't sure what). So, it sounds as if this problem will be fixed soon (hopefully)! In the interim I just have the HD-200 set to output PCM.

Is anyone else having problems with the HD-200 losing Favorite and Hidden channel settings in the Guide? This is the other issue I've had with the HD-200 that drives me crazy. Hopefully, the software update will fix this also.

Tom
post #209 of 234 Old 04-01-2003, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

I received the software update (Version 1.04.00) this morning at 4:39 am CST. I didn't have a chance to play with it much, but I heard no audio dropouts during the short time I was able to listen to HDNet and the one OTA ATSC station that had given me problems. There are similar comments in other threads reporting the same experience.

For a list of items addressed in the software update, try www.zenithservice.com and look for the info on the HD-SAT520 Software Vesion 1.04.00 update in PDF form. It details the items addressed in the update.

John
post #210 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I received the software update 1.04.00 at 3:39 MST. I wasn't having the audio dropout problem before, and seems okay now as well.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page