Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #211 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I received 1.04.00 at 5:39 am April 1. It corrected my audio drop out problem. It was a real nuisance before the update. I think I may have had one quick drop out since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 10:37 AM

Liked: 10
Last night, for the first time since getting the HD200 11/02, I totally lost audio. Not a dropout -- zipo audio! Right in the middle of viewing; didn't touch the remote. Volume control wasn't responsive; all channels. Picture was fine; no alert message. Like others, my software was updated 4/1/03, and I hope there's no connection. Once I restarted everything, I got audio back. In five months I've never had a single reboot, and audio dropouts were not a problem (just a little hiccup after tuning into a new 5.1 channel). I hope this was a fluke, and doesn't represent a "downgrade."
post #213 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

JFR0317;Tom Roper;elbig: Are you all saying that D* downloaded a software fix April 1st at the same time (in different time zones)? Unless I missed something the posts jumped from talking about the fix being made available in late Apr/May to the fix being downloaded to everyone on April 1st?

If this is true why haven't we heard from other forum members? So the audio drop out problem has been fixed if you are a D* user?
post #214 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DOBE
JFR0317;Tom Roper;elbig: Are you all saying that D* downloaded a software fix April 1st at the same time (in different time zones)?
This appears to be the case. My HD200 is showing the current software version as (04/01/2003 04:39) HD2 1.04.00.

It seems that the dropout problem has indeed been fixed.

The remote sensitivity change seems to have made a big difference too.
post #215 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What "remote sensitivity" change are you referring to?

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #216 of 234 Old 04-03-2003, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drvais
What "remote sensitivity" change are you referring to?
The rapid (and undesired) repeating of cursor movement from the remote when navigating the guide, menu, favorites pane, etc. The 520 change list referenced earlier in this thread indicated that they had made some adjustments to fix this. (ID #11 - Cursor Commands Overly Sensitive)

Since receiving the update I have not experienced any undesired repeating of commands from the remote. Perhaps "sensitivity" was the wrong word to use, seeing as how there have been complaints about the HD200 not being sensitive enough to IR signals.
post #217 of 234 Old 04-04-2003, 12:32 AM

After the software update, I noticed that the remote is not working nearly as well as it was before. I have to hit the button 2 or 3 times or at least make certain that I'm aiming right at the HD200. I was thinking that my batteries were going dead but this started right after the update.

Does anyone else think the remote does not work as well after the update?

David
post #218 of 234 Old 04-04-2003, 11:28 AM

I received the 1.04 update on 4/1 for my HD-200, like everyone else. So far it does seem to have fixed the DD 5.1 audio dropout problem. Certainly welcome news! However, last night when I turned it on, the HD-200 had lost all my OTA channels. Receipt of the 1.04 update did NOT cause this (at least initially) as everything was fine with the channel list on 4/1 and 4/2. I re-scanned channels and it wouldn't pick up my local OTA channels. I then unplugged the unit to force a re-boot. When I powered on again it rebuilt the channel list and everything was OK, with the exception that it had lost my Favorite and Hidden channel settings. I have been having an on-going problem with my HD-200 randomly losing Favorite and Hidden channel settings with the unit left On or in Standby. I don't see this on the list of 1.04 fixes from Zenith. Is anyone else having this problem? It's highly annoying, and perhaps my unit is defective.

Tom
post #219 of 234 Old 04-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The DTV1080 does this and I can hardly wait to replace it because of this. I can't stand when they add channels in to my guide or clear my list all together. After waiting six months for DirecTV to send 2.11 I finally called Zenith to get a replacement. If this doesn't solve the slow tuning and causes other problems this box is going on Ebay.(I have no other problems outside of the slow tuning and DirecTV adding channels and clearing my list). So if the new one is worst I will be complaining to them.

The only thing that stops me is that this is still the best box available(or the HD200 or 520)which are pretty much the same.

It's hard to believe that not one company can put out a decent box. I mean if you go to buy a Receiver you don't have problems like this. Of all the equipment we have in our racks, think about it.

If you buy a VCR they work fine no problems especially if you buy a decent one. I have a JVC 3000 that works fine.

If you buy a receiver, diddo. I have a Denon 5800 that works flawlessly.

If you buy a Tivo, Replay, or UTV now they work fine. It took them a while but they are fine now. And these things do allot.

LaserDiscs worked good from the start.

DVD players for the most part work fine. I have a Entre and 5900 and it works great. Again this does allot. If you have a regular player they work fine.(minus chromabugs which the common person doesn't see)

But when you buy a Satelite box you can't get a overall high end model with out problems. The low end ones work fine, but the top of the line stuff doesn't.

First, not one company makes one that does everything we as consumers want. And then the software on all the models is flaw in one way or another. They either don't put out s-video at the same time, the software is flawed, they crash, reboot, add channels, audio dropouts, etc.

These are problem that the regular consumer sees also. Not the stuff we see like chroma bugs.
post #220 of 234 Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
DOBE: Yes it appears we are were automatically updated at the same time. It does indeed appear to have fixed the DD 5.1 audio drop out problem. I was experiencing the quirky remote problem which seems also to be fixed. I agree that it does seem a little less sensitive to the remote but I am not having a big problem with that. Before it acted like the remote gave multiple commands when only one was entered (like the switch had bounce). It was annoying such as it would jump twice when I only hit the key once. Overall I am very pleased now with teh unit.

Carbo: such is the plight of early adopters.
post #221 of 234 Old 04-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Yes it is.

But the fact that no company wants to give us a box that can output standard video at the same time as HD and no firewire to record. Is because they don't want to, not because we are early adopters.
post #222 of 234 Old 04-05-2003, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But the fact that no company wants to give us a box that can output standard video at the same time as HD and no firewire to record. Is because they don't want to, not because we are early adopters.
Not quite true...the Samsung SIR-TS160 HD DirecTV receiver has S-Video/composite output simultaneous with HD viewing, and the SIR-TS165 has firewire.
post #223 of 234 Old 04-06-2003, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbo
It's hard to believe that not one company can put out a decent box. I mean if you go to buy a Receiver you don't have problems like this. Of all the equipment we have in our racks, think about it.
Carbo,

There was quite a bit of discussion on this and other forums last year about audio dropouts with certain brands of receivers. The dropouts occurred on the DD track of some DVD's and some DD HBO movies. I experienced the problem first hand with my Onkyo 898 receiver which I had just purchased in Dec 2001.

Onkyo EVENTUALLY came out with a fix that required one to send their receiver to an anthorized service center for repair, but I still had to put up with this most annoying problem for several months.

So it's not just these boxes that have their problems.

To me this issue ultimately comes down to three realities:
1. Audio and video technologies are significantly more complex than they were even 10-15 years ago.

2. Much of the magic that we enjoy today is implemented via software. I've been in the computer business for 30 years and one thing that has never changed is the difficulty (impossibility?) in producing a significant piece of software that is bug-free right out of the chute. Real-world testing inevitably reveals problems.

3. The pace at which new products are being brought to market makes reality #2 even more problematic.

My $.02 worth.
post #224 of 234 Old 04-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

True,

But I think we all agree that has no one has given us a DirecTV box that does everything we want. That would be something like the Samsung 160 and 165 combined.
post #225 of 234 Old 04-07-2003, 09:29 AM

I see that others have already posted their findings on the latest firmware upgrade to the HD200, but I would like to add my name to those that can confirm - the audio dropouts are GONE! (at least with my B&K Ref 50.....) I have not noticed any other changes.

That's not a bug, it's a feature!
post #226 of 234 Old 04-07-2003, 09:32 AM

This is actually the list of changes for the Zenith unit, but I would expect it to be applicable to the Sony HD200 as well.

softwarever-1-04-00_hd-sat520.pdf 129.7666015625k . file

That's not a bug, it's a feature!
post #227 of 234 Old 04-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Sigh... Looks like the 1.04 update did NOT cure the audio dropout problem on my HD-200 :( I had rampant dropouts on OTA Fox tonight (DD 2.0) during 24. They were severe enough that I had to switch the receiver back to PCM output. Last night I also had frequent dropouts on HDNet during a program with a DD 5.1 signal. Guess I'll be calling Sony tomorrow. Anyone else still having the dropout problem? Might I have a defective receiver? I am using a Theta Casablanca 2 pre/pro. The digital lock LED never goes out or flickers during a dropout, indicating that the CB2 is not losing digital lock on the signal. Very frustrating! At least the CB2 has the great sounding Circle Surround format for when I put the HD-200 into PCM output mode.

Tom
post #228 of 234 Old 04-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

I am still experiencing audio dropouts after the upgrade. The frequency has been reduced but they have not been eliminated.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #229 of 234 Old 05-15-2003, 05:33 PM

I too am having digital audio drop outs with the HD200. I am optically feeding into a Dennon audio processor.:(

Problem seems to be most prevalent on HDnet.

Thanks,

My System:
Sony SAT-A65A
Sony SAT-HD200
Sony SAT-T60
Sony XBR
Denon AVR3801
Toshiba SD-6200
Samsung LCD Panel
post #230 of 234 Old 05-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maynardco
I too am having digital audio drop outs with the HD200. I am optically feeding into a Dennon audio processor.:(

I am also using optical cables feeding a Denon AVR2801. I wonder if there is a connection.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #231 of 234 Old 05-15-2003, 05:42 PM

Maybe...my receiver is a Denon AVR-3801.

Thanks,

My System:
Sony SAT-A65A
Sony SAT-HD200
Sony SAT-T60
Sony XBR
Denon AVR3801
Toshiba SD-6200
Samsung LCD Panel
post #232 of 234 Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM

Thanks,

My System:
Sony SAT-A65A
Sony SAT-HD200
Sony SAT-T60
Sony XBR
Denon AVR3801
Toshiba SD-6200
Samsung LCD Panel
post #233 of 234 Old 05-16-2003, 10:03 AM

I discovered something strange with the HD200. I'm using a Silver Sensor antenna located on top of the receiver.

My wife was lighting some candles with a $5 lighter (the kind where you click the trigger, and a gas flame comes out the end). Every time she clicked the trigger, I got a 1/2 second audio dropout on the HD200.
post #234 of 234 Old 05-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSmith
I discovered something strange with the HD200. I'm using a Silver Sensor antenna located on top of the receiver.

My wife was lighting some candles with a $5 lighter (the kind where you click the trigger, and a gas flame comes out the end). Every time she clicked the trigger, I got a 1/2 second audio dropout on the HD200.
Actually, this is normal. That type of lighter uses an electrical spark to ignite the gas. Electrical sparks create RF noise. Because your antenna is indoors, it picks up that RF noise quite well.

IÂm living in my own private Idaho. Underground like a wild potato.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page