Troubleshooting HD to SD Switching Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Troubleshooting HD to SD Switching Issue

Hi everyone. I have a persistent issue where my picture drops whenever I switch from watching an HD channel to a SD channel or vice versa.

Here's my setup today:

Xfinity RNG200N HD Dual Tuner DVR connected via HDMI to
Pioneer VSX 920 Receiver connected via HDMI to
Samsung LN46C630K1F LCD HDTV

There's a Xbox One and Wii connected via HDMI and Component Video respectively, but no issues with those inputs. No audio cables involved, using HDMI for audio across the board.

Here's what happens. If I'm watching a HD cable channel and I switch to a SD channel 8 times out of 10 the SD picture will never come in and it will be replaced with a harsh grey static screen. The audio comes in fine. The TV does not display the "no signal" error. I can almost always resolve the problem by switching the input on the receiver to another input for a few second and then switching back to the cable input and the SD channel will come in fine.

When I switch from watching a SD channel to an HD channel the problem is a little different. 3 times out of 10 the HD channel's picture will come in heavily pixelated. Again the sound works fine. This problem is also resolved by switching from one input to another and back.

Anyone help me troubleshoot this? I don't know if this is an issue with the Pioneer receiver, maybe one of the HDMI inputs or firmware is outdated? Maybe something about the upscaler in the receiver is bad or failing? Could it be a compatibility issue with the Pioneer receiver and the Samsung TV? Could an HDMI cable be bad? Could there be an HDMI version matching problem? Is this just a crappy Xfinity box? I'm stumped.

I've reconnected the system a few times and have swapped out HDMI cables so I don't think it's a damaged or defective cable. Though some of the cables are from the same batch so it doesn't rule out some weird compatibility issue.

My next step is eliminating the receiver from the equation and seeing if I can reproduce the issue. I'm betting the issue will go away, but I'm not ready to just scrap the receiver and HDMI cables at that point so any extra trouble shooting steps would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Set the RNG200 and/or the Pioneer to a fixed video output resolution of 1080i "only".
post #3 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Set the RNG200 and/or the Pioneer to a fixed video output resolution of 1080i "only".
Can't find a setting in the cable box menu to control output resolution. I changed the setting on the Pioneer and so far it seems to have helped. It went grey static for a second and then corrected itself the first time, and now it switches without issue.

Also, why 1080i instead of 1080p? I chose 1080p and it's working.

I also noted that the Video Conversion setting is turned off on the Pioneer, so I'm guessing that means there's no up-conversion happening. My SD channels come in pretty clear but have a thick black box around the picture so I'm only using about 50% of the screen.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1976 View Post
Can't find a setting in the cable box menu to control output resolution.
Try this:
http://por-chr.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf...etup_Guide.pdf

You may need to set to 4:3 override setting to "off" to stop the "postage stamp" effect with most SD (4:3) programming.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Try this:
http://por-chr.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf...etup_Guide.pdf

You may need to set to 4:3 override setting to "off" to stop the "postage stamp" effect with most SD (4:3) programming.
Those steps don't seem to work. Can't get a setup wizard to show on my screen. Any way to confirm which box type this guide refers to?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM

post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's the right one. Made a couple changes.

1. I set the audio to pass-through.
2. I changed HDMI/YPbPr Output setting to Native
3. I left the default supported Native modes alone, this has everything checked except 480i. I think this was set automatically based on the receivers reported supported formats (if I understand the manual).
4. 4:3 override is set to Off.

With these settings I no longer see the any issues when switching from HD to SD which is great. All my SD channels are still having the postage stamp effect. Not sure what I can do to fix that, but the picture quality on SD when postage stamped is pretty decent (upconverted by the set top box?)
post #8 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM

Call Comcast?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Call Comcast?
Somebody is a joker.....
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Not at all trying to be "funny". You've been provided assistance and links performed by using Google.
This was a free service.

If you have questions regarding setup, picture quality or unhappy with the service, call Comcast. That's why you pay them each month.

Sorry, but I only tried to help. There's only so much I can do from my location. Good luck.

EDIT:

Seems like you've experienced a similar issue a few years ago.
Pioneer PDP-4340 Issue Switching from HD to SD after upgrading to HDMI

Last edited by Ratman; 04-21-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not at all trying to be "funny". You've been provided assistance and links performed by using Google.
This was a free service.

If you have questions regarding setup, picture quality or unhappy with the service, call Comcast. That's why you pay them each month.

Sorry, but I only tried to help. There's only so much I can do from my location. Good luck.
Hope it didn't sound like I was being critical. Just making fun of Comcast's legendarily bad track record for customer support. Definitely wouldn't expect them to be any use in troubleshooting this, they'd schedule a service call, charge me $100 for the privilege, swap out my box (or blame the receiver/TV) and I'd be back where I started.

You've been very helpful.

Quote:
EDIT:

Seems like you've experienced a similar issue a few years ago.
Pioneer PDP-4340 Issue Switching from HD to SD after upgrading to HDMI
Yup. That issue was with a different TV and cable box setup. I think the biggest fix was switching off the "Auto" setting on the receivers HDMI output and forcing it to always use 1080p. Probably bad auto-detect functionality in the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
hdmi , hdtv , Pioneer , Samsung , xfinity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page