Monster HDMI Cable PROBLEM!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Monster HDMI Cable PROBLEM!!

So I have this new setup with a 75 inch samsung TV and a Marantz SR7007 receiver. Currently I have a PS4 and digital cable box hooked up to it. So originally I had a Rocketfish cable acting as the main Monitor out cable from the receiver to the TV. The cable worked fine and it connected nicely on both ends. I was at Best Buy and wanted to invest in a little better cable to replace the Rocketfish so I bought an 80 dollar Monster UltraHD 9 foot cable. Brought it home, went to connect it and noticed that it had a very hard time going into both the port on the receiver as well as the port on the TV. The Rocketfish cable made a nice "click" when plugging it in both ends and the video/audio never had a single issue. I go to plug this new one in and you could actually hear the pins moving around. The fit was so tight that I had to use force to plug it in both ends. The connectors on both ends of this cable are obviously too big. So, with the worry of ruining one of my ports, I brought it back and replaced it with another one of the same cables cause I assumed maybe it was a bad cable for whatever reason. Brought it home and the same thing happened. I finally got it plugged in to the point where my PS4 came up on the TV screen, but when I switched the source over to the cable box it just showed the Marantz symbol on the TV screen. So the connection was just good enough to display the receiver GUI, the PS4 but NOT the cable box? So I wiggled the cable connected on the receiver end and the cable box started flickering off and on with white speckles on the screen.
Needless to say I will be returning this cable and probably just go back to my Rocketfish cable since it was working well in the first place. I guess spending more on something isn't always worth it.
I just thought I would speak my mind with this situation in case anyone else may run into this issue. Be careful when purchasing certain Monster HDMI cables because the connectors are too big for some components. If you need to use that much force to plug an HDMI cable into something (and you hear some weird "pins moving" sounds) then stop what you are doing and get another brand of cable and don't ruin your equipment!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlevj View Post
...I was at Best Buy and wanted to invest in a little better cable to replace the Rocketfish so I bought an 80 dollar Monster UltraHD 9 foot cable...
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

All you need. If length required is >20' I prefer the RedMere cables, otherwise any of their least expensive high-speed cables will produce the best picture you can achieve, all things being equal on the two ends.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Monster and Rocketfish cables are not worth they price they ask for. They are good cables but you won't get any better performance out of them than you will any certified high speed HDMI cable made by a reputable mfr. It's all marketing hype. As was mentioned, if your cable run is greater than 25' you may need a high speed cable with a thicker gauge wire or an active cable like one with Redmere technology. 25' is the current maximum length that an HDMI cable can be certified for. Certification is basically your guarantee that the cable will meet all HDMI 1.4/2.0 specs for the length of cable you purchased. With or without ethernet means nothing because there aren't any commercial devices that take advantage of the ethernet capability of the cable. Some cables are even advertised as having 18Gbps bandwidth. That's nice if the cable is certified for that bandwidth but there aren't any devices yet, or very few, that can handle that bandwidth.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Why don't you take it up with Monster directly? Most people here are smart enough not to waste money on their overpriced stuff.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 PM

^^^^ be nice. The OP is a newbie and he's just trying to learn.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some people have no class at all
post #7 of 11 Old 07-24-2015, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlevj View Post
Be careful when purchasing certain Monster HDMI cables because the connectors are too big for some components. If you need to use that much force to plug an HDMI cable into something (and you hear some weird "pins moving" sounds) then stop what you are doing and get another brand of cable and don't ruin your equipment!!
I wouldn't buy anything from Monster...nothing but overpriced snake oil...unfortunately they are proof that BS marketing does work!
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

All you need. If length required is >20' I prefer the RedMere cables, otherwise any of their least expensive high-speed cables will produce the best picture you can achieve, all things being equal on the two ends.
I would also recommend Monoprice as well!
I purchased some high quality banana plugs from them.

-Willie
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i bought two audio quest cinnamon hdmi cables from best buy and $69 each, i bought a new 4k tv and i also fell for the marketing hype haha they work the same as a 6 dollar one i bought from amazon
post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 AM

AudioQuest is just like Monster. They do make good cables but their price is not justifiable. All of the extra "quality" they add to their cables doesn't make the audio/video any better. If it meets HDMI specs, you can't do any better than that.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 157
The only thing worth paying for is decent mechanical construction of the connector and decent build quality. For long, non-active, cables then the electrical performance of the cable is also a factor, but cost is no guarantee of quality in this regard...

One of the computer magazines in the UK did an objective test this month. Took uncompressed video frames via a playback application, via the HDMI cable under test and into a capture application. Compared the source frames with the captured frames and they were bit-for-bit identical whichever cable was used. The very cheap cables performed identically - bit-for-bit - to the very expensive cables. There was one bit error in the entire test process...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page