Best RG6 cable - Belden 3GHZ HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2003, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering what's the best to run for HDTV reception using RG6? At first, I was going to go with Belden RG6 "quad shield swept 2200Mhz" cable. But then I saw Belden has and recommends their NEW RG6 "duel shield 3GHZ swept" cable for HDTV installs.

Can I use the 2200 quad shield OK with my install without any loss of quality for connecting to my DSS and outdoor HDTV antenna, or do I need the new cable? Most people I talked with didn't even know they made the new 3GHZ cable and said the 2200 quad was excellent to use for any install. Also, there is a BIG price difference between the two as well, nearly 3 times.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2003, 03:07 PM

Don't waste your money. I had low end RG-6 installed to my antenna in the attic with one barrel connection (110' run). I just replaced it with RG-11 heavy shielded Belden cable (don't remember the specifics on the ratings). NO signal improvement at all.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2003, 04:12 PM

Home Depot, 100 feet of Carol RG6/U, $15. Pack of 10 RG6 crimp ends $4. Coax Cable stripper tool $5. Cable Crimper tool $15.
VERY EASY to make your own custom cables. I did from my antenna, all the way to the HD receiver, though the walls, basement. Used 6 crimps total. # total cables made. Absolutely perfect picture quality.
More expensive cable won't make any noticeable picture difference. Same for component cables. I use $7 Wal-Mart RCA A/V connectors, and have no problems.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2003, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just get RG6 Quad..or RG11..you will do fine..Do not spend the extra money. The main thing in installation is the antenna.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2003, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally posted by HTNutKentH
. But then I saw Belden has and recommends their NEW RG6 "duel shield 3GHZ swept" cable for HDTV installs.

Thanks.
I think you are confusing cables here. The "new" cable sounds like part # 1694 or 1695. This is 3ghz cable intended to carry digital baseband HDTV as would be found in a studio. This is not the same digital signal as a DBS dish or antenna supplies.

Just use plain old RG6 and you should be fine.

Some people here including me do use 1694 for long analog component runs such as up to the projector. It's a really good cable for that.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page