post #181 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by AJF
I'm so glad that I went with Mitsubishi. While some are arguing the benefits of the PM, those with other brands don't even have the choice! We early adopters usually get burned for the pleasure of being the first to buy these new products. I for one commend Mitsu for not simply abandoning us and thank those on this thread good enough to post their experience AND opinions on the PM.
Well said.:)

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
good times!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone with the PM be a little more specific about the issue of red push. When I first got my 46807 I really hated the picture. Red push was >25%. The attenuator made all the difference. Red push is eliminated and the picture is great. I haven't been able to get the I2c fix done.

Exactly how much red push remains? Will the PM be a big step back in picuture quality?
post #183 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by occammd
My question is, if I feed a 480i DVD source to the mits, what type of de-interlacing is done? would i be better off getting the RP-82 with the DCDI chip in it, or is the mits processing comparable?
does the promise module change this, or is it just HDTV?
IMO you will always get a better picture with a good progressive DVD player vs. an interlaced player using the Mits line doubler. Also good progressive players are getting so cheap (<$200) that there is only a small preminum over an interlaced player. The PM does nothing negative or positive with regard to progressive vs. interlaced DVD playback.

Jay
post #184 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

The PM IMO is a step up in PQ. The red push is still there but at a minimum.

Kipp
good times!

post #185 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem is getting a test pattern on a set with a promise module both from the internal tuner (which would require a broadcast pattern or a tape of one and Digital Video Essentials is not out) and an external source (HDTV pattern generator) to evaluate it. If there is someone in the Dallas area with a PM, I'd love to come by and check it out.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #186 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Steve,
if you are gonna be out here in Chicago, you are more than welcome to swing by and check it out.

Kipp
good times!

post #187 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM

"The PM IMO is a step up in PQ. The red push is still there but at a minimum"

A step up from the mits factory set picture or a step up from a properly calibrated picture?
post #188 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 12:08 PM

Finally PM installed this Saturday on my 73907.

Dennis
post #189 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones

2) Provided network-ability to my existing set.

4) Upgrade in ergonomics, stepped up to NetCommand from regular user menu. This really made using my set much more simple.

Can you explain these 2. I have seen the newer mitsubishi at showrooms with Netcommand. Are telling me that if I get the PM on my 46805, I will get netcommand?
post #190 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 02:31 PM
wiz

Kipp, Im about 1 and1/2 hours south of you. Do you know of any Mits service people who do calibrations? Maybe someone in the Kankakee area that could do the PM install and calibrate the same time. I know the Shoppe in Kankakee used to be a Mits dealership.
post #191 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

wiz, not sure where you are but Ken Whitcomb, from Indy, does a lot of work in Chicago. He ISF'd one of my sets about 45 minutes south of Chicago last summer. Did an excellent job. He's got some $15k color analyzer thats supposed to be a lot more accurate than the suction cup devices. You can find his name/number on the ISF web site.
post #192 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 03:02 PM
wiz

what is the ISF web address?
post #193 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wiz,

ISF page here

Blue

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #194 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by bmel
"The PM IMO is a step up in PQ. The red push is still there but at a minimum"

A step up from the mits factory set picture or a step up from a properly calibrated picture?
From properly calibrated picture.

Kipp
good times!

post #195 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuch
Finally PM installed this Saturday on my 73907.
Let us know how things go.

Kipp
good times!

post #196 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by mbze430
Can you explain these 2. I have seen the newer mitsubishi at showrooms with Netcommand. Are telling me that if I get the PM on my 46805, I will get netcommand?
Buy adding the 1394 firewire to the set, you are adding the interface for building a network of devices.

Yes, you get NetCommand. The only differences between the integrated sets and the PM NetCommand is one, you only get digital interface control with the PM NC where you get analog IR control and digital control with the integrated sets. No big deal. I would have not used the IR transmitters anyway. The list of analog devices that NC can control is not very long even though I have some of those analog devices such as the Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player. Second, the PM NC is version 2.0. I believe the integrated sets have an earlier version.

Kipp
good times!

post #197 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by wiz
Kipp, Im about 1 and1/2 hours south of you. Do you know of any Mits service people who do calibrations? Maybe someone in the Kankakee area that could do the PM install and calibrate the same time. I know the Shoppe in Kankakee used to be a Mits dealership.
Sorry, I have none to suggest. I do all of my own work on my sets.

Kipp
good times!

post #198 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean the red push is less noticeble while using the built in tuner on the PM? My 55807 had a nasty red push And the built in tuner had a pretty good chroma delay. The chroma delay made the red push look worse. Vertical striping on bright reds, purples & yellows. I thought it was caused by the red push until I had my set ISF'd. The red push was correctable but the chroma delay wasn't. Perhaps the tuner in the PM doesn't suffer this chroma delay hence making the red push seem less severe. Just a thought.
post #199 of 1228 Old 01-30-2003, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

The 55807 is an HDTV upgradable right? What tuner are you using?

Kipp
good times!

post #200 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume the 55807 is upgradable as I was told my older 65905 was.

Quote:
What tuner are you using?
I was refering to the builting in NTSC ota/cable tuner in the set. It has a nasty chroma delay that my ISF guy couldn't fix. I had assumed it was part of the red push problem, it definately made it look worse.
post #201 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, the red push is less with the PM on the built in tuner as well as the component input on the PM. I would not worry too much about the NTSC tuner on your set as it remains a separate entity from the PM after the install.

Kipp
good times!

post #202 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 12:30 PM

Finally received the Promise Module today UPS. Now waiting for PC RICHARD technicians to install unit.

It has been a long wait. (ws65907 4/2001)

Mike
post #203 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mike,
have they given you an install date?

Kipp
good times!

post #204 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 01:33 PM
Hot
Advanced Member

I was told by Mitsubishi that my PM has shipped. Now to see when I get it?

Mike aka Hot
post #205 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mike,
they send it 2nd day air.

Kipp
good times!

post #206 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 01:40 PM

No install date yet. Called PC Richard but the service manager handling all PM installs has been out the last 2 days. I'm going to call again tomorrow. When I spoke to him earlier this week (prior to receiving the module) he stated that they had already done 2 installs.

I started reading the manual and so far things look interesting.

Mike
post #207 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Now I see.
If you want to time shift or record Hi-Def, the PM is a must have.
Too bad Mits can't make a package of the recorder and the PM.
post #208 of 1228 Old 01-31-2003, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just pick up the D-VHS unit after ordering the PM.

Kipp
good times!

post #209 of 1228 Old 02-01-2003, 04:17 PM

Promise Module is installed. Couple questions. I do not have any local digital channels yet. I get my HD through my Direct TV Hughes E86 box Showtime, HBO. Hdnet. I also have my analog cable service. Which do I connect to the ant dtv input on the PM cable or E86 box? Also the Monitor out inputs what is everyone using these inputs for? THANKS

Dennis
post #210 of 1228 Old 02-01-2003, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can connect both. Connect the component outs of the E86 to the component in on the PM and the cable to either sets of inputs on your set. You many want to try connecting your cable to the antenna in on the PM and do a few scans to see if you can pick up any HD channels off digital cable if it is available in your area.

Kipp
good times!

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page