Joining 2 Winegard Flatwaves worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By jvvh5897
  • 1 Post By Chancellor Todd
  • 1 Post By bac522

Old 10-06-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Joining 2 Winegard Flatwaves worth it?

I have a South-SouthWest facing Winegard Flatwave in a Window on 3rd floor at 27560. It's backed by a BDA-S1 motorola drop amp. If I got a joiner, would it be worth adding a second antenna a foot away? The problem is that I get frame drop but pick up all channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Short answer is no.

Longer answer: you are trying to "stack" antennas--that takes a bit of work and is not really broadband.

Better to just build a better antenna. Lots of DIY.
DrDon and thebeeguy like this.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
Short answer is no.

Longer answer: you are trying to "stack" antennas--that takes a bit of work and is not really broadband.

Better to just build a better antenna. Lots of DIY.
What would a better antenna be for an apartment? Its in the living room window out of sight and mind..
Old 10-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Antennas Direct's Clearstream 2 might be worth a try. I just did a comparison between that and the Mohu leaf (the latter in both the amplified and non versions, and very similar to your Winegard), and the Clearstream was the winner for me. I am in an apartment myself and the Clearstream sits in my window sill, but it may prove too bulky for you if you had taped the Winegard to your window. However, I found mine worked just as well without the VHF attachment, and your mileage may vary, but removing it does take away from the bulk. The Clearstream is also more expensive, but Best Buy has open box offerings for about half the price.
malarivi likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarivi View Post
What would a better antenna be for an apartment? Its in the living room window out of sight and mind..
TVFool report would be good for start...simple rabbit ears might just do the job. Also newer windows with Low-E ratings can actually attenuate signals because of the metallic flakes used in the making of the window...so there are times when using a window actually doesn't help a signal.
malarivi likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 141
There is a Clearstream Eclipse thin antenna version with amp that can be placed on the window or hung on the wall. Sold at Best Buy and maybe some Walmarts. Also perhaps Clearstream Micron. But Terk flat panel sold at Walmart for $49 also works well and a bit better on VHF.

But a DB2 or DB4 make excellent indoor antennas, as well as the regular Clearstream antennas, and add an amp if needed. But a bit bulkier of course.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Modeling indicates that W-G Flatwave Antenna only provides UHF Raw Gain of about 3.0 to 4.5 dBi with good SWR and Hi-VHF Raw Gain of about 2.5 to 2.8 dBi with Excessive SWR. That's about the SAME as VHF-Rabbit-Ears with a UHF-Circular-Loop....which is to say....not much of an Indoor Antenna.....

There are several simple DIY Projects that provide more than 6 dBi of Raw Gain (more than two Combined Flatwaves).

The BEST alternatives would be the DIY H2 Optimized 2-Bay Bowtie (7.3 to 10.3 dBi) or DIY RLH2 Optimized 2-Bay Bowtie with Hi-VHF Resonator Loop to improve UHF and esp. Hi-VHF performance [if THAT is what you NEED], either of which could be implemented as either Copper Wires or metallized Tape on Clear Plastic mounted in the Window:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mult...tienoreflector
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...lh212x10norefl

It could look similar to the fol. (way too small) WallTenna, except significantly WIDER:
http://www.walltenna.com
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mult...naenhancements
BTW: Many other TOO SMALL Antennas (e.g. Mohu Leaf and many other FLAT Antennas) suffer from a similar overall Loss of Raw Gain....esp. on the lower channels......

Of course, adding a Reflector will add another 3 dB of Raw Gain...if that is what you need and meets the WAF....

Amps can be difficult to get right in an Indoor location....strong local TV and FM signals are likely to OVERLOAD the Amp....and the reduction in Noise Figure (i.e. improvement in Sensitivity) is usually fairly small due to minimal Coax Length and perhaps NO RF Splitter Loss to overcome. It would help to know how many drops you need to feed.....and to see your TVFool Report.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 10-06-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement