DISH Installation Soon - Cabling Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-29-2001, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a DISH system on order which will be professionally installed and I have a couple of questions I'd like to try and answer beforehand. At $59 per extra dish and receiver plus any extra time spent on site I'd like to make this process as effortless as possible.

I will be installing 3 receivers total. Two will be at the same location in the family room (6000 & DP501) and one in the bedroom (3900). I have existing RG6/U cable wiring with home runs from each location to a 4-way splitter in the basement. (no run over 60') Assuming the SW64 switch can be mounted where the current splitter is, can I simply swap the wires over from the splitter to the switch for distribution?

Where my TV is located in the living room there is a single wall jack for the existing CATV. Since I will have 2 receivers at this location can I split the signal in the room before going to each receiver? They will be virtually next to each other in the rack and about 3' from the wall jack so distance really isn't an issue. If it is possible is there a downside?

I hope I've explained my situation well enough. If anyone could comment or make any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-30-2001, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chs4:
I currently have a DISH system on order which will be professionally installed and I have a couple of questions I'd like to try and answer beforehand. At $59 per extra dish and receiver plus any extra time spent on site I'd like to make this process as effortless as possible.
</font>
Unless you have a really good installer (rare), you can probably do a better job yourself. It's really not that hard. It's mostly a matter of getting your hands on the same parts as the installers (weatherproof F connectors, cable ties, thru-wall bushings, etc) to do a neat installation.

From what you've described, you should be able to reuse the cabling that's already there, by placing the SW64 where the splitter is now.

However, you can't split a DBS signal to two receivers. The receivers send a pulse train to the switch to select the satellite, and it uses a DC voltage on the cable to select vertical or horizontal polarization of the LNB. In your case the LNBs are permanently polarized, so the voltage level tells the switch which half of the LNB the receiver wants.

-Jonathan
post #3 of 3 Old 03-30-2001, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Phone outlets nearby?
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page