Will a Samsung DTB-H260F work well with Hisense H8C ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bwam
  • 1 Post By bwam

post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Question Will a Samsung DTB-H260F work well with Hisense H8C ?

HISENSE THREAD: 2016 Hisense H8C, H5C, H4C and H3C Entry Level series

I have a new unopened Samsung Samsung DTB-H260F, a digital HDTV receiver. Was going to sell it but the Hisense 4k televisions have a problem with direct channel access. Sure, one can use the channel up and down rocker of the Hisense remote (a nuisance), but rarely will direct keypad entry work.

I use only OTA, and get over 100 digital channels.

Will this Samsung HDTV receiver:

1. interface properly with the Hisense,

2. give direct entry channel access via the included handheld remote, and

3. give at least as good PQ as the Hisense internal tuner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
HISENSE THREAD: 2016 Hisense H8C, H5C, H4C and H3C Entry Level series

I have a new unopened Samsung Samsung DTB-H260F, a digital HDTV receiver. Was going to sell it but the Hisense 4k televisions have a problem with direct channel access. Sure, one can use the channel up and down rocker of the Hisense remote (a nuisance), but rarely will direct keypad entry work.

I use only OTA, and get over 100 digital channels.

Will this Samsung HDTV receiver:

1. interface properly with the Hisense,

2. give direct entry channel access via the included handheld remote, and

3. give at least as good PQ as the Hisense internal tuner?
I have the Samsung DTB-H260F connected to my Olevia HD and it works fine (as well as all my other TVs - LG and Samsung). I connect it to the TV via HDMI but there are several other connect options. Does your Hisense have HDMI input? I assume it does....

The picture quality on my Olevia from the Samsung DTB-H260F is as good as that of my internal tuners.

Does the Hisense upscale less than 4K resolution inputs?

"2. give direct entry channel access via the included handheld remote" - do you mean the Samsung DTB-H260F remote? You can key in the channel number and it will jump directly to that channel. As well you can define a favorites list to go directly to the handful of channels you prefer and use most often.

The DTB-H260F will also allow you to mask out those channels you don't wish to see after the initial scan. Then you can whittle down those 100 channels...

The DTB-H260F is a decade old technology so your Hisense may have a better tuner than the Samsung one in the DTB-H260F (though it is pretty good).

The DTB-H260F also makes use of the TV guide sent OTA by the stations (as limited as it is). Most TVs these days don't use the transmitted station info. Pressing the "Info" or "Guide" key gives you current channel and program data.
PeninsulaMark likes this.

Last edited by bwam; 06-21-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwam View Post
I have the Samsung DTB-H260F connected to my Olevia HD and it works fine (as well as all my other TVs - LG and Samsung). I connect it to the TV via HDMI but there are several other connect options. Does your Hisense have HDMI input? I assume it does....

The picture quality on my Olevia from the Samsung DTB-H260F is as good as that of my internal tuners.

Does the Hisense upscale less than 4K resolution inputs?

"2. give direct entry channel access via the included handheld remote" - do you mean the Samsung DTB-H260F remote? You can key in the channel number and it will jump directly to that channel. As well you can define a favorites list to go directly to the handful of channels you prefer and use most often.

The DTB-H260F will also allow you to mask out those channels you don't wish to see after the initial scan. Then you can whittle down those 100 channels...

The DTB-H260F is a decade old technology so your Hisense may have a better tuner than the Samsung one in the DTB-H260F (though it is pretty good).

The DTB-H260F also makes use of the TV guide sent OTA by the stations (as limited as it is). Most TVs these days don't use the transmitted station info. Pressing the "Info" or "Guide" key gives you current channel and program data.

Thank you so much. Yes, the Hisense upscales. Haven't yet compared its upscaling compared to my Samsung HU8550 sets.

With my prior Sharp TV, the OTA coax went into a Panasonic DVD recorder, the DMR-EZ28.

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/dmr-ez28/specs

I could continue using the DVDR as a tuner (HDMI connection) and forget the Samsung. If I use the Samsung tuner, how best to also connect the DMR-EZ28 ?

Would the DMR-EZ28 be a better tuner/choice than the DTB-H260F?

post #4 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 245
While the EZ-28 may upscale to 1080i/p(and does a very good job) it still starts out internally at 480i, the Samsung is a true HD device.
I'd run HDMI from the Samsung to one of the HDMI inputs on the Hisense and also HDMI from the Panasonic to another HDMI input on the Hisense.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
While the EZ-28 may upscale to 1080i/p(and does a very good job) it still starts out internally at 480i, the Samsung is a true HD device.
I'd run HDMI from the Samsung to one of the HDMI inputs on the Hisense and also HDMI from the Panasonic to another HDMI input on the Hisense.

Thank you so much.

BUT will the Panasonic make a DVD from only the HDMI connection to the Hisense TV? I have only recorded with the Panasonic from OTA coax in source.

Perhaps it's better to use a splitter from the antenna and have the Panasonic run from the coax. That way one can record one channel while watching another. Yes ? No ?

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 06-21-2016 at 05:00 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much.

BUT will the Panasonic make a DVD from only the HDMI connection to the Hisense TV? I have only recorded with the Panasonic from OTA coax in source.

Perhaps it's better to use a splitter from the antenna and have the Panasonic run from the coax. That way one can record one channel while watching another. Yes ? No ?
The Panasonic will not make a DVD from only the HDMI. It needs the coax in. However you don't need to use a splitter. The Samsung has a coax out in addition to the coax in. Run the antenna coax to the Samsung. Then run another, short coax from the Samsung to the Panasonic. There is a bonus here as the Samsung has a small amplifier (LNA) inside. One antenna feed will serve both machines due to the Samsung also outputting the antenna signal relaying it to the Panasonic. I have done that myself using the Samsung as an antenna distributor to another device (a PC with a Hauppauge tuner\recorder).
PeninsulaMark likes this.

Last edited by bwam; 06-21-2016 at 07:06 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 245
^^^ agree, as long as the Samsung's RF output isn't modulated(or you can turn it off for just RF passthru) that will give you the best quality DVDs. You'd program the Panasonic to record from whatever channel you wished and use the Samsung to feed your TV for whatever channel you wanted to watch live.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
^^^ agree, as long as the Samsung's RF output isn't modulated(or you can turn it off for just RF passthru) that will give you the best quality DVDs. You'd program the Panasonic to record from whatever channel you wished and use the Samsung to feed your TV for whatever channel you wanted to watch live.
It isn't modulated. Yup this setup will give a simultaneous recording and viewing (of separate channels) capability.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-21-2016, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwam View Post
The Panasonic will not make a DVD from only the HDMI. It needs the coax in. However you don't need to use a splitter. The Samsung has a coax out in addition to the coax in. Run the antenna coax to the Samsung. Then run another, short coax from the Samsung to the Panasonic. There is a bonus here as the Samsung has a small amplifier (LNA) inside. One antenna feed will serve both machines due to the Samsung also outputting the antenna signal relaying it to the Panasonic. I have done that myself using the Samsung as an antenna distributor to another device (a PC with a Hauppauge tuner\recorder).

Excellent and helpful reply. Thank you.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-22-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Excellent and helpful reply. Thank you.
I normally keep my Samsung on when the PC connected to it is recording. Never tried recording on the PC with the Samsung off to see whether passthru works strongly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical