Mankato, MN: Antenna suggestions - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #61 of 85 Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Unless I am reading the TVFOOL charts incorrectly, which is very likely, I was getting 5., 9., and 12. channels. I didn't get any 11. There are several other channels that look like they might work at 260 degrees. Reality is, I am fine with ABC, FOX, CBS, and NBC (which is the only one that didn't work).
You should be getting NBC from K21DG

rabbitears.info says it is on the air:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...callsign=k21dg

You could call the KARE station engineer and see if they are having transmitter problems with their K21DG translator.

Main desk: (763) 546-1111
Engineering email:
tmcdonald@kare11.com
KARE Website:
http://www.kare11.com/

K21DG is about 25 dB weaker than KEYC and about 10 dB weaker than K43JE. I wonder how strong those translators that are 32 miles away really are in your attic. Do you have a TV with a signal strength indicator to make a comparison between KEYC and K21DG?
Quote:
Ok, so I got the 2nd antenna set up.
Which antenna did you get?

Exactly what device are you using to combine the two antennas?

How long are the coax runs from the antenna to the combiner, and from the combiner to the test TV?

Are you willing to make some tests to see how weak the UHF translators are?

If their signal strength is marginal, you might need some amplification for just the UHF channels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HarpNinjaAVSchannels.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1934593  
HarpNinja likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 01-31-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got the recommended from Antennas Direct. I noticed this evening I had weaker signal and loss the 12's. Overall, the signal most be about 1/3 if the bar on the channels showing on the tv is an indicator. I could probably benefit from the preamp. I have not reconnected the VHF, but I will now as I lost CBS and just have ABC and FOX in HD. I swear an hour ago it worked fine.
post #63 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 247
TVFool's "ON-LINE TV MAPS" Display can show YOUR Street and surrounding Streets with the GREEN Lines radiating out to various Transmitter Sites. You should be able to identify some LANDMARKS to aim for...or at least MEASURE which direction (re True North) YOUR Street faces and then use a Protractor to determine Pointing Angle relative to YOUR Street.

For much Higher Resolution, so you can Draw Lines between your House and the Icons, so you can "see" where it passes relative to specific CORNERS of nearby Houses using GoogleEarth. Download TVFool's "TRANSMITTER ICONS", Unzip and double click on *.kmz file to automatically install into GoogleEarth. [FMFool also had FM Transmitter Icons.] HOWEVER, I recommend DISABLING ICON Displays except for when you actually WANT to see them and be sure to Zoom into Local Area before Enabling....it's quite a drain on Display Resources when LOTS of them need to be drawn. (use Check Boxes in GoogleEarth's Left Pane).

Last edited by holl_ands; 02-01-2017 at 01:08 AM.

post #64 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

So after fiddling last night and losing the 12's, I called it a night knowing I could get CBS via reconnecting the VHF antenna. I didn't have a coax long enough and will buy one tonight.

This morning, on a whim, I scanned again, having triple checked I was aimed at 260 degrees, and I got 15 channels! No NBC though. I ended up getting all the 12. and 43. Most the channels are standard def junk I won't watch, but I did get FOX in HD - both the metro version and local versions.

I did notice the tv showed the signals as generally weak. This leads me to the thought I'd benefit, regardless, from a preamp. I currently don't have one, and I don't have an outlet near the antenna. I do have an outlet near where the cable enters from the garage attic to the house, and another in the store room where the coax attaches to the splitter for the TVs.

I plan on not touch a damn thing until after the Super Bowl, lol. Would be awful to lose FOX in HD this weekend!!!
post #65 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is not necessary to have an outlet near the antenna where the preamp is located. The power inserter for the preamp can be located down below where AC is available for the power. The coax between the preamp and the power inserter can carry the DC power UP to the preamp at the same time that it carries the signals DOWN to the TV.
HarpNinja likes this.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #66 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
It is not necessary to have an outlet near the antenna where the preamp is located. The power inserter for the preamp can be located down below where AC is available for the power. The coax between the preamp and the power inserter can carry the DC power UP to the preamp at the same time that it carries the signals DOWN to the TV.
Great to know as I can easily do that. Being that I just dropped over $100 on antennas and cables to the dismay of my wife, it will be a couple weeks until I get that sorted out.

I have an outlet right next to the splitter in the store room that will work perfectly, then.
post #67 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since the VHF signals are much stronger than the UHF signals, this will make it possible to amplify only the UHF signals:

Code:
       VHF ANT
             \             power
             UVSJ> coax> inserter> splitter> TVs
             /              | 
UHF ANT> Preamp           power 

The UVSJ must be able to pass power to the preamp for 
the UHF signals; not all UVSJs will do that.
SPACER
The Radio Shack 15-2586 and the Antennas Direct UVSJ UHF/VHF Combiner will pass power on the UHF side.
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-vhf-uhf-gold-plated-splitter-combiner

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/UHF-VHF-Antenna-Combiners.html

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 02-01-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #68 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Since the VHF signals are much stronger than the UHF signals, this will make it possible to amplify only the UHF signals:

Code:
         VHF ANT >
                  \               power
                  UVSJ > coax > inserter > splitter > TVs
                  /                | 
UHF ANT > Preamp >                power 

The UVSJ must be able to pass power to the preamp for the 
UHF signals; not all UVSJs will do that.
SPACER
The Radio Shack 15-2586 and the Antennas Direct UVSJ UHF/VHF Combiner will pass power on the UHF side.
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-vhf-uhf-gold-plated-splitter-combiner

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/UHF-VHF-Antenna-Combiners.html
You are so helpful and amazing!

The combiner I ordered was this: https://mjsales.net/products/tru-spe...ant=1198505857

I have not ordered a preamp.

I am pretty sure the VHF channels aren't 100% necessary at the moment. One of the 12. channels ends up being KEYC on the UHF if I remember correctly. I would have figured they'd all be from the Cities.
post #69 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wrong UVSJ; it passes power only on the VHF side.
Quote:
VHF-Band DC Power Passive for remote preamplifier powering
It could be used if the preamp is after the UVSJ, which would amplify UHF and VHF, but might make KEYC too strong.

As a test, you can just use the UHF antenna with the preamp.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #70 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you left the MJ Sales UVSJ in there for the UHF test, it would act as an FM filter.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #71 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

UHF ANT> UVSJ> Preamp> coax> power inserter> splitter> TVs

Use the UHF and Line ports

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 02-01-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #72 of 85 Old 02-01-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Which preamps are you considering?

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #73 of 85 Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Which preamps are you considering?
I just checked out one mentioned here, otherwise, nothing in particular. It appears that I may not need to keep the VHF antenna in line as I am getting KEYC through the 12. channels. I swear I am pretty ok with most tech, but this topic is totally foreign to me. Of course, I got the wrong connector, lol.
post #74 of 85 Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think you are doing fine.

We all start at the beginning when learning something new.

Your reception problem isn't an easy one to solve, so it requires some trial-and-error experimentation which you seem to be willing and able to do.

I also thought you would need KEYC.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #75 of 85 Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
I just checked out one mentioned here, otherwise, nothing in particular. It appears that I may not need to keep the VHF antenna in line as I am getting KEYC through the 12. channels. I swear I am pretty ok with most tech, but this topic is totally foreign to me. Of course, I got the wrong connector, lol.
Just a quick suggestion on getting and trying a preamp quickly. You can get the RCA antenna preamp at Menards for around $25 and return it if it gives you problems with VHF. I can't speak to it's resistance to overload on strong VHF signals or FM but I have a college 100W FM station less than 1/2 a mile away and it does OK with that. My parents once lived in Vernon Center and used the Godahl translators back in the analog days. I am sure the experts on here will get you going.
HarpNinja likes this.
post #76 of 85 Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You can pick up either the RCA from Menards or the Winegard from Home Depot. You should do well enough in your situation with either. Keep your receipt, just in case.
post #77 of 85 Old 02-04-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I installed this in the basement for cable....http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1422401158

It worked perfectly, but in doing so, my upstair signals weekend and I lost several channels. I am guessing it has to do with the fact it is electronic? I get way more channels via this box than the TV tuners upstairs. I am scrambling to fix this for the SuperBowl so we have it on two TVs.

Any help?
post #78 of 85 Old 02-04-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am guessing it has to do with the fact it is electronic?
I guessing that it has to do with signals that are too weak.

Did you add a splitter that you didn't have before for the Mediasonic ?

What exactly is connected to what, and how long are the coax runs?

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 02-04-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #79 of 85 Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I guessing that it has to do with signals that are too weak.

Did you add a splitter that you didn't have before for the Mediasonic ?

What exactly is connected to what, and how long are the coax runs?
The initial run from the antenna to the house is 100'. I could cut it and make it shorter now that I know it works. It then went to a 3way passive splitter. Just now, I picked up both versions of the RCA amplifiers from Menards. One is a small black box with one output. The other is an active 4way splitter with 10dB of gain. That is the one I just plugged into test. It made matters worst.

I did, then plug the other RCA preamp into the coax and then use the passive 3 way splitter. This worked great - 50 channels to three tvs with not issues (yet, lol). Fox is only 720p for the Superbowl, I think, but picture looks good so far - and none of the pixelation I've had from our previous cable provider.
post #80 of 85 Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sounds like the signals were too weak. The preamp should be closer to the antenna; 100 ft of coax causes a 6 dB loss.

Please tell me the model numbers of the two amps, and which one worked for you.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 02-05-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #81 of 85 Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

So....I haven't used OTA much in the basement where the projector is. I have next to no use for it other than during football season. I did cut and shorten the wire from the antenna into the house a couple months ago and OTA worked just as before on two of the TVs.

It seemed to still work in the basement, I watched some football on FOX yesterday, but when I went to watch NBC last night, it said "No Signal".

I checked the other two tvs and 11.4 worked just great. I then did a channel search in the basement and found that I lost a hole slew of channels. I think I only had the 5's, 9', and 40's.

I disconnected and reconnected everything inside. I spent probably an hour doing this with no luck. The only difference from the winter is the cable run is significantly shorter than before, which should help?

Clearly, the coax run to the converter box isn't seeing as much signal as the other two runs.

My set up is...

Antenna into house into RCA preamp

Preamp to 3 way splitter

Splitter to two tvs and the OTA box I got to go form coax to HDMI (which then goes to my receiver)

Any help? Seriously, the only OTA I use with the projector is football. I used to get NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS no problem, but now I only get FOX and ABC.

Thanks!
post #82 of 85 Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You could try replacing the splitter with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B001PI09SE
Also check the signal for a few days and see if you get consistent results to see if changing propagation is involved.
It is difficult for us to tell which stations you are referring to when you use network names or remapped channel numbers. I suggest using call letters or physical channel numbers
If you think you have a bad cable temporarily replace it with one that uses easy routing.
Also try the converter box on one of the other cable runs.
John.
post #83 of 85 Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 247
You would be better off using fol. inexpensive [low NF, High Overload Resistant] CM3410 Distribution Amplifier [same internals as CM3414, but w/o built-in Splitter] located AS CLOSE as possible to the Antenna (it is weather sealed) to significantly reduce the amount of Loss Prior to the Preamp:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-3410-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B001FY0B90
https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenn..._p/cm-3410.htm [CM3410, aka C-M Ultra Mini 1]

Since these are primarily intended to be used a Two-Way CATV "Drop Amps", the Installation Instruction only show connecting the (included) Wall-Wart AC/DC Transformer to the "PWR IN" port. If you want to supply DC POWER up the Coax to the OUTPUT Port (labeled PWR IN/RF OUT), then and extra cost Power Insertion Module (PIM) is used next to a convenient TV to Insert DC Power onto the Coax Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/PCT-Inserter-.../dp/B005Y12UH6

NOTE: Most CATV RF Splitters do NOT Pass DC Voltages....they would need to be replaced with a typical SATELLITE 4-Way Splitter with has DC PASS on the ONE Port connected to the PIM, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/PcConnectTM-F.../dp/B009Q8635S
or "Diode Steered" to prevent DC Power on ONE port from affecting or being affected by other ports, such as fol. example [many SAT Splitters with DC PASS on ALL Ports have this, but the fol. actually SHOWS it]:
https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Satel.../dp/B00P2RYN40

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #84 of 85 Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will give them a shot. What I thought was weird is that two of the splits work fine and one doesn't...and it is always the basement one no matter how I rewire what I currently have.
post #85 of 85 Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
So....I haven't used OTA much in the basement where the projector is. I have next to no use for it other than during football season. I did cut and shorten the wire from the antenna into the house a couple months ago and OTA worked just as before on two of the TVs.

It seemed to still work in the basement, I watched some football on FOX yesterday, but when I went to watch NBC last night, it said "No Signal".

I checked the other two tvs and 11.4 worked just great. I then did a channel search in the basement and found that I lost a hole slew of channels. I think I only had the 5's, 9', and 40's.

I disconnected and reconnected everything inside. I spent probably an hour doing this with no luck. The only difference from the winter is the cable run is significantly shorter than before, which should help?

Clearly, the coax run to the converter box isn't seeing as much signal as the other two runs.

My set up is...

Antenna into house into RCA preamp

Preamp to 3 way splitter

Splitter to two tvs and the OTA box I got to go form coax to HDMI (which then goes to my receiver)

Any help? Seriously, the only OTA I use with the projector is football. I used to get NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS no problem, but now I only get FOX and ABC.

Thanks!
This is a long thread but I don't see, unless I missed it by not looking at all the attachments, anyone has mentioned that there are two kinds of 3-way splitters. One kind has a "strong" leg and two "weak" legs since they are made up internally from two two-way splitters. Legs are one -3.5 and two -7 dB loss. Make sure the stronger signal leg is going to your basement. Other kind is 5-5-5 dB equal loss to all three legs but it has been my experience locally that these are harder to come by if you are buying them at a typical retail store. If unmarked use the signal meter on a tv that works now to find the leg with strongest signal. You usually don't need to have all sets hooked up to do this and can find it quickly. Some are marked with the dB loss right on the ports and some are not. If you are buying a new splitter look for the sat one suggested above that passes DC power on one leg and get the preamp box electronics remounted right up next to the antenna and feed DC from that leg.

The other difference is there are leaves on the trees now and not in February when this thread was started. I have a couple low power translators off the IDS tower in Mpls that don't generally come in when the trees are leafed out but are good all winter. It sounds like you are right at the edge of the signal cliff when you get to the basement run and only need a wee bit more. Try replacing the splitter with a wall plate coax coupler for testing and rescan your basement Mediasonic to see if it all comes in.You might also try a new balun at the antenna itself since they can get oxidized connections and are cheap to replace, although if antenna is in the attic this seems to be less of a problem, they only cost a few bucks. Someone here has done some testing on the best of them out there.

One other thing - it has been mentioned in other threads that the RCA preamp has one of the switches - I think the UHF-VHF separate and combined switch that can get funky or quit working all together so you might try that working that switch a few times to see if there is any improvement.

Just looking into no/low cost possible solutions. Doesn't sound like a 40 ft. tower and dual antennas would pass the WAF!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page