AVS Forum banner

Low Satellite Signal Error

410 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 ·
I have a directv 5 lnb dish installed on my roof that goes into a multiswitch that feeds 6 different receivers. 5 or the 6 boxes are working normally, but the 6th is giving me a low signal level error on some (but not all) of the channels. The malfunctioning box is showing very high signal strengths on the 119 degree bird and some of the others but is showing zeros on the 99 degree satellite. Consequently, we can't receive my local HD channels on that box.

Does this suggest a problem with the box's tuner or could an internal coax wiring issue affect the signal distribution for one of the birds but not all?

Hope my questions make sense -- its been a long day!

#3 · (Edited)
You're on a legacy system, where every box has its own line back to the multiswitch, correct? If so, then:

First, unplug the suspect box and let it sit for at LEAST five minutes. 20 is better. (if you can tell us the model of the receiver, it'd help). Plug it back in and check the levels. I have one older box that routinely lost the Ka satellites on a similar setup to yours. The long reboot always fixed it.

If the problem persists:
Follow @rabbit73's instruction and move the low-signal box to one of the other known good locations.

If the signal issue follows the box, it's the box. Probably got too hot somewhere along the line. Replace the box.

If the signal issue stays at the same location, try the following:
If you can access the multiswitch and you know which port feeds the bad location, swap it with one of the others. If the signal issue follows the swap, you need a new multiswitch.

If the signal issue is still at the same location, then it's in the cable run from that location back to the multiswitch. Let's try the easy stuff first. Start by simply removing and reconnecting the cables. This includes behind any wall plates. As you do this, inspect the cables for kinks and the connectors. Make sure the connectors are on tight and that the center conductor protrudes above the rim of the F-connector. Check to make sure it's copper-colored and not tarnished. While doing this, look for splitters or other items in the line. If you're on a legacy (non SWM) system, so there shouldn't be any splitters.

If the problem persists, you're probably looking at replacing the coax from the multiswitch to the bad location.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#6 ·
Does that model require a baseband converter? Small harmonica sized box connected between the box and the cable? If so and the problem follows the box in rabbit73's suggestion, then replace that.

#7 ·
Bingo!

What happened is I stole a receiver out of our sun room to install in a spare bedroom that a guest was staying in for the holiday. I forgot to keep the baseband converter connected to the receiver (wine was involved). Its booting up now but I'm sure that was the issue -- thanks for your assistance.

#8 ·
Sorry to put you through all of the other tests. If I'd had known the model number from the outset, I'd have suggested that, first. Not many of us still have gear that old. :D Glad it's working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.