URGENT: Which 36" 4:3 HDTV from BEST BUY ONLY! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-18-2001, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys... this is my second time trying to post this... hopefully it goes through this time...

Here's teh situation... my RCA MM36100 died. I have the extended warrantee from Best Buy. They can't find a replacement 36100 for me, nor a 36110. They have offered to give me any comparably featured set in the store instead. Sooooo, barring Sony, does anyone have any recommendations on a set that would be as good if not better (it's 1.5 years since I bought the MM36100)??? Remember, it HAS to be available to Best Buy.

Any help will be appreciated as I am supposed to tell them within the next few days what I want to do.

Thanks and regards,
Jeff

------------------
* RCA MM36100 36" 4:3 Direct View HDTV (DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!!!!)
* RCA DTC-100 STB
* Marantz SR-8000 Receiver
* Niles AT8200 In-walls
* Paradigm PW-2200 Subwoofer
* Toshiba SD-3109 DVD
* Audiotron Digital Music Player
* Panasonic PV-4559 Hi-Fi VHS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-18-2001, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Just out of curiousity, what do you have against Sony?

I got this information from the Best Buy website:

*Panasonic 36" Flat-Screen High-Definition TV Monitor with 2-Tuner Picture-In-Picture
Model: CT-36HX41

2 HD component video inputs let you connect to an HD set-top converter box and progressive-scan DVD player at the same time. The visual experience from either one will knock your socks off!

The flat screen of this TV will reduce glare and provide better geometry than the RCA. It looks like Best Buy also carries a 16:9 Panasonic, which would give you a better picture for HDTV and DVD. Regardless, the Panasonic is a better value than the RCA because it has an internal line doubler.

Andrew

Andrew Sabin
post #3 of 10 Old 09-18-2001, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin:
Just out of curiousity, what do you have against Sony?

I got this information from the Best Buy website:

*Panasonic 36" Flat-Screen High-Definition TV Monitor with 2-Tuner Picture-In-Picture
Model: CT-36HX41

2 HD component video inputs let you connect to an HD set-top converter box and progressive-scan DVD player at the same time. The visual experience from either one will knock your socks off!

The flat screen of this TV will reduce glare and provide better geometry than the RCA. It looks like Best Buy also carries a 16:9 Panasonic, which would give you a better picture for HDTV and DVD. Regardless, the Panasonic is a better value than the RCA because it has an internal line doubler.

Andrew
Andrew,
Suffice it to say that I think their (Sony's) customer service is abyssmal, their manufacturing quality is right up there with Dollar General Store's, and they have a horrible track record of honoring their manufacturer's warrantees amongst my family and other friend/acquaintances.

I also stumbled across the Panny Tau on the Best Buy website, but my research this early morning has led me to believe that that set is PLAGUED by geometry issues and red push issues even worse than the stories I have read about the VVega sets.

I can't recall if I have actually SEEN this set on the floor though. Sure would be nice to hear from someone who has had good/bad experiences with this set and the DTC 100 as the source.

I do trust Panny's quality as well... I've owned lots of their stuff and it seems to last. It just seems like there are an awful lot of squeaky wheels in regards to this Tau set.

Thanks for the response,
Jeff

------------------
* RCA MM36100 36" 4:3 Direct View HDTV (DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!!!!)
* RCA DTC-100 STB
* Marantz SR-8000 Receiver
* Niles AT8200 In-walls
* Paradigm PW-2200 Subwoofer
* Toshiba SD-3109 DVD
* Audiotron Digital Music Player
* Panasonic PV-4559 Hi-Fi VHS
post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 12:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Get the Panasonic if you wish to keep the set.

Get the Wega if you wish to sell someone the sell (assuming it still costs more).

The DRC makes NTSC all but unwatchable on the Wega in my mind. The Panasonic is not perfect, but I prefer it.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'd get them to locate a 36110. I know they are selling them in the Sugar Land, TX store. I'm sure BB can get you one if you want to push them.

Barring that, I'd go for the Tau.

Ken
post #6 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 03:01 AM
del
Advanced Member

Ice,

Did you see the 38" Rca widescreen at BB. It looked real good to me.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The 38" RCA widescreen would be a good choice, especially since BB just dropped the price to $2500.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a RCA 38310 for about 2 months It has been a very good TV to me so far and looks awesome. If you can get it that would be my choice or you could also try to get the panasonic 34" widescreen tau it is good too and costs about 1000 more. But thats not a factor in your decesion. Vut you may not be able to get any widescreen TV because your 36110 is not widescreen and therefore a widescreen does not have the same features. Maybe if you complain enough they would let this go.

[This message has been edited by jagouar (edited 09-19-2001).]
post #9 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 11:49 AM

I have the pana 36hx41 Tau and I love it. The pciture was great after getting the settings fixed. I am using it with a Sony DVD and a Sony hd100 receiver. The picuture in HD is awesome.

I read 1 review trough Home Theater and they rated the pana #2 under the Sony.

Good Luck!

Brian L Scott
post #10 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

My best friend has the RCA F38310 38" widescreen HDTV and the picture quality is excellent. Beware of quality control issues with this set, though--it was originally put on the market a year ago and then recalled; that's probably why it was reintroduced a few months ago at a lower price.

Also, be aware that the F38310 has the equivalent of an RCA DTC-100 DirecTV tuner built into it; that may be a plus or a minus depending on your situation.

------------------
<FONT COLOR="red">S</FONT c><FONT COLOR="white">c</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c><FONT COLOR="red">t</FONT c><FONT COLOR="white">t</FONT c> <FONT COLOR="red">G</FONT c><FONT COLOR="white">a</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">m</FONT c><FONT COLOR="red">m</FONT c><FONT COLOR="white">a</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">n</FONT c><FONT COLOR="red">s</FONT c>
My Website
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page