DirecTV Sat 110 down? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
HDTV Technical > DirecTV Sat 110 down?
DrDon's Avatar DrDon 07:18 AM 07-22-2003
What really hurts is that tranponder 91 reading on 119. I'm guessing that must be where DirecTV puts its Customer Service training videos <g>.

Doc

HDorBust's Avatar HDorBust 07:25 AM 07-22-2003
I have sent emails to Mr. Powell at the FCC and Mark at HDnet pointing them to this thread. I don't know if they will get the emails, but maybe one of them can pressure D"wrecked"TV to give us some timeframe as to when this will be resolved. If Dish had an equivalent offering right now, I would be gone, despite the fact that I would need to purchase new receivers!
bfriend's Avatar bfriend 07:30 AM 07-22-2003
I just fired off an email to news.com and included a link to this thread. Perhaps they'll pick up the "story".
fourthstooge's Avatar fourthstooge 08:15 AM 07-22-2003
So let's set a date and time for all NE subs to cancel the HD package simultaneously. I propose Monday, July 28, 9 AM if the problem is not resolved by then.
sdf777's Avatar sdf777 08:19 AM 07-22-2003
Now I'm screwed. I decided to try the csr's advice and deselect & reselect SAT ABC. Now my program guide is missing all the 110 sat channels. Tuning manually now says "not available" rather than "no signal". :mad:
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 08:28 AM 07-22-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by fourthstooge
So let's set a date and time for all NE subs to cancel the HD package simultaneously. I propose Monday, July 28, 9 AM if the problem is not resolved by then.
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face!!! Where do you intend to get the programing other than D*? Although we are all very frustrated I think anyone would be jumping the gun to cancel over this.
leesweet's Avatar leesweet 08:49 AM 07-22-2003
Have to agree with steverobertson... E* doesn't have triple LNB dishes out yet, and I don't think we want to start using the 60/140 sats for HD!

I hope/think D* will look at this a bit after the fact, especially if you (I'm not installed yet, so it's not a 'we' :D ) all call and get the refunds for the x days of service lost. The costs of the refund processing is probably more than the actual $$ involved and refunds will show up somewhere. And/but, of course, as someone said, the HD users aren't a large force yet. Sigh...

sdf/Steve, your predicament has me thinking I'd never switch to/from a sat lineup without confirmation from here that there's nothing wrong with the sat! :)

-Lee
fourthstooge's Avatar fourthstooge 08:50 AM 07-22-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face!!! Where do you intend to get the programing other than D*? Although we are all very frustrated I think anyone would be jumping the gun to cancel over this.

What good is it to us now anyway? If and when they fix it, we can always add it again (if we're not totally disgusted by then). This may be the only way to get their attention.
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 08:52 AM 07-22-2003
I just received an email from Stephanie which stated that she is out of the office but would have someone contact me. Stephanie has been great in responding to me in the past and I suspect I will here something today. She said if I didn't to let her know.
SolidSignal's Avatar SolidSignal 09:08 AM 07-22-2003
We have been selling hundreds of Sat C kits in the last few day. Mostly to the eastern Sea Board. We get the order and and call the customer. We ask if they are replacing Sat C because it just stopped working! The answer is almost always YES. We explain that something is wrong with Direct TV and cancel the order! What a pain!
HofstraJet's Avatar HofstraJet 09:24 AM 07-22-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by SolidSignal
We have been selling hundreds of Sat C kits in the last few day. Mostly to the eastern Sea Board. We get the order and and call the customer. We ask if they are replacing Sat C because it just stopped working! The answer is almost always YES. We explain that something is wrong with Direct TV and cancel the order! What a pain!
That's admirable on your part that you make that effort. More unscrupulous dealers would simply make the sale and deal with the small percentage of inevitable returns (I'm sure that once they go up to the roof, change it, and realize it still doesn't work, then figure out that it is DirecTV, many would just leave the new one up there and say "oh well, I have an extra one now). Kudos to you. :D
sdf777's Avatar sdf777 09:25 AM 07-22-2003
This is a giant conspiracy by the Sat C lnb manufacturers. :)
leesweet's Avatar leesweet 09:39 AM 07-22-2003
SolidSignal, do *you* have any contacts higher in D* that you can scream at and tell them how much they are p'ing people off? Especially, as said, those who buy Sat-C kits from other vendors on D*'s 'advice' and don't need them.

-Lee
SolidSignal's Avatar SolidSignal 09:51 AM 07-22-2003
Lee,
"Been There, Done That!"

They are aware and they are understaffed!

Customer service is a good as they can afford right now!
Hughes (the Parent of Direct TV) only made 20 million last quarter on over 2 billion in revenue.
They are coming off of my quartes of losses!!
Such's Avatar Such 09:57 AM 07-22-2003
What still does not make any sense to me is that my two HD STB's are experiencing different things. I did a swap of the box's last night to make sure the cabling/multi-switch ports are not part of the issue - they are not.

My Samsung gets 50's to mid 60's on the 110 Xponders.

My Mits/Hughs gets 0's, flat, not a blip.

Wondering if there is something with the older technology and the software glitch they are having (my Mits is almost 3 years old, Samsung is brand new)?
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 10:01 AM 07-22-2003
Solidsignal,

Thanks for your posts do you know if they are even working on this problem?
metamatt's Avatar metamatt 10:11 AM 07-22-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Such
What still does not make any sense to me is that my two HD STB's are experiencing different things. I did a swap of the box's last night to make sure the cabling/multi-switch ports are not part of the issue - they are not.

Wondering if there is something with the older technology and the software glitch they are having (my Mits is almost 3 years old, Samsung is brand new)?

This is most interesting. Could you give locations and also the software version on your new Samsung? I have a recently purchased Zenith 520 and it comes up zeros on all the 110 Xponders.
leesweet's Avatar leesweet 10:15 AM 07-22-2003
It's been said D* is working on it and I thought I saw posts where New England was seeing higher levels again (40 vs. 0)...

SolidSignal, agree on the staffing and budget issues, but don't you think they could fix the main communication problem here by an email to all the CSR supervisors or whomever controls the Level 1 contractors? That wouldn't take much to get the word out to all, I wouldn't think...

-Lee
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 10:19 AM 07-22-2003
Quote; It's been said D* is working on it and I thought I saw posts where New England was seeing higher levels again (40 vs. 0)...

This am I was still registering 0's across the board that was about 6:30
ghardenb's Avatar ghardenb 10:19 AM 07-22-2003
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Such

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here. My Hughes analog box is returning 30'ish on all 110 transponders, while my Samsung is showing higher readings.

Talked to a "tech" person again this AM. They try first to tell you that it's "your" problem, then admit - under pressure - that they know there's a problem and we'll have to be patient. This has been the pattern with each phone call.

How is DISH for HDTV? Do they have the same offering? Is this D* nonsense sufficient grounds to bail on a one-year commitment?
pat2joy's Avatar pat2joy 10:22 AM 07-22-2003
I Have two STB's, one SDEF and the other HD and both are seeing the same signal indications. Seems that the border of where the problem exits is from about Buffalo NY down to somewhere south of NJ. It seems like it is a antenna pattern problem. don't know why, could be positioning of the sat (not position in sky). Damaged antenna, misunderstanding of the antenna pattern. Seems that those that are in the pattern have very good signal levels and are receiving signals with no problems with age of STB. The problem may be unresolvable.

Pat
ghardenb's Avatar ghardenb 10:28 AM 07-22-2003
I came in an hour ago and found my Samsung with a frozen picture and "stuck" sound, like a skipping record. I powered it down and, after it redownloaded the guide data, it came unstuck. I found, though, that all guide listings after about 2:00pm today said "to be announced". Is this related to the signal power issue? What sat/trans carries the guide data?

FWIW, my channels 73 and 76 are now at 30% and breaking up.
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 10:33 AM 07-22-2003
Does D* have any room on the 119 to move the channels over to until they get this straightned out? I really hate the thought of not seeing the Red Sox and Yankees game this Sunday in HD
Rich Peterson's Avatar Rich Peterson 10:36 AM 07-22-2003
Quote:
Does D* have any room on the 119 to move the channels over to until they get this straightned out? I really hate the thought of not seeing the Red Sox and Yankees game this Sunday in HD
Moving the channels to 119 would require the use of 3 complete transponders there which of course they do not have available. Even if they got rid of all their PPV (temporarily) they wouldn't have enough.
Such's Avatar Such 11:21 AM 07-22-2003
I don't have the SW rev. numbers at my fingertips. Will get them when I get home tonight. I do know that a few weeks back (Week of 7/7) I had a similar issue with my older Mits/Hughs box - no 110 readings. I thought it was my problem (as I've had some stability issues with the box in the past). Brought it back to the retailer (had purchased extended warranty) and they did me a favor and swapped it for one they had on hand (used demo).

After the swap the replacement worked fine - also noticed it immediately knew it had an upgrade waiting and did the upgrade the night I swapped it. It still worked on the 110's after the SW upgrade (know this because I kept checking as this was the problem I had). All the while, my Sammy STB worked fine - and as stated, still does.
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 11:31 AM 07-22-2003
I hope this is not another case of software frying all of our STB'S. I remember the last time this happened and I ended up having to get a replacement sent to me twice befor it finally worked.
mythical_phenix's Avatar mythical_phenix 11:36 AM 07-22-2003
I just took a break from chipmunk hunting to check things out. Last couple of days on my DTC-100 I was seeing signal levels roughly 30-40 on all three transponders. Right now, they are all around 55, and I can get ESPN,Disc,HDNetMovies without problem (last couple of days I either couldn't get them, or they would continually break up). However, now I'm having trouble with HBO-HD, breaks up and no sound. Have to admit the picture (when its there) is really good right now.
--
fourthstooge's Avatar fourthstooge 11:48 AM 07-22-2003
My readings as of 1:40 pm:

xp8 - 50-60
xp10 - 43-53
xp12 - 0

slight improvement over yesterday, but not close to the pre-7/18 levels in the 80's on all 3, and certainly not strong enough to sustain any weather related degradation.
steverobertson's Avatar steverobertson 11:49 AM 07-22-2003
Maybe they are making progress!!! any other reports out there?
DrJoe's Avatar DrJoe 11:56 AM 07-22-2003
I haven't noticed any reports from this far north, but in Central Maine (Lewiston area), I'm not getting any signal from 110 (i.e. HDNet Movies, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD) either. Haven't for several days, but haven't had time to complain about it. I have an RCA F38310 HDTV (with an integrated DTC100 tuner).

Later

Joe
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop