Samsung receiver and D* HDTV deal - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #631 of 650 Old 11-23-2003, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i think i heard someone said D* have been shipping samsung since the beginning of the deal, but after all the samsung gone, it will start to ship Hughes ..and someone just received the Hughes , so it's my guess they will ship Hughes from now on, but may be i am totally wrong.

tivoboy, they treat it as an "additional receiver" ? so i can not replace one of SDTV receiver with this one ? i have to pay additional charge ..? I got a deal of Triple LNB dish with 4 standard receiver for $20 a week ago , and i activated them already, so now if i jump on this deal, i have to pay one more ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 06:20 AM

Liked: 12
I ordered the HDTV upgrade package from DirecTV last Thursday (Nov 20th) and the Samsung box was delivered to me on Saturday (Nov 22nd). Install this coming Saturday :D
post #633 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robot1998
they treat it as an "additional receiver" ? so i can not replace one of SDTV receiver with this one ?
Do you want to replace an existing receiver (keep only four activated) or use it in ADDITION to your existing receivers (bump up the number of receivers on your account to five)? If you replace an existing receiver (deactivate it, and activate the HD receiver), your mirroring fees will stay the same. If you leave all four SD receivers active, and add the HD receiver, you will pay another $5/month for mirroring the additional receiver.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #634 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 07:01 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
If you have to commit for a year of TC with HDpkg, does that mean If I also take D* up on their 99$ TiVo Deal, do I have TWO years of commitment?
No, you're never committed for more than a year. Any offer from D* that you accept will restart the clock for one year from the day you sign on the dotted line.

Vin

Vin
post #635 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack454SS
I picked the Sammy up from Fedex Friday night. The box sitting on my table bothered me too much to wait for D*TV to come on the 28th so I installed the dish myself. Took 10 mins. My wife wasn't home, so I just turned the volume on the TV up where I could hear the beaping. After that, called D*TV and activated my HD. WOW. That outdoor hocket game in Edmonton last night was absolutely crystal clear. I love it. Can't wait for more HD programming.
What HD set do you have?
post #636 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 01:44 PM

How does one know if a HD signal is coming though the receiver? Will the Sammy need an OTA to get these signals? Is the game tonight (Monday Night Football) in HD (OTA or Sat)? My apologies if the answer to these questions are obvious.
post #637 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM

Anyone getting this offer as a new customer lately? Seems like back in August a few people were getting the offer without being existing customers but I'm not sure if that was a fluke or if new customers can still get in on the deal.

Klipsh Heresy II / RC3 / RS3-2 / Paridigm PDR10 / Yamaha RX-V995 / Pioneer DV-333 DVD / HTPC / Samsung DLP HLM507W / Motorola 6200 STB
post #638 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 05:52 PM

rlam01,

You will need to get your local channels in HD using an OTA. I was not sure how to get the digital channels listed in the guide on my Samsung until Steve explained it last night.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=329125

I plan on watching MNF in HD in about 10 mins.

Mack
post #639 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

but still no digital signals. I am waiting to see if it is a timing issue, otherwise will return unit to swap for another.
I would be pretty surprised, if I coudn't get anything where I am.
post #640 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got the HD-special $399+, and after a whole bunch of moaning and complaining about the dearth of HD-channels, they gave me another $100 credit towards programming. At this point, I really don't care about what receiver I get. Buying an antenna, building an entertainment unit, then I'm in hibernation mode 'til next xmas.
post #641 of 650 Old 11-24-2003, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoboy
but still no digital signals. I am waiting to see if it is a timing issue, otherwise will return unit to swap for another.
I would be pretty surprised, if I coudn't get anything where I am.
Are you getting any OTA reception?
I ran into this problem with my 1st Sammy TS-160. I got OTA SD channels but the OTA HD chanels would not come in at all. Went to CC & got another TS-160 & no problems getting OTA HD. It took me three antennas to figure out it was the HD STB.
post #642 of 650 Old 11-25-2003, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Will probably try to return to D* after the holiday.
They will most likely not give me another Samsung, but the Hughes HTL-HD. Which is not what I wanted.
post #643 of 650 Old 11-25-2003, 06:49 AM

i read the thread about Hughes HTL-HD, sounds like it's a pretty good HDTV receiver, and do good job in OTA reception too. i think i will give it a try.
post #644 of 650 Old 11-26-2003, 07:41 PM

I have the Sammy (still shipping in MD) waiting for the install. I already have the oval 3lnb dish set up with 4 lines already running out of it. I need one more run out to the Sammy. I assume I will need a multiswitch, so Im going to buy one from rat shack just in case the installer 'forgets' to bring one, or tries to overcharge me for one. I also already have my CM 3021 antenna ready to go. I called D* and asked if I could hook it up before my install on Sat. and they said that it would void the Warranty. I saw some previous posts on this on page 33 of this thread, and I would like to know if this is really possible, can it void the warranty?? I want to see the games on turkey day in HD, even if it is the Lions and Cowboys!!! Can I just insert the card and scan for ota without calling D* to activate and get the OTA's till my Sat. install. Thanksgiving for all your help!
post #645 of 650 Old 11-26-2003, 08:38 PM

I'm in Maryland also, and just did the deal. They sent me a Hughes box which I assume is an E86 (have been too busy to check).

The installer comes Saturday, so I'll certainly know by then.

Is it normal for them to not also ship the dish itself. I have a round 2LNB dish, and will need the oval one for HD. I hope the installer brings it or Fedex does before Saturday.

-Andy
post #646 of 650 Old 11-26-2003, 08:44 PM

The Hughes is probably the HTL-HD box. I think they ran out of the old one a while ago.

I just got one of the HTL-HD ones 4 days ago and at first was a bit bummed. Once I put it in and started using it I relized it is actually a decent box.

The only compaint is for me personaly is I hate the layout of the remote. I continue to hit the wrong buttons when its dark.

One thing I did notice was a newer access card. never saw it before....has a mirrored stripe down one side.
post #647 of 650 Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by andyvegas

Is it normal for them to not also ship the dish itself. I have a round 2LNB dish, and will need the oval one for HD. I hope the installer brings it or Fedex does before Saturday.

-Andy
Andy, we got the dish and the hughes HTL-HD delivered today. D* customer service said that my equipment would be delivered to my installer, but it showed up at my door... hmm. As long as you get it one way or another.

Call and ask them where they've shipped your dish ;)

-f
post #648 of 650 Old 11-27-2003, 05:46 AM

I just checked the box again, and you are right. It is the HTL-HD.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

I'll call DirectTV about the dish. I'd hate to not get installed because the installer did not have everything he needed.

Thanks,
Andy
post #649 of 650 Old 11-27-2003, 07:51 AM

You are suppose to get the receiver and the dish. The installer just brings his tools.

The dish usualy arrives by UPS while the receiver is fedex. Be happy about the receiver! its as good if not better than the sammsung
post #650 of 650 Old 12-04-2003, 05:19 PM

I was watching this thread and just wanted to update with some info I just got from Tweeter today. Their ad has two offers for new D* customers:

Get 1 HD receiver (Samsung) and 1 regular stb installed for $500.
Get 3 regular stb installed for free.

But if you go to the D* website you can still see the offer for existing customers to upgrade to HD for $399.

So I guess the $100 is for the luxury of not having to deal with the service guy twice.

Klipsh Heresy II / RC3 / RS3-2 / Paridigm PDR10 / Yamaha RX-V995 / Pioneer DV-333 DVD / HTPC / Samsung DLP HLM507W / Motorola 6200 STB
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page