Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 650 Old 08-20-2003, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by tolomei
I've had nothing but bad luck with Tweeter, I refuse to buy from them anymore. I hope things turn out good for you.

I had problems as well with getting correct information from Tweeter, and their service wasn't up to par on some other stuff. That's why this whole price match stuff is greatness. Take the promo codes from Tweeter, find a sales or store manager at Ultimate Electronics or something equivalent, and do your best talking. Their advertising says they'll match anyones price, make them prove it. (they did for me!!!! And I got THE ZENITH!)

Good luck!:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 650 Old 08-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie97
:D :D :D :D :D
JACKPOT!!!!
Damn!!! Just got THE DEAL on Saturday.
Hi Aggie, please reply to my PM! I have visited and called the Frisco store and they deny any type deal... can you provide me with info so I can also get this deal? Anything to prove that you got it so I can shove it in their face? Thanks!
post #93 of 650 Old 08-20-2003, 03:24 PM

I just received my Tivo today, and it's actually going to be installed tonight. :D

Once that's done and I"m activated, I'll be on the phone with DirecTV to order the High Def. Kind of a shame that I have to drag two installers out here on two different days to get this deal.
post #94 of 650 Old 08-20-2003, 06:37 PM

Well, I'd actually get the pickets out of my butt (i.e. stop sitting on the fence about HTDV) if I knew I was getting the Samsung and not the Hughes. I just dno't need the hassle of order, being obligated, only to receive something I can't use.
post #95 of 650 Old 08-20-2003, 09:02 PM

Here's the deal guys. It will be incredibly hard to find a SIRTS160 as they are about to go disco. Tweeter used to offer all Samsung as part of their promotions for new customers. The Samsung is now pretty much impossible to find as it disco for them. The changed the promo codes on August 1st to $399 one room HD, $499 one room HD one room SD and $599 one room HD and 2 room SD. The Hughes is being used as it currently is the only receiver you can count on for stock. Sony is changing to the SatHD300, Samsung will have something new out soon, Toshiba is still now out, LG (high end Zenith) will have one out soon and I bet Zenith switches soon too. The Hughes is really the only one available. Thats pretty much the news. And yes you can guess who I work for
post #96 of 650 Old 08-20-2003, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Argh.
post #97 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 12:35 AM

I bit on this deal yesterday. It only took five calls to DirecTv and nine CSR's until I was finally put through to the "Customer Installation Group" who actually acknowledged the deal.

The lady I spoke with was very pleasant and when I asked about specifying the receiver, she said she had no control over the unit they would ship but would add a note to the order asking for the Sammy. I also had her add to the note that I needed the DVI output and that I couldn't use the component outputs so maybe that will help (or guarantee that I will be sent a Hughes by a disgruntled employee).:D

The total was $440.00 (I guess it costs a little more to ship to ID?) but if I get the Sammy, it will be worth it. The unit should show up Friday or Monday and the install is on Tuesday. I'll post back as to which receiver I get.
post #98 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 05:44 AM

After having my Tivo installed last night, I waited 2 hours and called DirecTV to order my High Def.

After speaking to the customer rep, he quickly transferred me to a different group that knew what I was requesting. I too asked if it was possible to request the T-160, and he said that wasn't possible.

He told me I could schedule an installation for this Friday. I told him I can wait until Saturday.

Overall, I have to say my experience with DirecTV's customer service is a lot friendlier and knowledgeable than Dishnetwork.
post #99 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 05:52 AM

arggg ... i called D* 3 times and every single time, they told me that I have to go to a retailer store to get the dish HD receiver myself. They only offer the standard package. :(

also called tweeter in freds, va. they won't give the samsung.
post #100 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 06:20 AM

Well, overall it seems like DirecTV has things under complete control. :(
post #101 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Sheesh, these kinds of stories are very frustrating. It just shouldn't be this hard! Apparently most people at D* aren't getting the memo about these deals...

Thanks,

Scott
post #102 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:32 AM

Scott, they remind me of the phone company. Your telco is a telecommunications company that does NOT talk to one-another. This isn't a case of 'need to know basis', but simply no one has consideration for anyone around them. In other words, pi$$-poor management.
post #103 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Scott, they remind me of the phone company. Your telco is a telecommunications company that does NOT talk to one-another. This isn't a case of 'need to know basis', but simply no one has consideration for anyone around them. In other words, pi$$-poor management.
I know, you're right. I'd just love to be able to somehow prove how much money they lose by virtue of frustrating potential and existing subscribers with their lack of communication. My parents are considering getting D* and I'm sitting here thinking "what if they call and have to speak to 5 CSRs...that'll be all she wrote." They are interested in adding satellite but I doubt they'd put up with too much of this nonsense. The process needs to be much more simple and straightforward for all of us, IMO.

Thanks,

Scott
post #104 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 AM

For instance, I have two Philips DSR6000R DirecTV-TiVo units. This means I'm committed. So why then do they provide themselves to place recorded advertisements on my units and never try to sell me HDTV?

I get a monthly bill, its in paper, and in comes in my mail. How friggen difficult is it to place a card in that envelope to market me HDTV? I see their idiot commercials all the time, in great numbers, and with sufficient variety to tell me they're spending money trying to get new customers, but they offer no commercials (that I'm aware of) to entice me into getting HDTV.

I can sell a pig some slop, but DTV can even attempt to sell me HDTV! I would rather see Marc Cuban launch his own satellite for HDTV-only and then invest my money in something of intelligence.

Ok, enough ranting.
post #105 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I get a monthly bill, its in paper, and in comes in my mail. How friggen difficult is it to place a card in that envelope to market me HDTV? I see their idiot commercials all the time, in great numbers, and with sufficient variety to tell me they're spending money trying to get new customers, but they offer no commercials (that I'm aware of) to entice me into getting HDTV.
I got one card three days AFTER I installed HDTV. Go figure.
post #106 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, enough ranting.
WanMan,

I've got a couple spare valium...wanna split them with me? :D

Seriously, I feel your pain, even though I've not yet subscribed to a satellite service.

Thanks,

Scott
post #107 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:52 AM

vafankie,

I have had better luck calling the installation department directly (1-888-355-7530). These reps seem to have all the current deals and their details on their systems. The regular CSRs seem more for focused on programming, billing and activation issues.

Note be carefull with the navigation. Do not press 3 for Technical Support that will bounce you back to the regular CSRs
post #108 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:58 AM

Funny. And my hourly dose of caffeine has worn off.
post #109 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Funny. And my hourly dose of caffeine has worn off.
Oh well, I'll hang onto your half of the valium for a future discussion of D* customer service... :)

Thanks,

Scott
post #110 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I called and they said they would only do it if it needed to be installed and they would replace my existing box. Well my existing box is a Tivo so I don't want to! He said I have to go to a retail store to just buy the box. Anybody have an other ideas to get just the box from them.
post #111 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackmax2k1
I called and they said they would only do it if it needed to be installed and they would replace my existing box. Well my existing box is a Tivo so I don't want to! He said I have to go to a retail store to just buy the box. Anybody have an other ideas to get just the box from them.
That makes very little sense. They would make more money if you add another receiver.
post #112 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 12:56 PM

I went to tweeter the other day and a rep had no clue about the deal. He said call back when his manager is in, so i did. He said there is a promotion going on for $499 but then they give you a $100 rebate, so $399 when all said and done.

I told him i would be right in to pick it up.

Albany, NY-- tweeter.
post #113 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tolomei
That makes very little sense. They would make more money if you add another receiver.
That's what I told him. It doesn't make sense cause they would be making money with the two boxes. Idiots. They are turning into Time Warner Cable.
post #114 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackmax2k1
That's what I told him. It doesn't make sense cause they would be making money with the two boxes. Idiots. They are turning into Time Warner Cable.
They didn't mention that to me, and I'm just going to add the receiver. I'll let you know what happens.
post #115 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got the 1 room deal at Tweeter for $399. Includes the Samsung SIRT160 receiver, the TRKS26 3 LNB dish, and installation.
post #116 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 07:21 PM

Just as an update and to help anyone looking for this deal, I just called using the number that zbimmer provided below and the rep was able to find the deal easily and work with me. He also said if the Hughes shows up instead of Samsung that I could issue a return order where they send out a return label and pay for the return. So it's a good deal if the Samsung shows up for that price. Good luck all!

Quote:
Originally posted by zbimmer
vafankie,

I have had better luck calling the installation department directly (1-888-355-7530). These reps seem to have all the current deals and their details on their systems. The regular CSRs seem more for focused on programming, billing and activation issues.

Note be carefull with the navigation. Do not press 3 for Technical Support that will bounce you back to the regular CSRs
post #117 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 07:56 PM

Good info. I'll call them in the morning. If we shouldn't press '3', what should we be pressing, hehe?
post #118 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:50 PM

A huge "Thank You" from a newbie!

After reading about the deals you guys were getting here and over on the Tivo forum I took a chance and called DTV on Sunday. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for 7-years and currently have 2-Sony D-Tivo's. After two failed attempts to find a rep who even had a clue about the Hughes / Samsung deal, I politely asked how to terminate my service I was transferred to the Customer Retention Dept. After about 1/2-hour, here's where I ended up:

-$200 Credit upon activation of a new HD Receiver
-$210 Programming Credit ($35/mo x 6 months)
$14.95 for new dish & installation ($0.00 + $14.95 shipping)

Went to CC to get the Samsung receiver and saw the Zenith was $100 cheaper, so I snagged that instead.

Only real problem I had was that the "free install" was only a dish swap. The installer's workorder said nothing about installing a new receiver, new multiswitch, or running any new lines. I was too anxious to get this puppy installed, so instead of calling DirecTV I flipped the guy $50 for the 5x8 multiswitch and the additional work.

Thanks again to everyone here for helping me get what I think is great deal!
post #119 of 650 Old 08-21-2003, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally posted by RAS123
A huge "Thank You" from a newbie!

After reading about the deals you guys were getting here and over on the Tivo forum I took a chance and called DTV on Sunday. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for 7-years and currently have 2-Sony D-Tivo's. After two failed attempts to find a rep who even had a clue about the Hughes / Samsung deal, I politely asked how to terminate my service I was transferred to the Customer Retention Dept. After about 1/2-hour, here's where I ended up:

-$200 Credit upon activation of a new HD Receiver
-$210 Programming Credit ($35/mo x 6 months)
$14.95 for new dish & installation ($0.00 + $14.95 shipping)

Went to CC to get the Samsung receiver and saw the Zenith was $100 cheaper, so I snagged that instead.

Only real problem I had was that the "free install" was only a dish swap. The installer's workorder said nothing about installing a new receiver, new multiswitch, or running any new lines. I was too anxious to get this puppy installed, so instead of calling DirecTV I flipped the guy $50 for the 5x8 multiswitch and the additional work.

Thanks again to everyone here for helping me get what I think is great deal!
Hmm, I have two Tivos too and I'm not sure I'd give them up. If I get an HDTV receiver, I'm not sure I'd want to deactivate one of them either.

That $400 deal sounds good, even if I get the Hughes without DVI. Ultimately, HDTV Direct Tivo is the key but the D* HDTV offerings are so weak that without OTA, it wouldn't be worth it.
post #120 of 650 Old 08-22-2003, 07:51 AM

Let me ask this. Since I am a new customer getting the ts160 deal, how do i go about getting an basic box for another room. It will need an accessc ard right, so lets say I find one on ebay, will I have to call D* to have it work or anything, or can i just hook it up and go?
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page