Why am I suddenly getting HDCP error - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-2017, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why am I suddenly getting HDCP error

Messages? I have a 4-year-old 46-inch RCA TV, a Denon AVR-E400, an Apple TV and Dish. All the components are plug through the Denon via HDMI cables and then an HDMI to the TV. All was working fine until last week, now I get HDCP cable error when trying to play Netflix, Hulu or HBO Go movies. Also Blu-Ray gets the same message. I've reset the TV and now get it to play as normal for a second and then I get the message. I've searched here and folks who get similar errors seem to get them at when everything is new. Mine has worked for four years. I have bought a splitter and hope that fixes it, but still very curious as to why now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
One of your HDMI cables has likely gone bad.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Update

I replaced both cables and tried a different source input on the TV. No fix.
So, I ordered a splitter. No fix.
I factory reset the Denon. Fix.
This was on Friday.
Then this morning I go to watch the latest "GOT" on the TV in the kitchen. Apple TV into Denon AVR-1613. Starts as normal, gets to beginning of programming and screen goes blank.
I move to the sunroom. Apple TV into analog Pioneer Elite. Starts as normal, meaning I get the opening HBOGo logo, and the Nudity warning, then the spinning wheel, then black.
Soooo, I go downstairs to the set-up mentioned above. Same problem. I'll fiddle with it some more this afternoon, but obviously very frustrating.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabble Rouser View Post
I replaced both cables and tried a different source input on the TV. No fix.
So, I ordered a splitter. No fix.
I factory reset the Denon. Fix.
This was on Friday.
Then this morning I go to watch the latest "GOT" on the TV in the kitchen. Apple TV into Denon AVR-1613. Starts as normal, gets to beginning of programming and screen goes blank.
I move to the sunroom. Apple TV into analog Pioneer Elite. Starts as normal, meaning I get the opening HBOGo logo, and the Nudity warning, then the spinning wheel, then black.
Soooo, I go downstairs to the set-up mentioned above. Same problem. I'll fiddle with it some more this afternoon, but obviously very frustrating.
Sounds like your AVR is going bad. Have you checked to make sure your electrical outlet grounding connection is working properly? Or perhaps you need to install a good UPS? I have a UPS installed for my equipment, and with the way the electrical supply is around here, I wouldn't ever go without a UPS again.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Except that it happened on three entertainment systems - three Apple TVs, three AVRs, three TVs in three rooms.
Yesterday when I got home I unplugged the HDMI cable from the Denon e400 and plugged directly to the RCA TV, worked fine. Poor sound, but meh, I watched Game of Thrones. Then I thought about using the splitter to plit Line 1 out to Denon and Line 2 out to TV. All kinds of weird. I got Apple TV selections fine and then Dish audio but Apple TV options. Unplugged it all and replugged it as it was two weeks ago. All seemed fine. HBO in kitchen worked as well.

We'll see what tonight brings.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
FWIW, AVRs seem to be big bottlenecks when it comes to HDCP issues. This board is full of such problems. I see more Denon issues than any other, but that might just be luck of the draw.

So.. if it works connected directly to the television, then that's the way you'll need to view it.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Also - definitely worth doing a full mains power cycle (i.e. switch off and disconnect from the mains supply - don't just switch off from the remote or front panel) for any TV or AVR giving 'funnies'. They get 'confused' sometimes...
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2017, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try the full power off this weekend.

Seemed to work ok last night. Just so strange that is is happening four years down the road and on all three systems. Most of the ones I've seen addressed here are related to new system hookups. That I can understand.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
FWIW, AVRs seem to be big bottlenecks when it comes to HDCP issues. This board is full of such problems. I see more Denon issues than any other, but that might just be luck of the draw.

So.. if it works connected directly to the television, then that's the way you'll need to view it.
I never had issues til I bought a new Yamaha Receiver last year. Every once in a while the screen goes black for about one second. I just deal with it.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Did Apple TV have a firmware update? It's the only common factor on your three set-ups. HBO Go or any other app get an update? Sometimes an update to one app can adversely affect others.

OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page