Cox Digital Cable to TV Tuner? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-22-2017, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cox Digital Cable to TV Tuner?

Hello everyone,

First time post, long time stalker....

I don't really have any experience or technical knowledge when it comes to cable and tuners, even trying to research it it's unclear how "plug and play" it is... I've always used a cable box supplied by COX to access my current digital cable.

Then I recently got an LG C7 and it has the live TV built into it and would love to have it work with my digital cable.

I guess my first question is, is this even possible, or are TV tuners only built for over air broatcasts? I tried plugging my coaxial cable directly into my TV but it failed to auto tune any channels. Would I need to call COX and have the tuner applied to my account to access the signal correctly? Or am I stuck with a cable box which just connect to an HDMI port?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-22-2017, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
Hello everyone,

First time post, long time stalker....

I don't really have any experience or technical knowledge when it comes to cable and tuners, even trying to research it it's unclear how "plug and play" it is... I've always used a cable box supplied by COX to access my current digital cable.

Then I recently got an LG C7 and it has the live TV built into it and would love to have it work with my digital cable.

I guess my first question is, is this even possible, or are TV tuners only built for over air broatcasts? I tried plugging my coaxial cable directly into my TV but it failed to auto tune any channels. Would I need to call COX and have the tuner applied to my account to access the signal correctly? Or am I stuck with a cable box which just connect to an HDMI port?

Thanks!
Even though the TV can tune cable channels, most channels are encrypted and must viewed through the cable box. A small percentage of TV's have a slot to accept a cable operator supplied "cable card", which is an alternative to the cable box.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Somewhere in your setup menus is an option that'll select between "antenna" or "cable." Connect and do a scan after choosing "Cable." You'll get any channels that are unencrypted. That's usually your local stations, C-Span, Shopping channels and community-service channels. Plus anything still being sent via analog, which is less and less likely as time goes on. Most services refer to this set of channels as "Broadcast basic" or some such.

But, yeah, you most likely won't get ESPN, FS1, Discovery, et al and you definitely won't get HBO, Showtime and so on. To get everything you're paying for, you'll need either the box from Cox or a CableCARD device, such as a TiVo. Or you can get really industrious and build an HTPC that uses CableCARD. The STB from Cox is probably the best way to go as cable companies tend to support their own boxes. Third-party solutions.. you're on your own.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Our 32" Sony tuner was doing fine with Cox cable channels until they encrypted all channels (with the exception of a few like color bars), Now, we must use their Mini Box. During the change, the boxes were free for a short period, but I had to pay $15 ea for extra remote controls.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cox+...iw=911&bih=345

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 09-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page