AVS Forum banner

Columbus, OH: Help finding TV Tuner for projector setup

13K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 ·
I've been trying to find good advice online for a while, but keep finding dead-ends and confusion. I hope one of you experts (least compared to me) has some suggestions...

First, I am in Plain City, OH (outside Columbus): www(dot)tvfool(dot)com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a4a2cf6aa570

I have a Denon AVR-S900W receiver with a Acer h5380bd project attached to it. I have no cable TV, just plan on using an OTA antenna (which I don't have yet).

My main question is, what's a good way to add a TV Tuner to this setup? Ideally I'd like to be able to watch OTA TV through my receiver on my projector and have a remote to change channels. (I've seen the $30-$40 ViewTV and Mediasonic external tv tuners on Amazon, but I'm confused if they will be "good quality enough"... I think 1080p is good enough quality for me but I see others in the $100-$200 range...)
The ability to DVR or PVR would be nice but not a requirement.

A secondary question I have is... I also have an older model DVD recorder (Magnavox zv427mg9...)... which only has RCA input and S-Video input (no HDMI input).
Does anyone have a suggestion to take an HDMI output from the Denon and convert it to either RCA or S-Video? Might be nice to be able to record a show that way.

Finally, might there be a product that could serve both purposes - handle ATSC OTA signals through my receiver to watch on my projector AND convert HDMI to S-Video or RCA? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I think 1080p is good enough
There are no stations using 1080p OTA broadcasting. HD is sent at either 720p or 1080i.

You can buy an RCA converter box at Walmart for $50. Add an external USB drive and it becomes a DVR. The inexpensive boxes have pretty clunky user interfaces so don't have high expectations for user friendliness. If you want ease of use, get a Tivo.

Does anyone have a suggestion to take an HDMI output from the Denon and convert it to either RCA or S-Video?
You'd have to take the feed off the converter box/DVR, not the AVR.

#4 ·
ViewTV's will do this.

I've been trying to find good advice online for a while, but keep finding dead-ends and confusion. I hope one of you experts (least compared to me) has some suggestions...
My main question is, what's a good way to add a TV Tuner to this setup? Ideally I'd like to be able to watch OTA TV through my receiver on my projector and have a remote to change channels. (I've seen the $30-$40 ViewTV and Mediasonic external tv tuners on Amazon, but I'm confused if they will be "good quality enough"... I think 1080p is good enough quality for me but I see others in the $100-$200 range...)
The ability to DVR or PVR would be nice but not a requirement.
I have the ViewTV AT263 and AT300's. They work great, especially as a simple tuner. Their foibles and faults start to show when you use the DVR, but if you don't need it, then these are gangbusters as a cheap tuner.

HDMI, Component, Composite, optical if you need/want it, and RF if you woudl some how need it.

ATSC 1.0 only allows for a MAX 1080i signal to be broadcast. You can SET the OUTPUT to be 1080p 60hz for everything. I did. I It looks good. I can only tell on the Big 5 signals when I check them. Mostly watch the diginets.

A secondary question I have is... I also have an older model DVD recorder (Magnavox zv427mg9...)... which only has RCA input and S-Video input (no HDMI input).

Does anyone have a suggestion to take an HDMI output from the Denon and convert it to either RCA or S-Video? Might be nice to be able to record a show that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-EGHRC-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B00GGFY6LW

Many of these have DVR abilities. Nothing fancy. Think DIGITAL VCR. Which will record in FULL RESOLUTION if you are talking about the mainstream channels. The DVD recorder is going to be limited in resolution by the S Video connection to 480i.

Finally, might there be a product that could serve both purposes - handle ATSC OTA signals through my receiver to watch on my projector AND convert HDMI to S-Video or RCA? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks!
Sure, the various ViewTV's will OUTPUT Composite, if you want. ALL OUTPUTS except RF is active at all times. RF is selectable in hardware if you don't need Loop through for the antenna signal.

#7 ·
Thanks TampBayOTA, that's really helpful.

DrDon, I did read the rules before posting, but there are a lot of them, and apparently missed / misread a few things. I also did search the forums to the best of my ability before posting (because I prefer not to waste anyone's time) but not knowing what CECB stands for I did not know I should search that subforum. Part of being a newbie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.