Columbus, OH: Help finding TV Tuner for projector setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Columbus, OH: Help finding TV Tuner for projector setup

I've been trying to find good advice online for a while, but keep finding dead-ends and confusion. I hope one of you experts (least compared to me) has some suggestions...

First, I am in Plain City, OH (outside Columbus): www(dot)tvfool(dot)com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a4a2cf6aa57 0

I have a Denon AVR-S900W receiver with a Acer h5380bd project attached to it. I have no cable TV, just plan on using an OTA antenna (which I don't have yet).

My main question is, what's a good way to add a TV Tuner to this setup? Ideally I'd like to be able to watch OTA TV through my receiver on my projector and have a remote to change channels. (I've seen the $30-$40 ViewTV and Mediasonic external tv tuners on Amazon, but I'm confused if they will be "good quality enough"... I think 1080p is good enough quality for me but I see others in the $100-$200 range...)
The ability to DVR or PVR would be nice but not a requirement.

A secondary question I have is... I also have an older model DVD recorder (Magnavox zv427mg9...)... which only has RCA input and S-Video input (no HDMI input).
Does anyone have a suggestion to take an HDMI output from the Denon and convert it to either RCA or S-Video? Might be nice to be able to record a show that way.

Finally, might there be a product that could serve both purposes - handle ATSC OTA signals through my receiver to watch on my projector AND convert HDMI to S-Video or RCA? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Updated with tvfool link that works:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4a90ff2af32

Last edited by DrDon; 09-23-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2560
Please read sticky threads that say "read before posting" ...before posting. There are workarounds to posting a link in there. I fixed it for you, this time. But please read the directions NEXT time.

Also, please SEARCH for existing threads before starting a new one. There are several in this section and in the CECB subforum regarding ATSC-tuning STBs. Also, the HDTV Recorders Forum has information on OTA DVR solutions.

And, FWIW, there is no OTA 1080p.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 09-23-2017 at 05:25 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
I think 1080p is good enough
There are no stations using 1080p OTA broadcasting. HD is sent at either 720p or 1080i.

You can buy an RCA converter box at Walmart for $50. Add an external USB drive and it becomes a DVR. The inexpensive boxes have pretty clunky user interfaces so don't have high expectations for user friendliness. If you want ease of use, get a Tivo.

Quote:
Does anyone have a suggestion to take an HDMI output from the Denon and convert it to either RCA or S-Video?
You'd have to take the feed off the converter box/DVR, not the AVR.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Arrow ViewTV's will do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc_131 View Post
I've been trying to find good advice online for a while, but keep finding dead-ends and confusion. I hope one of you experts (least compared to me) has some suggestions...
My main question is, what's a good way to add a TV Tuner to this setup? Ideally I'd like to be able to watch OTA TV through my receiver on my projector and have a remote to change channels. (I've seen the $30-$40 ViewTV and Mediasonic external tv tuners on Amazon, but I'm confused if they will be "good quality enough"... I think 1080p is good enough quality for me but I see others in the $100-$200 range...)
The ability to DVR or PVR would be nice but not a requirement.
I have the ViewTV AT263 and AT300's. They work great, especially as a simple tuner. Their foibles and faults start to show when you use the DVR, but if you don't need it, then these are gangbusters as a cheap tuner.

HDMI, Component, Composite, optical if you need/want it, and RF if you woudl some how need it.

ATSC 1.0 only allows for a MAX 1080i signal to be broadcast. You can SET the OUTPUT to be 1080p 60hz for everything. I did. I It looks good. I can only tell on the Big 5 signals when I check them. Mostly watch the diginets.

Quote:
A secondary question I have is... I also have an older model DVD recorder (Magnavox zv427mg9...)... which only has RCA input and S-Video input (no HDMI input).

Does anyone have a suggestion to take an HDMI output from the Denon and convert it to either RCA or S-Video? Might be nice to be able to record a show that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-EGHRC.../dp/B00GGFY6LW

Many of these have DVR abilities. Nothing fancy. Think DIGITAL VCR. Which will record in FULL RESOLUTION if you are talking about the mainstream channels. The DVD recorder is going to be limited in resolution by the S Video connection to 480i.

Quote:
Finally, might there be a product that could serve both purposes - handle ATSC OTA signals through my receiver to watch on my projector AND convert HDMI to S-Video or RCA? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks!
Sure, the various ViewTV's will OUTPUT Composite, if you want. ALL OUTPUTS except RF is active at all times. RF is selectable in hardware if you don't need Loop through for the antenna signal.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
ATSC 1.0 only allows for a MAX 1080i signal to be broadcast.
Actually 1080p is included in the ATSC 1.0 standard but no broadcasters have elected to use it.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Arrow 1080p, what is ATSC 1.0 max, Alex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Actually 1080p is included in the ATSC 1.0 standard but no broadcasters have elected to use it.
Yeah, fingers and brain were not connected. :

1080p

Even I don't use it most times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
dvd recorder , projector , tv tuners

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page