Coax vs S Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2003, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In hooking up a friends tv a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the Coax looked better than the S Video cable hook up!!! So last night I did mine and noticed the same thing. I was always under the impression that s Video was the way to go but now I don't believe it is.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2003, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Believe it depends a lot on the original sources of both. S-video (Y/C) separates the luma (B&W) and color (C) portions of video signals and can theoretically deliver ~720X480. Coax delivering RF-based analog NTSC provides ~440X480 (see tables for more details). But analog NTSC is severely filtered, too, limiting color details as well as horizontal B&W resolution. But if your S-video source is a cable system carrying ~10 channels compressed into a 6-MHz-wide slot, the compression often strips away a lot of color detail. So an analog version of the same channel, despite its filtering, may look better than digitally decompressed video. Notice this, for some channels, with my cable system.

It's also possible, as I notice here, that still another H/DTV version of that channel, carried on a cable/OTA/satellite, looks far better than either the S-video or coax. That's because as a H/DTV channel it might have ~19 million bits a second of data, as a station-upconverted (non-HD) 1080i/720p signal, compared to only ~4 Mbps of data for a more-compressed SDTV channel. -- John
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2003, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
John thanks for your reply it makes sense in what you are saying. My friend has Comcast which I really noticed a difference on and I have D* and also noticed a difference but not as dramatic. The colors do look better with the Coax on both setups cable and D*
post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2003, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
This 'phenomenon' is also quite common with certain brands of plasma displays. For example, Panasonic plasmas have excellent comb filters that do a really nice job on composite video. The result is that composite video looks better than S-Video for SD material.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....so 'conventional wisdom' says that S-video should be superior to composite......but if your eyes tell you something different, then forget the conventional wisdom.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page