Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1226 Old 11-10-2003, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi SherlockH,

If you want to crop images yourself so that only a specific part shows up on the screen during your slide shows, then yes 1920x1080 is the perfect size for display on your 1080i set. The HD1000 will display the full resolution of that image. Enjoy!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1226 Old 11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 269
very nice ROKU!

just installed mine: excellent PQ via 1080i component

popped in a compactflash card from a Canon EOS Rebel and the shots look excellent on a HD display

was told the rack ears are shipping today

nice product: Thank you!

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #93 of 1226 Old 11-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gee, with folks looking for HD test patterns, (What is best calibration video and why? & Digital Video Essentials (HDTV Calibration DVD) for $12.50 shipped) it sounds like this would be an ideal box to display them.

--Roland
post #94 of 1226 Old 11-10-2003, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Foxbat, stay tuned to this channel! :)

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #95 of 1226 Old 11-13-2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SherlockH
I understand there are three primary areas of interest with the current HD1000.
1) Audio - improving the capabilities offered here.
2) Video - providing the promised ability to play HD Video through a network connection.
3) Slide Shows.

I want to hopefully address the Slide Show area and how we may be able to create better ways to use the HD1000 in this area.
It is becoming apparent to me that playing video and doing slide shows via the Roku HD1000 are probably going to be closely linked. I have been trying to use Adobe Photoshop Album to help create slide shows that I can display via my HD1000. While I can use the tools of Photoshop Album to help select the images for inclusion in a slide show, I have not found any way to do anything with these images other than put them in a shared folder that the HD1000 can access. The immediate problem is that the order of the images for the slide show is lost. Transitions, captions and music of course are also lost. In thinking about ways to overcome these problems, it appears to me that creating a high definition video file that the HD1000 can play is the most likely solution since this video file could include transition effects and audio.

If anyone else has thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.
post #96 of 1226 Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Sherlock,

Conversion to an HD MPEG clip would definitely be a possibility. Great idea! :)

You're correct that we do our own slideshow format, and don't support the output from Photoshop Album (or other third-party software) at this time.

We do have the ability to play photos in a specified order with specific delays between images. At the moment, using this functionality requires creating a simple script file.

Mike Kobb
post #97 of 1226 Old 11-13-2003, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, one other quick tip. The built-in slideshow shows pictures in order by name. If you want to arrange some pictures for a slideshow, you can just number them:

01_birthdaycake.jpg
02_candles.jpg
03_presents.jpg
etc.

Be sure to use the leading zeros if you'll have more than 9 pictures, or you'll end up with:

1_birthdaycake.jpg
10_blah.jpg
2_candles.jpg
etc.

This ordering works for pictures that are in the same folder. If you have photos in multiple folders, the photos are sorted together based on their parent folder, then sorted within each folder alphabetically as described.

Hope this helps!

Mike Kobb
post #98 of 1226 Old 11-13-2003, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike
Hi Sherlock,

We do have the ability to play photos in a specified order with specific delays between images. At the moment, using this functionality requires creating a simple script file.
How can I get information on creating this script file? I looked through the documentation I have and don't see any mention of this.
post #99 of 1226 Old 11-13-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SherlockH
How can I get information on creating this script file? I looked through the documentation I have and don't see any mention of this.
The document is available here: http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/ under "Roku External Control Protocol for the HD1000"

Patrick
Sr. Software Engineer, Roku
Visit the Roku Forums
post #100 of 1226 Old 11-13-2003, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
I got my Roku unit today. Looks nice, but I cannot get any compact flash cards to work. Putting the one that I bought in ("The Classics") does nothing. I checked the card on my PC and it basically has the same contents as the DVD or CD that came with it. I also put a few .jpg files on a different compact flash card, but that doesn't do anything either. The builtin menu selection is there and those look nice, but I'm wondering if there is something faulty in my unit, if I need to enable something else, or if I could be doing something else wrong. I've looked at the pins inside and they all look good. The busy light on the front of the Roku box doesn't go on and the menu doesn't show a compact flash selection, though.

I might be able to find an MMC or Memory Stick tomorrow and try that.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #101 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Darin, very sorry to hear that you are having problems.

You're correct that something should definitely happen when you insert the card. As you surmised, the Busy light should come on when the card is scanned, and an icon should appear on the left, below "Built-in". In the case of the Classics Art Pack, it should start playing immediately. For camera cards, the default would be for a slideshow to start.

The only thing I can think to offer is to make sure that the card is seating properly. You've looked inside at the pins, so I'm guessing you know how the CF card rides the little "rails" back to the pins, and then needs a little extra pressure to actually seat the pins in the card. (Sorry if you already know all this -- have to be sure not to assume anything one way or the other.)

If you're sure the card is seating properly but isn't working, then I would suspect a hardware problem. The units are tested at the factory, so it's always possible that something was damaged during shipment. Please contact Roku support by email or phone. The support team will help you troubleshoot a bit just to be sure, and will arrange a replacement if necessary.

If you are able to try MMC or Memory Stick first, though, that would be a very good indication that everything else is working properly and that the CF slot itself is the problem.

Sorry again for the trouble, and I hope you'll enjoy your HD1000 when it's up and working for you!

Mike Kobb
post #102 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RokuPatrick
The document is available here: http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/ under "Roku External Control Protocol for the HD1000"
Folks --- It's a whole new world with the Roku HD1000!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have been like me, you have not bothered to look at the 'Developers' tab on Roku's web site or the "Roku External Control Protocol for the HD1000" PDF document. Well folks, I know what I am going to be doing between football games this weekend. I am going to be developing a slide show with music that will start to show off the capabilities of the HD1000!!!!!

And for those of you who have been complaining about the limited MP3 music player, you need to read this document. I am not a Linux person, but from what I read, I think you can probably control the HD1000 by simply hooking up to the serial port rather than having to turn on the TV and using the remote to select the MP3 files to play.
:D ;) :cool:
post #103 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just pulled the trigger on the HD1000 - I look forward to getting it next week, hopefully (are these in-stock and shipping?).

I'll give a review when I get it set up.

David
post #104 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 03:20 PM
djs
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts of adding an Internet browser? This would presumably require an IR keyboard so... any thoughts of supporting an IR keyboard?:D

This might be a nice package for a 3rd party to sell.

I think the Roku combined with a Bravo D2 may mean that I don't need an HTPC.
post #105 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 04:47 PM

Anybody have a HDTV tuner card like the MyHD or Fusion? Tried playing a recording on the Roku?
post #106 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

But the Roku doesn't play video - at least not in this initial release.
post #107 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
But the Roku doesn't play video - at least not in this initial release.
Oh. Their web site is a little misleading then:

"Video Format Support
Full hardware MPEG2 MP@ML and MP@HL decode and MPEG1 decode; decode and display of all 18 DTV ATSC MPEG2 formats supported"
post #108 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, those *are* the correct specs for their hardware. Oh, you need SOFTWARE to actually use those features? Well, they have an SDK - I guess you could always write your own video player...
post #109 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Howdy folks.

Sorry, this needs to be updated in the FAQ. We do have full hardware support for those video formats, as listed. In 1.0, we're using it for the LiveArt feature of our Art Packs.

We're also working on expanding both video and audio format support for future software releases.

Mike Kobb
post #110 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike
Howdy folks.

Sorry, this needs to be updated in the FAQ. We do have full hardware support for those video formats, as listed. In 1.0, we're using it for the LiveArt feature of our Art Packs.

We're also working on expanding both video and audio format support for future software releases.
When? (approximately)

What?! Me worry?
post #111 of 1226 Old 11-14-2003, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, we haven't announced a date yet. As soon as we can, it will be posted here!

Mike Kobb
post #112 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Are there any plans on expanding the retail market? I don't have a Tweeter near me; will Best Buy or Circuit City be carrying it? How about Fry's?
Would also love to see some sale prices from these stores!
post #113 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 08:45 AM

How does the Roku PQ compare with Planetweb's Digital Photo Viewer? DPV takes images up to 1536 x 1024 but I don't know what the displayed resolution is.
post #114 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Are those of who have purchased one of these units happy with its' abilities for the price paid? Or are you waiting patiently for software updates to get your monies worth?
post #115 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 09:16 AM
dwk

Anyone know what the equivalent competition is?
post #116 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwk
Anyone know what the equivalent competition is?
An HTPC (assuming Roku adds video playback at some point)
post #117 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

this is probably the closest competitor:

http://interact-tv.com/products.php

rather be lucky than good.
post #118 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Telly has some nice features but overkill for me on the computer and DVR function. It says it has SVGA output but doesn't elaborate on resolutions.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping to see some kind of new release discount or something? Like was said earlier maybe discounts via retailer at some point - to me the current price is just outside of what makes this box worth it for me.
post #119 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

skoolpsyk, we're also in some West-Coast dealers. I don't want to mention names here on AVS as a courtesy to our hosts, but our web site does have a listing of the chains. If you keep an eye on that page, you will see updates as additional stores come online.

Ruby, given that the HD1000 supports screen resolutions higher than the maximum image size you quoted for the other product (we go up to 1920x1080 output resolution), I think it's safe to say that the HD1000 is higher-resolution. Assuming that the other product is a standard NTSC source, we would have around 6x the resolution.

Slocko, I'm not sure I think that the product you quoted is really a direct competitor. First of all, they have a DVR feature, which is not in the HD1000. Second, they are standard-def NTSC, while the HD1000 is HDTV. Third, no media slots on that product. So, I think these products are targeting different markets.

Mike Kobb
post #120 of 1226 Old 11-15-2003, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Roku HD1000 also has no hard disk or CD/DVD drive - correct? If so, it's very much a *thin client* for playing back media stored elsewhere (network storage, media cards). Quite unlike the Telly - which seems to me to be simply a Linux version of a generic Media Center PC.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page