Roku: HD still image player - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Replay doesn't make transport streams...

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of software for creating custom slide shows (that will do various swipes and fades, add music, text, etc from digital stills) that can be saved as an MPEG II for playback by the Roku?
Can you save a Power Point presentation as an MPEG II?
Please excuse my ignorance with this!
Thanks
post #183 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

When will we see support for the Monkey Audio format, or some other lossless audio format?
post #184 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 11:22 AM

Could yo use something like womble to convert the VOB program stream to a transport stream?
post #185 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi gimp,

1.5 beta currently supports uncompressed files (WAV and AIFF), so those are full-fidelity. For lossless compression, it's on our desired feature list but we haven't announced a date yet.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #186 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

So am I the only one in this thread interested in lossless compression? If others are interested please speak up so Roku hears us!
post #187 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

No need. We know it's a desired feature. Some of us use it ourselves.

Mike Kobb
post #188 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike
No need. We know it's a desired feature. Some of us use it ourselves.
Cool, thanks. How's the visualization stuff coming along? Will we see that eventually as well?

If I display a 1920x1080 jpg image, are all 2M+ pixels sent to the display? The reason I ask is that my Toshiba LCoS is full 1920x1080p native. If I have a slide show with all images this size, what's the successive load times?
post #189 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When we say transport streams, we do mean transport streams. Program streams or elementary streams are not yet supported. Many .mpg files you might create on a PC are not transport streams. DVD files are not transport streams either.
A program stream can be converted to a transport stream with a utility called MPEG2TS. I wonder if the Roku can play the resulting transport stream. Perhaps this could be a workaround until the Roku has full functionality for playback of transport streams and program streams.
post #190 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 12:18 PM

Quote:
First, the ZIP file. I downloaded and installed this update myself last night as part of testing. The file is good, so if you're getting errors, you most likely got a bad download or possibly there was a problem with the un-ZIP utility.
I got a bad download on my first attempt. For the record, this time I got a RokuHD1000_1.5.4.zip that is 11,206KB and this unzipped (with no errors) to a UPDATE.ROK file of 12,912KB.

Unfortunately we have company arriving tonight, so it may be this weekend before I will get a chance to try it out.

Thanks for the additional information on the video file support. I am a little confused at the moment on the transport stream, so I will search around and try to get a little more educated.
post #191 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 12:25 PM

The documentation clearly states USB for network adapters, however I am vastly curious about the potential for external storage...
post #192 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Since the Roku uses SMB file sharing, it already has unlimited external storage.
post #193 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gimp
If I display a 1920x1080 jpg image, are all 2M+ pixels sent to the display? The reason I ask is that my Toshiba LCoS is full 1920x1080p native. If I have a slide show with all images this size, what's the successive load times?
We would decode a 1920x1080 image at full size, and assuming that you have the output set to 1080i, would output it as a 1080i image.

Mike Kobb
post #194 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys at Roku keep up the good work!!!

It's great to see a company supporting their product and listening to feedback in realtime. That's what the interent is for. You can't beat that with a stick.

For that reason alone, it's an attractive product. I'm patiently waiting for support for VOBs. Once that is offered, I will definetely give it a spin. I know it might take a few months.

rather be lucky than good.
post #195 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHT
Does anyone know of software for creating custom slide shows (that will do various swipes and fades, add music, text, etc from digital stills) that can be saved as an MPEG II for playback by the Roku?
Can you save a Power Point presentation as an MPEG II?
Please excuse my ignorance with this!
Thanks
I have several programs that will do this. But while hopefully the HD1000 will be able to route these to the HD TV, these programs today only put out MPEG2 video at DVD resolutions, not HD TV resolutions. I have contacted several of the companies to request they think about adding HD Video output support that could then be played via the HD1000. This would lead to some fantastic possibilities.
post #196 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

"I have several programs that will do this. But while hopefully the HD1000 will be able to route these to the HD TV, these programs today only put out MPEG2 video at DVD resolutions, not HD TV resolutions. I have contacted several of the companies to request they think about adding HD Video output support that could then be played via the HD1000. This would lead to some fantastic possibilities."

Thanks for the info. What are some of the better programs for doing this?
post #197 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHT
Thanks for the info. What are some of the better programs for doing this?
I hate recommending software since everyone has different needs, etc. For my use, I find a program called 3D-Album along with their Visviva Animation Capture to be a lot of fun in creating very unique videos from still images. (www.3d-album.com).

Another program for more typical slide shows with good transition effects is Cyberlink's PowerDirector Pro.

I understand that Vegas Video has very powerful capabilities and also supposedly can do HD Video output. I have not had the time to really do much yet with this program and I expect the learning curve to be tougher with this program.
post #198 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 02:17 PM

If you have the Nature or The Classics Art Packs and have downloaded the 1.5 Beta, you can now download updates for your art packs from http://www.rokulabs.com/support/updates.php that will enable the new art pack-related features in 1.5.

Patrick
Sr. Software Engineer, Roku
Visit the Roku Forums
post #199 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We would decode a 1920x1080 image at full size, and assuming that you have the output set to 1080i, would output it as a 1080i image.
This is actually kind of cool. Some Roku reps demonstrated this for me at the local Magnolia store yesterday. He put in a card with 5 Mpixel images. It initially scales the photo to the display size (1080i in this case) but then when you zoom in, it scales/fills using the original full 5 Mpixel resolution; it doesn't just blow up the 1080i scaled image.
post #200 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

I got a Good Guys coupon in the mail today for $50 off any purchase of $499 or over, so I gave them a call, found they had 1 in stock so toddled over and picked it up.

I've connected it in between my Zenith HD-SAT520 HD receiver and Panasonic Tau 34" Direct view display and connected the 10/100 ethernet port to a Linksys 802.11G ethernet bridge. The video looks pretty good at 1080i although the picture edges bend inwards slightly at the top but that could be the cheesey component cables that came with it, I'll get some decent ones tomorrow.

Setup has gone pretty well, but it only sees one computer on the network even though there are 5 all with public shares. I'm installing the 1.5 beta now and I'll see if that improves the network share discovery. Its been reading the CompactFlash card for almost 15 minutes now so fingers crossed!.

Tony
post #201 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm. 15 minutes is a long time. Too long, really.

Also, the image should definitely not bend in at the top. We've never seen that.

Mike Kobb
post #202 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 05:24 PM

Is your zenith HD-SAT520 also putting out 1080i? Have you ever had geometry problems with that TV before?

Patrick
Visit the Roku Forums
post #203 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mike,
Its been close to an hour now, I guess I'm going to pull the CF card and try again. The card was not empty, there was a directory off the root as well as the .rok file. Maybe I'll reformat the card and try it.

Patrick,
The Zenith is also set for 1080i. There were some geometry problems when I tried to use it with an RCA DTC-100 via a VGA-to-Component transcoder. No problems since using newer STBs that use standard timing. I know this set is picky on timing issues.

Tony
post #204 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hey RukoBoys,

I run/ran a internet radiostation and would like to see if a request system can be added to the Roku.

Is it possible to have a temporary music Queue per say?

For My radiostation I load a playlist and random sort it a few times press play continous. I have a online request page that lists the song currently in the playlist sorted by there ID Tags.(Artist/Album/SongTitle) The end user can add songs to a play queue that starts playing right after the current song ends. after the "Request Queue" is empty it returns to the next song in the original playlist.

This is all mostly done with a plug-in for winamp.

Possible on the Roku?

P.S. what video formats are Currently/Future supported? Your website is down.

webboy@totalconfusion.org
Xbox Gammer Tag: webboy
My Profile
------------------------------------
post #205 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 06:00 PM

The 1.54 beta kills the network share finding functions. I had to flash back to the original version to attach to my shares. I flashed and reflashed multiple times to confirm this. I can only attach with the shipped bios. The good news is that it attaches correctly with the Triton NAS120 plus multiple WinXP shares without a problem. The beta bios appears to have a share recognition bug. Besides that I really like this box.
post #206 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Tony, the update should really only take a couple of minutes. If I were you, I think I would try downloading the updater again and put it onto an empty flash.

Webboy, thanks for the tip about the web site. We're looking into it right now.

Jza_Man, the new release has an updated Samba version and it supposed to improve the network scanning (which it does significantly for us). Can you describe the problem you're having in more detail? PM me if you want to take it offline.

Mike Kobb
post #207 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Howdy again. We had a DNS issue with our web site. We've fixed it and the change should be propagating within the next five minutes or so. If you have the ability to flush your DNS cache, that should bring you back up. Otherwise, you should see the site back up as soon as the change propagates to your DNS.

Mike Kobb
post #208 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by webboy10169
Hey RukoBoys,

I run/ran a internet radiostation and would like to see if a request system can be added to the Roku.

Is it possible to have a temporary music Queue per say?
The command-line mp3 player (/usr/local/bin/mp3player) supports at-will queueing. It would also be very easy to write an app for your application.

Quote:
For My radiostation I load a playlist and random sort it a few times press play continous. I have a online request page that lists the song currently in the playlist sorted by there ID Tags.(Artist/Album/SongTitle) The end user can add songs to a play queue that starts playing right after the current song ends. after the "Request Queue" is empty it returns to the next song in the original playlist.
Possible on the Roku?
Sure, although it would require a custom app.

Quote:
P.S. what video formats are Currently/Future supported? Your website is down.
Whoops. I've fixed it, although it may take a little time to be reflected. As far as video formats. Only Mpeg 2 Transport streams are currently supported.

Patrick
Visit the Roku Forums
post #209 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 06:30 PM

JustMike:

I formatted two compact flash cards. On one card I placed formatup.rok (1.0.49) and on the other update.rok (1.5.4 beta). I hold down the standby key with the compact card in and I boot to whatever version I wish to evaluate. Both versions find my DHCP server and receive an IP address of 192.168.1.254. The new beta version doesn't automatically find any shares even if I force it to in the setup. The original version finds three shares immediately. I have a WinXP network with an 8 port Linksys Cable router with a file server, a NAS server and four workstations. This is old hat to me since I'm a network engineer and I have a Turtle Beach Audiotron also that is sometimes very fussy about shares. (Actually version 1.0.49 had an easier time finding my Triton120 NAS share than my Audiotron did.) The update.rok file is 13,221,888 bytes.
post #210 of 1226 Old 11-21-2003, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi again Jza_man,

Thanks a lot for the extra information.

Couple of things: we do a much more thorough scan than we did before, and this takes some time. While we're doing the scan, no shares will mount. You may want to give it a couple of minutes.

If that doesn't work, have you tried the "Clear and Rescan" option in 1.5? That will clear any of your old 1.0 prefs files and do the SMB discovery operation. It's possible that 1.5 is getting confused by your old prefs file (although it shouldn't). Clear and Rescan runs that scanning process when you press the button (there will be a "Please Wait" dialog on screen while it does), so you'll know when it has finished the scan and can see the results.

Mike Kobb
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page