The Sony HD300 Is Here - First Impressions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 697 Old 10-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had my first reboot on the HD300. I was building my Custom Guide. I noticed that it would save (Updating Channel List) every now and then. Then it did not save for a long time and it locked up. I waited.... it rebooted itself. I went back to editing the Custom Guide most of my selections had been saved. I continued and noticed that it was saving quite frequently. I finished without incident.

This does not bode well for HD300 users (and probably the LG3200A users as well). Hopefully this is something that can be updated in firmware and not a hardware problem.

Gary

|||--Sony SATHD300
Component
|==============Sony HS10--->100" Firehawk---> eyeballs
DVI
|-------Bravo D1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 697 Old 10-07-2003, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sonofjay
Thanks guys!

The MX-500 seems to be the winner. However, I have not seen for $100. BB have it for $150. Any reliable dealers you guys want to recommend?

-J
We charge $109.99 delivered.
post #93 of 697 Old 10-07-2003, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Costco has the mx-500 for under $100
post #94 of 697 Old 10-07-2003, 10:54 PM

Just received my HD300 from Circuit City today. I notice an improved PQ over my old RCA receiver on SD channels. This is my first HD receiver so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, the HD picture quality is incredible! I can see why people say they will never watch another SD program again (unless of course that is all there is). I have had it turned on for 6 hours and no problems yet. It also looks great sitting next to my Momitsu DVD player.

Steve
post #95 of 697 Old 10-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveL7228
Just received my HD300 from Circuit City today. I notice an improved PQ over my old RCA receiver on SD channels. This is my first HD receiver so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, the HD picture quality is incredible!
This was my experience too.

My wife has been pretty reserved through this whole HD HT project. She was impressed with the DVD, but sat tv until now has been pretty much of a yahn. Oh sure, it was bigger but dimming the lights was a pain for her. Tonight she said, "I had to come downstairs to watch tv. All of the tvs upstairs look all washed out." :D I took that as an "atta boy".

Gary

|||--Sony SATHD300
Component
DVI
|-------Bravo D1
post #96 of 697 Old 10-08-2003, 11:29 AM

Do you lose the custom channel list on reboot? There seems to be conflicting reports.
post #97 of 697 Old 10-08-2003, 11:59 AM

My custom channels were preserved after my only spontaneous reboot.
post #98 of 697 Old 10-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drogot
Do you lose the custom channel list on reboot? There seems to be conflicting reports.
That problem seems to be solved in the HD300. After creating the Custom Guide once, I now understand what HD200 owners were complaining about.

Gary

|||--Sony SATHD300
Component
DVI
|-------Bravo D1
post #99 of 697 Old 10-08-2003, 08:55 PM

My calibrator told me that component was better than DVI, even though I have the hitachi 65xwx with DVI. If I use DVI do you think it will not emcompass his calibration settings I paid so much for?:rolleyes:
post #100 of 697 Old 10-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're connecting to a CRT (analog) device then perhaps component could be better then DVI. If you're connecting to a digital device (projector or certain RPTVs) than DVI will most certainly be better because you are not going through DtoA and AtoD conversions.

Traveler
post #101 of 697 Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
The sad thing is that the HD200 and the Zenith Sat520 *do* let you have the custom guide as the default. Why they just wouldn't hold this over to the next model is beyond me.

Rick

Very annoying. I have been waiting for this receiver to replace my HD100, but I've decided to wait again. This is a step backwards.

I just can't see how a decision was made to list ALL channels by default. I hate all those PPV, music choice, and advertising channels that I don't care for. These engineers who are designing these boxes just can't get them right. Come on. A DIRECTV box is basically a guide and a tuner. Why they can't get them both right is beyond me. They could of at least added an option in the menu to select the default guide.

What I find totally ironic is that they fixed the memory problem with the SAT-HD200 regarding the loss of custom channels (which is why I returned that unit), but not they don't let you see the custom channels by default when selecting the guide?? Might as well just left the memory out of this unit.

I guess I'll wait for the SAT-HD400 . . . hopefully it's not built by Zenith too, because Sony knew what they were doing when the made the SAT-A1, A2, A3, A4, etc. All have outstanding user interfaces.
post #102 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Could someone post the total height of the HD300 (from the bottom of the feet to the top of the unit)?

Thanks,
John Flegert
post #103 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert
Could someone post the total height of the HD300 (from the bottom of the feet to the top of the unit)?

Thanks,
John Flegert

Mine is just shy of 3" (2 15/16" inches to be exact).

Chris
post #104 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you.
post #105 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmshoemaker
....should I be looking for a DVI switcher?
Is there any such thing?
post #106 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Tooz,

Quote:
My calibrator told me that component was better than DVI, even though I have the hitachi 65xwx with DVI. If I use DVI do you think it will not emcompass his calibration settings I paid so much for?

I am curious about your calibrator's coment regarding DVI's inferiority to component. I have the 65xwx and the Zenith 520, with the settings changed in the ISF menu as oted on the rearpro forum some months ago (for all three inputs). I realize that component and DVI both look amazingly good, but the DVI input is a bit better in all respects, IMHO and that of everyone who has seen the setup. Color level is globally lower, however via DVI.

Thank you very much

Fury
post #107 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, there are DVI switchers. Just do a search in this forum.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #108 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 12:35 PM

Does anyone have the new HD300 in a room with a Sony TIVO (or other Sony Directv receiver)? If so, do the remotes interfere with each other (i.e. if you hit the channel up on the HD300, does it also move the TIVO channel up?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #109 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I have both in my den and they do share quite a few of the same codes but not all. I haven't checked everything out (basically I don't use TiVo that much since the HD300 arrived) but I know power, guide, and such are the same.

UPDATE: Under the HD Menu - Setup - Advanced you can select Remote ID (50 or 51) which should let each remote operate separately. I thought I remembered such an option... but I'm getting old.
post #110 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 02:29 PM

My impression has changed a little since my first post. I got on my roof and adjusted my antenna again. I can get all the OTA channels now, and don't have any complaints about the HD tuner. The picture looks great.

Also, I found that if I bring up the guide and then select favorites, it will filter the guide for only favorite channels instead of bringing up the grid of favorite channel logos with no program information. I guess you could use a macro remote to program a favorites button to bring up the guide and then favorites instead of the default behavior.

For what the receiver costs, you shouldn't need to buy another remote to make it work the way it should. There is also only one set of favorites. I'm used to having separate favorites for each family member.

I also had the receiver lockup once requiring a reset. I was tuning into an OTA HD program at the time.

Well I still have 3 weeks to decide if I want to keep it.
post #111 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 04:11 PM

Anyone know where I can buy this receiver at? I have tried Best Buy and Circuit City and have had no luck!

Thanks.
post #112 of 697 Old 10-09-2003, 08:12 PM

There seems to be lots of internet options if you just do the search!
post #113 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 02:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

So, bottom line, based on the fact that they are the same 'except for a few lines of software', there is no reason to wait for the LG 3200? I've got a Tosh 3100 I want to cancel and get something, and I've tied it down to this box, in one of its incarnations (Sony or LG).

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #114 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The LG 3200 is supposed to be out now as well
post #115 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, bottom line, based on the fact that they are the same 'except for a few lines of software', there is no reason to wait for the LG 3200? ...
If you care about price. Isn't the LG supposed to be less expensive?

John
post #116 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

I received my HD300 from CC on Wednesday.

First impressions:

1) RF remote is not quite as good as I would like. Placed the "antenna" right next to my VCR and it would work sporadically. I had to move it forward so the end sticks out a bit.

2) PQ (on DirecTV HDTV signals) is great. I only had the HD200 for a couple of weeks, so I really don't know if the HD300 is any better than the HD200. HDNET last night looked awesome.

3) I had my first reset occur last night. I simply selected HDNET from the guide and the system locked up. After about, maybe, 15 seconds it reset. After that, it was fine.

In general, I am very happy with it. For the most part, I only use it for viewing HD content. I use my DirecTivo for SD content.

I don't have my OTA antenna hooked up yet. Hopefully this weekend.
post #117 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 07:10 AM

just received my hd300..picture is great. however, i have a seleco front projector with a 4/3 screen. i am unable to get 16/9 picture..everything is 4/3. any suggestions? i have read and reread the manual and there is no way to set the receiver for a 4/3 screen. appreciate any suggestions.

robert green
post #118 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 07:44 AM

Long time lurker – first time poster -- so please be kind.

I received my HD300 Wednesday and so far I am pleased. This is my first HD STB so I will not be able to compare it to earlier models. However, I have had an OTA HD tuner for a couple of years through my TV (Sony KDP-57XBR2).

A few thoughts:

The picture quality on regular satellite programming through the HD300 is better than through my DirecTivo. I have it hooked-up with component cables.

HD pictures from both the satellite and OTA are stunning. Discovery HD was just amazing last night. I also like the ability to stretch a 4x3 digital picture from the OTA tuner. With my TV’s OTA HD tuner it would lock in full when I received a digital 4x3 signal with black bars on the side. I can live with the stretch mode so it’s a feature I like. I also like the OTA stations integration into the guide. Needless to say, my wife like this feature.

The OTA tuner is more sensitive than the one included with my TV but not by the magnitude that I would have expected. It has helped with multipath and seems to be more stable. While I do receive higher signal strength on the HD300 than the TV tuner, I have not been able to pick up the marginal stations that I thought I would have been able to receive. To be fair, I need to reposition the rooftop antenna this weekend to see if this has any effect on the reception.

I have not played with the custom guide extensively but it I have set up a macro on my ProntoPro that gets me there easily.

I also have a Sony DirecTivo in my system. It definitely shares remote codes with the HD300. I have yet to figure out a good solution to keep the two from interfering with each other. The only solution I have come up with so far is to manually put the Tivo in standby mode while using the HD300. Any suggestions?

Finally, I have not had any reboots.
post #119 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 489
HD Longhorn

the solution to the remote control codes same as your Tivo is easy:

go into the menu of the HD300 and select 'remote control' and switch it to RF: there are several available RF remote codes and none will interfere with the Tivo IR codes

don't forget to plug the RF remote antenna into the HD300

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #120 of 697 Old 10-10-2003, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, appears he is using the Pronto for his remote so he can't use the HD300's RF feature. Good thought though.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page