Hughes HTL-HD! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1251 Old 12-02-2003, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
>I know this may sound stupid but why would you want caller ID on a >satellite receiver?

Because when the phone rings, people who are watching TV can see on the screen who's calling and decide whether or not to pick up the phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1251 Old 12-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know this may sound stupid but why would you want caller ID on a satellite receiver?
I didn't think this was a big deal either until I got the Hughes E-86 which has it. It is a great feature! Once you live with it for a while, it is hard to live without! It can't cost much, if anything, extra for STB makers to include Caller ID.
post #273 of 1251 Old 12-02-2003, 10:44 AM

I went to Best Buy to get the Sony HD-300 for $ 599.99. However I noticed three Hughes HTL-HD receivers in the boxes sitting on the shelf although there was no display, info, or shelf pricing. When the salesman (who also didn't know that this unit was there!), checked the price--he and I were both surprised that it came up at $ 399.95. I ended up buying the HTL-HD because of the $ 200.00 price difference. After hooking it up to my Sony WT-500 46-inch RPTV, my initial observations are:

(1) The DVI using the supplied cable is good but I still seem to have a slightly better (brighter) picture using the component cable; I have another DVI cable from Pacific Cable which I am going to try today;

(1) The HD picture is not quite as good as it was with the TWC SA receiver;

(2) The SD Directv channels are slightly better with this box than with my old Directv receiver;

(3) OTA is somewhat spotty, but I'm a good distance away from the towers and I'll probably need to add an amp to my CM-4228 antenna;

Overall, it looks like a pretty good receiver for the price. I'll update later...
post #274 of 1251 Old 12-02-2003, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by herrfish1

(1) The DVI using the supplied cable is good but I still seem to have a slightly better (brighter) picture using the component cable; I have another DVI cable from Pacific Cable which I am going to try today;

(1) The HD picture is not quite as good as it was with the TWC SA receiver;

(2) The SD Directv channels are slightly better with this box than with my old Directv receiver;

Overall, it looks like a pretty good receiver for the price. I'll update later...
you may need to adjust the contrast or brightness or etc on the DVI input on you tv. .
post #275 of 1251 Old 12-02-2003, 05:32 PM

:confused: OK, who has one they want to unload? Write me. (please and thank you) :rolleyes:
post #276 of 1251 Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marlinchaser
I had my dish installed and did the account set up for HD programming only to find it doesn't work. Directv claims that the problem is related to the card, anybody else had problems with inital set up?

Mark
I took advantage of the DirecTV special ($399) and they shipped me the HTL even though my father ordered it a day ealier and recieved the Samsung. After the installer finished with the new dish, I plugged in the receiver and it only saw even transponders on all 3 satellites. Turns out the reciever was defective, waiting on a replacement...
post #277 of 1251 Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by JOHN88
THANKS SCOTTIE:

I JUST PURCHASED A HTL-HD AT BEST BUY, WEST HARTFORD FOR $399.99. THEY ONLY HAD TWO IN STOCK. I HAD PURCHASED ONE EARLIER TONIGHT AT CIRCUIT CITY FOR $499.99. THAT ONE GOES BACK TOMORROW.
Hehe, well, guess what? They have 0 in stock now :D cause I just bought the 2nd one(and last, as I could see), from the West Hartford store yesterday.

Very nice piece of equipment. I have yet to actually do more that plug it in and look around thou, since my HDTV won't be in till Friday. I didn't get a chnace to check the firmware version tho.
post #278 of 1251 Old 12-03-2003, 01:24 PM

Seems that my problems were created by the installer, he reused my 3X4 and spliced the cable going to my bedroom. I installed a 5X8 and it corrected my problems. When he installed my old multiplexer I questioned him but he was addmant that it was ok. I think the installers and customer service at DTV are far for being up to speed on HD.

Mark
post #279 of 1251 Old 12-03-2003, 04:02 PM

I've had this box for almost a week. Stumbled upon it at Best Buy for $399 after picking one up at Circuit City for $499 two hours earlier (returned the CC one).

Here's my observations:

The good:
-OTA reception is excellent compared to my RCA DTC-100. Not a single dropout on the main channels. Very little antenna adjustment is necessary.
-OTA channels information shows up on the guide.
-Integrated channels/guide. I don't have to change inputs based on the source.
-Very nice guide
-Cleaner picture than the DTC-100
-Excellent front panel display
-Runs extremely cool.
-Makes no noise what-so-ever.

The not-so-good (some of these are nit-picking):
-The default guide cannot be changed. It's alway set to all. So even though you setup custom channels, you have to hit guide button twice and change to custom to eliminate the channels you deleted.
-Cable channels do not show up on the guide
-On screen display can be a little tighter. It spreads the information out too much
-No caller ID
-Can't dim the display
-DTV signals are not nearly as good as on both of my DirecTivos. About the same as the DTC-100 (no drop outs however).
-Can only display digital channels as sub channels. In other words CBS2 NY is 2-1 instead of 56-1.
-The optical connector holds the cable somewhat loosely. I can jiggle it a little. This is when using an AR and RCA optical cable. When using a cheap one, it's pretty tight. This may be the problem with the audio (see below)
Loud click when changing from OTA to cable input - normal but annoying.
The picture is a little darker than the DTC-100.

The bad:
-No OTA signal meter (unbelievable). Hopefully it will be added soon.
-Can't change the format from the remote
-Not a clean change from 1080i to 480p when using variable 2 - I can't use this setting. This may be a problem with my set.
-Transponders 30 & 32 on sat 101 come in at about 20 while on the Directivos, I get high 80's.
-Locked up on me twice - once while setting up the custom channels using 2 fingers and going real fast (had to press the reset button) - the other time while changing channels (just had to power cycle).
-Sometimes when changing to WABC-DT (NY), I get no audio. I have to change channels and go back, sometimes more than once.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this unit. For $400, it's a steal.

Steve
post #280 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Hughes would "release" this box and not even have it up on their website yet??? Still....a few weeks after initial release for that matter?

:confused:

I went into a Best Buy yesterday, saw 3 or 4 on the shelf (but no tagging/pricing on the shelf) and for ****'s and Giggles I asked a young Sales Rep how much the boxes were...he went off to ask...and when he didn't return 10 minutes later I left.

Yeah.
post #281 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 06:40 AM

Liked: 22
Bought one yesterday at Best Buy for $399. They had just arrived at the store and the salesperson didn't think they'd last for more than a day or so. Circuit City has them for $499.

It replaced a Zenith 520, which I was able to return. I like this better except for two things: (1) the box is not as attractive -- better than the E86, though; and (2) the display is too bright. I have it in the master bedroom and had to turn off the box during the night because the display is so bright.

Bill Julyan
post #282 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Hughes would "release" this box and not even have it up on their website yet??? Still....a few weeks after initial release for that matter?

Maybe because I believe, this is the first(I think) receiver which has a Hughes nameplate that Hughes didn't actually manufacture. It is manufactured by LG. Unsually it's Hughes manufactured receivers getting other company's nameplates.
post #283 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_IV
Maybe because I believe, this is the first(I think) receiver which has a Hughes nameplate that Hughes didn't actually manufacture. It is manufactured by LG. Unsually it's Hughes manufactured receivers getting other company's nameplates.
True enough. But what irked me, was that as SOON as I saw it on CC's website about 3-4 weeks or so ago, there was NO where to go for any specs/info....

Just seemed odd....and still does for that matter :p
post #284 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 02:36 PM

Can someone who recently bought the receiver tell us if it has software version 1.07 and if so, does hitting the pause button bring out a OTA Signal Meter?
post #285 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 04:43 PM

I just picked one up from Best Buy on Wednesday, unfortunately it has version 1.06. I haven't heard of anyone having version 1.07 yet.
post #286 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 PM

Mine just came via ups today from d*, it is also v1.06.
post #287 of 1251 Old 12-05-2003, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_IV
Maybe because I believe, this is the first(I think) receiver which has a Hughes nameplate that Hughes didn't actually manufacture. It is manufactured by LG.
This is correct, see the HDTV STB Synopsis for details.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #288 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 05:19 AM

I ordered from D* last Sunday. Receiver showed thursday, dish received friday.

Installer will be here today (Sat before noon).

Very easy install for him. I already have a triple dish (missing the sat-c LMB).

Al the guy as to do is swap the dish and activate the new card.

I want to call D* and ask for a month or 2 of hbo for free for signing up for this deal. I want to see HBOHD.

Anyone know how to convince D* to give you HBO for a month or 2 for free?

1st post.

aunixguru
post #289 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aunixguru
I ordered from D* last Sunday. Receiver showed thursday, dish received friday. ...

I want to call D* and ask for a month or 2 of hbo for free for signing up for this deal. I want to see HBOHD.

Anyone know how to convince D* to give you HBO for a month or 2 for free?

1st post.
The best deals can be had BEFORE you make a contract. (This is not only true of Directv.) All you can do now, is ask what they will do for any particular upgrade.

Gary

|||--Sony SATHD300
Component
|==============Sony HS10--->100" Firehawk---> eyeballs
DVI
|-------Bravo D1
post #290 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 08:50 AM

I think 1.07 is vaporware. No one has actually seen it.

Steve
post #291 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 10:30 AM

Any ideas as to where I can purchase the HTL-HD without agreeing to any D* whatever installation agreement?

Just need the darn STB to work as an integrated tuner for OTA HDTV and analog cable for my Panasonic plasma. Definitely not a cheap tuner for the plasma but relatively cheaper and newer alternative compared to the other STBs out there. Plus all this gets wired into the AVR via component.

Unfortunately no line of sight to satellite in my condo unit. And not paying Comsteal the extra $$ for digital and HD.

But went to Circuit City today and was told of the no installation or activation fee. Surprise, surprise, surprise. I'm thinking I might have no choice but to just suck up the $300 extra fee on this and let D* come after me but I'm hoping that I don't have to go down this route.

Thanks in advance
post #292 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pds22
Any ideas as to where I can purchase the HTL-HD without agreeing to any D* whatever installation agreement?
Why not go with another model that doesn't have sat directv capability?

See this thread for another LG version that has an HD tuner, DVI switcher and DVD player:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=331339

Gary

|||--Sony SATHD300
Component
|==============Sony HS10--->100" Firehawk---> eyeballs
DVI
|-------Bravo D1
post #293 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Get the LG 3100A - it is the same as the HTL-HD without the DirecTV portion. It also will decode QAM HD from cable - so if your Comcast broadcasts any of their HD stations without encryption (some do especially on the local HD channels) then you can pick those up as well.
post #294 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note...

I finally got my HDTV, so I hooked up the HTL-HD and did the setup. Everything looked great till about five minutes later, the receiver locked up. I hit the reset button and so far everything has been great since then. It's been about 24 hrs and has been under high usage and everything is fine. HD is incredible and this receiver does a nice job.

I really like this receiver, for the money.
post #295 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 02:15 PM

Problem is the inputs. For whatever reason LG decided to give the 3100A, 3410A, 3510B only 1 input for piping in cable or OTA but they gave the 3200A 3 inputs where 1 input for D* but 1 input for cable and 1 input for OTA.

So problem with 3100A, 3410A, 3510B is that you only have 1 input. And you can't switch between OTA and cable without un-connect/connect the inputs. So far switchers don't work without turning the unit off and rescanning the channels.

But 3200A doesn't have this issue since it has separate inputs for all 3. So hence my quest on finding a HTL-HD without going through the D* agreement.
post #296 of 1251 Old 12-06-2003, 09:30 PM

The 3410A was shown to have two inputs, one for antenna and one for cable.
post #297 of 1251 Old 12-07-2003, 08:23 AM

Does anybody know how to configure the remote so that the volume button controls the AUX no matter which component button is selected? On my old remote (the blue D* remote) this option was called 'volume lock'.
All my sound is output through my AV receiver (AUX) and it's a pain having to press AUX on the remote then press SAT to go back to controlling the D* receiver.
post #298 of 1251 Old 12-08-2003, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I rechecked the manuals and info on the LG web site and it looks like PDS22 is right, one ANT input and one RF output for the 3410 and 3510. The 3200 and 3220 (Hughes HTL-HD) have both OTA, Cable and D* inputs. That, settles it for me, I'll probably get the 3200/Hughes version, especially if my local BB has it for $399.

I have D* and will register it with them, but I won't get their HD subscription. $11 is too much for Discovery HD and HD Net. If HD movies are PPV, I don't want them and I watch sports only very rarely.

There is nothing in the D* agreement that says that you have to get their service or get their HD programming if you have the service (like I have). The only drawback with getting the 3200/HTL-HD and not signing on with D* is that you won't be able to get the firmware updates without the subscription.

I'm contemplating getting the unit and not even connecting it to my satellite feed, but just using it as an OTA receiver for now. I can always hook it up to the Sat Feed later (and add it to/change my hardware list) with no penalty, etc.

Happy Holidays,
-{Santa;)} Claus

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #299 of 1251 Old 12-08-2003, 06:10 AM

No, the 3410 has TWO inputs, one for ANT and one for Cable. The 3410 shares the same tuner as the 3200.
post #300 of 1251 Old 12-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

For the 399$ at all the retailers I have seen, there is a d* card in the box which has to be activated, I think this means, requires activation and a valid subscription. I'd check that out for certain before buying if you don't want to pay the 11$
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page