Hughes HTL-HD! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1251 Old 12-16-2003, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add me to the list, my unit displayed reconfig for two or three days on and off. Now, its new trick is to lock up when you try to going into the guide screen. I contacted D* and there sending out a replacement unit.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1251 Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
tivoboy,
Quote:
any antenna suggestions.? I am not far at all from the towers here in San Mateo, CA, but for some reason indoor amped antennas don't work.
Your problem is the buildings between you and Mt. Sutro. I just looked at the map, SFO is directly between you and Sutro, you might be getting interference from the airport. This is another reason for a rooftop mount and may require a directional antenna.

Any low cost UHF antenna might do. Channel Master 4221 (about $30) or one from Radio Shack (RS model ???, $21.95) should easily do the job. You need to get it up on your roof (the Channel Master 4221 with a chimney mount worked fine for others in the Willow Glen area of San Jose).

The problem is to get it above the shielding of the adjacent houses, etc. Because you're so close, you may need a rotator to get the station towers on the East Bay Hills and the stations on Loma Prieta.

I did not find any Omnidirectional UHF antenna's, but I didn't look either. Your local RS or TV store might have a suggestion -- see my SFO comment above.

You might try antennaweb.org (and enter your zip code) to see what their chart says for antenna size and the map will show the directions to all the local towers.

Happy Holidays,
- {Santa;)} Claus

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #363 of 1251 Old 12-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, thanks for the respons.
I have checked antenna web and they say blue, multi directional powered possibly. I think I am going to hit RS or ACE, they seem to be a channel master.

Do you think a bow tie UHF is better than the spider webs?

When I look outside, there are some hills, but I am not deep in a canyon. I don't know where Sutro is, I think that is the one behind San Fran, so that is closer to me than the city.

REgardless, I don't get much of nothin' right now.
post #364 of 1251 Old 12-16-2003, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mt. Sutro is between Twin Peaks and the USF Medical center (from you, it's in the direction of Golden Gate Park). Mt. San Bruno, near SFO, is the other antenna site. You can see the triple tower on Mt. Sutro from 101 (and 280?) as you drive to SF. The major networks broadcast from Sutro.

I'm not sure what you mean by "spider web", but the RS part # is 15-2160 and it's a "Yagi". The CM 4221 is a 4-bay bow tie. The CM 4228 is an 8-bay bow tie for longer range (which you don't need). The Bow tie antennas are more directional. An amplifier probably isn't necessary but a rotator probably is. Try it without one first (maybe unless you want to install it once, then add the rotor and be done with it).

- {Santa;)} Claus

post #365 of 1251 Old 12-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

I am going to try to find one of these tomorrw and check
by spider web, I mean the ones that span out in all directions. Horizontal, but with lines that go out every which way.
post #366 of 1251 Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, that's an Omnidirectional antenna. I doubt that it's "blue" rated, but it might. With the omni, you may not be able to get the stations on Loma Prieta (NBC-11 plus others).

- {Santa;)} Claus

post #367 of 1251 Old 12-17-2003, 06:32 PM

When trying to locate wtmj channel 4 milwaukee analog channel my antenna picks up showtime west on directv??? Any ideas what is going on??

Chris
post #368 of 1251 Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisj1
When trying to locate wtmj channel 4 milwaukee analog channel my antenna picks up showtime west on directv??? Any ideas what is going on??

Chris
Any ideas on what a good Blue rated antenna are?
post #369 of 1251 Old 12-17-2003, 06:49 PM

What are you asking??
post #370 of 1251 Old 12-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

When I look at the channel master site, they don't list things in the blue range and pre-amped.

Any input as to quality blue rated antenna? From antennaweb.org?
post #371 of 1251 Old 12-17-2003, 07:01 PM

I just bought a wineguard hd 7084 and it picks up blue no problem. Go to solidsignal.com
post #372 of 1251 Old 12-17-2003, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

tivoboy,

Where you're located, you don't need an amplified antenna. A Channel Master 4221 (about $30) is more than you'll need to pick up everything in the SF Bay Area. Provided it's roof mounted with a rotator for the stations on the East Bay hills and Loma Prieta (San Jose).

- {Santa;)} Claus

post #373 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 05:56 AM

Has anyone hooked up a cable feed to the HTL-HD?

I am experience something funny, all of my cable chanels come in B/W and very weak. Its like as if the STB did not have the cable plugged into it. I tried the cable feed directly into the tv and if worked fine. What did I do wrong? Was there a configuration that I missed?

BTW the TV is a Sony GWIII 50" and I have OTA and DTV.

Audio-dude
(Quickly becoming a Video-dude)
post #374 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 06:13 AM

Audio-dude,

I have Cable (Comcast analog), OTA and DTV in through the HTL-HD with coax, out to a Hitachi 51SWX w/DVI and have no problems with a picture from any source. Only thing I don't like is I get a fairly loud click when going from one source to another I gues when it changes tuners.

I used the OTA (analog and digi), cable, and DTV setup from the menu screen of the HTL-HD, it has been running for a little over a week no problem.

OG

You may be right -
I may be crazy -
But I just might be the lunatic you're lookin' for
B. Joel
post #375 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by audio-dude
Has anyone hooked up a cable feed to the HTL-HD?

I am experience something funny, all of my cable chanels come in B/W and very weak. Its like as if the STB did not have the cable plugged into it. I tried the cable feed directly into the tv and if worked fine. What did I do wrong? Was there a configuration that I missed?

BTW the TV is a Sony GWIII 50" and I have OTA and DTV.
I don't have a problem either. I still have basic cable and I have it hooked right into the HTL-HD without issues. The picture looks fine.

Are you connecting the cable to the right connector? There are 2 connectors back there, one for antenna and one for cable back there.
post #376 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually 3 connectors: Top to Bottom => OTA Antenna, Cable In, RF/TV out. You should be connected to the middle one for Cable.

Happy Holidays,
- {Santa;)} Claus

post #377 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 01:09 PM

If I get the deal for D* but they do not send me the htl-hd, can I send it back and try again. It sounds like that is the best receiver.
post #378 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Is there such an area for the hughes somewhere?
post #379 of 1251 Old 12-18-2003, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are referring to a screen that will give you OTA signal strength, there isn't one.
post #380 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 11:08 AM

Hello, everybody. I've been following this forum for some time, but never registered until today. Very informative. I purchased the Hughes HD unit 3 weeks ago at BB and was also concerned about the lack of an OTA signal meter. Well, I just got off the phone with a Hughes DTV techie and this is how he summarized the issue: Hughes did not install a hardware signal meter in the HTL-HD because it's a matter of you getting the signal or not getting it, at least in reference to the digital realm. I did not get his name, but the direct number (he picked up on the first ring, no switching involved) is posted ... oh, heck - 954-597-2062!

Personally, I can live with it because the unit seems quite stable and not as quirky as other HD units I bought (and quickly returned). I am installing a CM Yagi, CM 7777 and a rotator in my attic to deal with the fact that I am about 45 miles equally distant from Philly and NYC. I already can get a majority of the Philly stations hooked up to a VHF RS antenna in the attic. With the new setup, I will be able to rotate the YAGI as I please. It's like this, if your station pointing is static, you set it up once and go. If you use a rotator, most likely your rotator will float and you have to reset it. It's a minute more of work either way.

Andy
post #381 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Any thougths about the Samsung and how reception or signal compares to this Hughes HTL-HD?
post #382 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

When using a rotator on a directional antenna, what do it mean that it "floats?" Is this common and happen all the time?
post #383 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

hoops10,

What he's referring to is the fact that, even the best, rotators do not maintain pointing angle accuracy when turning from one direction to another and back again.

Generally this is not a problem unless your trying to pull in a real distant station with a very directional antenna. But the error does build up with use (it's actually called "backlash").

My Channel Master rotator manual states that to reset the pointing angle, you run the rotor to the full counter-clockwise stop and then to the full clockwise stop. Then turn the rotor to the direction that you want to point to.

For the antenna's and distances discussed here, a pointing error of up to 5 degrees will not significantly effect reception. It's just something to keep track of. CM suggests resetting the pointing every 1 to 6 months, depending on use.

I haven't used mine for over 3 years until I got my HTL-HD. When I searched for the OTA stations they all came in without moving the rotor. It was still pointed to the direction I had set it to 3 years ago.

Happy Holidays,
- {Santa;)} Claus

post #384 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 01:50 PM

When frequently changing the direction of an antenna via a rotor, slippage in the motor housing and/or antenna components cause the antenna to waver off its original calibration. When you originally set the antenna, for example, to point at 135 degrees east-south east may now really be 137 or 133 or somewhere entirely different. This problem is more apparent when antennas are placed in windy, outside locations, where the force of wind adds additional stress on antenna components. Re-calibration is a periodic job. I learned all this as a kid watching my father mount and maintain a roof antenna so we could get Philly, NY and Jersey stations from the comfort of our tv room.

It was truly hi-tech 35 years ago.

Andy
post #385 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 09:02 PM

Not as good from several people I spoke with who have used both. The HTLHD is particularly good in addressing multipath. If your problem is weak strength from far stations, both boxes might be equal.

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoboy
Any thougths about the Samsung and how reception or signal compares to this Hughes HTL-HD?
post #386 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I remember my dad mounting an antenna on the highest tree on a hill behind our house and using a rotator and tube amp to pull in quite a few stations. We use to get 2 stations before that (NBC and CBS) and after we had 7 or 8 stations. This was in the 60's and the neighbors use to come over and watch Pittsburgh Pirate games on weekends. We lived in West Virginia. But the first day the cable guy came knocking on the door and explained the benefits of cable my dad was sold. We also had the first color tv in our neighborhood. Must be where I get my upgraditis. Too bad he didn't live long enough to appreciate satellite and hi-def. Man, I am getting old.:)
post #387 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 10:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

johnbe - I can relate!

John
post #388 of 1251 Old 12-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HD_JUNKIE
Not as good from several people I spoke with who have used both. The HTLHD is particularly good in addressing multipath. If your problem is weak strength from far stations, both boxes might be equal.
hey, could you elaborat, or point me in their direction?
post #389 of 1251 Old 12-20-2003, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CT_Wiebe
Actually 3 connectors: Top to Bottom => OTA Antenna, Cable In, RF/TV out. You should be connected to the middle one for Cable.

Happy Holidays,
- {Santa;)} Claus
I have another dish which is connected to its own receiver and which has composite outputs for stereo sound and video. The HTL-HD is connected to the plasma via DVI. Can I connect the output of the receiver of the other dish into the cable in of the HTL-HD so that I can benefit from the DVI connection.

Thanks
post #390 of 1251 Old 12-20-2003, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

patrickjerry,

No! And why would you want to?

The HTL-HD has a much better tuner that your other receiver. It sounds like you're trying to connect both receivers to the Plasma. If that's correct, why? It won't improve the picture.

Is it connected to a Dish Network (E*) dish? Do you have both E* and D* (DirecTV) dishes? If you don't have D*, why did you buy the HTL-HD? E* has it's own, equivalent, versions of HDTV receivers.

The "other" receiver's output is either a "pass-through" or an RF output similar to a VCR's which is tuned to OTA channel 3 or 4. If it's a pass-through, then it's another Satellite Output and is the wrong frequency for the Cable Input of the HTL-HD. If it's a VCR type, then it should be pluged into the "ANT IN" input (because it's at an OTA frequency) and you will loose your OTA connection to your rooftop antenna (if you have one).

If my assumption is incorrect, then see my opening statement. You did say the "other" receiver is connected to a "dish" and not cable.

Happy Holidays,
- {Santa;)} Claus

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page