Hughes HTL-HD! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, it actually looks like D* extended the offer until 6/30/04 since the last time I checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

After reading the ad, it just says directv hd receiver. Do you get a choice as to which kind? Or is the hd receiver included in the deal the Hughes HTL-HD?
post #453 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 01:08 PM

No, when you talk to a CSR they tell you that there is now way to know which one you will get. You can always send it back and try again at D*'s expense if you don't get the one you want. The two you can get are the HTL-HD or the Sammy with DVI (don't know the model). I received the HTL-HD.
post #454 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

You either get the Samsung TS-160, or the Hughes HTL-HD. It seems like the majority get the Hughes (that's the one I just got) though. It's almost kind of fun not knowing which one you'll get, until it arrives!
post #455 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 05:40 PM

I just completed the installation on my D* package this morning. I've been a customer since shortly after they came on-line and had no problems getting the $399 upgrade. I returned a Samsung OTA tuner which had cost me nearly the same amount.

I received the Hughes HD tuner....absolutely the best D* tuner I've ever had!

Bob
post #456 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

I already have the multi-sat dish (oval triple lnb) installed. So if I got the deal would I just be getting the hd receiver for $399?
post #457 of 1251 Old 12-31-2003, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

A professional install also comes with the deal. Since, you already have the oval dish then I doubt you'd get another one. However, if you now need more than four outputs, a cascadable 4x8 multiswitch is also included. The CSR also said that if I was going to move a regular receiver to another room, that would also be included.
post #458 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 04:50 AM

Just went and bought the HTL to replace a dead HD100. Nice unit, good features, easy set up...but I have a problem. My HD programs...are not my HD programs...ESPH is on the guide, but thats not what is there...I also noticed that there is no audio on any of the HD listed shows. All other features work. All other channels work. Dont know if this is the right forum, but I think I need HD help.

Pete B.
post #459 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 06:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by probepro
I've been following this thread, but it's still not clear to me if this STB can receive HD OTA signals. Also, what is ATSC?
Your kidding right?

Jason
post #460 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 06:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by hoops10
I already have the multi-sat dish (oval triple lnb) installed. So if I got the deal would I just be getting the hd receiver for $399?
I have the oval dish already too. they just send another dish and a integrated triple LNB along with your hughes, or samsung. When the installer shows up he will swap everything if he doesnt have a sat c on his truck. I like the new Hughes

I do the math in my head because it's faster, then I use a calculator to check my work!
post #461 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pbeyda
Just went and bought the HTL to replace a dead HD100. Nice unit, good features, easy set up...but I have a problem. My HD programs...are not my HD programs...ESPH is on the guide, but thats not what is there...I also noticed that there is no audio on any of the HD listed shows. All other features work. All other channels work. Dont know if this is the right forum, but I think I need HD help.
Have you set up the audio to output Dolby Digital? It automatically defaults to PCM. Not sure what is going on with your ESPH. What channel comes up instead?
post #462 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 11:15 AM

I am looking for some HD questions. I have a Tosh57H81 with NO DVI/Firewire connection. I do have open component video connections. I am looking at the DirecTV special that includes (maybe) the Hughes HTL-HD unit. If I use the component video out to my TV, will I have HD ? My concern is that I'll be missing something since I don't have DVI. Also, If I'm watching a non HD channel and I switch to HDNET, will the signal convert or do I have to make some manual dip swich setting on the receiver to go from non-HD to HD ?
post #463 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

My Mitsubishi doesn't have a DVI Input either. You can run Component Cables from the Receiver to the TV, and have true HD (that's what I'm doing). All "switching" between HD and SD is done automatically within the Receiver.
post #464 of 1251 Old 01-01-2004, 12:01 PM

scrabtree,
I have a Toshiba TN50X81. I got the HD-HTL to solve the specific problem you mention. I had a DTC-100 receiver. If I was watching a program on Video 1 and wanted to watch it on Colorstream, I had to do the following:
1. Turn on my stereo receiver.
2. Switch from SD to HD.

This was problematic, because if I forgot to switch back, I would miss a TIVO recording, because the SD was off. Also, if i wanted to watch OTA, I had to switch inputs.

Now, with the HD-HTL, I can go to Colorstream, turn on my stereo receiver and select up four different ways to watch the same channel. For example, I can look in the Channel Guide and see Channel 13 - Directv, Antenna/Analog, Cable/Analog, Antenna/Digital (13-1, 13-2). I don't screw up TIVO recordings, because SD and HD are output at the same time.

Also, TIVO can change channels on the receiver using serial, vice IR. The DTC-100 didn't have a serial input.

One thing I don't like is I don't get guide info for the cable channels.
post #465 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Two things I've noticed with my HTL-HD.

Three times the box has locked up and then did a reboot which ended up with recreating the channel list. I see in threads above that this can happen when switching from OTA to DirecTV channels. And is possibly related to the lack of PSIP data. Anyone know if the next firmware update will fix this?

The other problem may not be box related. I have noticed that the sound will dropout for a second or two while watching OTA, noticed it on my ABC affiliate. I suspect that it is the station since this doesn't happen with DirecTV channels.
Everything else considerd, this box works great for me.

Now if I can only get my CBS affiliate to broadcast the Super Bowl in HD.
post #466 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 06:15 AM

I've had the lock up issue jdspencer describes below 3 times since I installed it a week ago. Two times it rebooted and recreated the channel list the third time it came back fine after about a minute. I'm going to call Hughes next week to see if the 1.08 release will correct the problem. If not, I will press them to send me a new unit. It seems to do it if I am changing channels quickly or in the guide and surfing quickly.
post #467 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mine has locked up twice in two days (I've only had it two days now). The first time, it did a reboot. The second time, it paused for about 20 seconds, and then all the buttons I pressed were activated all at once. I don't have an antenna, so this isn't an issue with switching from OTA to DTV channels.
post #468 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 08:54 AM

I also have had one lock-up that required me to power cycle the unit at the box. (none of the remote keys worked) It happened when I was moving thru the surf menu. I am only using it for D* and have no OTA hooked up. This is the first lock up in 3 weeks.
post #469 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

When this happens, what is the best method to recover?
1. Leave it alone.
2. Press power button, nothing happens right away but maybe this starts the recovery.
3. Some other secret combination of button presses, either on the remote or the front panel.

The other thing I noticed after a reboot is that the channels I had hidden were now visible.
post #470 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 03:46 PM

Getting a new unit will most likely not solve your problem. these units (lg, sony, and huges) are all made by lg and have the same problems. word has it that a firmware update will be sent out by directv sometime in Q104 (hopefully by march).

However, if it does not cost you anything but time then it might be worth it.
post #471 of 1251 Old 01-02-2004, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Taking a slightly different path with the HTL-HD. I know of the service menu that allows you to reset the NVRAM and was wondering if there are any other ones that may be useful?

I ask because the 4:3 output of the unit is different than what my Mits TV displays. It's visibly narrower than the TVs and doesn't look quite right. I feed the TV with a signal from either its internal tuner or SD from DirecTV receiver I get a width of 33.25 inches with a display mode of Narrow, that computes to 1.415:1 aspect ratio. When I feed it an SD source from the HTL-HD in Normal the image is only 32.625 inches or an aspect ratio of 1.388:1. The heights look fine. So bottom line is, is there an adjustment that can be made to the SD output of the HTL-HD? Now I realize that it is the TV that's incorrect, but the problem is that I've gotten used to the slightly wider TV version of 4:3, probably from watching in 16:9 mode too much, and would like to make the HD receiver the same if possible.
post #472 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
So bottom line is, is there an adjustment that can be made to the SD output of the HTL-HD?
Probably not. But you were not clear about how you are feeding SD from the HTL-HD to your Mits TV. If you are using a high-def connection (component, RGBHV, DVI) you should try different format conversions in the HTL-HD to see if that makes a difference (i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i/native).

The other thing to try is an NTSC connection to your Mits (S-video or composite, preferably S-video). Your TV may well handle that quite differently than it handles its high-def inputs. High-def TV sets typically have their own internal line doubler/scaler, and that may or may not produce superior results to the HTL-HD's scaler (480i->whatever).

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #473 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried component and s-video to the Mits from the HTL-HD. I've come to the conclusion that it the TV that is incorrect. I'll look into checking the overscan for it. Thanks for the info. Because of all the different combinations involved with the formats on the HTL and the TV's mode, I'm not going to worry about it. :)

I just want my CBS affiliate to broadcast the Super Bowl in HD. Then it won't matter what the 4:3 looks like. :D
post #474 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer

I ask because the 4:3 output of the unit is different than what my Mits TV displays. It's visibly narrower than the TVs and doesn't look quite right. I feed the TV with a signal from either its internal tuner or SD from DirecTV receiver I get a width of 33.25 inches with a display mode of Narrow, that computes to 1.415:1 aspect ratio. When I feed it an SD source from the HTL-HD in Normal the image is only 32.625 inches or an aspect ratio of 1.388:1. The heights look fine. So bottom line is, is there an adjustment that can be made to the SD output of the HTL-HD? Now I realize that it is the TV that's incorrect, but the problem is that I've gotten used to the slightly wider TV version of 4:3, probably from watching in 16:9 mode too much, and would like to make the HD receiver the same if possible.
It is more than likely that your TV has separate geometry/convergence as well as overscan adjustments for NTSC and ATSC. I know my Mits did. (I had the 46805). You can go into the service menu in the Mitsubishi and adjust the overscan to widen the picture, but I would leave it up to you if you want to do so. A great deal of info on all Mitsubishi models and these types of adjustments can be found at www.***************.com.

SMK
post #475 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 08:27 AM

Is there a functionality to disable the RF modulator on this box? I got one at CC last night after lurking here for a couple months, and it's hooked up just dandy except that I can't use the "out to TV" RF to go into the VCR because I want the VCR to be able to record using its tuner when the HTLHD is on and tuned to something else. My just-replaced GCEBO did this modulator disable with the "input" button on the remote, other units say something like TV/Sat similar to TV/VCR switching on a VCR, but the underlying assumption here seems to be that the HTLHD will be the single source of a/v pleasure in one's home...

No lockups yet, still on 1.06 fw, will probably compare HBOHD in 1080i to Minority Report DVD in 480p in a couple hours, then maybe a football game on ABC. Must have HD Superbowl party!!
post #476 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 08:53 AM

connect to the vcr first then the htld.
post #477 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Go to Menu > Setup > Out to TV, then change the Loop Through entry to Antenna, it's probably on Cable for you. If it is on Cable then you could probably use that connector in the back for your output.
post #478 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 12:08 PM

I should have said that I had a splitter for avoiding this issue between my VCR and digital recorder, but I didn't want to ramble on. Right now the splitter is on the cable-tv feed, distributing to VCR and Showstopper but the HTLHD is not getting a cable-tv feed (just OTA) and its "out to tv" isn't going anywhere either. I had set the Loop Through to cable, but that is only effective when the HTLHD is turned off, unless there is some way to disable the modulator - thus my question :)

It's kind of a minor annoyance, not like I want to watch HDTV through the RF feed anyway, but I was curious if there was some hidden feature not in the manual to disable the modulator just like all VCRs and most other sat boxes have. Since the way I have it isn't really keeping me from doing anything other than watching (basic) cable though the HTLHD, someday at my convenience I will get another/3-way splitter to enable that.

Not that impressed with HBOHD's 1080i Minority Report compared to the OAR DVD (480p), HBO is chopping off the sides enough to make it "full-frame". Hockey on HDNET looks pretty good though, and the wildcard games start on ABC in an hour.
post #479 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 04:21 PM

I, too, have had the lock up problem JdSpencer, Yogi, and Audiom3 describe. It has happened twice, both times it reboots the channel directory. It has happened as I am switching channels furiously. I have an OTA connection, but it happened while I was switching from one D* channel to another.

I need help though, I have no idea what a firmware update is or how to implement it. Any help will be appreciated. I have also heard that the firmware 1.07? has something to give me an OTA signal meter....is this correct??

Thanks in advance.
post #480 of 1251 Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 PM

How do you do the NVRAM Reset.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page