AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes HTL-HD!

142K views 1K replies 252 participants last post by  Ken H 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any specifications on this unit? How does it compare with the New LG 3200A and Sony SAT 300 as far as features?

#427 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
the HD receiver adds black side bars to 480i 4:3 content.
The sidebars added by the HTL-HD can be configured to be gray or black. It's in the menu under "Preferences". Gray helps even out the burn-in on plasma and CRT TV sets.

#428 ·
I normally prefer the non-linear stretch modes that zoom a little and stretch more at the sides. Your Mitsubishi gives you this for 480p so that would be the preferred for me and why I would have SD set to remain at 480p. However, with the 1080i you just get the expand (which is the linear stretch). I still prefer having this vs. watching an HD channel that has the sidebars. I use this a lot now since the upconverted SD on OTA HD channels looks much better than regualr SD.

You'll see some other aspect ratio controls with your HTL-HD if you get a letterboxed 480i/p signal like on a Fox OTA channel. I believe then it gives you a sqeeze option that zooms the letterboxed 480p vertically to properly fit the 16:9 ratio.

#430 ·
I just saw it today at CC for $499. The rep new nothing of a internet price and said $499 is reg price. It was a nice looking unit with a silver faceplate. You could easily see the channel # on the front panel, which also shows the scan selection. Still wish this was a remote option as I would like to toggle, from time to time, between 1080i and 720p. My biggest concern, if I understand this, is its ability, or lack thereof, to play HD and SD simutaneously. With my RCA DTC100, if my fetch button is in HD, no output to the other set in the kitchen unless I go off the HD in the family room. If this is the case with this unit, it might not be the best for me. Otherwise, I like it a lot. After viewing the HDNET Cedia show, however, I think I might wait for the soon to release RCA DTC210 to hit the market. It also has optical and COAX(which I prefer) and NOW includes component out, which the DTC100 lacked. Plus, true 720p output for a future DLP projector. Of course, RCA may have a similar setup to Hughes in regard to selectable scan rates from remote and simultan. viewing issues....Guess i will have to wait. Anyone out there familar with this new RCA unit and how it will compare to Hughes????

#431 ·
The HTL-HD will always output SD simultaneously with the HD. You can view SD in your Kitchen at the same time as HD.

Realize also that it has a variable mode so that it will feed 720p broadcasts to your monitor at 720p and 1080i broadcasts at 1080i - no need to toggle back and forth.

#433 ·
Having previously had a Mitsubishi HD TV. You are going to find 480p via component should be much better than 480i via s-video. Although Mitsubishi has improved their line doubler in the last few models. I assume the box is doing the de-interlacing digitally vs. on the analog feed as would your Mitsubishi.

#434 ·
I have my HTL-HD hooked up to a InFocus 7200. I received my DVI adapter from Lindy today and hooked it up. After 15 min of switching between DVI and component viewing HDNet, I cannot see any difference between the picture. I have the HTL-HD set to 'Easy DVI' which scales it to 720p on the InFocus. Are there other settings I could use on either the HTL-HD for IF 7200 that would make the DVI any better than the component? They both look fantastic but I don't see any difference to justify all the hype over DVI

#435 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wmccain
The sidebars added by the HTL-HD can be configured to be gray or black. It's in the menu under "Preferences". Gray helps even out the burn-in on plasma and CRT TV sets.
I looked for this under preferences. I didn't see it on my HD300. Gray comes through on my CBS HDTV and I like it. (I know, those bars are being broadcast). I would like to try this on SD directv. Which setting is it?

Thanks.

Gary

#437 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Loker
On my LG it is under preferences - advanced - matte color
Ok, same on mine. I tried turning that to gray and nothing happened. I still have black vertical bars on SD 4:3.

Gary

#438 ·
It will do nothing on 4:3 480i or 480p (no ratio control).

However, a good test on the sidebar color is on ESPNHD. It ratio and it will unstretch ESPN and give you the 4:3 image with the sidebars (whichever color you selected).

What mode do you have your box in - if you are in a variable mode or native and you have the black bars for SD it is your TV inserting them (have TV in 4:3 mode for 480i/p). If you want the box to add the bars then set the box to 1080i (or 720p) only mode. You will find you have a lot of aspect controls then available (and the 4:3 mode will have the selected color).

#439 ·
Note: In playing with the box for the above post - I now see my post earlier today is wrong. For 480i/p sources if you have the box set to upconvert to HD resolution it gives you a lot of aspect ratio control (panoramic, multiple levels of Cinema zoom etc. I am really going to have to compare the quality on the box upconverting vs. my plasma (Pioneer 503cmx).

#441 ·
Can we get back to the price of this device for a second? cc advertises online at 499. where did the 369 go? its a great value at 369. and ok at 499 compared to HD300. Anyone know where I can get this device for 369?

#442 ·
Thanks Chris for update. My setup for using my TV in the kitchen is by running a coaxial from TV out from my present RCA DTC100, not from a long s video run, and the RCA will not play in the kitchen while HD switch is on in family room. I take it that this Hughes will work with just the TV out ! Thanks again..Everett

#445 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JFR0317
Try checking Best Buy. I found one there for only slightly more than your target price.
I was in a Best Buy in NJ and was surprised to see they raised their price on the HTL-HD to $499, matching CC's price. I think they did this because they were still selling the E86 @ $399 and if you compare the 2, nobody would ever buy the E86 over the HTL-HD, if they were the same price.

But as jdspencer said, get the deal from Directv, if you can. I cannot, unfortunately, as I am stuck under the Pegasus tirany.

#446 ·
I am already a D*V subscriber. My HD100 just fried and I want to replace it at a "medium" cost. By the way does anyone know of a Sony HD100 that just starts "chriping" like a bird at plugin. No power on unit. Its just a bird like sound.

#447 ·
Quote:
I am already a D*V subscriber. My HD100 just fried and I want to replace it at a "medium" cost. By the way does anyone know of a Sony HD100 that just starts "chriping" like a bird at plugin. No power on unit. Its just a bird like sound.

I'd give DTV a call anyway. They're pretty good about taking care of their customers. I was with them for almost 5 years, and then disconnected them to give HD Cable a try (since it was new in my area). It took me 3 weeks before I'd had enough of Com(munist)Cast, so I switched back, and they gave me the $399 upgrade - even though I *technically* wasn't an existing customer anymore. I received the Hughes HTL-HD yesterday, and it's being installed this afternoon. I can't wait to watch DTV HD tonight.

#448 ·
I just went to BB and also found the price was raised to $499. I was there last weekend and there was no tag but I was verbally told they were $399. Of course the sales guy I talked to today had no clue about a $399 price, refused to look into it and just pointed to the tag. I guess I'm going with the D* offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.