Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 1193 Old 11-05-2003, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please post all VOOM end user hardware comments in this topic.

A limited amount of non-user comments will be allowed, questions in particular. Other comments (needless bashing) will be deleted. The other VOOM topics are still open, if one feels the need.

There is a VOOM Programming topic in the HDTV Programming Forum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1193 Old 11-05-2003, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Maybe we can start this by talking about the OTA problem (if there is one). Ken Ross, didn't have an 8VSB card, but I think he was the only one with that problem.

If you have voom installed, please list your general location and the status of your OTA channels.

I live in Central WI, and 3 of the 5 locals are showing up in the guide with programming information, but I can't tune any of them.
post #3 of 1193 Old 11-05-2003, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Well I was the lucky one that was struggling with a box that I thought had an 8VSB module. You have to see the back of the unit to appreciate how easily you can be fooled. With a UHF connector labeled "UHF", along with an antenna graphic, it sure looks like that's the UHF antenna input...it isn't.

At any rate, there are still some issues with the OTA reception. It appears my channel mapping is a bit incomplete here in the N.Y. area. ABC DT should map out to 7.1 & 7.2, but I only get 7.1. Additionally there are some audio problems with some OTA channels tuning in with picture but no sound. By using the channel up/channel down button, you can eventually get these channels to tune in with sound. I also noticed that ABC HD (a 720p channel) looked sharper on the Sony HD200 for reasons unknown. Both boxes were outputting 1080i and comparisons were made component to component. When I put both boxes in the 720p mode, the Sony still looked a bit crisper than the VOOM box.

Moving on to SD channels, I compared PQ of most SD channels tonight that showed up on both services (again component to component). Results were a bit mixed. Some channels looked a bit sharper with less color smear on VOOM and others looked a bit sharper on D*. I also noticed tonight that Discovery HD's "Extreme Machines" appeared a bit sharper on D* than it did on VOOM. It seemed that much of the material on this show was really upconverted than true HD and, as a result, didn't look stellar on either service. I still gave the edge to D* for this test. This is somewhat different than I saw last night. It's possible that D* eased up a bit on compression tonight as we've seen in the past. This is such a variable from day to day. This is why it's important to make these observations over a period of time.

In comparing Showtime HD tonight, it was really tough to pick them apart. I suspect in a blind A/B test, I'd guess right 50% of the time, meaning I'd call it a draw.

Eventually I may sit down and actually watch content! But I think it's important initially to make determinations on some of these technical issues before delving in further. BTW, I mentioned to VOOM that some SD channels have slightly improper aspect ratios. If your TV has little overscan, you'll notice that many of their SD channels don't quite have the right vertical height and, as a result, show thin black bars on the top and bottom. A handful of the SD channels are fine and show no evidence of this. If your TV has more overscan, you'll probably never notice this.

Forgot to mention, we had some pretty rough weather here tonight and I had no loss of signal on VOOM. There was also no loss of signal on D*. So I still can't say which service has less rain fade, they both made it through tonight. At the height of the storm, my VOOM signal dropped from 59 to 33 and my D* signal went from almost pinned to somewhat below the "normal" area on the Sony HD200.
post #4 of 1193 Old 11-05-2003, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Additionally there are some audio problems with some OTA channels tuning in with picture but no sound. By using the channel up/channel down button, you can eventually get these channels to tune in with sound.
I've seen this problem on the Satellite Channels also. Wilt mentioned in the Yahoo group he was aware of it, and a fix is on the way.
Quote:
BTW, I mentioned to VOOM that some SD channels have slightly improper aspect ratios. If your TV has little overscan, you'll notice that many of their SD channels don't quite have the right vertical height and, as a result, show thin black bars on the top and bottom. A handful of the SD channels are fine and show no evidence of this. If your TV has more overscan, you'll probably never notice this.
I noticed this on some SD channels also. It is very noticable on my 119" screen. Some of the channels have about 3" black bars at the top and the bottom.
post #5 of 1193 Old 11-05-2003, 08:58 PM

My installer did a great job and certainly knew what he was doing.

Also installed a Wingard HD7082 instead of the Stealth.

He also installed the module for over the air -- 8VSB card, but sadly VOOM's mapping is still not correct - in fact the stations showing are not for my area and cannot be revved.

Spoke with Voom and they told me they are working on that known problem of mapping.

I have my box connected with DVI and it does look better on some stations than D*tv. Will continue to compare

Cheers
Geoffrey
post #6 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Install is set for today - my fingers are crossed and I will be watching for the missing module.

If anyone has anything else they noticed recently that I need to be aware of during my install, please post it ASAP so I can make sure I don't miss it - people here in S FL are a little lazy, to say the least, and getting them to do anything properly is a real chore. Getting them to come back a second time is even harder (I had to call the local D* installer at least six times to get him to come back with a 4x8 switch for my sister's house - D* called him at least that many times as well, or so they say).
post #7 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 03:55 AM

I too have incorrect OTA channel mapping for the Cleveland area. Of five channels in the guide, I can tune in only two (3 and 5), and three others (25,43,61) are missing. I've also run into the missing audio problem when changing OTA channels. I wonder if they'll have to download new software, or simply periodically update the map similar to the way the EPG is updated.

Anyone else notice picture is offset right? Setting horizontal position to -15 only partially compensates. All other video sources are centered, so it's not my TV.

I wonder if we can get a consensus as to whether it's worth buying a DVI cable. There's an ongoing debate on forums for other equipment as to whether or not there's a PQ different between component and DVI connections. Obviously it depends on the relative quality of the STB and TV video DACs.
post #8 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tech, I'll zero in on the DVI/component comparison when I get home, but I can tell you there was a difference. My recollection was that on very fine vertical lines in a nicely detailed HD broadcast, you could see a bit of shimmering on component along with a bit of edginess. On the DVI this all but disappeared. My only problem is I have no DVI switcher and my DVI input is taken up by the Sony HD200, so I'm forced to use component for VOOM. I won't invest in one until I'm sure I'm keeping the service.

I'll also check the centering. I think I did notice it with SD channels which appeared to have a wider black bar on the left than the right which would confirm your shift to the right. You don't notice it with 16:9 material, but I'm wondering if that too is offset. I'll check that too on Showtime HD and Discovery HD. I'm still trying to figure out why Discovery HD looked a bit better last night on D* even though most of the material looked like upconverts on both systems. Man, it's really tough being anal.

One thing I failed to mention on this aspect ratio thing. The problem is not only that the picture fails to fill the screen top to bottom, but the VOOM SD picture where this problem exists, is actually cutting off a bit of the picture on the top & bottom. It's easy to see if you tune to a channel like CSPAN on both D* and VOOM. Since many of the shots are stationary for so long, it gives you a good opportunity to see both the sizing issue and the cut off content. I'm sure once they get the sizing correct, the missing picture information will be solved along with it.
post #9 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tech, I'll zero in on the DVI/component comparison when I get home, but I can tell you there was a difference. My recollection was that on very fine vertical lines in a nicely detailed HD broadcast, you could see a bit of shimmering on component along with a bit of edginess. On the DVI this all but disappeared. My only problem is I have no DVI switcher and my DVI input is taken up by the Sony HD200, so I'm forced to use component for VOOM. I won't invest in one until I'm sure I'm keeping the service.
Just a quick question about a DVI cable. Can you just buy any computer DVI cable to hook up a satellite box using DVI, or do you need a special cable used exclusively for HDTV ?

Thanks,

Scott
post #10 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure, Scott, but here's a great primer on DVI and maybe that will help you: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/D...or_cables.html (scroll down a little for the useful info)
post #11 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 07:12 AM

Got my DVI cable from BetterCables - not cheap but very happy with it. There are several out there less expensive

Wish there was a DVI switcher out there so I could hook my DVD and the VOOM. Took the DVI cable from DVD and using it on the Voom.
post #12 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Getting a bit OT here, but there are several DVI switchers... pacificcable.com has a new one out soon (next week?). Many are waiting for someone to test this since other ones have failed the HDCP test or had crappy (wired) remotes, etc.

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #13 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

post #14 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 09:00 AM
mfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still no OTA thru the Voom STB (Northern California). I have all the channel mappings but no audio or video. I did receive the 8VSB with the install.

marty
post #15 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 09:20 AM

I just received a call from Installs to check on how well Voom is working. I told him it's working well except for the OTA issue. He said that Motorola is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. If they're smart, they'll change the software so that the box scans for local channels like other STBs.
post #16 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Installer is here working as I type. I'll report more when I know. He doesn't know much about Voom, but is a helpful guy and is absorbing everything I am telling him. :D
post #17 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good luck Hofstra.
post #18 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by techweb
If they're smart, they'll change the software so that the box scans for local channels like other STBs.
Now that would be the greatest thing esp. when there are stations out there on the fring but not connected to the zip code for voom mapping.

Maybe we should ask for this as we are in the front line so to speak.

Geoffrey
post #19 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this is the futrue plan. Wilt mentioned that they tried something, but it looks like it isn't working, and they might go the scan route in the future.
post #20 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if this is something that a software download could change. It might require something more than that, I'm not sure.
post #21 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OTA 8VSB Reception- I ran a splitter between my Sony HD200 and the VOOM box to check both PQ and reception in an A/B test. Interestingly and to me surprisingly, the VOOM module has somewhat better multipath rejection. There were a number of times the HD200 would suffer picture breakups on an otherwise strong Long Island HD channel while the VOOM box would show far fewer breakups. I couldn't check sensitivity since there really are no weak OTA channels in my area, and I'm limited by the mapping of the VOOM box.

PQ was pretty close except for the fact that last night I noticed ABC HD looked somewhat better on the HD200 (sharper). I'm not sure if this just has something to do with how the VOOM box handles 720p, but the result was the same whether I had both boxes outputtting 1080i or 720p.
post #22 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Innova
I think this is the futrue plan. Wilt mentioned that they tried something, but it looks like it isn't working, and they might go the scan route in the future.

I am a long time Cablevision cable customer, and am getting VOOM installed tommorrow. Let me tell you with Wilt on the problem it will get fixed in good time. I know it may be taking longer than all of us may be happy waiting, but he will get the OTA problem fixed. Don't forget you are dealing with the guy in charge of technology, and he will get a fix done. Believe me. This is not like dealing with some tech on the phone who has no idea what they are doing.

I agree they should use a scanning feature instead of mapping, and that may indeed be the fix. I am just telling you to be patient, Wilt will get it done. I have seen him in action many times before.

Scott
post #23 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Got the install done - all is working as advertised. :D Full report later.
post #24 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:31 PM

To receive the VOOM DBS signal, in what direction is the dish located? I am especially interested since I can't get DirecTV or Dish with my unit's eastern exposure.

Kudos to all that have shared their AV knowledge on here and especially to Dave and Ken for making this site the #1 source of valuable AV consumer info.
post #25 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

61.5 is its orbital slot. Go to this link and click on your geographic location on the map and it will tell you azimuth and elevation: http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/rain1.shtml
post #26 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Herb, I believe my VOOM dish is pointing about 90 degrees more southerly than my D* dish. I think it's in the same general direction as several of the Dish birds.
post #27 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:46 PM

Thanks. Maybe VOOM will work. I have DirecTV HD at my home but can't get it at my beach apt. since it is on the 17th floor looking due east. Anyone else with this situation?

Kudos to all that have shared their AV knowledge on here and especially to Dave and Ken for making this site the #1 source of valuable AV consumer info.
post #28 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 01:50 PM

I noticed on the chart that EchoStar shares the same satellite. Is that right?

post #29 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like I've lost my DD again. I tuned to Discovery HD on both D* and VOOM, and it's in DD on D* but I get Pro Logic on VOOM.
post #30 of 1193 Old 11-06-2003, 02:55 PM

Just ordered the VOOM. Will be installed next Friday. Now the question is do I move my RCA 38310 or L50000 to the beach apartment. Leaning towards the 38310 since the area is smaller and has more ambivalent light. I'll report on the install, etc.

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page