LG LST-3510A DVI/DVD/HDTV Impressions - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1186 Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
6 goddamn years and still running strong!
But VCDs don't work on it anymore.
Only changed the batteries twice since I've owned it.
Who else's is still alive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1186 Old 05-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Liked: 32
Not using mine but it still works. I love the LG stuff!
post #1173 of 1186 Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverpricedCables View Post

6 goddamn years and still running strong!
But VCDs don't work on it anymore.
Only changed the batteries twice since I've owned it.
Who else's is still alive?

Well, half-and-half.

Let's see... I may have bought mine in 2003, but definitely by 2004. So that's 7 years, possibly 8?

I still use the ATSC receiver of my 3510A to watch HD on my projector over component cables. The tuner is relatively sensitive and outperforms all my SONY product's by miles, and the schedule / content guide is WAY better too.

I run the older [original] firmware [that can't go to Channel 2 unless it's by using CH- or CH+] even though VelociRacer gave me lots of help a while back, obtaining a firmware update.

The DVD is another story, although it's probably not LG's fault.

I bought a PS3 a few years ago, and semi-retired the 3510A except for use as receiver. Once I no longer depended on it for DVDs, I applied the REGION change CD. It worked, and I was able to play some Region 2 DVDs in it. Problem is the quality wasn't very good played on my NTSC/ATSC equipment. Eventually I found another solution to play these.

I must have applied the Region change too many times or something [apparently there was a limit] because when I tried to go back to Region 1, [sometimes Region 0 didn't work for my R1 disks] it stopped playing anything at all.

I was going to try applying the firmware update as a fix for this, but never wanted to risk losing the ATSC function, so I chickened out.

Once I learned how to transcode my Region 2 disks, the DVD in the 3510A was academic because the quality was so much higher transcoded, that I wouldn't consider going back.

Maybe I'll try newer firmware at some point, but it still works for what I do with it, so right now it doesn't matter. It has outlasted my 57" SONY XBR rear projection set [by 2 years already] and I expect it will still be truck'n after a decade.

P.S. - Anyone with a suggestion on how to rehabilitate the DVD player, I'd love to hear it. I know there was a download to reset the Region Count in a newer LG model, but I wasn't sure if it would apply ok to mine, so I never tried it.
post #1174 of 1186 Old 05-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Herk, why didn't you just set it to region "0" so it would be able to play all DVDs?
Don't use your PS3 to play DVDs, that'll burn out the laser!
post #1175 of 1186 Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

This is a proven FACT? If so it just proves that the PS3 is a POS. And a MAJOR class action law suit will ensue.
post #1176 of 1186 Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Not using mine but it still works. I love the LG stuff!

i got mine in 03 or 04 can't remember which. used it up until a year ago. i keep it for my backup tuner.
post #1177 of 1186 Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverpricedCables View Post

Herk, why didn't you just set it to region "0" so it would be able to play all DVDs?

The 3510A would not play all DVDs when set to region 0. Took me a while to figure that out, but some titles would only play when the player was actually set to their region. I just screwed up by switching regions too much. Probably I should have known there was a limit, but I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

This is a proven FACT? If so it just proves that the PS3 is a POS. And a MAJOR class action law suit will ensue.

On the PS3 laser... if it burns out, so be it. I bought it to be a Blu-Ray / DVD player. I don't do gaming on it. It is about the best Blu-Ray player on the market. Has tech and transcoding features / options [especially audio] I do not find in any other player. It upconverts DVDs pretty well, but if the DVD is not 16x9 enhanced, I usually transcode it on the PC first, then play it on the PS3 via DLNA... the quality is so much better. I love the BlueTooth remote... you can use it without "pointing it" at the PS3 - indispensable if you ask me. If it had the option to update the Blu-Ray decryption code list without updating the PS3 OS, I would be ecstatic... I do not want to give up the "Other OS" feature they took away, so I can't run the latest firmware any more.

Also, it's turned out to be a much better MediaPlayer than I expected. About half the time [maybe more] I use it to play saved DLNA content via PS3 Media Server from my local server.

DLNA is so cool... I can play video on any TV in the whole house over my LAN - so excellent. [that has nothing to do with the PS3 especially - it's hooked to the projector in my home theater setup]

Anyway - I'm off topic by responding to these. The point in all this is - My 3510A still plays a useful part by being the ATSC HD broadcast receiver for my home theater projector. I'd fix the DVD portion if it wasn't too risky, but it's not a deal breaker to keep going the way I am.
post #1178 of 1186 Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM

7 years and going. ATSC tuner only, DVD died 3-4 years ago. Opened it and could not see anything obviously wrong with it. Any info on fixing would be great. But not holding my breath.

Sorry I haven't updated the fileshare link to the firmware in a while. I still have all firmware and instructions and plan on posting them again soon...

I use a HTPC on the same screen as the LG so it serves all other DVD/media player duties.

Not sure it was worth the $450 price when it came out in late 2003 early 2004. Since the DVD dies within a few years, if you spend more than $250, you paid too much
post #1179 of 1186 Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The DVD went out on mine as well.
post #1180 of 1186 Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Mine is just sitting on a shelf, all my TVs have a built in tuner now and I have more than enough DVD players. Everything worked the last time I tried it maybe 10?? months ago. Personally I never really cared for the DVD player part, didn't think it had the best picture quality and didn't care for the feature set. Much prefer my Sony and Pioneer DVD players.
This thing is like a tank, in both size and weight, they don't make em' like this anymore
post #1181 of 1186 Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How good is the ATSC tuner?

I need a very high performance tuner due to my bad OTA location.

A CM-7000 Channel Master OTA DTV converter box is the bare minimum level of performance and it is considered a tie with the Zenith 901 for best sensitivity tuner.

So what are the odds the LG can match that?

There is one locally FS for $50 w/o remote. I think that is a bit high considering what they bring on eBay, however, if the unit would be a good enough tuner, I might buy it.
post #1182 of 1186 Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have a Channel Master to compare it to but it works well enough to get all the Phoenix and Tucson stations. I wouldn't buy one though since it's old school and all the TV's now have tuners just as good so it's time to move on. Also there are a couple of problems with mine. The tuner is very sensitive to vibrations, any time the unit or the table it's setting on gets bumped it interrupts the reception. Not all of them do that but mine does. Also, Ch. 6, the PBS station in Tucson makes it reboot about every 5-6 minutes. Newer units don't have problems with that channel but there aren't any updates for it.
I wouldn't buy one of these unless it's $5.99 at Goodwill. You can get a Sony Blu-ray player that also streams Netflix at Walmart for $79. Get a decent LCD TV to go with it and you'll be all set.
post #1183 of 1186 Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I agree with the above poster, you'll never get the performance of the CM or Zenith with a generation as old as this LG. I have all 3 devices you mentioned and I'd put the CM at the top with the Zenith being neck and neck, the LG would be many notches below those.
Personally I'm not real impressed with the DVD side either, although that seems to go against the grain of many of the earlier posts in this thread
post #1184 of 1186 Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

How good is the ATSC tuner?

I need a very high performance tuner due to my bad OTA location.

A CM-7000 Channel Master OTA DTV converter box is the bare minimum level of performance and it is considered a tie with the Zenith 901 for best sensitivity tuner.

So what are the odds the LG can match that?

There is one locally FS for $50 w/o remote. I think that is a bit high considering what they bring on eBay, however, if the unit would be a good enough tuner, I might buy it.

I agree with the others... DON'T BUY A 3510 expecting it to be better than today's technology, except maybe Sony. [It seems Sony took a course on how to make the WORST ATSC tuners on the planet]

All my other ATSC tuners are better than the old LG. I still use mine, but it's much more temperamental than anything else in the house these days.

Sorry I can't compare it to your models directly. Hope this helps.

P.S. - If I recall correctly, it requires the remote to train and do all the settings. They can't all be done from the front panel.
post #1185 of 1186 Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM

Back in the day that the 3510 was the new kid on the block, it was heads and shoulders above all other tuners. I have a 3510 and the one that is the NTSC/ATSC tuner only models (4get the model of the latter) and by tuners as new as 2007, they suck. The tuners in TV's are better at rejecting multi-path and sensitivity, hands down. I have no issue with the DVD beyond it can get finicky occasionally on what it will play. Mine has been somewhat 'stored' for the past 2-3 years. $50 is reasonable for either model IMHO but only because they still beat the pants off the new CE boxes released when we went all ATSC and shut down NTSC a couple of years ago.
post #1186 of 1186 Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Like the others said, the Zenith ATSC tuner will run laps around the LG. However the Zenith box is not HD.

The most annoying things about this unit are:

1. It is very picky about which type of DVD+/-R discs it will play.
2. You can't skip a subchannel with the tuner without skipping the main channel, too.

I used it for a while connected to my projector until the DVD player got to the point where it wouldn't play pressed DVD's very well. Now I have an HTPC to do the heavy lifting for the projector. The LG is in the closet somewhere.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Lg Lst 3510a Hdtv Receiver Hi Format Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - 3510a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page