D* Extends $399 HDTV Offer - Now it's $99! And more! - Page 86 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #2551 of 2560 Old 10-03-2005, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't seem to be as lucky--or maybe pursuasive. I wanted to upgrade my somewhat malfunctioning HD100 with an HD DVR, but after two calls to two different reps the best I was offered was $400 (after rebates and discounts). The first rep pretty much told me that no such deal as cheap as I mentioned ever existed ("Well sir, it used to be $1049 and it just dropped to $649. So it's $549 with a $100 rebate... that's pretty good.")

But I don't have the time anymore to jump thru hoops with multiple phone calls until I get someone who is willing to keep me as a customer and not treat me like I'm retarded. So I reactivated an old non-hd, non-pvr while I look into cable offerings... I already have hi-speed in the house anyway. So after about 5 years with D* I think I'm jumping ship.

Dave

Be The Beer! BriansBelly.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2560 Old 10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 973
installed saturday like they said, with D* since 98, hdtivo 199 after the dust settles :)
post #2553 of 2560 Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
OK, here's my latest DirecTV adventure. I didn't "grind" them -- just trying to fix things that have accumulated, which seems to be typical of this forum.

I'm a nine-year customer. Have Total Choice, plus the locals. Had Sunday Ticket until this year -- cancelled. I'm in SoCal, so we get five HD NFL games per week OTA anyway.

Two problems. First, my old Toshiba DST-3000 can no longer pull in satelite signals. (Oddly, the OTA ATSC stuff is fine.) I hear it's heat fatigue, which I can believe as this is the hottest-running piece of gear I've ever owned. I was only getting HBO HD anyway, but it's frown-inducing to stare at this emasculated $500 piece of hardware staring at me, while the $50 Walmart STB pulls in the SD satelite stuff. What to do? Wait for the MPEG-4 changeover and have DirecTV swap out the old cripple? Just cancel satelite HD and wait for the change? Or plunge ahead for a new HD STB anyway?

Now, the wife wants to timeshift without dealing with a VCR, so it's time for the DirecTV DVR, which they're pushing. I hear you need both of the dual-LNB feeds for "full functionality." I have an older, two-head oval HD dish; DirecTV sent me a "Sat C Upgrade Kit" two years ago, which I installed and connected into the multiswitch and got me HBO HD.

So the installer comes out, hooks up the DirecTV (Samsung) DVR. It boots up and reports "No Sat C" signal on the secondary dish feed. The installer just dismisses my older dish as obsolete. A closer look reveals that the "Sat C Upgrade" kit, which added the third, middle head to the oval dish, only has ONE LNB! (No wonder they were "giving" them away.)

I asked the Installer if he could finalize installation anyway. He said that no, the DVR wouldn't have "full functionality," which they insist on before they will sign off an installation. He hemmed and hawed and said that he would have just swapped out my dish with a new one, but didn't have it with him. In the end, it was "call DirecTV and work something out."

So I call Direct and recite all of the above. Took an hour. First, with a Customer Service rep, then to a Tech Services lady. She told me that the DVR would have worked fine without Sat C on the secondary feed, and that the installer should have just gone ahead with it. I told her about my Toshiba HD STB woes, and she sent me to a "senior" Tech Services guy "so we can take care of all of this stuff at once."

After twenty minutes with the Senior Tech, he's going to send me a "refurbished" HD STB for $49 plus $20 shipping, and have the installer check it out when he comes out to make the DVR work next week. I believe the SD DVR is gonna be $100 with a $100 rebate -- essentially free, like I was a new subscriber. (Plus the $6.95 a month "rental fee," which is OK with me at the rate these things get upgraded.)

All in all, seems fair. We'll see.

I'm reading about the HD DVR deals, but that's for another day....
post #2554 of 2560 Old 10-03-2005, 11:01 PM

Liked: 10
$6.95 is for Tivo service I believe. Normally $12/mo directly from Tivo so not a bad deal at all.

Going to church doesn't make a man a Christian, any more than going to a garage makes him an automobile.
-- Billy Sunday
post #2555 of 2560 Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Took a chance and called today, was offered $649 - $100 rebate - $100 credit. Bummer.
post #2556 of 2560 Old 10-28-2005, 07:42 AM

Thanks to all the suggestions here, my husband called two days ago. We've subscribed since almost Day One and subscribe to everything they offer (Platinum? I don't see that bill but that's what my husband said).

They said the price was $499. My husband said he was hoping for a better price considering the offers others were receiving and our long customer relationship with them. She gave him a $100 off and a $120 rebate (or vice versa) plus $20 off our monthly bill for the next six months. The end price was $179. My husband's not much of a sweet talker with people like that and the fact that it didn't take a huge amount of effort on his part (I heard all of his side of the conversation) makes us think that the length of our relationship with them and the fact that we take everything is what made the big difference. It's true we didn't pay $99 but we're happy with the $179 final price.
post #2557 of 2560 Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime
OK, here's my latest DirecTV adventure. I didn't "grind" them -- just trying to fix things that have accumulated, which seems to be typical of this forum.

I'm a nine-year customer. Have Total Choice, plus the locals. Had Sunday Ticket until this year -- cancelled. I'm in SoCal, so we get five HD NFL games per week OTA anyway.

Two problems. First, my old Toshiba DST-3000 can no longer pull in satelite signals. (Oddly, the OTA ATSC stuff is fine.) I hear it's heat fatigue, which I can believe as this is the hottest-running piece of gear I've ever owned. I was only getting HBO HD anyway, but it's frown-inducing to stare at this emasculated $500 piece of hardware staring at me, while the $50 Walmart STB pulls in the SD satelite stuff. What to do? Wait for the MPEG-4 changeover and have DirecTV swap out the old cripple? Just cancel satelite HD and wait for the change? Or plunge ahead for a new HD STB anyway?

Now, the wife wants to timeshift without dealing with a VCR, so it's time for the DirecTV DVR, which they're pushing. I hear you need both of the dual-LNB feeds for "full functionality." I have an older, two-head oval HD dish; DirecTV sent me a "Sat C Upgrade Kit" two years ago, which I installed and connected into the multiswitch and got me HBO HD.

So the installer comes out, hooks up the DirecTV (Samsung) DVR. It boots up and reports "No Sat C" signal on the secondary dish feed. The installer just dismisses my older dish as obsolete. A closer look reveals that the "Sat C Upgrade" kit, which added the third, middle head to the oval dish, only has ONE LNB! (No wonder they were "giving" them away.)

I asked the Installer if he could finalize installation anyway. He said that no, the DVR wouldn't have "full functionality," which they insist on before they will sign off an installation. He hemmed and hawed and said that he would have just swapped out my dish with a new one, but didn't have it with him. In the end, it was "call DirecTV and work something out."

So I call Direct and recite all of the above. Took an hour. First, with a Customer Service rep, then to a Tech Services lady. She told me that the DVR would have worked fine without Sat C on the secondary feed, and that the installer should have just gone ahead with it. I told her about my Toshiba HD STB woes, and she sent me to a "senior" Tech Services guy "so we can take care of all of this stuff at once."

After twenty minutes with the Senior Tech, he's going to send me a "refurbished" HD STB for $49 plus $20 shipping, and have the installer check it out when he comes out to make the DVR work next week. I believe the SD DVR is gonna be $100 with a $100 rebate -- essentially free, like I was a new subscriber. (Plus the $6.95 a month "rental fee," which is OK with me at the rate these things get upgraded.)

All in all, seems fair. We'll see.

I'm reading about the HD DVR deals, but that's for another day....
I got same failure on my Toshiba DTS 3000 like yours about 2 weeks ago. It is very strange, maybe D* changed something to screw all Toshiba DTS-3000's owner !!!!!. Do any other DTS-3000 get same failure?

I did have same deal like you (HD STB for $49 plus $15 shipping).
post #2558 of 2560 Old 10-29-2005, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Don't blame DirecTV for an STB manufacturer's design flaw.

If you do a search for "Toshiba" "DST-3000", you should find posts that discuss the failure of this unit's satelite receiving section. Similar failures have been reported for the Hughes' E-86 and corresponding Mitsubishi unit made/sold 3-4 years ago.

So Direct sent me an H10-R unit as a replacement. It can get confused at times, apparently when switching polarities into the multiswitch, but it's a lot better than the doorstop that the DST-3000 had become.

After hearing about all of the equipment/installation hassles I've been having lately, Direct agreed to, at no charge, upgrade my old HD oval dish (2x4 multiswitch) with a new one (3x8 multiswitch). It's now running my new DVR and HD rig.

I'm so taken with the new ST DVR in the bedroom that I'm thinking about getting an HD DVR -- if I can get a good deal. My plan is to wait until I read here that Direct is "dealing" again on them. Then I'll call them up and see if they will swap me the HD DVR for the relatively new HD STB they just sent me, plus a "nominal" (?) payment.
post #2559 of 2560 Old 11-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
This thread is peppered with mixed stories of either "I got a deal" or "I didn't get a deal, they don't care about me as a customer, I'm switching."

I'm one of the "didn't get a deal" group when it comes to the DVR. And I did wonder exactly how many of us switch because they don't. I just happened to see an article in the TELCO-IP Video Update email that lists a "ridiculously high" churn rate for DirecTV:

Quote:
On its third-quarter earnings call, DirecTV said it generated 180,000 new additions from its telco alliances out of 1.1 million total additions -- the seventh consecutive quarter of telco-addition increase. Still, the company said its 1.89% churn rate was “unacceptably high,†resulting in net additions of 263,000.
That's a lot of lost customers.

Dave

Be The Beer! BriansBelly.com
post #2560 of 2560 Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 PM

I tried the e-mail route. I sent an e-mail last Thursday with a few HD complaints and
a threat to switch to Time Warner. DTV called saturday and I will receive my new HD Tivo with install, multi-switch, Showtime for 6 months, and a free unit this coming Saturday.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page