Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright View Post

Many thanks for this. I've also read reports of this problem with another Sharp and a Westinghouse LCD.

What about other LCD TVs using the new CCFLs? Do they all cause an interference problem? Or just a few?

I am using the SA 3250HD with a Westy LVM-47w1 47" LCD conected DVI>DVI. It has worked perfectly since first connected.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 AM

buzzing sound on audio when connecting component cables.

whenever i connect the component cable to the 3250hd i get a medium loud buzz via the receiver. My setup is: SA 3250hd to Onkyo SR574 via component video and optical audio. from there via component cable to Panasonic 42 plasma.

If i disconnect the component cable the buzzing stops, once I plug in one of the component cables the buzz starts again. the tv is turned off, just receiver and cable involved. I have the tv connected via regular 2 plug rca audio to the receiver and then also get a loud buzz on the tv.

had the cable boxed changed several times, some where also self restarting themselves, but always the same results.

anyone have any similar issues or advice?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM

In case anyone is interested, I figure I should describe the solution I'll probably live with. The problem was, of course, that a low backlight setting on the TV interfered with channel-changing and guide-navigation on the STB via a remote control.

My TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. Its backlight settings range from -16 to +16, which is of course the brightest level. Through repeated experiments, I was able to determine that interference occurred with a backlight setting of below -1.

I therefore set the backlight at -1 (only a little brighter than I'd have preferred) and have not had a problem for a while.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamuco View Post

whenever i connect the component cable to the 3250hd i get a medium loud buzz via the receiver. My setup is: SA 3250hd to Onkyo SR574 via component video and optical audio. from there via component cable to Panasonic 42 plasma.

If i disconnect the component cable the buzzing stops, once I plug in one of the component cables the buzz starts again. the tv is turned off, just receiver and cable involved. i have the tv connected via regular 2 plug rca audio to the receiver and then also get a loud buzz on the tv.

had the cable boxed changed several times, some where also self restarting themselves, but always the same results.

anyone have any similr issues or advice?

Thanks

You might try a line conditioner like the isobars from Tripp-lite. Might be some electrical interference between electrical components or in the cable line feed. The isobar cleans the power and isolates between components.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamuco View Post

If i disconnect the component cable the buzzing stops, once I plug in one of the component cables the buzz starts again. the tv is turned off, just receiver and cable involved. i have the tv connected via regular 2 plug rca audio to the receiver and then also get a loud buzz on the tv.

anyone have any similr issues or advice?

Thanks

It is more than likely ground loop hum. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_hum Getting all devices on a common ground often eliminates the problem. Also, RS and others sell ground loop hum isolators that solve the problem.

Dana

Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

It is more than likely ground loop hum. See Getting all devices on a common ground often eliminates the problem. Also, RS and others sell ground loop hum isolators that solve the problem.

Dana

Thanks also to Bfadams. Will try those solutions.

I think my older house doesn't have all outlets grounded anyhow, it;s from around 1950.
All TV, STB and receiver are plugged into the same outlets / circuit.

Powerplug for TV is right on the wall behind the TV, covered by the TV, so difficult to get a ups or other devise behind it as well.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
CATV Coax Ground Loops are fairly common....but might as well check entire system:

These are much better articles re Ground Loops and what can be done to eliminate them:
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf
http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AE600HA.pdf

1. First of all, if you have power being supplied to your "system" from wall sockets on different sides
of the room, use power strips so power all comes from same wall socket....but don't overload it...
If there are separate feeds from the breaker panel, this might help.....but it's a long shot....
PS: If you buy power strips, be advised that our local Home Depot carries the Belkin brand,
most of which include RFI/EMI Noise Filters in addition to high energy spike suppressors.

2. Connect grounding wires between your various A/V components, esp. from those that don't
use 3-prong plugs to one that does....if it helps, make it permanent....I do this anyway to avoid
loud pops and hum when I disconnect audio cables.

If your house doesn't have 3-prong sockets, you could upgrade (IF AND ONLY IF) you already have
a safety ground wire to the outlet....otherwise think about alternative grounding methods....

3. Disconnect cable coax. If the hum goes away, it's a cable ground problem.
First make sure the cable coax is properly grounded at the building entry point
(an NEC code and safety requirement).
If that doesn't eliminate the hum, try a CATV Coax Isolation Transformer, such as the fol. ISO-MAX:
http://www.avsupplystore.com/jen-vrd1ff.html
http://www.cs1.net/cables/jensen_transformers.htm
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/d...1ff_manual.pdf
Note that CATV needs both extended LOW frequency AND high frequency response,
so be wary of cheap knockoffs...

However, if it's a cable ground loop problem, I would call the cable system to fix it....

4. If it isn't the cable feed, there are isolation transformers for power, video and even component video:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_vid.html
http://search.cablestogo.com/?qu=iso...%20transformer
and "hi-fi" audio:
http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...n-galo2706.pdf
Old 04-23-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

CATV Coax Ground Loops are fairly common....but might as well check entire system:

These are much better articles re Ground Loops and what can be done to eliminate them:
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf
http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AE600HA.pdf

Thanks holl_ands.
I will start with the cable tv line, as this seems to be the culprit. I don't get any noise from the dvd or tape.

If that doesn't help i will try to other options.

Will report back here, also to help others.

UPDATE
I double checked and it seems to be the cable connection. Once I take the digital cable out of the STB the humm goes away on my TV and via the receiver. Cable back into the STB and the buzz is back. Hopefully Charter comm will be able to ground the cable, otherwise I have to purchase one of the line devices mentioned above.

Update 5/7/07

I ordered a Dayton VIT-1 Video Isolation Transformer and installed it first directly on the cable box. worked like a charm, no more buzzing sound or video hum lines. then I moved it before the splitter with outputs to a total of 4 tv's. Again buzzing was eliminated and video hum lines are gone as well.
Charter cable come out and checked the lines, grounding of cable is proper. The tech didn't know anything about his cable line creating interference. I demonstrated the problem with the buzzing sound by unhooking the component cables. Tech noticed the problem and was gonna bring it up to his supervisors.
In any case. problem fixed - Thanks again for all the peoples input and suggestions.

Now all I need is the correct code for the remote to turn off my Onkyo TX SR574 ....receiver
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 AM

I am have been trying to get my SA 3250hd to work with my Onkyo SR574 receiver. All codes provided for the ur2 exp chd2 http://www.ecuarace.com/remotes/REMOTES/ur4_exp_chd2.pdf file don't turn the unit on. one code works for the volume only.

If anyone knows a working code for the remote / cable box please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 AM

I've gotten myself on a list to beta test a soon to be released Samsung STB. TWC start moving to those this year, for both HD & HD-DVR.

I currently have a SA 3250HD for a bedroom Toshiba 23HLV87, and a P 3510HD for a Samsung LN-T4661f.

The SA works best with my Toshiba, which didn't like the DVI>HDMI on the Pioneer. It's also a much smaller box so better for a bedroom.

I was thinking of replacing my Pioneed for the 3250 as well, since it has a coax out, meaning I could send a cable to the coax in on my TV and possible finally use the PIP (which only pulls from Cable source). But, I simply can't deal with the grey bars on my big TV, which the SA inserts on SD channels. On my 23" it's not so bad.

After getting the most recently manufactured 3250 TWC could find (April 2007), the grey bars are still there. Scientific Atlanta, TWC, and Aptiv (makers of Passport guide) all claim no firmware/software updates exist. SO, that debunks rumors of upgraded boxes that don't do the grey bar inserts.

Enter the Samsung model, which hopelly will answer all issues. It's smaller, has HDMI out, doesn't insert grey bars. No word on whether it will run Passport, but I assume it will.

I'll update when I get the test box (I'm told by mid-summer).
Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 AM

Here is my diag summary for an HD channel:
Comcast, Southern NH

Tuner 633 MHz, -8 dBmV
FDC: 74MHz, 11 dBmV
RDC: 20MHz, 33dBmV

I notice some macroblocking during fast movement, scene changes.
Do you think this is associated with my -8 dB drop?

I have rg59 running 50ft from my splitter (-3dB on the splitter jack). RG6 coming in from the outside.

I get between -3 and +1 dB on the analog and non HD channels.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Wow, quite a thread! I admit I did look through the whole thing. I also have the 3250HD via Comcast (previously Adelphia), hooked up to my Panasonic Th-50PE77U plasma. I use component for the connection. I noticed between channels that I can see some horizontal "scan" lines moving from the bottom to the top. You can see then when a picture is there, but they are most noticeable between channels, when the screen goes blank for a second or two while the TV identified the signal (I use pass-through). Does this sound like it's caused by the signal? I don't see this when watching a DVD through Component 2, or when I shut the cable box off (the screen gets much darker due to no signal, so it's tough to tell if it's there or not).

Any thoughts? I'll try the cable direct into the TV (antenna) jack tonight, but I'm just wondering if something could be wrong with component 1 on my new plasma.

Thanks all. Great thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG_NH View Post

Wow, quite a thread! I admit I did look through the whole thing. I also have the 3250HD via Comcast (previously Adelphia), hooked up to my Panasonic Th-50PE77U plasma. I use component for the connection. I noticed between channels that I can see some horizontal "scan" lines moving from the bottom to the top. You can see then when a picture is there, but they are most noticeable between channels, when the screen goes blank for a second or two while the TV identified the signal (I use pass-through). Does this sound like it's caused by the signal? I don't see this when watching a DVD through Component 2, or when I shut the cable box off (the screen gets much darker due to no signal, so it's tough to tell if it's there or not).

Any thoughts? I'll try the cable direct into the TV (antenna) jack tonight, but I'm just wondering if something could be wrong with component 1 on my new plasma.

Thanks all. Great thread.

It might be caused by a ground loop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_...electricity%29
Quote:

In video, ground loop can be seen as hum bars (bands of slightly different brightness) scrolling vertically up the screen.

One way to tell is to be sure that all incoming devices are grounded to the same outlet including the incoming cable coax = no ground loop. A power strip with an in/out coax connection should do the trick.

Ground loop isolators are sold by places such as RS for less than $20. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Dana

Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

Thanks. So chances are, it's not the TV?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG_NH View Post

Thanks. So chances are, it's not the TV?

I think chances are it's not. You could move the STB to Component 2 - or the DVD to Component 1 - and see if the lines appear/disappear. That should further isolate the problem if it is external.

I'm betting it's the STB and specifically the coax that needs a common ground. It's not unusual and I think we've discussed it before on this long thread.*

Dana

* Check the lengthy post 937 above posted back in April.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 PM

You nailed it. Coincidentally, when I got home tonight, the plasma was on, but the cable box was off (darn kids). So, no signal. But I heard an audio hum. I tried it on DVD, no hum. I then unscrewed the coax from the wall and the hum went away. GROUND! The noise must have been there before, but I always had a signal feed, so I always had sound to drown it out, until today. I thought my only problem was the lines!

I went outside and cut the ground wire and redid it, so it was clean wire. I then, in the basement, made sure the ground was getting a good ground to the breaker box (where the cable ground block from outside was grounded to). Then, and I actually think is what did it, I grounded the 3 way splitter to the breaker box as well. It wasn't grounded before.

I then tried it out. No audio hum at all, even with the volume all the way up. And the horizontal lines, moving vertically, were gone!!

Thanks so much Dana. I read this whole thread, and never considered that that could be a problem. The links in that post above nailed it too, on the horizontal lines...

And I may be crazy, and even my wife agrees (which is really saying something), but the SD picture quality, even HD, looked even better than before this repair. Is it possible that ground loop was also degrading PQ?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:11 PM

One more question on this box - I too experience the sluggish response time for menus and channel changes in the middle of lineup, channels 50-65 or so.

I read that others do as well, but is there anything you can do to improve this?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

the 3250hd is sluggish and needs to be phased out.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Hi, i just got this HD box from timewarner NYC. My problem is that all the channels are displayed at 4:3 even though i have it set to 16:9. I can not even get to the setup menu thing, when i hold guide and info nothing comes up, can any1 help me out?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryBoy View Post

Hi, i just got this HD box from timewarner NYC. My problem is that all the channels are displayed at 4:3 even though i have it set to 16:9. I can not even get to the setup menu thing, when i hold guide and info nothing comes up, can any1 help me out?

Turn the box off before doing the guide info combination.

Else unplug it for ten seconds to reboot it.. clock comes back on its
all set to go.. Make sure its OFF then do the Info/Guide button combination.
Good luck

John.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johniedes View Post

Turn the box off before doing the guide info combination.

Else unplug it for ten seconds to reboot it.. clock comes back on its
all set to go.. Make sure its OFF then do the Info/Guide button combination.
Good luck

John.

Ya the box is off when i do it. Does my TV outlet wire need to be plugged in2 the cable box for this to work? When i tried b4 my cable box is off and i get a blank screen on the TV.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Ya the box is off when i do it. Does my TV outlet wire need to be plugged in2 the cable box for this to work? When i tried b4 my cable box is off and i get a blank screen on the TV.

Yeah just unplug the box for ten seconds or so, plug it back and go get a cup of coffee.. come back and when the time is displayed on the box you are good
to go Push info/Guide at the same time should bring Hd setup wizard..

Page 9 is advanced set up wizard

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/pro...fs/4003114.pdf

use the keys on teh remote to navigate.

Yep plug the tv into the set top box, if this doesnt work plug it in seperate outlet temporarily..

and of course make sure the Television is ON.

Good luck..

John
Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah just unplug the box for ten seconds or so, plug it back and go get a cup of coffee.. come back and when the time is displayed on the box you are good
to go Push info/Guide at the same time should bring Hd setup wizard..

Page 9 is advanced set up wizard

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/pro...fs/4003114.pdf

use the keys on teh remote to navigate.

Yep plug the tv into the set top box, if this doesnt work plug it in seperate outlet temporarily..

and of course make sure the Television is ON.

Good luck..

John

Wow i just don't know why it doesn't work, i turned off the cable box and also unplugged it too, still no HDSETUP. I know to get to the diagnostics menu, u have to press Select+Exit. You think i would have to press another button?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Wow i just don't know why it doesn't work, i turned off the cable box and also unplugged it too, still no HDSETUP. I know to get to the diagnostics menu, u have to press Select+Exit. You think i would have to press another button?

Give it a second while holding those two buttons in.. Hmm else i dont know.

John.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Give it a second while holding those two buttons in.. Hmm else i dont know.

John.

Meh! i give up! I dunno if i got a faulty box, or if time warner set them up like that. i r very sad!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 PM

After reading some other threads, do you think coz my box has passport software that i cant get the HDTV setup wizard to work?