Topics merged.

Ken, Thanks for the merge...
post #93 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I was going crazy reading all of these posts I had seen in a different topic. To find out in the end that they were merged. Should get my 360 tomorrow or Monday.
post #94 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 03:59 PM

Thank you Patrick for hinting that we don't need a dozen 360 threads, by renaming this one.

The fix worked for me, but I didn't have to reset to factory defaults. All I did was go back into the local networks screen, reenter my zip in the primary, when "Houston, TX" appeared at the bottom of the screen, I selected it which added in a box in the upper part of the screen. After that there was a msg that it was going to reboot, then a minute or so of downloaded guide info and it was all fixed. It's not at all obvious that you need to select the city so I think this is going to be an ongoing problem for lots of folks.

I'd also like to say that Samsung tech support, Steve specifically, has done a great job at tracking down this issue and returning calls.
post #95 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo
I just got a TS360.

On page 20 of the manual (the packing list) it says "Remote Control (IR)".

So it appears the included remote is IR only, there must be an optional RF one.

Anyone know if the codes are the same as the earlier boxes? (e.g. my remotes control both my TS160 and T165 at the same time, which has ruined any number of recordings.) Any more on an RF remote?

erik g
post #96 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

A few more observations...

Compenent output looks fine. Compares very favorably to (but slightly softer than) my Panasonic TU-DST50.

My OTA signal strength meter also bounces around wildly. No sense to it.
I did not have problems with local channel info. It had all be set up and activated before I read about putting the zip in. When I did it rebooted and acquired all the info.

I'm also seeing frequent dropouts on satellite HD channels. Watching DiscoveryHD this evening it when blank, pixelated and recovered about every 5-10 minutes.

I like that component and S-Video are both active at the same time. Did the 160 do that?

The panaroma mode (yech, who would ever use that!) does indeed scrunch up HD which it shouldn't.

Seems to be a bug in channel blocking. I set up a channel list, then tuned manually to a channel not on the list after "locking". It told me I need to enter my password to view the blocked channel. I did so and 2 minutes later it asked me again. It kept asking me every 2 minutes.

That's enough bugs for the first day

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #97 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dacarter
Thank you Patrick for hinting that we don't need a dozen 360 threads, by renaming this one.

The fix worked for me, but I didn't have to reset to factory defaults. All I did was go back into the local networks screen, reenter my zip in the primary, when "Houston, TX" appeared at the bottom of the screen, I selected it which added in a box in the upper part of the screen. After that there was a msg that it was going to reboot, then a minute or so of downloaded guide info and it was all fixed. It's not at all obvious that you need to select the city so I think this is going to be an ongoing problem for lots of folks.

I'd also like to say that Samsung tech support, Steve specifically, has done a great job at tracking down this issue and returning calls.

Yes BIG BIG Kudos to Steve. I will be calling him tomorrow to thank him. it never hurts to have friends like that LOL. Hew said to call him and let him know and to post it if it worked.. The zip code thing did not work for me. I had tried that before. It was the Factory reset that did it...
post #98 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo
I like that component and S-Video are both active at the same time. Did the 160 do that?

The panaroma mode (yech, who would ever use that!) does indeed scrunch up HD which it shouldn't.

Yes, Steve, the 160 does that.

Search for the 4:3 trick, and, if I have understood your posts on DHTG and the SPot correctly for the past 3 years, you will appreciate the results.

PS: there was not a cities list on the 160 after you selected your zip. Obviously an enhancement on the 360, and not a bug. Wonder if this is in the manual, as I have not read to that detail either...

...BK
post #99 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BK EH
Yes, Steve, the 160 does that.

Search my moniker for the 4:3 trick, and, if I have understood your posts on DHTG and the SPot correctly for the past 3 years, you will appreciate the results.

Signed,
A 160 user porting to 360, AKA Mr. Bill

PS... when we move from Lower Greenville to White Rock Lake next fall, expect a 46807 HD-move ISF call...

PSS: there was not a cities list on the 160 after you selected your zip. Obviously an enhancement on the 360, and not a bug. Wonder if this is in the manual, as I have not read to that detail either...

I had the 160 also and I did get a cities list after I put in my zip.. at least it worked for my zip..
post #100 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Also getting dropouts on all channels (locals, sat, and HD).....averaged every 20 seconds or so, hit the reset button next to the card slot and it lessened the dropouts to about once every 15 mintues or so.

This occurs for both DVI and Component equally as much.

Sound goes off, screen goes black blinks/drops out and comes back in a second or so...every 3rd time or so there is pixelation.

Called Samung and said they will call back tomorrow. Called Directv and they are shipping a new receiver out.
post #101 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 08:25 PM

I will receive a 360 tomorrow to go along with my DST-3000 and Comcast 5100. With a desire to do PIP I was considering running the Component Video of my DVD player through the 360 input. Has anyone noticed a degradation of the PQ?
Since I have a B&K 307 I was considering attaching the Coaxial Digital of the Sammy into the Coax SAT input of the B&K and going with the optical from the DVD player into the corresponding Sat input of the B&K. I would not attach the audio from the DVD into the Sammy. In this way I should be able to process all of the surround from the DVD player. At any time I could also enable the analog DVD-A setup to this input of the B&K.
The DST-3000 box will grab the other component input into the B&K.
The Comcrap will go direct into the second directly into the 2nd component input of the TV for PIP purposes, though that may swap with the DST when HD football time comes around. (Or when Directv ramps of the HD and I send Comcrap packing. I have them for basic as I am screwed OTA)
Any thoughts on this proposed setup before I rip the SOB apart tomorrow?
I'm so glad I insisted on a 5x8 as a part of my install with the retention deal. My installer is gonna freak when he sees two Tivo's, Two HD receivers and a A-50 all co-located!
post #102 of 2208 Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquacure
Sorry for the confusion, yes I have the new oval 3 dish with built in multi-switch, D* sent it to me with this new reciever.

Gary, I'm going to try your instructions tonight but previously when I have run auto detect it has failed and I just selected it manually.

I talked to the installer again this morning and I was mistaken, he was picking up 101 and 119 on his round dish but not 110. I believe this is possible. The thing that makes me different is that my old reciever on this new dish is picking up 110 also which still leaves me to believe it is something with the new reciever itself.

thanks for the help guys, if anybody thinks of anything else to try ...I'm game.

Sg

aquacure, when you select auto-detect when Oval-2 or Oval-3 are already configured, it does not fix the problem. When you select Round dish alot happens. Running Auto detect "after" the Round Dish auto reboot, and EPG download, should detect an Oval-3 and prompt to reboot.

And yes, this issue haunts the Dish Alignment menu as well, until this procedure is performed.
post #103 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 06:29 AM

When I change my channel to a channel that has a program with Dolby Digital, the samsung clicks. It is quite annoying when channel surfing.
Does anyone have this annoying issue? Is it just how the box works?
post #104 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 06:31 AM

I get the same clicking noise.
post #105 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 06:59 AM

I also get the clicking noise. I got it on my Sammy 160 as well that went back to D*.
post #106 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by freeness

The DVI connection doesn't work right. It won't work with any 1080/720 output. If I set the output to 480 it's fine. Using native mode, only SD programming will work, all HD programming comes up all snow. Samsung says it's a problem with the HDCP handshake. I have a Toshiba 65HDX82 which is HDCP. On the Hughes HTL the DVI works fine on that.

I had a 160 about a year ago that did something very similar to that with the DVI connection and a Sony plasma screen when set to 1080/720. Samsung couldn't resolve the problem and Sony said they would have to take the plasma apart to change out the DVI board. Didn't like that idea at all, so returned the 160 and went with a Sony H-200. The HD-200 died after 4 months. Now in the market for a new HD receiver and I was hoping that the 360 would not have the same handshake problem with DVI. Hopefully I 'll be able to give it a try and it'll work. Otherwise, I guess I wait for the RCA DTC 210.
post #107 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 08:09 AM

Has anyone hooked up their 360 using the RGB output? On my unit when set to 1080i, the RGB output displays a dark picture. It actually becomes darker at random intervals and is very much unwatchable. In addition, the pictures sometimes takes on a blueish or pinkish tint and then suddenly blooms to an almost white image - very alarming. The only setting that displays a normal image is at 480p/480i. I have a DTC100 with RGB to compare with and the RCA has no such problems.
post #108 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 08:35 AM

Has anybody came up with a solution to the dropout problem yet.. It just goes black for a second or two and comes right back on. Sometimes picture is pixulated and sometimes not..
post #109 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 08:37 AM

I don't believe my clicking noise on my box is related to DVI as I have my unit setup under component video. I do have a DVI cable setup, but I do not use the ouput. I will remove the cable just in case and see if it does anything. I wonder if this is a defect or how it is designed. I have seen this posted somewhere else with the 160 but I can not find it. Anyone who knows how to verify this, please post. I am not abount to believe anything D* TVor Samsung will tell me.

Jungle you said you returned the 160, did they send you a new one? And if so was this resolved?
post #110 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I just had a strange audio problem.

I had been experimenting with reception on several OTA digital channels.

When I finished, I tuned to DirecTV 355 (CNBC) and the audio was all "tinny". Same thing on all SD DirecTV channels. I had to unplug it and after booting up, everything is back to normal.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #111 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 09:15 AM

Liked: 14
I also had the 'tinny' sound. It was a very high pitched ringing during speech. When I switched to OTA it stopped.
post #112 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 10:06 AM

Well after palying around a little. It is not my samsung box that is clicking. It is my AV receiver that clicks when when it makes a handshake for DD 5.1.
Still very annoying.
post #113 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 12:22 PM

So it seems that all D* receivers have issues. To date, I have been through 3 HTL-HD; for audio problems, 1 TS 160; pixilation and lock up, and 1 TS 360; pictures goes black. It seems that D* correct the problems with their vendors before they release products to the public. I called D* and they credited my bill for the purchase price. But they won't take the equipment back. Anyone have a recommendation for a HD receiver, since I'm back to watching my old Tivo, never skips a beat.

Mark
post #114 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 12:32 PM
LCC

I just received the 360 today. Already had to reboot it twice and am getting the picture dropouts. I called DirecTV and they had no technical info on the 360. They transferred me over to Samsung and they said they had no reports of the picture dropout problem. In fact he said they monitor the forums and while I was on hold looked and said they saw nothing. So if this is an issue, call them.
post #115 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 12:33 PM
LCC

Scratch that, now having to reboot again. The 3rd time the service has gone out with a call x745.
post #116 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 12:48 PM

this is great news, so far i have little issues with the 160 and it seems that the 360 is just the beginning of problems.
maybe i'm better off staying with the 160?
it doesnt matter because D* said that the 360 was supposed to be here by yesterday and now it is confirmed that i have to wait until next week.
post #117 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LCC
I just received the 360 today. Already had to reboot it twice and am getting the picture dropouts. I called DirecTV and they had no technical info on the 360. They transferred me over to Samsung and they said they had no reports of the picture dropout problem. In fact he said they monitor the forums and while I was on hold looked and said they saw nothing. So if this is an issue, call them.

Both samsung and D* are aware of audio and video dropout problems. D* level two tech. support admitted to me a few other people have complained re same problems. This was either tues or wed. Keep pestering both companies maybe they will have a fix, hopefully soon.
post #118 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrome
this is great news, so far i have little issues with the 160 and it seems that the 360 is just the beginning of problems.
maybe i'm better off staying with the 160?
it doesnt matter because D* said that the 360 was supposed to be here by yesterday and now it is confirmed that i have to wait until next week.

Bummer. We were both in the same boat with being told that the orders had to be submitted manually, or that their system was down. I have a tracking number for mine and should be at my house tomorrow. With all of these issues I'm not sure I want the newer 360. May have to do what you suggest and stick it out with teh 160. Will see what happens when I get my 360 tomorrow.
post #119 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LCC
Scratch that, now having to reboot again. The 3rd time the service has gone out with a call x745.

I thought I had seen where some people had either bad cards or a bad card reader. My 360 other then the guide problem has been rock solid. The 160 I had did lock up...
post #120 of 2208 Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM

For the record, I've had no dropouts with either the 160 or the 360. After getting the guide info fixed I'm pretty much happy with the 360. Still wondering about the RF remote question, and confused by the stretch modes, but I guess I'll figure it out eventually.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page