The Master Samsung 360 topic - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering the 160 issues of past & feature upgrades that where never delivered, I am a bit surprised that so many signed up to be beta testers for the 360. I am patiently waiting for the RCA DTC 210 for personal use, which is the Toshiba DST-3100 in a different case, so distributors are telling retailers as of recent, and surprise, it actually comes with a UHF remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 02:59 PM

Ok, I've had the 360 hooked up for 3 days also and I'm still at 1.2.03 also. After I got this second unit hooked up and recongnized the sat's I've had no problems
No audio or video dropouts after hours of watching many different channels. I'm using the DVI and no problems there either, everything is bright and crisp.
post #183 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Then you received the same 12.03 possibly w/software patches, and it "was" pre-configured to Oval-3 for you. This is why the *D CSR's and/or Samsung simply will not spend 2h's on the phone, it's just easier to replace the unit instead of arguing with a customer who questions the instructions nor follows them.
post #184 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Gary,
Is there a way to do the "software patch update" on our end? Or do we keep ordering replacement boxes until we get the "updated" and oval-3 version?
Thanks.
Tim
post #185 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 04:49 PM

My 745 errors have gone away WITHOUT having the set replaced. (The replacement set was sent FDEX home delivery - ground) and wont be here till Wed. Did D* do something on their end to make it go away?

bert
post #186 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 05:04 PM

Most of the units returned to distribution have been re-flashed with 12.03 and re-configured for Oval-3. A minimal number of units have been returned to Samsung unless DOA. I would suggest even if you are receiving HD programming, to manually select Round Dish proceed with the reboot then select Auto Dish Detect. If the issues do not go away, try Round again, but upon reboot, select Oval-3 on the 2nd pass. If you do this tonight, I suggest turning off the receiver from the remote before you go to bed, to get any patches or upgrades by morning.

There are few instances where the Oval-3 is not properly aligned or the sub has an older Oval-2 with the Sat-C upgrade kit not properly installed and/or behind a non-cascadable multi-switch, and/or they self installed a standard LNB in the 110 slot in an older Oval-2 and/or has not correctly installed the Sat-C combiner and/or the 360 has not been installed with allowances for proper ventilation, and/or lastly the receiver was shipped in standard upgrade mode.

Only after attempting passes at the Round Dish config and removal of the unit from a non ventilated environment, should an RMA be requested. As I stated before, D* does not consider these issues worthy of emergency patches, yet. I also cannot confirm what the sub patch releases are, for 12.03, that the distributors are currently flashing on returned 360's. So if self redemption fails, then do RMA the unit to get the latest.

You can also follow my prior post instructions to see if *D has in fact spooled any patches. If you only see 12.03 and no patches, *D may have re-spooled 12.03 with patches, but that would be transparent to the user, except suddenly your problems went away, an old Microsoft trick. I would not be surprised to see 12.06 show up in new product by this Spring and *D officially spooling it to all by this Summer. Remember, it is simply a service pack release w/rolled up patches.

I may have understated the importance of ventilation, but this may be effecting a larger number of subs than first thought. No piece of equip should ever be stacked on top of each other or enclosed behind doors w/out rear ventilation.
post #187 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 06:08 PM

Still Happening to me.. I have a build date of Jan 29 2004. You think this would have the latest and greatest software. I will reboot with the method that was suggested, If its still there in the morning I will be calling D* tomorrow.

Joe
post #188 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

My manufacturer date is also 1/29/04. I have 12.03 with no patches per the procedure described above. I do have the periodic blinking out problem on HD satellite channels, but no other problems. Would the Round Dish procedure above possibly offer me any benefit? I will try turning it off over night and see if any patches show up.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #189 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Build date of 1/26 here with no patches per above procedure.

Having good luck with it tonight. No audio or video drops at all. Hope this continues.
post #190 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 07:26 PM

I too had the audio and video drop out and the message to call for the x745 error. They sent a replacement card and it dropped while on the phone with cust. service to activate new card. Will recieve a replacement in a few days, meanwhile I placed a fan on my unit and it has not dropped audio or video for about two and a half hours.
post #191 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 07:48 PM

The key is actually performing the procedure "and" insuring that the unit is not stacked on top or below another AV component, rule 6" between AV components (see owners manual). Remember to turn off the receiver tonight when you go to bed, but from the remote. Don't guess, don't hope, or assume, follow the procedure and then call *D if unresolved, but do perform the Round dish procedure regardless.

To many calls come in from retailers to distributors and/or *D. Again, some people simply do not follow instructions. Usually when an installer is dispatched, the AV stacking problem is realized or the installer performs the procedure and the customer is left speechless...

Tonight in Gary's email;

Q: "I have an Oval-3, selected Oval-2 and rebooted, then selected Auto Detect, now my receiver can't see any HD channels".
A: Did I say anything about selecting Oval-2 in my last correspondence?

Q: "My receiver is on top of an Aragon amp, why would spacing have anything to do with an 741 error message"?
A: Even the Aragon owners manual states that it has to be separated by 12" from any other component. It's a 200w per side amp. Heat?

Q: "I went ahead and selected default settings, now my customer is complaining they lost local channels and *D will not restore them".
A: Did I not state to "not" select restore to default?

Q: "I was a Dish sub and added a 18" dish for 101 on Direct, I cannot get the 360 to even see 110, what is the problem?"
A: Did you install a Sat-C kit on the Dish 500?

Q: "Your suggestion to configure for Round does not make any sense, I have an Oval dish".
A: If you have an Oval-3 dish, you "can" re-config to Round, you will only receive programing for 101 upon reboot, until you re-config for Auto Detect or Oval-3.

Q: "Gary you are fool, I received a replacement receiver tonight, connected the Sat RF and after Guide downloaded everything worked... I did not have to do anything, plug and play".
A: You received a pre-configured replacement w/possible software patches. For the few that followed the re-config procedure, they did not have to wait for a replacement receiver.

Please understand why *D or Samsung CSR's would simply prefer to replace your unit on the first pass or send an installer.
post #192 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary Whitaker
Most of the units returned to distribution have been re-flashed with 12.03 and re-configured for Oval-3. A minimal number of units have been returned to Samsung unless DOA. I would suggest even if you are receiving HD programming, to manually select Round Dish proceed with the reboot then select Auto Dish Detect. If the issues do not go away, try Round again, but upon reboot, select Oval-3 on the 2nd pass. If you do this tonight, I suggest turning off the receiver from the remote before you go to bed, to get any patches or upgrades by morning.

There are few instances where the Oval-3 is not properly aligned or the sub has an older Oval-2 with the Sat-C upgrade kit not properly installed and/or behind a non-cascadable multi-switch, and/or they self installed a standard LNB in the 110 slot in an older Oval-2 and/or has not correctly installed the Sat-C combiner and/or the 360 has not been installed with allowances for proper ventilation, and/or lastly the receiver was shipped in standard upgrade mode.

OK, Gary, please bear with me, as this will be my Part A, after reading all your followup stuff late today, and I will post my Part B tomorrow morning.

I do not have any 'hidden' patches as per a previous post of yours. I have done all the above... exactly. No changes... still a washed out winter theme in the guide that I cannot change. Still audio/video breakups and pixallation on DTV channels.

I have a perfectly aligned, 6 month old, 18" triple LNB that had 90%+ on all DTV birds with my old 160. It, and the 360 now, are on a top shelf by themselves. I powered it off via the remote and will report that part in the morning.

So now that you know that I am one of many people here that actually know how to follow your valued suggestions, please fill us in, as this has always been a forum of open sharing.

Specifically: where are you getting this stuff? The 'round dish trick' and the 'hidden version' stuff? Do you work for Samsung or DTV? Help us understand while we jump through your hoops, please.

And finally, for you to post earlier in this thread:
Considering the 160 issues of past & feature upgrades that where never delivered, I am a bit surprised that so many signed up to be beta testers for the 360. ...I have to tell you that I find that a completely disingenous statement. Be specific w/ regards to the 160, please, as it *works* now.

And do you really think that the people here that have 360s acquired them, via DTV for the most part, expecting to be guinea pigs or beta testers?!? Pulleeease... the newbies struggling here will especially be wondering why they see such cracks against the product!

I am done for now, but will be back in the AM with my Part B.

TIA!

...BK
post #193 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 09:15 PM

I can't tell you which side of the fence I work for, but understand, I am very close to the product and well beyond Samsung's ATS's displeasure over my posts. 160 issues are no CID name, no large cell EPG, but promised as feature upgrades, but never delivered. The fact that they compress 16:9 format (HD & SD) into 4:3, when the receiver is configured for 16:9, causes an unreadable EPG via composite or RF on slaved SD 4:3 TV's.

The fact that Samsung advertises 480i/p, means interlaced only through S-Vid, but then funny, they offer 480i component on the SIR-75. So let's just say, I expected nothing more or less of the 360. But then, do you have a UHF remote for the experience? That is why I am holding out for the RCA 210 re-labeled Toshiba DST-3100. As for newbies, this is an advanced forum. If they happen on to this forum, they will learn much.

As far as product and support, I rate it as A, for Asinine. As far as QA, I would have given my entire development staff the product to take home for QA, obviously that is not an approved procedure at Samsung.
post #194 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 09:23 PM

I fixed my 745 message by taking my access card out and rebooting. Then put the card back in. It has been working for 2 days now. However, I still get the video and audio black outs on all of Dave's channels.
post #195 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary Whitaker

Only after attempting passes at the Round Dish config and removal of the unit from a non ventilated environment, should an RMA be requested. As I stated before, D* does not consider these issues worthy of emergency patches, yet. I also cannot confirm what the sub patch releases are, for 12.03, that the distributors are currently flashing on returned 360's. So if self redemption fails, then do RMA the unit to get the latest.

You can also follow my prior post instructions to see if *D has in fact spooled any patches. If you only see 12.03 and no patches, *D may have re-spooled 12.03 with patches, but that would be transparent to the user, except suddenly your problems went away, an old Microsoft trick. I would not be surprised to see 12.06 show up in new product by this Spring and *D officially spooling it to all by this Summer. Remember, it is simply a service pack release w/rolled up patches.

I may have understated the importance of ventilation, but this may be effecting a larger number of subs than first thought. No piece of equip should ever be stacked on top of each other or enclosed behind doors w/out rear ventilation.

I would think if heat was such a big issue then Samsung would include fans to help cool the system off. Perhaps the people at Samsung need to invest in some R&D. I would say unplug the ird for a few hours and then plug it back in. If the blackouts reoccur within a few minuets then it is not a heat related issue.
post #196 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 10:14 PM

How do I "manually select Round Dish" on the 360 setup menu? I can't find it.
Thanks.
Tim
post #197 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 10:15 PM

Well, horrible for me to be off fact, but if Echostar & Samsung development merged product units together, I still picture a lemon. I am hoping the RCA 210 will be so much more, considering it has been delayed for 6 mo's for political reasons, Toshiba OEM in the past "has" improved their product.

This is not being ugly against Samsung, but Samsung has conveyed on the the 160 and non returned phone calls on the 360, that they simply do not stand behind their product. If I do get connected and talk to a general CSR, the "Not as designed feature", encourages me to switch manuf.

I have a green picture, "that was as designed". -click-
post #198 of 2208 Old 02-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by timatraw
How do I "manually select Round Dish" on the 360 setup menu? I can't find it.
Thanks.
Tim

Press menu on the remote, select setup, installation, set dish, select dish type, right arrow, select up/down to select Round, then right arrow and select OK.
post #199 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by BK EH
Also, has anyone had their guide colors "wash out?" I switched to winter/dark after first install and 5 minutes later they washed out... lighter blue and much less vibrant orange.

It's not cables, as it's the same on s-vid as component. Turns out that now I can't even change theme colors... it stays that same washed out winter no matter what theme I choose. They are replacing the box due to that alone... at first they were going to send a new card for the x:745 issues.

My new 360 has not been able to change colors nor translucency at all, right from the start. (Should I assume that I would see the changes 'on the fly' as soon as I move to, or at least 'select', the different options?)

I am also getting the x745 problem (which seems to be just the next progression of A/V dropouts), but I do have the receiver in a stack of components. (I already did the 'round then oval' trick; my receiver did come preset to 3-LNB oval anyway.) I put in into standby for the night now, just to see if anything 'hits it' overnight, but tomorrow I will move it out of the stack. Is the menu color problem likely to be a bad box, since every other menu feature and operation seems fine, including changing gray bars to black? Thanks for all the tips, Gary and others.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #200 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 05:09 AM

Does the 360 have caller ID?
If so does it display name and number?

Thanks J C
post #201 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it has caller ID and displays name and number.

I left it off over night and no patches showed up.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
post #202 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 06:17 AM

Ventilation problems were mentioned a few posts ago. My neighbor got his 360 about a week ago. After a week, he began having the problems many are describing here. Turns out he bought a new cabinet and the 360 was placed behind glass doors with no rear ventilation. He now cracks open the door to allow some circulation and the problems went away.
post #203 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 06:56 AM

I had the 360 installed Friday.

The first problem that I experienced was like many of you the DVI connection would work for 10 seconds or so then would go to a snowy screen. The installer said that he had already seen two bad recievers that day. So he installed a second reciever. Same problem. The temporary solution was to use the component cable instead.

Second problem was the intermittent picture and sound drop. I contacted Tier 2 Tech support they said that I had a connection problem between the dish and the reciever. So after running a new cable directly from the dish to the reciever I still have the same problem. D* will not admit that it is a problem with the reciever they think that it is the instalation. When I have a tivo reciever in another room that works fine. If any of yo find a solution please let all of us know.

Extremely frustrated,

Snyder4x4
post #204 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 07:13 AM

I have a tech guy coming out on Saturday to check my black out problems. They said the same thing about my wiring being bad even though the other receiver is ok. I guess I will humor them and let the guy look at it. I think that the black outs are caused by a software glitch in the IRD. It will just be a matter of time before a fix is out. Meanwhile I will ask dave to credit my account for programing and the $99 because the dish is not worth watching right now.
post #205 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 07:24 AM

Well, I have finally received my 360 this is replacing a 160. I took it out of the box and realize it is thinner than the 160.
I hooked up using DVI and I turned it on without the access card in it. Then the nightmare began....

After I realized that I didn't have the access card inside I turned it off and put it in and turned it back on. I then got error messages that I didn't have the right card etc...
I called D* and they told me to use the old access card and he did what he did on his end and then it started working. But when I started scanning for OTA channels it bought them in but it eliminated my local channels from D*
I have 1.2.03 with no patches...
I reset the box twice using both the red button and also by unplugging it.
Still no locals and now the OTA channels had a static sound whenever you change the channel. So I am like "great this is going well", so I called back D* and found out that I needed the New Access Card and she did something else and everything so far works fine and locals and OTA channels come in fine and no static sound is heard.

One thing I noticed is that I used two dual link DVI cables and none of them work. I used several single link DVI's and they work. Does anyone else had this issue?
BTW - DVI looks great, no darkness, color is fine and so far I do not have any issues.
A little nerve racking in the beginning but all is well now....
post #206 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing an experiment on the "blackouts". We could agree to watch HDN or DSHD (the two channels I've noticed it the most) for a 1/2 hour segment and log how many and at what time the glitches occur. I'd just be curious if they happen at the same time or with similar frequency.

I'm home today. Anyone else?

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
post #207 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
My new 360 has not been able to change colors nor translucency at all, right from the start. (Should I assume that I would see the changes 'on the fly' as soon as I move to, or at least 'select', the different options?)

Yes, Chris... they should change as soon as you arrow down to the new season from the drop-list and OK. That, combined w/ yopur x745, means a video problem., not an access card issue... call them.

Gary: here is my Part B. Thanks for the earlier info. I have no software patches today and I am still at 1.2.03 in the IRD info. I followed your thread exactly before going to 'standbye' via remote last night.

...BK
post #208 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 08:39 AM

BK EH,
This is not a video problem, it is a tier problem with the cam ID falling off the tier. (hacker message). Yet another glitch in the 360. I fixed mine by rebooting the IRD w/o the card in and then put the card back in and turn back on.
post #209 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cheezmo
I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing an experiment on the "blackouts". We could agree to watch HDN or DSHD (the two channels I've noticed it the most) for a 1/2 hour segment and log how many and at what time the glitches occur. I'd just be curious if they happen at the same time or with similar frequency.

I'm home today. Anyone else?

Me too we can start at 12:00 and leave it until 12:30 and compare notes....
I will leave it on beyond the 30 mins....
I live in the East Cost, Long Island....
post #210 of 2208 Old 02-16-2004, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

How about HDNet (I'm not remotely interested in the Wedding show on discovery).

Start at 12:00 eastern time (should be HDNet World Report). Log time of each blink. Report at 12:30.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page