VOOM offers great new deals! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 611 Old 06-16-2004, 05:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looney... please read the facts about the phone line requirement. If it is implemented (right now it is not enforced) it will not have to do with PPV, but with security.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 611 Old 06-16-2004, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

so i received my insider email and it contains exciting news about improved ota reception in the forthcoming software upddate, but when exactly is this update due?
post #453 of 611 Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Any day now....

post #454 of 611 Old 06-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Mine works great without the phone line.
post #455 of 611 Old 06-17-2004, 05:22 AM

It sounds like the phone hookup behaves no differently than current E*/D*. I've had my E* phone line disconnected for YEARS! However, I can't remember if the phone hookup was needed when I installed E* 5 years ago. Is the phone line hookup needed to establish VOOM service during the install?
post #456 of 611 Old 06-17-2004, 06:00 AM

Aren't the software updates and guide information delievered via the phone line like the Series 2 TiVo?

Just Curious

Warren in MN
post #457 of 611 Old 06-17-2004, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

No. Updates are through the dish. The phone line requirement is not currently being enforced, but they say it will be soon. It is a security measure to ensure your box is where you say it is.

post #458 of 611 Old 06-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
No. Updates are through the dish. The phone line requirement is not currently being enforced, but they say it will be soon. It is a security measure to ensure your box is where you say it is.
I wonder how that is going to help. Number portability, call forwarding, etc. would seem to make that a moot point. Maybe they have a GPS system in the box.:)

"I'm a fanatic without a cause and I believe in it!" - B. D. G.
post #459 of 611 Old 06-20-2004, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet

I assumed the phone line was for dial out only when you order Pay Per View when it's available.

How is the box going to answer the incoming call? I am sure users are not giving the box a private line, I know I have the lines setup for two boxes if and when I ever get Voom installed but it's the house line. So if they call the box the phone is going to ring and someone is going to answer probably hear modem type noises and hang up. I would think It would literally have to monitor every incoming call and grab the one that is for it before the phone had a chance to even ring.
post #460 of 611 Old 06-20-2004, 07:44 PM

I just had Voom installed two days ago and noticed that on any picture in 4:3 aspect ratio, about an inch or two of the left-hand side of the picture is cut off. This doesn't happen with HD material. I'm pretty sure it's not my Sony RPTV as I've adjusted the horizontal position (HPOS) in the service menu using the THX optimizer test (the one with the circle inside the rectangle). This edge cut-off is even visible in the small channel preview box that is shown when I enter the main menu so I'm assuming it's the signal to the TV that's the problem and not the TV itself. Anyone else with this problem and/or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

PS I am currently using a DVI cable... think I might not see this edge cut-off if I used component cables?

Chris

Michigan... Respect the Maize and Blue
post #461 of 611 Old 06-21-2004, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jagz
I just had Voom installed two days ago and noticed that on any picture in 4:3 aspect ratio, about an inch or two of the left-hand side of the picture is cut off. This doesn't happen with HD material. I'm pretty sure it's not my Sony RPTV as I've adjusted the horizontal position (HPOS) in the service menu using the THX optimizer test (the one with the circle inside the rectangle). This edge cut-off is even visible in the small channel preview box that is shown when I enter the main menu so I'm assuming it's the signal to the TV that's the problem and not the TV itself. Anyone else with this problem and/or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

PS I am currently using a DVI cable... think I might not see this edge cut-off if I used component cables?
what "mode" do you have the voom box output set to; i.e., open the little door on the lower right and press the red button. i have had problems with 720p (to my sammie dlp) and the autodetect modes. best bet is to set it so that only the top bar flashes (1080i mode).

give that a whirl; if that doesn't help, i know i've seen centering adjustments that can be made from the voom box in the setup screens. that would be my next stop if the first option didn't remedy the situation.
post #462 of 611 Old 06-21-2004, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Socio
I assumed the phone line was for dial out only when you order Pay Per View when it's available.

How is the box going to answer the incoming call? I am sure users are not giving the box a private line, I know I have the lines setup for two boxes if and when I ever get Voom installed but it's the house line. So if they call the box the phone is going to ring and someone is going to answer probably hear modem type noises and hang up. I would think It would literally have to monitor every incoming call and grab the one that is for it before the phone had a chance to even ring.
fairly certain that it places an outgoing call at an hour that you would be sleeping.
post #463 of 611 Old 06-21-2004, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

It calls out. It does not receive a call in.

post #464 of 611 Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jagz

I have the same problem with both my Voom STB and HD-HTLD STB using DVI on a RCA. Component doesn't have that problem. It is discussed a little bit here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=16012

Maybe there is more information on it in this forum somewhere. I simply switched over to Component cables to fix the problem.
post #465 of 611 Old 06-21-2004, 02:15 PM

I figured out what it was... I had the Motorola receiver set at "native."
Once I switched it to 1080i, the problem resolved.

Thanks to all those who replied!

Chris

Michigan... Respect the Maize and Blue
post #466 of 611 Old 06-26-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

heh, voom installer just left; i was having rain fade problems so he adjusted the dish...my signal power was below 70 (the bar was yellow) and he said that it should be above 70.

if i still have problems they'll give me the 30" dish; interestingly, when i asked about the new dish that voom would be swapping in he indicated that they haven't decided on a dish yet; they are experimenting wilth dishes to see what works best.

he said there was a unique dish that they were looking at; said it was flat, rectangular and the lnb is built into the dish (you don't see the lnb and the surface is flat).

as he was leaving i asked if he had been doing many voom installs, he looked at me and said, "i haven't done a directv install in over two months; i've been doing nothing but voom"

hehehe...

oh, he also said that apparently there are about 14,000 new boxes in inventory (i.e., new in that they have the new software on them). he was also surprised that the new software hadn't yet been downloaded onto mine; apparently he left a house not too far from my home (i'm in smithtown; the other house was in brentwood) that had the new software already on their receiver....so, hopefully any day for the update.
post #467 of 611 Old 06-26-2004, 04:50 PM

So, I've got version 5.68.
Anyone got any more recent one?

CB Gaines
South Florida
post #468 of 611 Old 06-26-2004, 08:25 PM

Sofware Update
Had my VOOM installed a few days ago here in
Westminster(Denver) CO. MY signal strength is 96 and
software version 5.68. The VOOM installer said he use install
Direct TV, now nothing but VOOM!
He said that they have been told by VOOM to expect the DVR in
about six weeks.
post #469 of 611 Old 06-27-2004, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

still75 commented:
> He said that they have been told by VOOM to expect the DVR in about six weeks. <

Cool! Thanks for the rumor. Mid-August would be impressive delivery. Even end of August would be great.

- Tim

- Tim
post #470 of 611 Old 06-28-2004, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

We've heard September fairly consistently... of course, we also heard November.

post #471 of 611 Old 06-28-2004, 11:16 AM

I really beleive the other "Big 2" sat providers really must think about some way to double and triple thier HD offerings. People who see HD programming like it and want more. True, VOOM's offerings are mostly crap but they truly do have about 15 quakity HD channels ---plus whatever locals you get. Dont forget--whenever something really cool comes out (SCIFI HDTV) ,Voom has 20 expendable slots to give to that channel.--no mess no fuss.

FARSCAPE SHALL RISE AGAIN!!
post #472 of 611 Old 06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattro
I really believe the other "Big 2" sat providers really must think about some way to double and triple thier HD offerings.

Dont forget--whenever something really cool comes out (SCIFI HDTV) ,Voom has 20 expendable slots to give to that channel.--no mess no fuss.

I agree with your first statement 100%.
I have the HD-TIVO and find that this $1000 piece of gear is used about 95% of the time to record SD stuff.

I am getting ready to dump Showtime because 1) they no longer have any original series that apeal to me
and 2) with the 1080i upscaling that the MYHD PC card does with DVD's, the PQ is nearly identical to SHOHD's and makes their SD channels also look nearly like 1080i so why spend money on Showtime?

Same thing with HBO.

That leaves the ONLY their HD pack (HDNET,DSCHD,etc.). Same thing with DISH.

I am anxiously awaiting the ZOOM DVR because if it is not a POS like the DISH 921 turned out to be, I may sell the HD-TIVO,get a SD Directv TIVO and only get the total choice for the SD channels and get VOOM form my HD stuff.

I don't agree with your second stament though. Directv has enough transponder capacity to easily add another HD channel.

BTW, SCI-FI channel in HD would be the 'killer app' just like Dscovery HD theater was the 'killer app' 2 years ago. That would be awesome.

Joe
post #473 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 06:39 AM

Liked: 13
I've been using Voom now for over a month and I've got issues with the signal being lost whenever it rains - which has been the last four weekends where I live (Long Island, NY). I hardly ever had this problem with DirectTV.

I contacted Voom and they confirmed that I'm getting a good signal - 77 - but they will dispatch a tech to checkout the cabling, connectors, etc.

Is anyone else having this issue and what's being done to resolve it?
post #474 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
... 2) with the 1080i upscaling that the MYHD PC card does with DVD's, the PQ is nearly identical to SHOHD's and makes their SD channels also look nearly like 1080i so why spend money on Showtime?
Joe
I'm not sure I understand the later part of this statement; how are you using the myHD card to upconvert "SD channels"? How are you using the myHD to watch Showtime programming as that is not OTA??

As for D* accomodating SciFi-HD, maybe they can add a channel or two, but I don't think they have enough to accomodate many more like VOOM has, especially when they go to MPEG4 compression towards the end of the year and bring the 2d bird online.
post #475 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RNaval
I've been using Voom now for over a month and I've got issues with the signal being lost whenever it rains - which has been the last four weekends where I live (Long Island, NY). I hardly ever had this problem with DirectTV.

I contacted Voom and they confirmed that I'm getting a good signal - 77 - but they will dispatch a tech to checkout the cabling, connectors, etc.

Is anyone else having this issue and what's being done to resolve it?
There are two numbers in the status screen, one is the signal quality and the other is the signal power. your signal power, according to the Installs installer that visited my home the other day (I'm on LI too), needs to be at least 70.

they came and peaked my dish; if i continue to experience rain fade they said they will install a larger dish. towards the end of this year they will begin replacing everyone's dish with the larger dish and that should eliminate or greatly reduce the rain problems.
post #476 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 08:58 AM

Voom installer just left. All signals are in the 90's for Voom and off air.
Software version is 6.0. He said that these were brand new boxes. He was so amazed at how easy it was to set up compared to the older boxes. Wife and I are completely happy with setup.

Bill
post #477 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah, the installer that came out to my home the other day to peak the dish mentioned that there were 14,000 new boxes out there; ;i questioned him what he meant by "new" since if there is a newer version of hardware i would, of course, want the latest and greatest :)

he said what he meant was that it had the new software but i wonder whether the boxes are physically different.

anyone know? anyone get the new software d/l yet?

i'm away from home so I can't check my unit...
post #478 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Billnut
Voom installer just left. ...
Software version is 6.0.
Bill
Mine is still 5.68 as posted 6/26.
Firmware is VI6.
post #479 of 611 Old 06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BenDover
I'm not sure I understand the later part of this statement; how are you using the myHD card to upconvert "SD channels"? How are you using the myHD to watch Showtime programming as that is not OTA??

Sorry about that chief:)
Yeah, that sentence did come out completely wrong.

That's what I get for being in a hurry.

I MEANT to say that I can get anything that SD Showtime shows on DVD and upscale that DVD to 1080i so it looks like HD Showtime.
post #480 of 611 Old 07-01-2004, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard what offer Voom will have after the current promotion ends on July 6th?
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page