post #541 of 611 Old 07-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by dailowai
Does anyone know how the sattelite install is done, would they just hook up the sattelite to my existing cable system or would they have to rewire everything?
As long as the cable is a high enough grade, they can use what you have. Just make sure that the installer writes on the contract that it was already there. Otherwise, they might try & take it if you decide you don't like VOOM.

I had them use my cables & mast that I had for D-network.

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 611 Old 07-26-2004, 05:03 PM

DNC from BOSTON IN HIGH DEF CHANNEL 999 == ALL WEEK

No commentary:)
post #543 of 611 Old 07-26-2004, 06:55 PM

I am considering Voom and stopped by the Voom store in the Twin Cities and chatted with a sales guy. Take it FWIW but he mentioned a couple interesting items.

First he was quite certain that the dvr could be rented when out. He didn't show any signs of doubt. Again, sales guy, but hey, it's something.

Secondly, he stated the 160GB capacity again and then added a 'or larger, it could change before being released'. It could be pure speculation on his part or maybe he heard something. Who knows, but I'm sharing with all the official warnings about the source.
post #544 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

FINALLY!!

noticed the receiver on this morning and i know i shut it down last night.

they upgraded the software...now i just have to figure out how to add the ota channels i want. the menus aren't exactly straightforward: aim antenna and scan local channels. not sure what the aim antenna menu is for but only had a few minutes this morning to play around.

is there a separate thread to discuss the v6 software?
post #545 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think we have a thread yet to discuss the new 6.1 software:

Changes in v6.1 include:
  • no microstutters
  • no sparklies(?)
  • translucent surfbar
  • faster channel surfing
  • support for locals in multiple DMAs
  • off-air channel scanning
post #546 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the Voom satellite service installed on the 26th. The installation took about 2 hours and went very smoothly. A separate OTA antenna was included for the local digital channels. The lead installer was very knowledgeable and thorough, but his helper was quite annoying. He kept trying to impress me with his knowledge of home theater, but most of what he tried to tell me I knew to be incorrect. I expressed my concern about being able to see the satellite through all the trees in my neighborhood, but the lead installer very optimistic as opposed to some of the other stories I've read on this thread.

I was surprised I was able to achieve signal strength of 95 considering the problems I've read about reception on the West Coast. Local channels are coming in at 99. The picture quality on the HD channels is very good, but it doesn't look noticeably better than my digital cable service, which I'm keeping until Voom comes out with a DVR - supposedly later this year. I've been told the best way to compare HD is to watch Jay Leno in HD OTA and then watch it on HD cable/satellite. The OTA broadcast is supposed to be the superior experience due to much higher data transmission rates. I’ll have to try this sometime.

The program guide is a little weak and it only has a about a 24 hour window so you can't see what comes on two or more days in advance. You can check the program guide on Voom's web site for a much larger time frame, however. I won't comment on the quality of the programming since everyone's tastes are different, but I can say that I haven't seen this much HD content anywhere else. I’m sure much of the programming is up converted from standard definition and I don’t know how much of it is in OAR. It will take some checking to determine that, but the service seems impressive so far.

The Motorola box came with version 6 software installed. Local channels were added using the scanning function, which is apparently a new feature with this version. Changing channels is fairly quick and there is only brief pixilation. The stretch function for making 4:3 content fill my 16:9 screen doesn't seem to work on the local channels. I assume that version 6.1 will be installed automatically when the box is not in use (turned off).

Ken
post #547 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

This may have been asked already, but does anyone know how to send the output from this box to a separate DVR - I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD provided by my cable service.

Ken
post #548 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Just use one of the 5 supported video output types (they are all active at the same time) and use Program Planner to select programs.

Ilya
post #549 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The program guide is a little weak and it only has a about a 24 hour window.

The stretch function for making 4:3 content fill my 16:9 screen doesn't seem to work on the local channels.
It takes time for the PG to load. It will be showing around 3 days after some time.

You cannot stretch HD channels with this STB. The black bars you might be seeing are part of the HD image.

Ilya
post #550 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
Just use one of the 5 supported video output types (they are all active at the same time) and use Program Planner to select programs.
That part is pretty obvious. I should have been more clear. My DVR has a single composite video input and analog L/R audio inputs. How can I force my DVR to record from these inputs instead of the cable TV input. There's nothing in the manual of my DVR that covers this. I though that there might be someone else out there that has played with this and made it work. I wonder if I disconnect the cable TV line if it will automatically switch to the other input on sensing a signal? I'll have to experiment with this.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Ken
post #551 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 03:33 PM

I am not familiar with your DVR, but maybe you can connect your cable to the VOOM STB and take the coax output to the DVR (using two pass-through RF coax connections on the left side of the STB if you look from the back). This way VOOM will pass through all your cable channels to the DVR and insert itself as a single RF channel (2 or 3). Would that work?

Ilya
post #552 of 611 Old 07-27-2004, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to give it a try and let you know.

Thanks,

Ken
post #553 of 611 Old 07-30-2004, 02:58 PM

Getting VOOM installed tues.

I do not have a landline, and after seeing that many others have VOOM sans landline I went ahead. Should I feign ignorance and just have him hook up to a jack, or should I be up front?

I understand what the phone line is used for, and if (when) they do decide to enforce security I will cross that bridge then.
post #554 of 611 Old 07-30-2004, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had it for several mnoths now and haven't had the phone line in yet. If I was you I just wouldn't mention it, and let the installer plug it in if he wants to. Don't tell him right away he won't be doing his job correctly. Even though he'd probably continue, it's probably just better not to.

Go Broncos!
post #555 of 611 Old 07-31-2004, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
I am not familiar with your DVR, but maybe you can connect your cable to the VOOM STB and take the coax output to the DVR (using two pass-through RF coax connections on the left side of the STB if you look from the back). This way VOOM will pass through all your cable channels to the DVR and insert itself as a single RF channel (2 or 3). Would that work?
I finally got around to trying your suggestion today. Running my digital cable service through the Voom box and then to the cable box works, but with some caveats:

1. The cable box has to stay on Channel 3.
2. None of the cable channels can be tuned in when the Voom box is on (they can when the Voom box is off).
3. The picture from the Voom box is of fairly poor quality and it is window boxed on my 16:9 screen. Black bars on the top and bottom and grey bars on the sides. This was with HD and SD channels.
4. In order to record something, the Voom box must be on and tuned to the channel you want to record. Using the program guide on the cable box, you have to select whatever comes on channel 3 at the same time the program you want to record on Voom starts. Depending on what programming is scheduled for cable channel 3, the end time can be anywhere from right on the dot to few hours over.

There may be a way to have the Voom box change channels unattended using the Program Planner, but I didn't get that far in my tests. The poor picture quality issue kind of blew it for me.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. It was worth a try.

Ken
post #556 of 611 Old 08-01-2004, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by K_Thompson
The picture from the Voom box is of fairly poor quality and it is window boxed on my 16:9 screen. Black bars on the top and bottom and grey bars on the sides. This was with HD and SD channels.
You should be able to fix this in Picture Format Settings menu. Change "Wide to Narrow" line from "Letterbox" to "Squeeze" or "Crop".

Quote:
In order to record something, the Voom box must be on and tuned to the channel you want to record.
Just add the program to the Program Planner, and change the behavior to "Auto On".

Good luck!

Ilya
post #557 of 611 Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I'll give it another try with the settings you suggest.
post #558 of 611 Old 08-02-2004, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

All Voom channels are now displayed in a 4:3 window on my 16:9 screen. They are no longer window boxed. However, the picture quality is still pretty crappy. It was worth a try, but I think I'll wait till Voom comes out with its own PVR to do any recording.
post #559 of 611 Old 08-02-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by K_Thompson
All Voom channels are now displayed in a 4:3 window on my 16:9 screen. They are no longer window boxed. However, the picture quality is still pretty crappy. It was worth a try, but I think I'll wait till Voom comes out with its own PVR to do any recording.
I don't know about DVRs (although I do have a D*net PVR) for recording VOOM, but I sometimes record VOOM HD movies onto my VCR (remember those?) from the RF output. When I play them back on my HDTV, I just choose the "Full" size option and -voila- an unsqueezed, SD 16:9 pic.

CB Gaines
VOOMing since 4/04
post #560 of 611 Old 08-03-2004, 04:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

I record all day every day on my Replays from Voom. Looks great.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #561 of 611 Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 AM

I'm really very happy with the new software that allows one to search for HD/DT OTA channels:)

I was able to get SIX 6 channels from 80 miles plus east of me in Indianapolis and Lafayette IN. Also, I get some to the west of me which are about 60 miles away.

GO VOOM and thanks so very much.

cheers,

Geoffrey
post #562 of 611 Old 08-04-2004, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I wish the new software had addressed the many shortcomings of their guide, but the extra OTA scanning is nice. Only problem is I now lose picture on OTA stations when I tune another station, then flip back to the OTA channel. If I hit the Voom button, the picture appears in the small inset window and when I hit the watch button - everything is fine. Anyone else have a similar problem?
post #563 of 611 Old 08-05-2004, 06:30 PM

Quick (probably very dumb) question...I just had Voom installed today. I was trying to connect via Component cables but it seems that the only way I see picture is if the coaxial cable is connected from the Voom output to my TV coaxial input.

Is this correct? Shouldn't I be able to just use component for picture & rca jacks for audio (no receiver upstairs) and bypass the coaxial connection altogether???
post #564 of 611 Old 08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

While you can see the picture with your coax, go into the menu and make sure the VOOM setting is set to a setting your TV will accept. i.e. 1080i 720p Etc. if your setting was set to 720p buy the installer, and your display doesn't accept 720p, then you will have a blank screen.

Mike
post #565 of 611 Old 08-08-2004, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

has voom always had usa network or am i just crazy and have been missing it all this time???
post #566 of 611 Old 08-08-2004, 11:20 PM

Okay...got some more dumb questions regarding Voom...

1. Is there a "previous channel" function on the Voom remote that I am overlooking?

2. Is there a clock/channel display on the Voom Box? It appears there is a place for this but neither of my boxes light up.

3. Is that a USB connection between the DVI & RF Coaxial connection? Is so...why?

4. One of my HDTVs has the HDMI input and I was curious if anyone has there Voom box connected that way & if so how? Is there a DVI to HDMI connection? Is there any difference in the picture quality if I do this instead of component (or is it worth the cost for the connection)?

Thanks. I am sure some of these answers are hidden in the 29 pages of this thread but i don't want to spend 10 hours searching for them.

By the way...I am loving Voom. I have only been installed for 4 days but I have had no problems so far.
post #567 of 611 Old 08-09-2004, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BenDover
has voom always had usa network or am i just crazy and have been missing it all this time???
It was added a week ago.

post #568 of 611 Old 08-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Okay...got some more dumb questions regarding Voom...

1. Is there a "previous channel" function on the Voom remote that I am overlooking?

2. Is there a clock/channel display on the Voom Box? It appears there is a place for this but neither of my boxes light up.

3. Is that a USB connection between the DVI & RF Coaxial connection? Is so...why?

4. One of my HDTVs has the HDMI input and I was curious if anyone has there Voom box connected that way & if so how? Is there a DVI to HDMI connection? Is there any difference in the picture quality if I do this instead of component (or is it worth the cost for the connection)?

Thanks. I am sure some of these answers are hidden in the 29 pages of this thread but i don't want to spend 10 hours searching for them.

By the way...I am loving Voom. I have only been installed for 4 days but I have had no problems so far.

1. It's the button labled back.:rolleyes: :D

2. Not that I know of. But yea, your right about the read out being there.

3, 4 = Go here & look or ask. http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=24

post #569 of 611 Old 08-11-2004, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Brianluvdvd, IMO there is a meaningful difference in PQ with component versus DVI. It's not overwhelming but definitely is there and in favor of DVI.

Dan
post #570 of 611 Old 08-11-2004, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Are the VOOM deals over with? Looks like it...
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page