post #181 of 611 Old 03-13-2004, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
Ouch... so you still don't have it?
Also, what's up with the guy trying to get your DirecTivo? Can you explain that a bit? I can't image why that would happen.
I think the initial D* HDTV promotion was to 'swap' on receiver for another, but the marketing department did not take into account DVR folks that wanted to keep their DVR's. The installer said the only way he could install the HD-STB would be if he uninstalled and collected any 'one' receiver from my home. Well, I had two DirecTiVo units and he wasn't getting either.

Strangely, he did not want to call either D* or his dispatcher/supervisor for clarification so I asked him to leave. His supe called back, apologized, and then he called D*. After about four hours D* told them to install the HD-STB without collecting a receiver and then came the 2nd, 3rd, and finally the 4th appointments.

In the end I got a 4x8 cascadable multiswitch out of it and another apology from, this time from D*'s customer retention department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 611 Old 03-13-2004, 02:58 PM

I got voom yesterday but it was pretty easy to install the dish, and I got the signal here in Yucca Valley 120 miles east of LA, and the dish is facing south east and almost vertical to the ground. Yesterday I got signal strength of 60 and today was in low 50s. Not sure the cause of this. but still HD TV channels r just too good, wish they add more channels, I will keep voom. The receiver is not great, pretty buggy, any new satellite company and new service I can expect that. It keeps reminding me of my dishplayer days when it had all sorts of problems. If more people subscribe they will have more beta testers and they can fix more problems and pretty soon the service will get better:D
post #183 of 611 Old 03-13-2004, 11:20 PM

I finally got Voom installed on the second try. The first time the installer came out and said no line of sight. I knew better and even posted here for help. The second guy came out and also said no way. I then showed him my compass and my print out of where the dish was to point reference my zip code. He still said it wouldn't work. I told him it would. Then he said if I really wanted him to try it he would but that it would cost me $85 if he couldn't get the signal. 15 minutes later I had 49% on the meter and a great picture on all channels.
It's just my opinion but I feel that the installers that Voom is using are just lazy. I was told that Voom will pay them $25 just for coming out and putting no line of sight on the paper. But I was also told that the $25 that my first installer got would be taken back from him since this second installer got it working. Moral of the story is not to give up and don't take the installer's word if he says no. My only gripe about Voom is how long it takes to change the channel. Very annoying.
post #184 of 611 Old 03-14-2004, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree.

I highly recommend you print out the angle of the dish, and use a compass to see where it points. That wya you can look for yourself and get a good idea if you can get a signal or not.

Go Broncos!
post #185 of 611 Old 03-14-2004, 08:08 AM

Where can you get a printout for the angle of the VOOM satellite?

I couldn't find it on their website.

Thanks
post #186 of 611 Old 03-14-2004, 02:00 PM

Try this link linkified for your convenience , download the program unzip it,put your zip and choose 61.5 satellite
post #187 of 611 Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the 2nd installer showed up last Firday at the scheduled time. After taking some measurements with his compass (at ground level) he concluded that I wouldn't have any problem getting a signal. Unfortunately, he didn't have the hardware to do the installation (as he doesn't work with the same company as the 1st installer). He will get the hardware sometime this week and schedule installation.
I asked him why the 1st installer reported "no lign sight", even after measuring at the highest point on top of the house. The only comment he made was: "I've been doing installations for 11 years. Not everyone has the same experience..."
I'm a little skeptical about this installer making it look too easy. But the way that I interpret it is that at least he will try hard...
I'll post later during the week what happen...

Walter
post #188 of 611 Old 03-15-2004, 11:07 AM

I got Voom installed over the weekend and here are some of my findings:

Telephone Line
---------------
It has been implied in this thread that a phone line is required for the initial Voom hookup, and the CSRs at Voom confirmed this. This is not true. A PHONE LINE IS NOT REQUIRED.

I scheduled for phone service to be activated and ran a new outlet near my TV prior to my Voom installation, but I couldn't get the service activated sooner than today. (I normally use cellular service exclusively.)

I watched Voom all weekend and it worked fine without a phone line. The receiver was able to download the program guide without any phone line. The installer said the phone line is only required for pay-per-view, just like with other dish services.

I have noticed that I'm not able to use the Program Planner feature of the receiver (where you can select future programs from the guide and have the receiver automatically switch to that program when they start). I'm wondering if the Program Planner might require the phone connection for some reason. Does the Program Planner work for anyone else?

Channel Load Time
-----------------------------
People have been complaining about how long it takes for channels to load. My Voom receiver takes about 4 seconds to display a channel, but my TV took the same amount of time to switch between digital OTA channels. I think this might just be the nature of the beast and it won't get much faster.

Local Channels
-------------------------
I have two good UHF antennas on my roof that were my only HD signal source before Voom. I was able to receive the digital channels of the 3 networks, Fox, and PBS with no problems. Four of the five transmitters are about 40 miles away in the same location. For those I use a high-gain directional UHF antenna. One transmitter is under 4 miles away and required a separate low-gain antenna since it was 140 degrees away from the other transmitters.

My TV, which has a built-in ATSC tuner, was able to receive all these stations without any problem, but now the antennas are going to the receiver and it is only able to display one of these local channels. (I'm using my pre-existing UHF antennas - I never installed the Stealth antenna included in the Voom package.) Has anyone else had this problem?

Conclusion
---------------------
So far I'm very impressed with the service. I get the Va-Va-Voom package for free until the end of May with the deal I signed up for and I get so much more HD programming now than what I got with an antenna, it's mind-boggling.

The picture quality is excellent. I spent a good part of the weekend watching fasion models walking down the runway in HD. I couldn't care less about fashion, but those girls... well, anyway.

If you don't have landline phone service and that's keeping you from signing up with Voom, don't believe what the CSRs at Voom tell you. It will work. I have yet to determine if a phone connection is used for anything other than pay-per-view.
post #189 of 611 Old 03-15-2004, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally posted by YNOS
I got Voom installed over the weekend and here are some of my findings:

Telephone Line
---------------
It has been implied in this thread that a phone line is required for the initial Voom hookup, and the CSRs at Voom confirmed this. This is not true. A PHONE LINE IS NOT REQUIRED.

I have noticed that I'm not able to use the Program Planner feature of the receiver
It's been confirmed that STB upgrades in the future will require the phone line to be attached. I had mine activated without a phone line installed myself.

Program Planner is not functional at the moment from what I've read.

Bill
post #190 of 611 Old 03-15-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

PP is hopefully going to be in the next software push, which is due to begin in the next couple of weeks. The push after that is the one they said might require a landline.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #191 of 611 Old 03-15-2004, 09:08 PM

I just ordered Voom to be installed on saturday. I ordered mainly on the great reviews I've read on this forum. I have to admit to still feeling a little on the cautious side based on the last two days.

When I went to my local sears and asked about voom I got a look of total indifference from the sales staff. They acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Then when I pressed for more info one of them went to the back and gave me a pamphlet that was from around the time of the Voom launch. Then, when I got on the phone with Voom to order, the background noise was really loud and chaotic sounding and I had to give all my information about 3-4 times. She said she wanted to make sure the computer was getting it all. She said her computer had been acting screwy all day.

At the end of the day I have to say she was very polite, seemed genuinely interested in helping me, and she asked me when the install(Day & Time) would be convenient for me. I just think the offer they have on the table is worth taking a chance. Wish me luck!
post #192 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 07:10 AM

They say he who hesitates is lost but I had a very similar experience at my local Sears over the weekend, it didn't seem as if anyone wanted to sell me Voom, they couldn't show it to me because it was so new that they hadn't had time to hook it up yet (yea...right) and when I pressed them when it would be available for viewing I was told in a month or two. It's hard to argue with the no money up front offer that they have on the table right now but I still think I am going to hold off until they get some more of the bugs worked out of the STB.

Tom
post #193 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Sears people suck. Sears management knows it, and Voom knows it. When I posted my bad Sears epxerience in the Voom list I got emails both from Voom reps and from 2 Sears district managers in my area wanting to assist me. It made me comfortable enough to buy.

-MP

post #194 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 07:28 AM

Don't blame Sears for Voom's decision to use them as a retail vendor. That was Voom's decision, not Sear's decision.

I cannot begin to think that Sears does as much business in selling HD-capable (or even HD-compatible) display devices when compared to Best Buy, Circuit City, and Hi-Fi Buy (Tweeter), and some of the other large chains. I am still lost in wonder why they (Voom) did not target HT boutique shops that dang near cater to the clients that can more easily afford HD-capable display devices.
post #195 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

*shrug* I worked in retail electronics for a while. I wanted to know what it was I was selling. I do blame Sears associates for being apathetic and completely unresponsive when it comes to Voom. Especially since I saw a list of the freaking bonuses they get for selling these systems! When I worked retail, I would have busted my ass to sell every person who walked in Voom. It could have doubled my income :)

-MP

post #196 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

The decision by VOOM to use Sears to market VOOM is about as illogical, irrational, and incompetent a decision as using Smiley Auto Sales to sell Plasmas. Although you might actually sell more plasmas that way then VOOM boxes at Sears.

The CEO of Sears must have a brother-in-law at VOOM or something at Sears, as Sears was incredibly lucky to get the distribution. I makes no business sense at all. IMO, it damages VOOM and its reputation. It will only lead to a rockier startup condition, and encourage the potential for failure. They should have gone with CC, GG, or other reputable companies.

I might purchase a washing machine or a wrench at Sears, but dealing with them on matters as sophisticated a HDTV will only lead to frustration as one is guarenteed to speak only with unqualified individuals that do not even know what the HD in HDTV stands for, etc., etc.

True stupidity in its finest form.

Boat name: Summer Compromise; Power train: twin 490 HP (w ATI Prochargers); A/V: sufficient
post #197 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by b00bie
It's hard to argue with the no money up front offer that they have on the table right now but I still think I am going to hold off until they get some more of the bugs worked out of the STB.
Tom [/b]
I felt the same way but the VOOM web site highlights that this is a limited time offer. So I decided to go ahead and will have my installation this Friday.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #198 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 11:13 AM

I figured out the problem I was having earlier where my Voom receiver wasn't picking up the local channels (my mistake), except now I'm having the opposite problem - it's showing CBS twice and NBC six times! Five of the six NBC channels just give me a "no signal" error.

Is there a way to turn off redundant/non-working local channels in the Voom receiver?

Other than the redundant channels, the Voom receiver does a good job at integrating the local channels. You can even look forward in the guide to see the future programming, and see which shows are in HD.
post #199 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter L.
I'm a little skeptical about this installer making it look too easy. But the way that I interpret it is that at least he will try hard...
All an installer needs is a $125.00 Inclinometer and no guess work ever again. {bought mine uused on Ebay for $75.00}
http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suu...npage.frameset

You can also make one with a level, compase and angle.
post #200 of 611 Old 03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Compromise (sorry - dunno how to quote you and include here-) - you have that right, about level of competence at Sears. In the past, I have checked there for SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD players. You woulda thought I was on the set on Mayberry RFD, by the looks on their faces.

Course, a year and a half ago I was also told at the local BB that there was no such thing as SACD, since the department manager had never heard of it - therefore it didn't exist. Good thing no one goes in those places LOOKING for information.l

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #201 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 05:09 AM

Marshal, there is a 'Quote' button for every post and reply.

Wingnut, you are assuming that installers want to invest in tools of their trade.
post #202 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, the 2nd installer showed up last Firday at the scheduled time. After taking some measurements with his compass (at ground level) he concluded that I wouldn't have any problem getting a signal. Unfortunately, he didn't have the hardware to do the installation (as he doesn't work with the same company as the 1st installer). He will get the hardware sometime this week and schedule installation.
I asked him why the 1st installer reported "no lign sight", even after measuring at the highest point on top of the house. The only comment he made was: "I've been doing installations for 11 years. Not everyone has the same experience..."
The 2nd installation attempt was successful!! PQ is astonishing. Never seen something like that on my Panny PX20U. Last night I was able to watch "Artic Mission" on Discovery HD.:)

Walter
post #203 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great Walter :) Glad you were able to get it.

post #204 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 03:11 PM

I get a call from Voom today wanting to know when they can come out to install. I explained I cancelled the service and the equipment was picked up 23 days ago.

I am waiting for the guaranteed refund.

This was an install company and said Voom sent them a replacement receiver for the defected one. Hmmm! Welcome to Voom.

My call to voom cannot be answered due to a high volume of calls at this time.

I was originally told it would take seven to ten days to receive my refund.

I hope others who were not happy with the service has better luck than I.

windoor.
post #205 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
The 2nd installation attempt was successful!! PQ is astonishing. Never seen something like that on my Panny PX20U. Last night I was able to watch "Artic Mission" on Discovery HD.:)
Good deal Walter!

Never say never. :)

Bill
post #206 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Windoor: Don't scare me like this. I just bought the $50.00 "kit" from Sears.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #207 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

windoor, Can I ask how long you had Voom service before cancelling? I have had it for 3 weeks now and I am very happy. When you did cancel what was your biggest reason?

To any one else who has Voom. Do you navigate hitting the green HD button? If you do, does it skip one of the cinemax HD channels on your set? It would be nice if that button scrolled through all HD as it is suppposed to, especiallyl when a new station comes on board that we may not no about....
post #208 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 04:44 PM

I think he canceled because he was having problems that didn't get resolved. And by his reply above it looks like he's still having problems.
post #209 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by keithaxis
To any one else who has Voom. Do you navigate hitting the green HD button? If you do, does it skip one of the cinemax HD channels on your set?
The green button works correctly! It only skips HD channels if the current movie/program is not identified as HD in the Program Guide. Unlike VOOM's exclusive channels wich are always HD, "premium" channels like StarzHD or MaxHD often show SD upconverts. In most cases (not always) the PG correctly identifies HD programs with [HD] simbol. The green button lets you navigate through channels that show programs that are explicitly marked as HD in PG.

Ilya
post #210 of 611 Old 03-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

cool, thanks for the info.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page