New Voom Software is here! Tuesday 3/23/04 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of last night I still don't have the updated software. I am looking forward to the channels changing quicker especially if they change more quickly than directv. I put the receiver in standby mode last night so hopefully it will be good to go tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 07:32 AM

I tried hitting the info button numerous times last night trying to get it to lock up. It wont do it. I know I have the software update, channel changing is lightening fast, I have the warning about messing with the settings in the menu, and have the right version listed in my settings. Now, my box is new, I got voom installed last saturday, so who knows....
post #63 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

wmcc3, I had not had the update last night either. So I replugged in the phone line to the voom box, reboot the voom box by hold down the power button adn the arrow down button for 5 seconds and when it came back up the new updated software was on the box and all was much, much smoother.....try rebooting if you dont' yet have the update.
post #64 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 07:30 AM

Ever since the 5.5C software download, I've been getting occasional video dropouts when using the DVI input (about once every half hour). These dropouts don't occur with the component inputs, and they didn't happen with DVI before the software download. I understand that 5.5C enabled HDCP for the first time, and I'm wondering if that's the problem. This would be the first time the TV has been used with an HDCP signal, so I don't know whether to blame the Voom STB or the TV set.

I guess I'll use the component inputs for the time being since I see essentially no difference in quality between DVI and component, except that the picture is offset slightly right. The Voom STB horizontal and vertical position controls no longer work, but I don't know if that's an issue with 5.5C or with the box hardware, which was replaced with an upgraded one a couple weeks ago.
post #65 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 05:30 PM

A recent posting from Wilt:

Okay gang, an update:

With the help of all the field data we've gotten, we (Moto and OpenTv) have identified two defects that likely account for many if not all crashes/freezes.

1) Changing channels while a channel map is being acquired (OTA or SAT) will cause an immediate crash.

2) Using the INFO button to pull up the half-screen program description overwrites memory, causing a later crash.

You might want to avoid the above. We believe that #2 above is what is causing the majority of problems in the field. At this point, we have not been able to reproduce the symptom with any other popup (SurfBar etc seems fine), but now that Moto knows what to look for we will inspect all other popup-rendering routines for similar defect, just to be safe.

We expect to have an engineering build sometime Monday with fixes to #1 and #2 above that we will flash into lab units and test.

We also have simple/safe fixes in progress for defects related to the following:

3) System Status screens not displaying number of sat and ota channels.

4) When a program is "blacked out" in an area, the black out works for the intended channel however the popup stays up on the first channel change. A second channel change removes the popup restoring normal operation.

5) DVI flashing every several seconds.

At this point I am planning on build of beta download including all above items ASAP, likely Wed.

Thanks,

Wilt

Ilya
post #66 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. Good to know to avoid the INFO button for the time being until the software update.

Sean Dudley
post #67 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 06:08 PM

Do you need the phone line to get this update? As of now, I still haven't received it.
post #68 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 06:38 PM

No, the phone line is not required for this update. May be they decided to defer updates until the fix is ready? Just a guess.

Ilya
post #69 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
A recent posting from Wilt:

5) DVI flashing every several seconds.

At this point I am planning on build of beta download including all above items ASAP, likely Wed.

Thanks,

Wilt
Awesome! I am SOOOOO looking forward to this fix. :)
post #70 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is there a place to recommend minor software changes for a future update?

Just in case, here's some that I'd like to see. All pretty minor.:

1) pulling up the guide with only one button press, then maybe a toggle between ALL, HD, FAV, etc.

2) An option for more channel lines on the guide

3) Have the Watch button function similar to Exit or Clear buttons so when you hit Watch it goes to current program with no Surf Bar.

4) Increase time frame of surf bar and put start and finish times up. The way it is now, you can't tell if you are in the beginning or end of a movie. make it show 90 minutes and either have a cursor at current time or better yet have the surf bar scroll left as time progresses so you could always have a 90 min view ahead.

5) Put the current time on the detailed info screen.

6) have the guide scroll as you go up or down instead of jumping a page at a time.

7) allow the page button to change channels.

8) when they add channel scan, either allow manual entry of channels, or make sure it remembers what channels you can get in case you move the antenna and re-scan for those of us with rotors.
post #71 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 06:02 AM

Hi just wondering if the jvc vcr for high definition will work with Voom receiver it says it needs a firewall and I DON'T know if voom has that? Help Jeanie
post #72 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Er... no. It requires FIREWIRE :). The Voom receiver does not (currently) have firewire. It might in the future. The only record option you have is a WVHS VCR.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #73 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
1) pulling up the guide with only one button press, then maybe a toggle between ALL, HD, FAV, etc.
CPanther95,

Your first request is actually implemented. The FAV button brings the PG showing your favorite channels, and after that you can use red and yellow buttons to change the search criteria.

The WATCH button behavior has been improved in the latest version. It does work as an exit button in virtually all situations, except that the Surf Bar stays on in some cases for an extra 3 seconds.

Ilya
post #74 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Getting back on topic...

As per Robert Packman's post in a different thread, an Executive Vice President at Cablevision, also director of engineering at VOOM, has now publicly stated that HDCP was added because it was required by new contracts for HDTV channels. In otherwords, they had no choice. Contracts for channels signed two years ago didn't require HDCP, but apparently that has changed.
post #75 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The WATCH button behavior has been improved in the latest version. It does work as an exit button in virtually all situations, except that the Surf Bar stays on in some cases for an extra 3 seconds.
I really liked how they fixed this. I'm used to changing and hitting exit right away on D*. It was a pain for me to hit watch several times to get menus etc to go away.

Go Broncos!
post #76 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 03:47 PM

I was wondering has anyone else noticed this problem. Twice now, I have noticed a grouping of pixels on my plasma just to the right of center that are glaring white all the time. At first, It thought it was my new plasma, but I noticed when I switched to D, It went away, and when I returned to Voom, it was back. All I have to do to correct this problem is turn off (standby) and back on the STB.
post #77 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
CPanther95,

Your first request is actually implemented. The FAV button brings the PG showing your favorite channels, and after that you can use red and yellow buttons to change the search criteria.
Nice, I'll use that now....It's a shame the big ass VOOM button wont get used (by me anyway) what a waste of "prime real estate"

Quote:
I only had the boxes a few hours before I got the update, so I can't really comment on the improvement. What I'm referring to is the 3 second Surf Bar requiring a second push on the button.

I guess they don't want to just copy D*'s format, but D* has the benefit of 10 years of competition between a number of companies trying to come up with the most user friendly interface. It is very intuitive. The surf bar is meaningless to me. I rarely use it on my D* boxes and I didn't use it when I had E* briefly. Now that they have P-I-G, a surf bar has become less important.

It seems V* is trying to bring up the surf bar as if it is the channel info like D* has on the top of the screen. Only problem is, it doesn't have the info you like to see briefly. You get all info, except description, at a glance at D*'s top bar - more info than you get on both presses of the V* Info button.
post #78 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
The surf bar is meaningless to me.
I guess it's a matter of preference. I use SurfBar most of the time, much more often than the full PG. I like that I can check other channels and future programs without leaving the main on-screen action. And since I rarely watch any programs with commercial breaks - this is really important for me. And I don't have to scroll through all channels: for example, I can browse HD channels only, if I want to. And if I want to see the program details I can press the info button (not recommended until the patch is released!) and it will give me pretty much the same level of detail as the PG, including star-ratings, movie year, genre, and a brief description. In the old version the SurfBar was limited to 6 hours. Now I can scroll 2-3 days ahead if I want to. Very convenient!

Ilya
post #79 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hi-vac
I was wondering has anyone else noticed this problem. Twice now, I have noticed a grouping of pixels on my plasma just to the right of center that are glaring white all the time. At first, It thought it was my new plasma, but I noticed when I switched to D, It went away, and when I returned to Voom, it was back. All I have to do to correct this problem is turn off (standby) and back on the STB.
hi-vac, I don't remember anyone reporting a similar problem, but try this:
1. Unplug your STB for a few seconds. Plug it back in and wait several minutes before switching the channels.
2. Try changing the output resolution by pressing the red button behind the door with Motorola logo.
3. If you are using DVI output, try component output instead, see if it makes a difference.
If the above doesn't help, contact VOOM and request a replacement STB. Might be a hardware defect.

Ilya
post #80 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hi-vac, I don't remember anyone reporting a similar problem, but try this:
1. Unplug your STB for a few seconds. Plug it back in and wait several minutes before switching the channels.
2. Try changing the output resolution by pressing the red button behind the door with Motorola logo.
3. If you are using DVI output, try component output instead, see if it makes a difference.
If the above doesn't help, contact VOOM and request a replacement STB. Might be a hardware defect.
I saw them also. I use a component cable I changed channels and it went away.
post #81 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Hi-vac, I've noticed this problem on occasion with my Sony HD200 on D*. I haven't noticed it on the Voom box yet. As you've found, switching the box off and on seems to cure it. On the HD200 it's usually just one pixel that's glaring white.
post #82 of 100 Old 03-28-2004, 10:06 PM

I saw it last night on the Voom box for the first time. I changed the channel then changed back to the one I was watching and it was gone.

Bob
post #83 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 05:58 AM

I got the update finally and what a difference it makes. I had a Hughes e86 from Directv and I would have to say that the voom box is faster than the e86. There are a couple of things on my wish list for a new software release. Keeping your place in the guide when you are surfing channels is a big one. Right now it is kind of a pain. I would also love to be able to customize my favorites into different catagories like the e86 did.

When I first got the box I was dissappointed at the speed of going from channel to channel but I wanted to give it time. This software update really makes it better. I have not had the issue with the info button locking up the unit. I have not had a lockup yet on the voom receiver but I have only had it for a couple of weeks.
post #84 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techweb
Ever since the 5.5C software download, I've been getting occasional video dropouts when using the DVI input (about once every half hour). These dropouts don't occur with the component inputs, and they didn't happen with DVI before the software download. I understand that 5.5C enabled HDCP for the first time, and I'm wondering if that's the problem. This would be the first time the TV has been used with an HDCP signal, so I don't know whether to blame the Voom STB or the TV set.

I guess I'll use the component inputs for the time being since I see essentially no difference in quality between DVI and component, except that the picture is offset slightly right. The Voom STB horizontal and vertical position controls no longer work, but I don't know if that's an issue with 5.5C or with the box hardware, which was replaced with an upgraded one a couple weeks ago.
I'm seen exactly the same problem. Does anybody know if this is the same problem that Wilt acknowledged and listed as "DVI flashing every several seconds"

Walter
post #85 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I saw exacly the problem twice Friday night (if I remember correcly the technical term is "sticky pixels"). I haven't see it anymore since then.
I was worry about my display (thanks God is not). Does anybody know the official way to report problems to VOOM? Is it through Wilt? where?

Walter
post #86 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, usually by email or on the Yahoo Voom group list.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #87 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Does Anyone know IF WE NEED THE PHONE JACK for Updates?
Is the phone jack on the Voom Reciever only for updates?
Do we HAVE to have the phone hookup???

Also - If I have 2 recievers in the house with only ONE reciever connected to the phone...
Would a telephone update hange the firmware in my second reciever (even though it was not connected to the phone jack)????

thanks, technoreid
post #88 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 735
You do not need the phone jack for the current update. However, Wilt Hildebrand of Voom indicates future updates will require a connected phone line.
post #89 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Yes, usually by email or on the Yahoo Voom group list.
I couldn't find it. Can you post a link?

Walter
post #90 of 100 Old 03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM

That wasn't that hard, wasn't it? :p

Hong.

i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page