The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 16266 Old 10-23-2004, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I wanted to try using more than one antenna for HD (one indoor, the other possibly outdoors) because of different required directions, do I need to use a switch, or can I just run both inputs "backwards" through a splitter?

Steve
Sunnyvale, SI

SI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 16266 Old 10-23-2004, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As far as all those so called high priced yagi's like Telves and Db they offer nothig more than a pretty antenna and alot higher price. I have tried some of these antennas in the toughest of areas. The CAtskill and Allegheny mountains of N.Y. state. These are tru test areas for antenna specs. Thes best antenna ive seen is the Winegards.

rwantennasat,

I've done extensive comparison b/w the Winegard PR9032 and the Televes DAT 75 and I'll have to disagree with you here. The 9032 is a good antenna especially for the price but the Televes beats it consistently up and down the uhf spectrum in long distance reception.

I'll be interested to see your proposed new parabolic antennas.

One criticism of the parabolics is they're prone to multipath which is a bane to digital reception. The relatively low front to back ratio can also be problematic but improved by screening the dish. The 5th generation chip due out soon is supposed to improve reception in multipath prone areas so maybe the dish designs will become more attractive. Of course, wind load and weight are major considerations as well.
post #453 of 16266 Old 10-24-2004, 12:57 PM
bec

I've searched the thread but could not find a specific answer to this question. I have a UHF and a VHF antenna going through a CM 7777. The mast is grounded. Do I still need to install a grounding block, and if so where should it go?
post #454 of 16266 Old 10-24-2004, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do I still need to install a grounding block, and if so where should it go?

Yes, right before the coax enters the house is ideal.
post #455 of 16266 Old 10-24-2004, 03:45 PM
bec

Quote:

Originally posted by cpcat
Yes, right before the coax enters the house is ideal.

Thanks for the reply. However, doesn't the coax carry voltage to the pre-amp and won't this short the static discharge block?
post #456 of 16266 Old 10-24-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, doesn't the coax carry voltage to the pre-amp and won't this short the static discharge block?

No. Only the shield is grounded when you run the coax through the grounding block.
post #457 of 16266 Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mdputnam
... Other than looks and price is there anything else that puts the Silver sensor on top?

The Silver Sensor is more directional than the DB2. Some people need a directional antenna to block multipath. Others don't. For people with stations in different directions and no MP problems, a less directional antenna like the DB2 or CM 4221 may be a better choice, because it might get all their stations without reaiming the antenna every time they change channels.

There is no "top" antenna. The best antenna for you depends on station frequencies being used, distance, transmitter power, location & height and terrain. The best antenna for you may be completely different than for someone in another town, or even for your next door neighbor.
post #458 of 16266 Old 10-25-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bec
... I have a UHF and a VHF antenna going through a CM 7777. The mast is grounded. Do I still need to install a grounding block, and if so where should it go?

As others stated, put the coax grounding block near the entrance point of the house. It will not short out your preamp power supply.

All antenna and coax grounds should connect to the main electrical power ground source for your house. This is often a ground rod near the electric meter. In some areas (but only where allowed by local codes), the power may be grounded to a metal cold water pipe.

If you used a separate ground rod for the antenna mast, a large gauge ground wire should be connected between this rod and the main power ground source. This is called "bonding" and will reduce the possiblility of equipment damage due to differences in voltage potential between two ground sources.
post #459 of 16266 Old 10-25-2004, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SI67
If I wanted to try using more than one antenna for HD (one indoor, the other possibly outdoors) because of different required directions, do I need to use a switch, or can I just run both inputs "backwards" through a splitter?

Results are usually a crap shoot, but try connecting both antenna coaxes to the "outputs" of a Hybrid Splitter/Combiner, then run a single RG6 from the splitter/combiner's "input" to the TV or tuner. This may work perfectly, or it may kill some or all of your reception. More often than not, combining may cause varying or intermittent reception problems.

If it doesn't work, try reversing the wires on one of the antenna's 300/75 ohm matching transformer (balun).

If still no luck, the best choice for using two antennas is an A/B switch. Remote controlled A/B switches work well for this.
post #460 of 16266 Old 10-25-2004, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by arxaw

If you used a separate ground rod for the antenna mast, a large gauge ground wire should be connected between this rod and the main power ground source. This is called "bonding" and will reduce the possiblility of equipment damage due to differences in voltage potential between two ground sources.

Uh now I'm confused. The coax cable and the business part of the antenna are attached to the house electrical system through the receiver, and so the coax shield should be grounded to the house electric system to avoid ground loops. The antenna mast is electrically isolated from the business end of the TV antenna and coax (otherwise the mast would be part of the antenna which would not be a good thing). Since the mast is isolated from the house electrical system under normal conditions it should not develop a ground loop using a different ground. That's how a installer explained it to me, is he wrong or did I misunderstand him?

Human perception is not a direct consequence of reality, but rather an act of imagination. - Michael Faraday
post #461 of 16266 Old 10-25-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What installer told you this? Satellite TV?

Read the literature that comes with every outdoor antenna, it tells you to bond BOTH coax shield and antenna mast to the main electrical power ground. There is usually a diagram included showing both items grounded to the same common ground.

It is also against national electric code (NEC) to not bond all grounds electrically to the same source for: antennas, satellite, cable TV and telephone.
post #462 of 16266 Old 10-27-2004, 11:01 AM

A friend of mine says he recalls seeing rigid 75-ohm coax cable connectors that are several inches long and would be inserted through a wall, leaving the threaded female connector end sticking out on either side. They'd be just like the common cable couplers that are are about an inch, just much longer. Now that I think about it, I'm a little dubious because there would need to be a number of different lengths to accommodate various wall thicknesses. He is certain he has seen them somewhere, but now that he and I could both use such a thing, we can't find a shred of information. Has anyone heard of of these things?

I know about feed-through bushings (available in black or white), of course, but was hoping to avoid having to acquire the tools to do my own cutting and termination.

Steve
Sunnyvale

SI
post #463 of 16266 Old 10-27-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never seen what you describe but you could accomplish the same thing by using two wall plates and running a short length of coax between them inside the wall. You'd have to put the plates at slightly different heights on the wall so they wouldn't be directly opposite one another but it should work fine. You could use a preterminated 1m cable and just bunch up the excess inside the wall. I wouldn't hesitate to terminate either, it's really not difficult. Screw-on terminations are available if you don't want to fool with crimping.
post #464 of 16266 Old 10-28-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cpcat
... Screw-on terminations are available if you don't want to fool with crimping.

Some people on this forum claim that the screw-on RG6 connectors are no good, but I've used them a few times when I didn't have crimping tools available, and they've always worked well.
post #465 of 16266 Old 10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well, after reading 24 pages of post, I still have my question.
I am getting good signal on my new 4228 pointed in one direction, but now think that I might do to put up a second antenna in the opposite direction to get some stations that are coming from other areas.

If I put it up near the first antenna, is there some soft of UHF combiner that I can use in order to re-use or continue to use the RG6 that I have running to the house? I would rather not run another line, and would love to just combine these signals.

thanks
tb
post #466 of 16266 Old 10-28-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoboy
... If I put it up near the first antenna, is there some soft of UHF combiner that I can use in order to re-use or continue to use the RG6 that I have running to the house?

You can try combining the two antennas, using a hybrid splitter/combiner like this one from Radio Shaft:

Connect the 2 antenna inputs to "Set 1" & "Set 2" on the splitter/combiner. Run a single RG6 to the tuner, from the connector marked "INPUT".

Combining 2 antennas is a crap shoot, and frequently causes problems with some channels, or sometimes kills all your channels. If you have problems, try reversing the flat wire balun leads on one of the antennas, to see if reception improves. If no improvement, you'll need to run 2 coax leads and connect them to an A/B switch to change antennas when you want to watch the ones from a different direction. RatShaft also has remote controlled A/B switches for about 35 bucks.
post #467 of 16266 Old 10-28-2004, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoboy
Well, after reading 24 pages of post, I still have my question.
I am getting good signal on my new 4228 pointed in one direction, but now think that I might do to put up a second antenna in the opposite direction to get some stations that are coming from other areas....

And if that fails, the obvious solution is a rotor ....
post #468 of 16266 Old 10-28-2004, 09:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I live just around 9-10 miles away from the broadcasting towers and using an outdoor atenna with my LG LST4200A and only can get the signal to the 50%-55%.

Does anyone have any suggestion about any other atennas, preamp, etc... that may help to get more signal strenght?

Thanks!
post #469 of 16266 Old 10-28-2004, 10:56 PM

I currently have a Pioneer HDTV with cox basic cable (not digital) and Directv for international package.

I am thinking about buying the LG LST-3510 HD set top box with DVD to capture local HD. Centreville is about 25miles to all the local station. Has anyone had good experiences with an indoor antenna like Gemini ZHDTV1 HDTV-UHF in the area? I rather not deal with an attic or outdoor antenna if I can help it. Will the fact that Centreville is on the flight path for Dulles affect reception?

The only thing I will be watching on HD is Redskins games therefore I don't want to spend the extra money for Cox HD. I have also heard a lot of good things with a direct DVI to DVI from the DVD player to the HDTV. Is it a better picture than just the component video connection?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
post #470 of 16266 Old 10-29-2004, 06:46 AM

If I want to better educate myself on antenna installation, are there "good" books, magazines out there that are up to date? Also does one need to be a cert electrician, or call one when it comes to the grounding issues? I would assume not, since most people are DIY installers.

Go Wildcats!
post #471 of 16266 Old 10-29-2004, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by haidaovcf
I live just around 9-10 miles away from the broadcasting towers and using an outdoor atenna with my LG LST4200A and only can get the signal to the 50%-55%.

"Outdoor antenna" tells us exactly nothing about what kind of antenna you have. There are as many different types of outdoor antenna as you can imagine. Please post a picture or model number so we can take a better stab at what the problem might be.
post #472 of 16266 Old 10-29-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mws6468
If I want to better educate myself on antenna installation, are there "good" books, magazines out there that are up to date? Also does one need to be a cert electrician, or call one when it comes to the grounding issues? I would assume not, since most people are DIY installers.

Most antenna installation is not learned from books. It's learned by putting a few up. If you're a generally handy person, you can figure out most of it without much trouble. I'm generally not handy, yet managed to install a Winegard HD7084-P on my roof using a chimney mount (+guy wires) secure enough to survive 75mph winds.

I'd guess that most certified electricians would have no clue how to ground an antenna. There are several threads on this board that list detailed requirements for proper grounding.
post #473 of 16266 Old 10-29-2004, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
Ok... I just got an HDTV and i'm going to have to get an antenna. My question is- How do I know where to point it? What do I point it towards?

Also, what antenna do you recommend? I don't really want to put it on my roof but I may have to. I heard about the squareshooter but I'm not sure if it's actually good.

Thanks

post #474 of 16266 Old 10-29-2004, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

www.antennaweb.org is a great place to start.

Check your local market's thread for more information on stations and what people are using.

Generic antenna questions belong in the antenna discussion thread stuck at the top of this forum.
post #475 of 16266 Old 10-29-2004, 09:21 PM

I've just received my T351 HDTV receiver and I'm trying to get reception via a Silver Sensor Digital HDTV antenna. When I plug the antenna into the coax input on the receiver I get the message "no signal". When I go into the menuing system on the T351 to signal strength I get 0 bars. I live in the city of Chicago and am 2 miles from the sears tower (where I understand that the broadcast is coming from). The antenna is an indoor antenna and I have tried moving it around thru out my condo without getting any bars on my signal strength.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I could understand if I were only getting a few bars that the signal was weak but it seems suprising that I would get no signal whatsoever.

Does this mean that my receiver is DOA or is it possible that with an indoor antenna I am really getting no HDTV signal at all?

Thanks in advance!!
post #476 of 16266 Old 10-30-2004, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy123
I've just received my T351 HDTV receiver and I'm trying to get reception via a Silver Sensor Digital HDTV antenna. When I plug the antenna into the coax input on the receiver I get the message "no signal". When I go into the menuing system on the T351 to signal strength I get 0 bars.

Have you done a channel scan?
post #477 of 16266 Old 10-30-2004, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mws6468
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a useful guide to some of the basics: http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/AntInstallGuide.pdf
post #478 of 16266 Old 10-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy123
I've just received my T351 HDTV receiver and I'm trying to get reception via a Silver Sensor Digital HDTV antenna. When I plug the antenna into the coax input on the receiver I get the message "no signal". When I go into the menuing system on the T351 to signal strength I get 0 bars. I live in the city of Chicago and am 2 miles from the sears tower (where I understand that the broadcast is coming from). The antenna is an indoor antenna and I have tried moving it around thru out my condo without getting any bars on my signal strength.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I could understand if I were only getting a few bars that the signal was weak but it seems suprising that I would get no signal whatsoever.

Does this mean that my receiver is DOA or is it possible that with an indoor antenna I am really getting no HDTV signal at all?

Thanks in advance!!

A good diagnostic tool in your situation would be to hook the antenna up to a small portable tv and check local analog signals like 2,5,7,9,20,26,32,38,44,60,and 66.If most are watchable with little snow,and minimal ghosting(multiple images) then you should have at least some signal showing up on the DT side.If not,the box may be bad.
post #479 of 16266 Old 10-31-2004, 11:29 AM

Hey All,
I'm located in South Haven MI. which is on the lake approx. between Holland and St.Joe. I will be putting up an antenna w/ rotor and pre-amp for HDTV this fall.I somewhat fall on the outer edges of the G.R., South Bend,IN., and Chicago markets
Since all but three of the stations I want are UHF,the exceptions being WWMT 2,WOOD 7,do I want a huge 12ft deep fringe comboUHF/VHF antenna? Or would I be better off with 1 or 2 stacked deep fringe UHF ones on a rotor combined with a seperate VHF one fixed at those two stations mentioned?
To spin that 12fter around in the winter not to mention the installation involved would'nt seem to make sense. thanks
post #480 of 16266 Old 10-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bobbehr
Hey All,
I'm located in South Haven MI. which is on the lake approx. between Holland and St.Joe. I will be putting up an antenna w/ rotor and pre-amp for HDTV this fall.I somewhat fall on the outer edges of the G.R., South Bend,IN., and Chicago markets
Since all but three of the stations I want are UHF,the exceptions being WWMT 2,WOOD 7,do I want a huge 12ft deep fringe comboUHF/VHF antenna? Or would I be better off with 1 or 2 stacked deep fringe UHF ones on a rotor combined with a seperate VHF one fixed at those two stations mentioned?
To spin that 12fter around in the winter not to mention the installation involved would'nt seem to make sense. thanks

A good all-around performing setup in your situation would be a CM4228 8-bay for UHF,and a Winegard 5030 mounted 3ft below that for VHF.CM9521 rotor and CM7777 preamp and you're good to go.The overall windload is not that great,so the masting/support structure needn't be too elaborate or expensive.At some point down the road you WILL want to move the VHF.

All the above can be purchased at www.warrenelectronics.com
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread - Cm4228hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page