Forum Jump: 

post #7381 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Trey View Post

Perhaps either improper assembly or a defective balun?

The instructions that come with the antenna suck. I thought it was very possible that I put it together wrong. However there's much better instructions w/ pictures at solidsignal.com My assembly is exactly like it's shown there. It's a PITA to connect the cable with the preamp on it. The balun points towards the rear reflectors and there's barely enough room to fit the preamp in there.

I'm leaning towards something being wrong with the balun. The cable connector on it is not real great. It spins slightly when the final tightening of the cable is made. The only thing that makes me doubt that diagnosis is the fact that ONE station does come in at around 80 strength. If the balun connection was broken or defective it seems like that wouldn't be happening.

Quote:

please supply tv fool results of your exact addres,

Here's the results for all channels, with coordinate instead of address search:

Attachment 98987
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

What are you using for an antenna

Sorry Rick... been out for a bit. I've got a CM4228 and Winegard YA-1713 both in the attic connected to the CM7777. My UHF stations are 53 miles away, and the VHF station (Ch 9) is 63 miles away and the weakest transmitter of the bunch (WALA). I am in ZIP 32564. Reception is pretty solid in good weather but I'm worried that splitting it 3 or 4 ways with a passive splitter will lead to too much signal loss. On the other hand, I was worried about clipping if I used a distribution amp with the 7777 preamp. One guy replied that I'd be fine and I didn't want to use a distribution amp if I already had a 7777... I just wanted to make sure that applied in my fringe reception situation.
post #7383 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ GAINS BOND View Post

ok folks, i have a 52" sony xbr 5, zip code is 06377, sterling ct, what would be the best antenna for all, if at all possible? thx in advance for your help, yes I've read through some pages, lol. Here's a link http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx

bizzump any help is greatly appreciated.
post #7384 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Go to tvfool.com and put your zip in and see what they come up with. Looks like you're in a hard area for reception of a lot of stations. Antennaweb shows 3 VHF and 1 UHF so you need a good high gain VHF/UHF combo on a rotor. Winegard and CM have some on their websites. You don't mention any obstructions like trees or hills or whatever between you and the transmitters or whether you want an indoor or outdoor array or an attic antenna. If you want to shoot for other stations than those 4 showing up on Antennaweb then an outdoor array on a rotor might be best. You need line of site (LOS) for best reception; trees and hills can be murder for reception. What indoor one have you tried? Sometimes sticking one in the attic can work. The specific antenna is hard to say until your particular location factors are given. your distance from the transmitters is not too bad.
post #7385 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

the chart suggests reception challenges.

Yep, very fringe on many of the channels. If I got next to nothing with the VU-90 I'd understand it. But receiving five with it vs. one with the supposedly superior XG91 has me scratching my head. The loss of WWLP-DT even makes some sense as it's really out of the recommended freq. range of the XG (high VHF 11).

I guess I'll take apart the balun and see what it looks like in there.
post #7386 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm at a loss on the VU 90 being superior too. I had one, and it stunk on UHF, that's why I can't understand the XG not being much better. The VHF was OK, but nothing to brag about either.
post #7387 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Dare View Post

Yep, very fringe on many of the channels. If I got next to nothing with the VU-90 I'd understand it. But receiving five with it vs. one with the supposedly superior XG91 has me scratching my head. The loss of WWLP-DT even makes some sense as it's really out of the recommended freq. range of the XG (high VHF 11).

I guess I'll take apart the balun and see what it looks like in there.

I had problems with the 91XG when I had all 3 booms assembled, but in my case, it was due to overload. My results were better with just one boom than all 3, but 2 seemed to be the best compromise for the moment. If it is convenient, I would be curious to know if you see a similar result. My 91XG is also pointing at WTIC, incidentally, but from SE CT.

While WGGB is stronger on the more exact TV Fool plot, it still doesn't seem strong enough to cause overload. It is about 15dBm weaker than my overload stations in SE CT.

When I first saw the 91XG box, I was surprised by how small it was. As I discovered while assembling, a smaller box = more work. I had to take a few breaks to assemble it as my hands were so worn out. It makes the CM4228 seem so much easier, despite its weight.

What do you see on the analog UHF stations with the 91XG. If you could post a few pictures of them with the VU-90 and the 91XG, it may help to figure out what is wrong. Is there any sign of analog WVIT 30?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7388 of 16271 Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM

This may be a simple question, but I really need a decent little indoor antenna to receive digital channels. I have three tuners: a US Digital box, the tuner built into my Panny plasma, and a USB ATSC tuner. I will most likely only be feeding one of these, but I *may* split to two. Anyway, I live in metro Jackson, MS, zip code 39211, and here is what AntennaWeb has to say:

* yellow - uhf WJTV-DT 12.1 CBS JACKSON MS 239° 17.4 52
* yellow - uhf WMPN-DT 20.1 PBS JACKSON MS 231° 19.4 20
* yellow - uhf WAPT-DT 16.1 ABC JACKSON MS 234° 10.6 21
* red - uhf WDBD-DT 35.1 FOX Jackson MS 232° 17.4 41
* red - vhf WLBT-DT 3.1 NBC JACKSON MS 232° 17.4 9

Nothing over 19.4 miles. However, the tiny old RCA antenna I have only seems to pick up FOX and CBS, and I get poor signal quality. I live in a condo complex (single story only) so it needs to be an indoor antenna. If this is the wrong place or perhaps answered somewhere else, I apologize. Thanks in advance for any advice.
post #7389 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 AM

I live in the boon docks, about 50-60 miles from the towers I want, however, they lie in all directions - yes, 60 miles in all directions. I have an antenna on the roof (20 foot peak with a 10 foot mast-stand combination), with a new rotator (CM9521a). I need a good one size fits all directional antenna that can receive both UHF and VHF all the way down to channel 3, since there is a pretty even mix of both in the area. The digital signals don't seem to be only broadcasting in UHF. I don't want to overload my mast with two antennas, because we occasionally get some pretty high winds.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on the best deep fringe UHF/VHF antenna? I realize that a combination of something like the VIP-306 (or another yagi) and a CM4228 would produce the the best signal (when combined with a Titan 7777), but I don't think it would be wise to add onto the mast (since most of that 10 feet is stand, only about 3 feet is mast) and hike up a CM4228 on a rotator (I hear the wind resistance to that thing is pretty high). I think the wind would rip down the stand and a portion of my roof in the first strong storm.
post #7390 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post

This may be a simple question, but I really need a decent little indoor antenna to receive digital channels. I have three tuners: a US Digital box, the tuner built into my Panny plasma, and a USB ATSC tuner. I will most likely only be feeding one of these, but I *may* split to two. Anyway, I live in metro Jackson, MS, zip code 39211, and here is what AntennaWeb has to say:

* yellow - uhf WJTV-DT 12.1 CBS JACKSON MS 239° 17.4 52
* yellow - uhf WMPN-DT 20.1 PBS JACKSON MS 231° 19.4 20
* yellow - uhf WAPT-DT 16.1 ABC JACKSON MS 234° 10.6 21
* red - uhf WDBD-DT 35.1 FOX Jackson MS 232° 17.4 41
* red - vhf WLBT-DT 3.1 NBC JACKSON MS 232° 17.4 9

Nothing over 19.4 miles. However, the tiny old RCA antenna I have only seems to pick up FOX and CBS, and I get poor signal quality. I live in a condo complex (single story only) so it needs to be an indoor antenna. If this is the wrong place or perhaps answered somewhere else, I apologize. Thanks in advance for any advice.

All of your stations are in the same direction, so a directional antenna is fine. Is the "tiny old RCA antenna" a UHF loop (~8" in diameter) and rabbit ears for VHF tabletop antenna? WLBT-DT NBC 3 is on upper VHF 9. WJTV-DT CBS 12 will be moving it's digital channel from UHF 52 to VHF 12 by Feb. 17, 2009. So you need an indoor antenna to get UHF and upper VHF.

First, have you tried different locations and aim for the RCA antenna? Raised it higher up in the room, placed it in a window facing SW in the direction of the stations? Tweaked the aim of the rabbit ears and shortened them to ~ 32" long to try to get WLBT-DT NBC? If it has a UHF loop, aimed the open face of the loop towards the stations?

If that does not work, a Silver Sensor UHF antenna combined with rabbit ears for VHF is a good next step. Hate to recommend Terks, but they are available at local stores. The Terk HDTVi is an unamplified version, but is not widely carried by the chain stores. The Terk HDTVa has a built-in amp and is rather overpriced at $50, but can be found at many local stores. Another option is a 2 Bay bowtie such as the Channel Master 4220 mounted on a mast facing a window or outside on a deck if you have one.
post #7391 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

What do you see on the analog UHF stations with the 91XG. If you could post a few pictures of them with the VU-90 and the 91XG, it may help to figure out what is wrong. Is there any sign of analog WVIT 30?

Thanks for your help. The antenna is up on my garage roof and we got 8" of snow yesterday. It's going to be a week or two before I'll be climbing up there to experiment again.
post #7392 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemboy007 View Post

I live in the boon docks, about 50-60 miles from the towers I want, however, they lie in all directions - yes, 60 miles in all directions. I have an antenna on the roof (20 foot peak with a 10 foot mast-stand combination), with a new rotator (CM9521a). I need a good one size fits all directional antenna that can receive both UHF and VHF all the way down to channel 3, since there is a pretty even mix of both in the area. The digital signals don't seem to be only broadcasting in UHF. I don't want to overload my mast with two antennas, because we occasionally get some pretty high winds.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on the best deep fringe UHF/VHF antenna? I realize that a combination of something like the VIP-306 (or another yagi) and a CM4228 would produce the the best signal (when combined with a Titan 7777), but I don't think it would be wise to add onto the mast (since most of that 10 feet is stand, only about 3 feet is mast) and hike up a CM4228 on a rotator (I hear the wind resistance to that thing is pretty high). I think the wind would rip down the stand and a portion of my roof in the first strong storm.

Might help if you would reveal your general location/markets you're wanting to pick up.
post #7393 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in the boon docks, about 50-60 miles from the towers I want, however, they lie in all directions - yes, 60 miles in all directions. I have an antenna on the roof (20 foot peak with a 10 foot mast-stand combination), with a new rotator (CM9521a).

Your zip code would provide a better understanding of your location, terrain, what frequency bands the stations are on and whether any will move from UHF to VHF high or even low next year.
post #7394 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

All of your stations are in the same direction, so a directional antenna is fine. Is the "tiny old RCA antenna" a UHF loop (~8" in diameter) and rabbit ears for VHF tabletop antenna? WLBT-DT NBC 3 is on upper VHF 9. WJTV-DT CBS 12 will be moving it's digital channel from UHF 52 to VHF 12 by Feb. 17, 2009. So you need an indoor antenna to get UHF and upper VHF.

First, have you tried different locations and aim for the RCA antenna? Raised it higher up in the room, placed it in a window facing SW in the direction of the stations? Tweaked the aim of the rabbit ears and shortened them to ~ 32" long to try to get WLBT-DT NBC? If it has a UHF loop, aimed the open face of the loop towards the stations?

If that does not work, a Silver Sensor UHF antenna combined with rabbit ears for VHF is a good next step. Hate to recommend Terks, but they are available at local stores. The Terk HDTVi is an unamplified version, but is not widely carried by the chain stores. The Terk HDTVa has a built-in amp and is rather overpriced at $50, but can be found at many local stores. Another option is a 2 Bay bowtie such as the Channel Master 4220 mounted on a mast facing a window or outside on a deck if you have one.

This is some great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me in such detail.

The antenna I have is a UHF loop and rabbit ears - I put the antenna up as high as could, got no real improvement, and played a little bit - I guess I should hook it up again and see if I can make it work better.

I will take a look at the other antennas you mentioned. I wish I could go with a CM antenna, but my complex frowns on ugly things hanging outside on our patios.
post #7395 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM

Of course...
I live in 49412...Michigan.

It's somewhat hilly, but not horribly, and I'm near the top of one of the small hills. Mostly farmland. I have a few medium size deciduous trees nearby, but they're not usually a problem.

I currently have an 8 foot antenna of unknown make, probably 20-50 years old with approximately 100 foot run of RG-11 leading to the one (very pretty 47" Philips 1080p) TV.

My reception is mediocre, currently, and I hope that upgrading to a deep fringe will give me the Southern Grand Rapids and Cadillac stations without the drop out problems I periodically get, now (even in seemingly ideal weather).

Oh, and my one wish is for World Peace...B-)

Antenna suggestions?
post #7396 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in 49412...Michigan.

antennaweb.org list the following stations for your ZIP code. I have set the antenna height at 500' to overcome antennaweb's very conservative estimates.

* yellow - uhf WZZM-DT 13.1 ABC GRAND RAPIDS MI 175° 10.9 39
* yellow - uhf WCMU-DT 14.2 PBS MOUNT PLEASANT MI FCC Ext 66° 41.8 56
* green - uhf WTLJ-DT 54.1 IND MUSKEGON MI 181° 35.2 24
* lt green - vhf WOOD-DT 8.1 NBC GRAND RAPIDS MI 162° 58.2 7
* lt green - uhf WWTV-DT 9.1 CBS CADILLAC MI 38° 55.3 40
* red - uhf WXMI-DT 17.1 FOX GRAND RAPIDS MI 163° 57.7 19
* red - vhf WGVU-DT 35.1 PBS GRAND RAPIDS MI 180° 35.0 11
* blue - uhf WOTV-DT 41.1 ABC BATTLE CREEK MI 163° 66.4 20
* blue - vhf WWMT-DT 3.1 CBS KALAMAZOO MI 165° 61.2 2
* violet - uhf WMKG-DT 38 FMN MUSKEGON MI TBD 220° 18.0 38
* violet - uhf WZPX-DT 43.1 ION BATTLE CREEK MI 145° 70.2 44

WWMT/CBS 3 (DT 2) is going to tough to get, due to this station being on Low-VHF. 2 and 3 are especially hard to receive. However, WWMT will be moving to High-VHF 8 next year, which should be considerably easier to pick-up.

Western Michigan has quite a few VHF DTV stations as compared to the rest of the country.

WGVK/PBS 52 (DT 5) is slated to remain on Low-VHF 5, so if you have a need to receive that station. Note that antennaweb would not show it even at 500', but there appears to be an outside to be able to receive it.

If you can receive WWTV for CBS and WCMU for PBS, then you may not need to worry about Low-VHF.

WZZM/ABC is not very far at all, at 10.9 miles. This will cause problems, especially with a pre-amp as it will likely overload most pre-amps when the antenna is pointed in that direction.

If you are looking for a VHF/UHF combo and still want to have Low-VHF capability, then you may want to look at something like a Channel Master 3671 or a Winegard HD8200P. ...oh my, the HD8200P has been discontinued by Winegard?

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HD8200P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7397 of 16271 Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

..oh my, the HD8200P has been discontinued by Winegard?

There is a replacement that is UPS shippable!

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HD8200U
post #7398 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 AM

I currently have an old Radio Shack antenna mounted on a two story house. Height of the antenna is probably 25 feet or so. I live in a wooded area south of Memphis with big trees about 200 feet away from the house in the direction of the towers. I cannot receive channels 5.1 or 13.1 with this setup. The other digital channels come in pretty good, more so in the winter with leaves off the trees. The coax cable is ran through an amplifier inside the house and split off to two tv's. Below are the antennaweb results. Zip is 38651. Can someone recommend an antenna to try and improve the reception on these two channels? Thanks. Mike

red - uhf WREG-DT 3.1 CBS MEMPHIS TN 30° 22.8 28
red - uhf WKNO-DT 10.1 PBS MEMPHIS TN 34° 21.6 29
blue - uhf WLMT-DT 30.1 CW MEMPHIS TN 29° 30.0 31
blue - uhf WMC-DT 5.1 NBC MEMPHIS TN 29° 30.0 52
blue - uhf WPTY-DT 24.1 ABC MEMPHIS TN 29° 30.0 25
violet - uhf WHBQ-DT 13.1 FOX MEMPHIS TN 29° 22.1 53
post #7399 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

I toyed with the antenna some more using your advice. I had just unplugged it and put it in the closet after having unsatisfactory results before. I am now able to get 9 digital stations (ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, their substations, and another that I'm not sure of). Signal strength is excellent. My tuner does not even find NBC (3.1), though. This is with a US Digital standalone tuner - I will try my television's built-in ATSC tuner later. I am very happy to get HDTV now - Comcast here does not give us any freebie QAM stations.
post #7400 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Ok..

I live at zipcode 92571 and my local Digital channels are from Los Angeles. I am about 55 miles from Mt. Wilson and live in an apartment. Currently, I recieve all my local channel (except 13 but I don't need this) by using the Square Shooter ss-1000 with the CM-7777. What I am worried about is in 2009, channels 2-5 will stay on UHF (good) but 7,9,11,13 will be on the High Band VHF. Will this setup still work for me or do I need to change my antenna? Also, what would be a good antenna for my situation (apartment on the second floor with a balcony facing towards Mt. Wilson).

Thanks.

Proud owner of 3 HD DVD players and 170+ HD DVD movies.
post #7401 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarbier View Post

What I am worried about is in 2009, channels 2-5 will stay on UHF (good) but 7,9,11,13 will be on the High Band VHF. Will this setup still work for me or do I need to change my antenna? Also, what would be a good antenna for my situation (apartment on the second floor with a balcony facing towards Mt. Wilson).

The Square Shooter is probably not going to get it done. For now, the best way to tell is to look at the analog VHF reception. If it is poor or worse, you will probably need to make a change or add a VHF antenna in '09.

Until recently, we did not have a local VHF DTV station, but KFLA-LD is now available on channel 8. However, it is a low power station and as such is probably not strong enough to pick-up in Perris.

post #7402 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emddvm View Post

The coax cable is ran through an amplifier inside the house and split off to two tv's.

Have you tested the reception without the amplifier? There are some strong stations at ~22 miles, which may overload an amp.

How is WPXX coming in on analog 50? Since the problem stations are in the 50's as well, this may give an indication of the problem. Higher frequencies tend to have more problems with trees.

post #7403 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:

* yellow - uhf WZZM-DT 13.1 ABC GRAND RAPIDS MI 175° 10.9 39
* yellow - uhf WCMU-DT 14.2 PBS MOUNT PLEASANT MI FCC Ext 66° 41.8 56
* green - uhf WTLJ-DT 54.1 IND MUSKEGON MI 181° 35.2 24
* lt green - vhf WOOD-DT 8.1 NBC GRAND RAPIDS MI 162° 58.2 7
* lt green - uhf WWTV-DT 9.1 CBS CADILLAC MI 38° 55.3 40
* red - uhf WXMI-DT 17.1 FOX GRAND RAPIDS MI 163° 57.7 19
* red - vhf WGVU-DT 35.1 PBS GRAND RAPIDS MI 180° 35.0 11
* blue - uhf WOTV-DT 41.1 ABC BATTLE CREEK MI 163° 66.4 20
* blue - vhf WWMT-DT 3.1 CBS KALAMAZOO MI 165° 61.2 2
* violet - uhf WMKG-DT 38 FMN MUSKEGON MI TBD 220° 18.0 38
* violet - uhf WZPX-DT 43.1 ION BATTLE CREEK MI 145° 70.2 44

WWMT/CBS 3 (DT 2) is going to tough to get, due to this station being on Low-VHF. 2 and 3 are especially hard to receive. However, WWMT will be moving to High-VHF 8 next year, which should be considerably easier to pick-up.

Western Michigan has quite a few VHF DTV stations as compared to the rest of the country.

WGVK/PBS 52 (DT 5) is slated to remain on Low-VHF 5, so if you have a need to receive that station. Note that antennaweb would not show it even at 500', but there appears to be an outside to be able to receive it.
If you can receive WWTV for CBS and WCMU for PBS, then you may not need to worry about Low-VHF.

WZZM/ABC is not very far at all, at 10.9 miles. This will cause problems, especially with a pre-amp as it will likely overload most pre-amps when the antenna is pointed in that direction.

If you are looking for a VHF/UHF combo and still want to have Low-VHF capability, then you may want to look at something like a Channel Master 3671 or a Winegard HD8200P. ...oh my, the HD8200P has been discontinued by Winegard?

I hadn't noticed the 8200U...I had been considering the 8200P when they canceled it. I was not happy. I don't understand the mix of UHF and VHF, does anyone have any idea why the stations are laid out the way they are? Is there a preference for one band over another? Is that important to the digital signal?

I've never gotten WCMU, WOTV or WZPX; but WGVU has three stations at 35.1, 35.2, and 35.3, Channel 8 runs an 8.1 and an 8.2 (the non cable version of the weather channel - all local satellite all the time). Channel 17 runs a 17.1 and a 17.2 (where they play music videos - usually 80s and 90s. I enjoy the nostalgia). I can see all of the others, but the issue is how well and how often.

When a broadcaster is using multiple channels, like 35.1, 35.2, and 35.3, do they use the same band and just squeeze more info into it, which the tuner then separates?

btw...thanks for the help finding an antenna. I think the 8200U is the perfect choice!
post #7404 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:

I currently have an old Radio Shack antenna mounted on a two story house. Height of the antenna is probably 25 feet or so. I live in a wooded area south of Memphis with big trees about 200 feet away from the house in the direction of the towers. I cannot receive channels 5.1 or 13.1 with this setup. The other digital channels come in pretty good, more so in the winter with leaves off the trees. The coax cable is ran through an amplifier inside the house and split off to two tv's. Below are the antennaweb results. Zip is 38651. Can someone recommend an antenna to try and improve the reception on these two channels? Thanks. Mike

Mike, a couple of things come to mind. Beware, I'm not one of the regular experts here...just a tinkerer.

1. Take the amplifier out of the circuit and see what happens.

2. If you can get to the antenna without much trouble slightly flex all the elements that you can...over a period of years oxidation and corrosion will cause high-resistant connections or even cause completely broken connections. While you're at it check the coax connections. I've done the "exercise" procedure on some older antennas and was quiet pleased with the results.

3. It looks like the two stations that you are interested in are (for now) in the upper UHF frequencies. If your antenna is a big, long, triangular shaped antenna it is probably predominately for VHF. A UHF antenna would probably help tremendously. I personally use an 8-bay Channel Master 4228 with a 7777 pre-amp and 100' of RG-6 coax. I really like the CM4228. They also make a 4-bay, the CM4221. You could also tinker with building one by checking out this link....diy antenna thread .

My stations range from 21, 40, and 67 miles from me...these all come in consistently with my setup. I've got a couple of stations in the 20-40 mile range that I *can't* receive though ...these are still running low-power with their antenna still at a low height, once they go full-power they will come in fine. You might need to check and make sure that the stations that you can't receive have adequate power and antenna height for you to receive them. Being as WMC-DT is at the bottom of the listing but it isn't the most distance station it makes me think it hasn't gone full-power or maybe it's antenna isn't that high.

It's still interesting that the two problem stations are in the upper UHF range. How does WPXX-DT 50.1 (ION) come in? It's close to the same frequencies as the two others. ????

Out of curiosity I checked...looks like WHBQ is running low-power of only a couple of kilowatts. WMC is putting out a touch under 400kw which really isn't too shabby. You can go here and enter your lat/long and see the distances/power/etc.,.

Just some thoughts,
Ed

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
...and haven't seen *my* bailout, yet!!!!
post #7405 of 16271 Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When a broadcaster is using multiple channels, like 35.1, 35.2, and 35.3, do they use the same band and just squeeze more info into it, which the tuner then separates?

All of the sub-channels are part of the same digital broadcast channel signal. An ATSC broadcast is a constant 19.4 Mb/sec data rate which can be divided into separate SD and a HD sub-channel. In this case, WGVU-DT 35 is broadcasting digitally on VHF 11 with 3 sub-channels.
post #7406 of 16271 Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Intheswamp and Falcon77
Thank you for the replies. I have used the amplifier for several years and had to replace it a year or so ago. Without it I had trouble getting any reception on the TV that is farthest away from the splitter. I can try and remove it again though and see what happens.
As far as channel 50.1, I don't receive it either and had never considered it, so you all may be right that there is a problem with the upper UHF channels. The radio shack antenna I have is a VHF/UHF. I don't really know how to describe it but it is long with two smaller parts that come off the top and bottom of the front part that is aimed towards the towers. It is at least 15 years old. I have tried moving it around some on the direction it is pointed but it hasn't improved anything. I started to check the coax connection not too long ago but didn't since it seemed to have a covering that had kind of "melted" and I was afraid I might not be able to get it back together if I took it apart.
I would like to keep the VHF analog channels for now so if I do replace the antenna should I get something that does UHF and VHF? It looks like the CM4228 is primarily UHF. I will try things without the amplifier again and may try and check the coax/antenna connection. I just hope I can get it back together...
Thanks again.
Mike
post #7407 of 16271 Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.s.lee View Post

Apparently we have a large TERK antenna inside the conference room that is adjacent to the room that I am working in. I have been informed that it does work, but I have not verified that myself. The setup seems to be an outdoor antenna, a few feet in length, maybe the diameter of a small coffee can. It happens to be just leaning against the wall in the room with all the wires. Luckily, the side of the building the antenna is working in faces at least two of the major broadcast locations.

Assuming that your building composition is cooperative, then I have a few questions:

1) Is this a temporary setup or long term?
The setup is long term

2) Are you interested in all digital channels or just one?
The more channels the better. However, there's no real specific channel needs to get to.

3) Can you access the space above the drop-ceiling?
Sure can, but it's preferable to keep the wire running within the same section of the room, as the building likes to have any extraneous wiring run by the electrician. I will have to double check to see what is acceptable by building policies.

4) Are you willing to ask for roof access (sometimes it's easier than you think)?
I think we are looking to minimize the complexity here. Roof access would be too much trouble for what usage the antenna would actually get. ( we already have DirecTV and the like)

5) Are there any constraints on antenna visibility/appearance?
It would be nice to have something we can hide away in a corner somewhere.

Thanks for your replies
post #7408 of 16271 Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I started to check the coax connection not too long ago but didn't since it seemed to have a covering that had kind of "melted" and I was afraid I might not be able to get it back together if I took it apart.

Melted?

It sounds like the antenna has a UHF corner reflector, but it appears that something in the cabling may be hindering the higher frequencies.

Which analog stations are you able to receive?

I would like to see a picture of that melted connection if possible.

post #7409 of 16271 Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any suggestions for an antenna here?

55:PBS 48deg, 7.6miles
59:CBS 61deg, 8.6miles

38:FOX 210deg, 12.9miles
51:ABC 180deg, 14.4miles
57:NBC 191deg, 13.1miles

I'm looking for an antenna (either outdoor or in attic) which could be fixed. All of these stations are close but they are in different directions. Was wondering if a round channelmaster 3002 smartenna might do the trick. I also have a 4221 uhf antenna in the attic that I might try taking the screen off from since it'll only work for 38,51,57 or 55,59 but not both at the moment. My main outdoor antenna is a dual 4248 horizontal mount combo that I was experimenting with for very distant stations -- this will work if pointed in between the stations but I'm now looking for something a bit smaller for just the local stations rather than the out of area ones.

Results:
Took the screen off the 4221 and pointed it toward 190 deg (the results are good enough). 55 didn't seem to lose signal or pixelate at all.
55:PBS 48deg, 7.6miles (53-58%)
59:CBS 61deg, 8.6miles (87%)

38:FOX 210deg, 12.9miles (100%)
51:ABC 180deg, 14.4miles (75%)
57:NBC 191deg, 13.1miles (100%)
LL
post #7410 of 16271 Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Everything was good till I decided to wire correctly. I have an U-75R from Radioshack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family It worked great on the stations below when it was mounted outside and connected directly to my TV. No it is fed to a distribution box and spit to two tvs. The signal seems very weak overall and fox will not work. Do I need a different antenna or a pre-amp? I also thought about moving the antenna into the attic, so there is less clutter outside at the dish.

The dish installer thought he could diplex this feed with the TV2 output from the DVR. When this was done, there was nothing from the stations below. Was this because he can not do this with diplexers or because the signal was too weak.

Thank you.

* yellow - uhf WCJB-DT 20.1 ABC GAINESVILLE FL 148° 20.1 miles 16
* yellow - uhf WGFL-DT 28.1 CBS HIGH SPRINGS FL 175° 9.8 miles 28
* red - uhf WOGX-DT 51.1 FOX OCALA FL 154° 32.7 miles 31
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread - Cm4228hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page