Forum Jump: 

post #14521 of 16271 Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just confused as to how to get stations 180 degrees apart and more at 90 degrees.

In his case with most of the stations at 227 and 318 degrees above 50 NM, it may be a blessing in disguise to have those stations in the antennas null zone or on the back side. As strong as the vhf stations are, he should be able to get those with a uhf only antenna.
The G-1483 http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-8517.html

would be about the cheapest way to go, 30 ft up in the air pointed at RF50 with maybe a small upward tilt.

Or he could build his own GH4 : http://clients.teksavvy.com/~nickm/gh_u/gh4_13u4.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14522 of 16271 Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

xosubuckeyex:

Welcome to the forum.

Your signals are very strong. Try this inexpensive indoor antenna first:
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103077

With an indoor antenna, sometimes it is necessary to try different locations. You can make the antenna coax longer by using an F81 coupler with a coax extension.
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103459
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103648

DO NOT use an antenna with a built-in amplifier; it will be overloaded.

Please let us know how it works out.

Unfortunately it worked out at about 70% rate. The signal will have a millisecond cut about every 30 seconds on some of the major channels. I'm only getting a strong signal on 4 stations + their substations.

The problem might be that I'm very constricted in the location of the antenna. Behind the TV, it faces the south, but there is probably about 2 feet of drywall/brick down the LOS on the way out of the building. Unless I'm willing to expose a coax along the ceiling of my living room to try different locations.

This antenna is very small (the wire circle is about 8" diameter), do you think I could get a "bigger" antenna to avoid all the cutting out? Or would that make no difference? Should I try a different antenna altogether in the same location?

As a last resort, if I'm forced to expose the coax cable, how long can I make this cable? I'm thinking I'll need about 30' before hitting an upstairs window.
post #14523 of 16271 Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the antenna needs to be moved around to find a better reception spot. Reception indoors is all about location. An outside wall or window away from any possibly interfering electronic devices, facing South would be best. You can probably add up to 50' of RG6 coax with no problems. It is a slow trial and error process, but eventually, you'll probably find a reliable spot for the antenna. Moving it as little as a foot at a time can make a huge difference. Slightly different elevations can make a huge difference, too.

If WGCT channel 8 is of no interest to you, all your other channels are in the UHF band, and the VHF dipole rods can likely be collapsed or even unscrewed from the antenna, without impacting reception. Extending them likely won't help with your UHF reception. UHF does not need a large antenna - one of several advantages of that band. And the loop on your antenna is actually larger than most other similar looking indoor antennas.
post #14524 of 16271 Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM

So I just moved to a townhome. Upon inspection I noticed Coax connections in every bedroom and the main floor and basement. I also noticed that there was a seperate line of dual coax that I assumed was coming from a Satalite. I checked outside and sure enough there was a dish on the roof. I went in the attic and there is also a large OTA antenna in the attic (6'x4'). I didnt want to pay for Dish, so I attempted to connect my TV (Sony KDL55EX710) to the regular Coax connection and i got low quality SDTV in widescreen with solid chanel #'s (2,4,5,7 etc.), in the past when I have done HDTV OTA they have been chanels with numbers like 2.1,5.1,7.3 etc.
I then hooked up a small bowtie antenna and got HDTV channels (1080, with digital chanel #s) although with poor reception (i didnt get all the local chanels...). So then I tried taking my bowtie antenna into the attic and unhooked the large OTA antenna and hooked up my small bowtie to the coax that was running to the OTA antenna. I still got low quality SDTV chanels with solid chanel #s!!!!
My question is this: Why am I getting these low quality SDTV chanels when I use the coax hookups on the wall, even when I disconnect what should be the source (large OTA antenna) and hook up my bowtie/ EVEN WHEN i am getting HDTV when i run my antenna straight to my TV????????? Thanks in advance!
post #14525 of 16271 Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The attic antenna should get your local digital OTA channels (with sub-channel numbers like 2-1, 5-1, etc.

It sounds like the coax you connected to the TV is going to some other source, or you're not doing a proper channel scan. Make sure you have selected Antenna channels in the channel setup menu, not Cable. Then run autoscan or "Add digital Channels."
post #14526 of 16271 Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To verify the coax connections and routing, I would short one end and use an ohm meter or continuity tester to sort them out.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #14527 of 16271 Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Since there are NO Analog channels on the air, they must be coming
from either an old SAT system or Cable. Trace & identify ALL cables.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #14528 of 16271 Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You need to sort out the spaghetti-mess of cabling. It appears that the cables don't do where you think they do. You're also getting analog cable from a cable hookup, so check the outside cable connection to see if it's connected and the cable company is still feeding it with a "basic" service.
post #14529 of 16271 Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 AM
A J

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Since there are NO Analog channels on the air...

There may not be any at that location, but there are several low power analog stations in the Charlotte area. Every time I re-scan I have to then delete all of those snowy analog channels. I wish my TV had only a digital tuner, like my CM-7000PAL DVR has, so analog stations would be ignored by the TV, too.
post #14530 of 16271 Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

There may not be any at that location, but there are several low power analog stations in the Charlotte area. Every time I re-scan I have to then delete all of those snowy analog channels. I wish my TV had only a digital tuner, like my CM-7000PAL DVR has, so analog stations would be ignored by the TV, too.

All analog LPs will be shut down by Sept 2015.
post #14531 of 16271 Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

... I wish my TV had only a digital tuner, like my CM-7000PAL DVR has, so analog stations would be ignored by the TV, too.

A lot of TV tuners now have "digital-only" scan, often referred to as "Add digital channels" or something similar. In addition to only scanning for digital, this option usually adds channels to the list of those found in the initial scan. A great feature for antenna freaks.

Many Sony TVs have this, as do Sanyo.
post #14532 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM

I ran a scan using "add digital chanels" from my tv. The really odd thing is how i get the digital chanels from my small antena when hooked directly from my tv, but not when i take the small antena to the attic. I am guessing that whoever lived here before bypassed that attic antenna and ran the coax to the SAT, any ideas how i verify this???
post #14533 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocobo23 View Post

I ran a scan using "add digital chanels" from my tv. The really odd thing is how i get the digital chanels from my small antena when hooked directly from my tv, but not when i take the small antena to the attic. I am guessing that whoever lived here before bypassed that attic antenna and ran the coax to the SAT, any ideas how i verify this???

Physically trace out the coax lines to see where they run. Or follow Ennui's instructions above, using an ohm meter or continuity tester.
post #14534 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM

I'm interested in getting a CM 3671 antenna, but everywhere I look the gain info isn't there. Anyone know what the gain numbers might be? Thanks.
post #14535 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would check with ChannelMaster. http://www.channelmaster.com

Where in South LA are you located?
post #14536 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

I would check with ChannelMaster. http://www.channelmaster.com

Where in South LA are you located?

Channelmaster site tells all you want to know about the 3671 except gain. Very strange.
I'm about 40 minutes northwest of Lafayette.
post #14537 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Channelmaster site tells all you want to know about the 3671 except gain.

Modeled gain charts for the CM3671B are here :
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
post #14538 of 16271 Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What station are you trying to receive that would require an all-channel antenna?
post #14539 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post

I'm interested in getting a CM 3671 antenna, but everywhere I look the gain info isn't there. Anyone know what the gain numbers might be? Thanks.

VHF-LO 5.6 db / VHF-Hi 10.9 db / UHF 10 db

Channel Master's UHF numbers look weak for such a large antenna, although it did well using Ken Nist's modeling.

As arxaw asked, what low band channel are you looking for? I don't see anything interesting near you below VHF 7.
post #14540 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Stark Electronic still has Gain Charts for old C-M antennas:
http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmg2.htm

and
and

post #14541 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Since there are NO Analog channels on the air, they must be coming
from either an old SAT system or Cable. Trace & identify ALL cables.

... and make sure that the coax going to the TV is screwed on tight! Last night, I went out on a service call at a condominium where I had previously installed a superb multi-market headend that mixes 18 transmitters from Washington, DC, Falls Church and Goldvein, Virginia, and Baltimore and Annapolis Maryland. The complaint was that the resident was not getting WRC 4.1 and was instead getting "Comcast" on channel 4, but only in the morning.

Wel, since WRC 4.1 used to be on analog 4 but is now on UHF 48, there was no direct connection between the missing digital channel and the phantom analog one. This customer's condo is less than one mile from the 4.1, channel 48 transmitter and the direct UHF 48 leaking into the push-on F fitting on the back of their TV was phase canceling the desired processed UHF 48 from the master antenna system, and the phantom analog 4 was probably because a neighbor in a nearby unit was using the channel 4 RF output on his cable box or VCR, and that neighbor's own push connector jumper was enabling his cable box output to be weakly broadcast. I solved the problem for this customer by just giving her the little piece of coax that was attached to my test meter. I won't even bother to find out who is leaking analog 4 in the building because it is now of no concern to me.
post #14542 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

What station are you trying to receive that would require an all-channel antenna?

This antenna's main purpose will be for DXing. No particular channel for continuous viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

VHF-LO 5.6 db / VHF-Hi 10.9 db / UHF 10 db

Channel Master's UHF numbers look weak for such a large antenna, although it did well using Ken Nist's modeling.

As arxaw asked, what low band channel are you looking for? I don't see anything interesting near you below VHF 7.

A large part of my DXing will be Mexico and Central America and hopefully farther south...all low band VHF. And the numbers do look a bit weak. That's why I'm getting comparisons with this Antennacraft 1850 which is slightly larger, and VHF-lo shows as 6.2 db. But another concern is quality. Does the 1850 have the same quality as the CM 3671? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Quote:

Stark Electronic still has Gain Charts for old C-M antennas:
http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmg2.htm

Thanks for those charts Holl_ands
post #14543 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, makes sense, now.
post #14544 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM

I posted this already elsewhere in the forum, but I was advised to post it here, so sorry for the double-post.

I am new to Houston, and my husband and I bought a new HDTV two weeks ago. We want to get OTA programming since we mostly just watch a few sitcoms and Netflix, no sports. The only channels we care about are the main network channels plus PBS (so, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS).

The problem is, it's looking impossible to get OTA. I began with an inexpensive rabbit ears-style antenna (RCA Basic Indoor Antenna). Initially, that got NBC, PBS (sometimes), and FOX, but not CBS or ABC. We watched one night of TV on NBC, but during the first minute of the last show, it began cutting out badly (it had been basically perfect previously), so we turned it off. Since then, we can barely get ANYTHING (usually channel 38 and sometimes 20 and others above channel 38), despite trying multiple positions (although we are limited now by a short-ish cord--maybe 3-4 feet?). So, I bought a fancy $75 antenna at an electronics store: it was a flat, multidirectional, amplified indoor antenna, and it was no better, so I returned it (I now know that the amplified bit was a problem, and given the location of Houston's antenna farm, the multidirectional probably wasn't helpful). The cord wasn't long enough for either of the antennas to be actually on the windowsill, but the positions pointing directly out the window didn't seem to be any better (about a foot away from the window, although also pretty low, since the only space was on top of the coffee table).

There are lots of things going against our set-up, I know: the only window in our living room (where the TV is) faces north, and so does our balcony. We are living in a second (top) floor apartment in zip code 77027 (about 13 miles from the antenna farm), and Greenway Plaza is just a few blocks to the south of us, so that's probably in the way, too (the signals are pretty much all southwest of us).

So, my question is, is there anything better I can try without an outdoor antenna? Although some people have satellite dishes in my complex, they are pretty much all attached to balconies, not the roof, and I don't think an antenna would help in that case (since my balcony faces north and it would actually be attached at a lower point than the indoor antenna is located). I am in an end unit, so from one end of my balcony, I have about 5 feet to the corner; if I had an antenna that could stretch that far (or reach the corner), then it might get some signal to the south (but still, Greenway Plaza is in the way). I've seen a lot of people recommend the following antennas, but I'm not sure if any of these are likely to help in my situation:

Terk Technology HDTVi VHF/UHF HDTV Indoor Antenna
Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna
RCA ANT751R Outdoor Antenna
Winegard HD7696P Off-Air HDTV Antenna (rec. by hdtvantennalabs.com)

Any advice? Thanks!
post #14545 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
> A large part of my DXing will be Mexico and Central America and
> hopefully farther south...all low band VHF.

Why not seperates? (3 antennas: VHF-LO + VHF-HI + UHF)
Higher performance and easier to filter out interference from
non-TV frequencies.
post #14546 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

He may want to consider a Winegard 8200 as well as the CM3671.
post #14547 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

bcg123,
Please enter your address at http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
Post a link to the results page back in this thread.

There are no magic antennas that will make up for poor indoor location, but perhaps we can suggest something to at least try.
post #14548 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad2 View Post

non-TV frequencies.

I know that separate antennas are better, but more costly and more windload(stacked). Although I can see that possibility down the road.
post #14549 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad2 View Post

non-TV frequencies.

Agree, plus you could easily stack the VHF-HI and UHF for even more gain.
post #14550 of 16271 Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd
Gear in this thread - Cm4228hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page